Ingrid Alexandra's 18th birthday: 21 January, 2022 & birthday celebrations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good news that a date has been set for June!

That will be an exciting event to watch. Which foreign guests should we expect? The Scandinavian Royals? Or the godparents?

Of the foreign royal guests, I would expect to see Victoria & Daniel, Mary & Fred, King Felipe (as god father, if he can make it). I would also like to see her peers (Elizabeth of Belgium, Catherine-Amalia of Netherlands and possibly, Leonor of Spain) attend, possibly with a parent to guide them.

That will be an exciting event to watch. Which foreign guests should we expect? The Scandinavian Royals? Or the godparents?

I certainly hope that her royal godparents will attend but as it is on a Thursday and Friday i have my doubts that King Felipe will come.
And it would be nice if King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima and Queen Mathilde will attend and bring perhaps Amalia and Elisabeth but that depends probably on school/university holidays

Last edited:
The Scandinavian Royals are thankfully still quite close knit , I hope King Felipe as one of her godparents attends but not sure about queen Letizia.

Love that the celebrations could be rescheduled. Would be great to see royals attend, especially her god parents. Christian attended her confirmation so he might go too. It would be really nice to see the younger generation (Elisabeth, Amalia, etc)

Of the foreign royal guests, I would expect to see Victoria & Daniel, Mary & Fred, King Felipe (as god father, if he can make it). I would also like to see her peers (Elizabeth of Belgium, Catherine-Amalia of Netherlands and possibly, Leonor of Spain) attend, possibly with a parent to guide them.

Yes I would also like the heirs of Ingrid Alexandra's generation to be at the celebrations (Christian, Estelle, Leonor, Catharina-Amalia and Elisabeth). But I don't know if it's possible.

Estelle is just child and Leonor doesn’t really have the ties those teens have to each other so I can’t see that. Christian almost certainly and Probably CA and Elisabeth.

Estelle is just child and Leonor doesn’t really have the ties those teens have to each other so I can’t see that. Christian almost certainly and Probably CA and Elisabeth.

Leonor will have to create bonds with the heirs of her generation. But Eleanor already knows the princesses of the Netherlands.
But yes, most likely Leonor will not be in these celebrations.
Catharina-Amalia, Christian, Elisabeth and perhaps Estelle are more likely presences.

Precocious and well behaved as she is Estelle is way to young to be at gala dinners and won’t have anything but being born a Royal heir in common with Ingrid , Christian ETC. Anyway.

I agree with a number of posters in that Estelle is probably too young to attend. It is difficult to know if Felipe will attend, but he may come to the dinner on the Friday night.

It depends perhaps if there are also daytime Events. If there are they could bring Estelle along and have her taking part in these but not in the evening Events.

Maybe but it’s probably best to leave her to her routine and leave these events to the adults and young adults. Estelle will presumably have a lifetime to participate in such events .

Post 1:

This is tangential, but it’s interesting how the picture of Haakon VII arriving carrying Olav seems to have always been there. In The King’s Speech they had it in the king’s personal quarters so there would be an excuse to show it for the plot. Unless there is more than one copy of the painting...?
You probably mean "The King's Choice" (since "The King's Speech" is a film about George VI of the UK).
And yes, only one copy of the painting I think, which is named ''King Haakon on Norwegian soil 25 November 1905.'' It was painted by Norwegian painter Halfdan Strøm and was a gift from the Norwegian Industry Association and the Norwegian Shipowners' Association to King Haakon on November 25th, 1930 (on the occasion of his silver jubilee as monarch).

--------------------

Let's continue to go through the events on January 21:

After the Council of State (which I wrote about in post 148), Ingrid, accompanied by her parents, received deputations from the official Norway in the small ballroom at the Royal Palace at 11:40 am. That room was also used by CP Haakon when he received deputations on his 18th birthday in 1991 (the walls were then green and not red as they are today).
The visitors Included the president of the Storting, the prime minister, finance minister and Chief Justice.
And as the day before (when she visited the state authorities, which I wrote about in post 144), Ingrid was her smiling and friendly self, while the CP-Couple, as usual, were holding hands.
There were also a 21-gun-salute from all (nine) salute stations around the country at noon.

English Royal House article about it (link). And the 150-min NRK-broadcast (link).

The morning/afternoon coverage on both the state-owned NRK1 and the commercial TV2 News Channel BTW consisted of the same people (who talked about mainly the same stuff) as the day before (which is described in post 145).

And also like the day before, the prime minister and the president of the Storting congratulated the princess and praised the monarchy, etc (something they had to do, but you could see that they both meant it).

NRK's evening coverage:

News-anchor Rima Iraki (photo-link / born 1982) hosted a 75-min programme live from the palace square on NRK1 at 19:40, which also included a 30-min interview she had recorded with Ingrid (which has been translated in its entirety by the poster Princess_Eleanor in posts 105, 125 and 132).
Iraki has worked at NRK since 2007 and is pretty tough when she questions (and constantly interrupts) politicians and various so-called important people. And although we need balanced journalists who hold the authorities and royals to account, I do think she was on the verge of being intrusive and a bit rude during the interview with Ingrid. I mean, the princess is just 18!
But NRK probably wanted one of the younger ones among their profiled journalists to do it. And Iraki was also part of the presenting-team for the coverage of Ingrid's confirmation in 2019.

However, pretty surprised that it wasn't done by:
*Programme-host, Nadia Hasnaoui (link / born 1963). Presented the annual ''year with the RF'' programmes in 2004 and 2005 and from 2009 to 2016, and who in that capacity has interviewed the Regent-Couple and CP-Couple several times. She also presented some of the NRK-coverage for the King's silver jubilee in 2016. And has hosted the May 17th coverage since 2019. She is very pro-monarchy in her style (perhaps a bit too much for some).
*News anchor, Atle Bjurstrøm (photo-link / born 1974). Has presented the ''year with the RF'' programmes since 2018, where he has interviewed the Regent Couple and CP-Couple. He also presented the NRK-coverage of the King's 70th birthday in 2007 and the funeral of Ari in 2020, and has always been very pro-monarchy in his style.
The interview could also have been conducted by NRK's royal reporter/commentator/expert, Kristi Marie Skrede (read more about her in post 145). She has interviewed the Regent-Couple and CP-Couple several times and has been responsible for several royal documentaries.

But back to the programme hosted by Rima Iraki (which you can watch here - link), where she was joined by the following guests:

*The popular comedian Else Kåss Furuseth (photo-link / born 1980), who is the woman in the fuchsia-coloured jacket at 04:00 in the above video. She has worked with the CP-Couple on some of their projects and interviewed CP Mette-Marit in her NRK podcast last year. She is a big fan of the King (as almost everyone is in this country) and even has pictures of the RF on the walls in her apartment. LOL.
Said, among other things, that the RF is good at giving comfort in times of crisis and that she feels calm and safe when the King is speaking.

*Kristi Marie Skrede (who is described above), who you can see in a black coat at 06:00. Said, among other things, that it must be motivating for Ingrid that so many young people support the monarchy.

*Norwegian rapper, singer, and songwriter, Stig Joar Haugen (photo-link / born 1990), who is the man you can see from 29:15. He is known professionally as Unge Ferrari and Stig Brenner and is one of Ingrid's favourite artists.
Said, among other things, that it was fun that the princess is a fan and that it's nice that people younger than him (and not just those over 30) listen to his texts.

*Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre, who you can see from 01:00:50 (if you want some English information about him, see Wikipedia article in post 144).
Was, among other things, asked whether we will still be a monarchy when it's Ingrid's turn to take over, to which he replied: ''Ja, jeg velger å tro det. For hvis de klarer å være i sin tid, så har de tilslutning.''
''Yes, I choose to believe so. Because if they manage to be in their time, then they have support.''

And no, he couldn't have said: ''I don't think so!'' LOL. Because then the headlines would have declared that the prime minister doesn't believe in the future of the monarchy, etc. - And a large part of the population would probably have been quite pissed at him (I mean, some polls show that over 80% support the monarchy).
But anyway, if you consider how difficult it will be to abolish the Norwegian monarchy and how popular it is among the young, then I think he just said what he actually believes, and not just because he had to.

*Leader of the Norwegian Centre against Racism, Linda Tinuke Strandmyr (photo-link / is in her early 30s I think). She appeared in the broadcast from 38:50. Yes, 20-min before the prime minister, but since I'm going to quote a poster below, I chose to list her up last.

She praised Ingrid for saying this:
Interviewer: What is the Princess’ favourite film?

Ingrid: There are many. When I was little, I watched “Hotel for Dogs”, “Bolt” and “101 Dalmatians”. I loved dog movies. They are still favourites. But there are also newer films – like “Divergent” and “The Hate U Give”. It’s hard to name only one favourite.

Interviewer: What is the last one about?

Ingrid: “The Hate U GIve”?

Interviewer: Mhmm.

Ingrid: It addresses racism and societal issues.

Interviewer: “Black Lives Matter”?

Ingrid: Mhmm.

Interviewer: Is that an issue that the Princess is concerned about?

Ingrid: I hope that everyone is concerned about it.
Strandmyr said that there is something beautiful in the ''obviousness'' that underlies what the princess is saying. And that she expressed a lot in the little she said. Because this is (Strandmyr said) what those who work with racial issues want, that it should be obvious for the majority to be against racism. She also said she hopes the comments from the princess will make others think the same way.

And as you have probably understood after reading this, no, the NRF doesn't have to say much to be praised in Norway. LOL.

BTW: Princess_Eleanor (who has done a brilliant job in translating the whole thing) has translated the Norwegian phrase ''opptatt av'' to ''concerned about,'' which is by no means wrong, but be aware that in this context it means ''interested in'' or ''caring about'' (and not ''worried about'').
Should also be said that the Norwegian subtitles in the broadcast (which I think are the ones Princess_Eleanor has used to translate the interview) are not completely consistent with the stuff being said. I mean, some sentences are actually quite different and some words are even missing, so not a very good job by NRK! And since the interview was not sent live, they should have had time to do it far better!

There was also a 30-min interview programme (conducted by Kristi Marie Skrede) that was sent at 22:00, where a sympathetic and funny CP-Couple looked back at 18 years with Ingrid (I might go through it on a later date BTW).

Watch it here:
"18 years with Ingrid" A documentary with the parents of the Princess:
https://tv.nrk.no/program/NNFA31000122

Post 2:

Another thing to be mentioned is that NRK went all in (such as only we Norwegians do it) with a Norwegian flag placed on the table beside the ''kanalvert.'' LOL.
A kanalvert is a television presenter who appears after a programme has ended and then introduces the next one (yes, NRK must be one of the last broadcasters in the world who are still practising it).

And both NRK and TV2 were around the country with their cameras asking ordinary people to congratulate her.

TV2's evening coverage: They were given no interviews, so TV2 News Channel just looked back on the council of state and the receiving of deputations earlier in the day.

-------------------

Will write about the June-celebrations and possible foreign royal guests in the coming days.

It has today be confirmed that King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and the Princess of Oranje will attend the gala dinner on June 17:

** koninklijkhuis.nl: Koning, Koningin Máxima en Prinses van Oranje bij galadiner achttiende verjaardag Prinses Ingrid Alexandra van Noorwegen **

I hope the other princesses of Princess Ingrid Alexandra's generation are also present. And Prince Christian too.

Philippe and Mathilde and Haakon and Mette-Marit meet. So it's likely they'll go to Ingrid's dinner if their schedule allows.
Elisabeth and Ingrid are two princesses from the same generation. I don't know if they already know each other personally. But it likely is.
I believe the royal houses of Denmark and Sweden will be represented. Prince Christian must be present.
The Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg is close to the Royal Family of Norway, so I would say the Grand Dukes or Prince Guillaume and Princess Stéphanie could be there.
My question is really Spain. I would say that Felipe and Letizia's presence is not very likely (Leonor's must be unlikely). Although Felipe was present at Ingrid's confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is great news. I am looking forward to the celebrations!

Great! We will at least have two first tiara appearances from the younger generation now:D

Elisabeth doesn’t have ties to Ingrid-Alexandra either. I think it is unlikely she will attend unless her parents also attend.

I expect Christian of course to be there.

Elisabeth doesn’t have ties to Ingrid-Alexandra either. I think it is unlikely she will attend unless her parents also attend.

Actually they're third cousin but yes, I got what you're saying, they or their parents seem don't have personal connection like the Norwegians and Dutchs. Although I hope so, I also would be surprised if Elisabeth attends the gala.

P
My question is really Spain. I would say that Felipe and Letizia's presence is not very likely (Leonor's must be unlikely).
I hope that at last King Felipe makes it as he is her godfather.

I know it is not going to happen, but the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge could attend as Prince William is in the same position as Princess Ingrid Alexandra ( second in line) and given that the Norwegians are quite close to the British Royal Family.

I know it is not going to happen, but the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge could attend as Prince William is in the same position as Princess Ingrid Alexandra ( second in line) and given that the Norwegians are quite close to the British Royal Family.

If there is anyone from the British RF it will probably the Earl and Countess of Wessex.

Gorgeous news! So we can looking forward to see at least two of the young princesses with their first tiara. Amalia still is in her gap year, so it may not be so surprising that she can make the trip to Oslo. I'm not sure when Elisabeth's term in Oxford is finishing, but she might be very busy with her studies right now.

So, if the Dutch royals are attending, we can also expect at least some of the Swedish an Danish royals, the heirs.

So, if the Dutch royals are attending, we can also expect at least some of the Swedish an Danish royals, the heirs.

Very likely Frederik and Mary and Victoria and Daniel as Frederik and Victoria are among her godparents.

Very likely Frederik and Mary and Victoria and Daniel as Frederik and Victoria are among her godparents.

The Danish Royal Calendar was updated today and the event has not been added for Frederik/Mary

The calendar for the Spanish Royal Family has not been updated yet. I think Felipe will go as Ingrid's godfather. Not sure about Leonor, but she is probably back in Spain (I think her classes finished in May). I think this is a nice opportunity for all the young generation to hang out, so I hope she goes.

The calendar for the Spanish Royal Family has not been updated yet. I think Felipe will go as Ingrid's godfather. Not sure about Leonor, but she is probably back in Spain (I think her classes finished in May). I think this is a nice opportunity for all the young generation to hang out, so I hope she goes.

If there's any Spanish presence I feel it will be just the king himself.

Back
Top Bottom