Ingrid Alexandra's 18th birthday: 21 January, 2022 & birthday celebrations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful pictures of Ingrid! Love the black dress and the earrings. She is a beauty. I also like the birthday message of the DRF for her. On a side note I see that the Shaman has also commented MLs birthday message for Ingrid. He writes that he loves and misses Ingrid.

That's a lovely photo. If Haakon's smile gets any wider his head will split.

Interesting that the website names her HRH The Princess.

So the formal titualture apparently seems to be:

HM The King
HM The Queen

HRH The Crown Prince
HRH The Crown Princess

HRH The Princess
Prince Sverre Magnus

I understand that they call her that way since this very day as she was called HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra, officially, before. Estelle is not yet 18 - so we will see if she will remain to be known like that until she becomes the Crown Princess.

The official website has always used both

HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra
and
HRH The Princess

as formal titulature for Ingrid Alexandra, in the same manner it uses both

HM The King
HM The Queen
HRH The Crown Prince
HRH The Crown Princess

and

HM King Harald V
HM Queen Sonja
HRH Crown Prince Haakon
HRH Crown Princess Mette-Marit

for the other members of the Royal House. (Refer to the sidebar in the posted link, for example.)

So good to see you again Royal Norway!

Lovely pictures of a lovely young lady.

Where can I see Ingrid Alexandra's full interview?

Ingrid is a very beautiful and self contained 18 year old. I agree with the poster who said she looks like a model. All of these kingdoms with lovely young future queens in waiting...Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, and lucky Norway!?

Last edited:
It's here, but I'm not sure the subtitles are in anything but Norwegian. https://tv.nrk.no/program/NNFA31000022

Same link, but that is the full interview.

Here's her "rapid-fire” questions. https://www.vgtv.no/video/231541/15-kjappe-spoersmaal-med-prinsesse-ingrid-alexandra
I don´t know in which room she was interviewed here-perhaps in Skaugum, I guess - but obviously not her new office at the Palace, but I noticed an old photo of the young british Queen and Prince Philip framed in the background!https://www.instagram.com/p/CMH4X5XHhQB/

I just wanted to say how impressed I was about her "performance" at her birthday-gift-cour! The Princess was dignified and regal, but still charmingly humle and accessible. I think she did tremendously well, great poise!

Last edited:
Ingrid has a lot of charm and charisma to go with that poise. It will be interesting to see if she becomes a sporty version of Tante Daisy one day.

Translation of the first part of Princess Ingrid Alexandra's NRK interview
(It's too long for me to translate everything at once ;))

Ingrid Alexandra: Welcome to my office.

Interviewer: Thank you very much. How long have you had this office?

Ingrid: For a couple of months. I’ve done homework here with friends.

Interviewer: Do you write math problems on the whiteboard?

Ingrid: That was exactly what we did last time, practiced for the math exam.

Ingrid: Yay, that is fun! (when they used a clapperboard for “Ingrid Alexandra Take 1”)

Interviewer: Are you nervous?

Ingrid: Yes, a little.

Interviewer: What are you nervous about?

Ingrid: To talk about myself, maybe. It is difficult.

Interviewer: Not used to it?

Ingrid: Yes. Pretty much.

Interviewer: Other people don’t have to do a TV interview when they turn 18. How is it?

Ingrid: That is not the best thing to know. (laughs) But I feel lucky to be allowed to share my thoughts. But I’m a little nervous, it must be said.

Interviewer: What is it like to be 18 years old?

Ingrid: It does not feel very different. It may mean a little more responsibility, but it also means more freedom. I’m really looking forward to that.

Interviewer: What kind of responsibility will there be?

Ingrid: There are probably more expectations for how to behave. That you make better choices when you are 18 than when you are younger.

Interviewer: Do you feel there are expectations for you now that you are 18 years old?

Ingrid: Yes, but I think everyone feels a little like that. My turning 18 is quite similar to most others turning 18 as well, other than that there is a little more media focus.

Interviewer: That the Princess must do an interview?

Ingrid: Yes. (laughs)

Interviewer: What are you most looking forward to?

Ingrid: I look forward to the freedom, maybe I could travel alone, drive a car, etc.

Interviewer: Travel alone? Where would the Princess like to go?

Ingrid: Everywhere! I am going to travel a lot, I have plans for that.

Interviewer: Can the Princess name any destinations that she dreams of going to?

Ingrid: I want to visit Japan, I think skiing in Japan would be cool.

Interviewer: Why Japan?

Ingrid: They have very nice powder snow in Japan, it looks very exciting.

Interviewer: You are very fond of skiing?

Ingrid: Yes!

Interviewer: What do you like about skiing?

Ingrid: Maybe the community. I have many girlfriends who ski with me. We have fun together and come up with all sorts of weird things. We have gone on surfing and skiing trips together, we sometimes compete abroad and stuff. That community is a lot of fun!

Interviewer: The Princess also mentions surfing, that’s an extreme sport, isn’t it? What is it about that that the Princess likes?

Ingrid: It’s a bit the same. The feeling when you’re on the water, it’s marvelous to be alone for a little while.

Interviewer: The Princess has an NM title in surfing. Which you do not really like to talk about?

Ingrid: No. We were at a surf camp, which I received as a confirmation gift. Me and some ski girlfriends. There was no one in our age group participating in the NM, so they asked if we wanted to join. We thought it would be great fun. One of those who participated had surfed only twice in her life, but we joined anyway. And then I won. It turned out to be a slightly bigger thing than I might have thought.

Interviewer: It became a headline!

Ingrid: Yes. But it was a fantastic experience to be a part of that. It was great fun!

Interviewer: But you’re laughing because…?

Ingrid: I don’t know if I fully deserved the NM title… But the NM title is the NM title.

Interviewer: The Princess mentioned getting her driver’s license. How far are you in the process?

Ingrid: No… I really don’t want to answer that, but you will probably find out later, maybe.

Interviewer: But you’re getting your driver’s license now?

Ingrid: Yes, that’s the plan.

Interviewer: What are you least looking forward to about coming of age?

Ingrid: Maybe there will be more attention surrounding me. I hope that there will not be such a big difference from what it has been like until now.

Interviewer: How has the Princess prepared herself for getting more attention surrounding her role?

Ingrid: There are not really that many ways to prepare. It is just important to be yourself and to make good choices. And then you also make mistakes. I am still young even though I’m 18. I’ll take it as it comes.

Interviewer: We are really looking forward to getting to know the Princess better. I have some quick questions I would like to ask the Princess. Are you ready?

Ingrid: Yes.

Interviewer: Which do prefer: sleeping in or getting up early?

Ingrid: That depends on the day.

Interviewer: What the Princess has done the evening before?

Ingrid: Yes. (laughs)

Interviewer: Coffee or tea?

Ingrid: Coffee.

Interviewer: Pizza or sushi?

Ingrid: Sushi, maybe…

Interviewer: TikTok or Snapchat?

Ingrid: Snapchat. I have deleted TikTok.

Interviewer: Why?

Ingrid: I was at school and then I looked at my screen time. I had been at school all day, but had been on TikTok for an hour already. I did not remember that I had picked up the phone, so it was time to take a break.

Interviewer: The alarm bells went off?

Interviewer: What does the Princess use Snapchat for?

Ingrid: To talk to friends, but I don’t use it that much.

Interviewer: What’s your name on Snapchat?

Ingrid: That is a trick question! I know that!

Interviewer: It is secret?

Interviewer: Who is the Princess at parties? The one who dances on the table or the one who talks in a corner?

Ingrid: Neither one of those. (laughs)

Interviewer: Reading a book or watching a movie?

Ingrid: Watching a movie.

Interviewer: What is the Princess’ favourite film?

Ingrid: There are many. When I was little, I watched “Hotel for Dogs”, “Bolt” and “101 Dalmatians”. I loved dog movies. They are still favourites. But there are also newer films – like “Divergent” and “The Hate U Give”. It’s hard to name only one favourite.

Interviewer: What is the last one about?

Ingrid: “The Hate U GIve”?

Interviewer: Mhmm.

Ingrid: It addresses racism and societal issues.

Interviewer: “Black Lives Matter”?

Ingrid: Mhmm.

Interviewer: Is that an issue that the Princess is concerned about?

Ingrid: I hope that everyone is concerned about it.

Interviewer: What types of TV series do you like?

Ingrid: A lot of doctor and lawyer series. “Suits” and “White Collar.” Or “The Good Doctor” – that’s very good.

Interviewer: Why do you like that?

Ingrid: Because I think it’s exciting.

Interviewer: Nothing to do with the medical or legal profession?

Ingrid: Mom wants me to study medicine. We’ll see.

Interviewer: If Mom gets to decide, you will become a doctor?

Ingrid: Do the education for it.

Interviewer: What makes the Princess laugh?

Ingrid: My family. We watch old videos – should I show you now?

Interviewer: Yes, I’d like that!

(IA shows a music video she made when younger)

Ingrid: I also made lots of videos with my cousin, but I cannot find any of them now.

Interviewer: Your cousin… Maud Angelica?

(IA shows a music video she made with her father and Sverre Magnus)

Interviewer: That was a great music video. You mentioned Maud Angelica?

Ingrid: We made a lot of videos together. Talk shows and spy videos – the whole package.

Interviewer: Can’t wait to see more of it, eventually!

Last edited:
Thanks for translating the interview :bang:

Why does Princess Mette-Marit want Princess Ingrid Alexandra to study medicine?

....if I had to guess, I would say perhaps because Ingrid is concerned with all the health issues her family has been dealing with?

Or perhaps simply because Ingrid is bright and compassionate and enjoys being with people.

In any case, she would have to read a few books to study medicine properly.

You're welcome ?

I've got no idea - that part truly surprised me as well. While not all royal families are equally strict about studying Political Science/ Law/ International Relations, I don't see the point of completing a challenging program like medicine when it doesn't pertain to her future job.
And she'd have to learn the things that actually are actually needed for her future role on top of a challenging medicine program...

You're welcome ?

I've got no idea - that part truly surprised me as well. While not all royal families are equally strict about studying Political Science/ Law/ International Relations, I don't see the point of completing a challenging program like medicine when it doesn't pertain to her future job.
And she'd have to learn the things that actually are actually needed for her future role on top of a challenging medicine program...

I don't think a full medical education is compatible with IA's constitutional role, either. However — and this is something she must have learned very easily from her bestefar at this point — some of the main things required to do the job well are caring, a lot, about your whole "practice", and trying to make things better. Which is pretty much the starting point for a good physician.

It's interesting that Ingrid brought this up when it isn't even her own idea, and made no mention of her own preference. It shows how close she and her family are.

I don't think a full medical education is compatible with IA's constitutional role, either. However — and this is something she must have learned very easily from her bestefar at this point — some of the main things required to do the job well are caring, a lot, about your whole "practice", and trying to make things better. Which is pretty much the starting point for a good physician.

It's interesting that Ingrid brought this up when it isn't even her own idea, and made no mention of her own preference. It shows how close she and her family are.

I also find it interesting that she mentioned this, but she seems to have no interest in taking this course. And I honestly don't think Princess Ingrid Alexandra is going to study medicine. Interestingly, Haakon and Mette-Marit give their children a lot of freedom to choose their own path. She seems to have a thought out plan for the future and is smart.

I also find it interesting that she mentioned this, but she seems to have no interest in taking this course. And I honestly don't think Princess Ingrid Alexandra is going to study medicine. Interestingly, Haakon and Mette-Marit give their children a lot of freedom to choose their own path. She seems to have a thought out plan for the future and is smart.

I don't think she's going to be a doctor, either, sadly — were it possible, I think it would make her a better monarch (and certainly give her some practical knowledge). I do think there are the multiple health issues floating around the NRF, of which MM's are only the most obvious (there's also Harald's heart and more, SM's dermatological issues, and the mental health ones in ML's family). I think Ingrid's undoubted concern and love for everyone (as the seemingly super-healthy person in the family) has gotten her mom to say she should be one.

Thank you for this translation. I do hope that she studies medicine. I think that all the heirs should have as much formal education as they could get. They should know and understand how “their” people go to work and do their jobs.

Good for her!

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree that one of the most important things for her job is caring about Norway and its people, but I don't know that studying medicine is necessary for that. However, it might be a good idea for Sverre Magnus if it is something that he is interested in, since it's a well-regarded profession that does not easily lead to controversy.

Yes, I think she and her family truly are very close, that comes across at various points during the interview. But I also think that she did not want to say her own preference.
Later on in the interview, there is more questioning about what she will study and whether she will complete a military education and she refuses to specify. She says that she has plans, but does not want to make them public in case they change.
For an 18-year-old doing her first interview, she is actually very adept at shutting down any line of questioning that she does not wish to answer (mainly her future education, when she will complete her driver's license and whether she has a boyfriend).
I think she's a very smart girl and understands that if she publically says that she will undertake a certain kind of education and then for whatever reason doesn't, it will only get her in trouble in the court of public opinion. So it's better not to say until she is accepted to whatever university program/ military training she will ultimately apply to.

As a back up when the monarchy ends? Better be prepared.

I don't think she's going to be a doctor, either, sadly — were it possible, I think it would make her a better monarch (and certainly give her some practical knowledge). I do think there are the multiple health issues floating around the NRF, of which MM's are only the most obvious (there's also Harald's heart and more, SM's dermatological issues, and the mental health ones in ML's family). I think Ingrid's undoubted concern and love for everyone (as the seemingly super-healthy person in the family) has gotten her mom to say she should be one.

How does it make her a better monarch?
You realize that it are the ministers, the ministerial departments, the state agencies, the provinces and the municipalities which run Norway.
The only duty of a constitutional monarch -in exaggeration- is: to shut up and to wave. And for that they are lavishly compensated.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does it make her a better monarch?
You realize that it are the ministers, the ministerial departments, the state agencies, the provinces and the municipalities which run Norway.
The only duty of a constitutional monarch -in exaggeration- is: to shut up and to wave. And for that they are lavishly compensated.

Monarchs - and all heads of state - also make speeches and often move behind the scenes to solve the country's problems. They represent the country at the highest level. Summarizing the duties of a head of state to waving and being silent is an exaggeration.

Monarchs - and all heads of state - also make speeches and often move behind the scenes to solve the country's problems. They represent the country at the highest level. Summarizing the duties of a head of state to waving and being silent is an exaggeration.

It may be an exaggeration but close to truth. You seem to have a rosey view on monarchies. At best it is a theatre of state. No more, no less. And that they are allowed to exist, to function and to be financed, that already is a miracle anno 2022.

It may be an exaggeration but close to truth. You seem to have a rosey view on monarchies. At best it is a theatre of state. No more, no less. And that they are allowed to exist, to function and to be financed, that already is a miracle anno 2022.

And do you know how republics work? In most cases in Europe it is similar, the only difference is that it is not a hereditary system.

From the person who thinks that that allows royalty and the very rich and ancient upper classes to somehow get away with doing whatever they please, that’s rather funny.

From the person who thinks that that allows royalty and the very rich and ancient upper classes to somehow get away with doing whatever they please, that’s rather funny.

It is just a simple conclusion regarding facts but I am willing to let anyone believe that Norway will come to an alarming standstill when the ceremonial hereditary head of state has not accomplished a study. A view opposite the North Sea sees a lady nearing her Platinum Jubilee with just some secondary education.

Duc_et_Pair argues and has argued the opposite of what this post claims he said: specifically, he argues that a ceremonial monarchy is more fragile and less likely to "get away". While I strongly disagree with that perspective, it a reasonable, not "funny", argument which others have made.

This clarification is not meant for Prinsara but for the readers of this thread.

I respectfully suggest that the "future of ceremonial monarchies" discussion move to a more on-topic thread.

Back
Top Bottom