Ingrid Alexandra's 18th birthday: 21 January, 2022 & birthday celebrations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unlike when her father turned 18, Ingrid Alexandra won't join the council of state or sign an oath to reign according to the constitution until she is actually the Crown Princess.

https://www.nrk.no/norge/dette-skjer-nar-prinsesse-ingrid-alexandra-blir-18-ar-1.15814176

She also got her first adjutant, from the navy, who will work with her for a period of three years: https://forsvaretsforum.no/ingridal...sse-ingrid-alexandra-far-egen-adjutant/234700

And I love how they didn't edit out Ingrid-Alexandra's fall.

Mette Marit has pulmonary fibrosis which is not the same as COPD (see this explanation).

It was also said when she told about it that she has good days and bad days, so it also depends on what she is able to do from day to day.

Also, this was filmed at Imingfjell which is close by their cabin, so I guess a) it was easy to select a day that worked with her health, b) we see them stand by the car, a bit of upwards skiing and posing, but don't know how much she actually did outside of that, because c) the downwards skiing looks to me to just be Ingrid and Magnus, and that isn't necessarily started from the same height/time as the sitting down on the silly chairs bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post 1 of 2:

Wow! This is the NRF and they were, as usual, going to go BIG! And this left-winged egalitarian royal-mad 33-year-old guy (I mean me) is REALLY looking forward to it!

Press release from the government (published on Dec 16 - link), which includes this statement from the Prime Minister:
''Myndighetsdagen er en stor begivenhet i alle unge menneskers liv. Det gjelder ikke minst for en tronarving som skal representere Norge og det norske folk. Jeg hadde sett frem til å feire prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra på myndighetsdagen, men smittesituasjonen gjør det dessverre ikke mulig nå. Jeg håper likevel hun får en fin feiring med sine nærmeste.''

Translation by me - with a few changes to make it more reader-friendly:
''The age of majority day is a major event in the lives of all young people. Not least for an heir to the throne who is to represent Norway and the Norwegian people. I had been looking forward to celebrating Princess Ingrid Alexandra on the day she reaches her majority age, but unfortunately, the infection situation doesn't make it possible now. I still hope she has a nice celebration with her nearest.'' (Yes, would have sounded better if I had written ''her loved ones'' instead of ''her nearest,'' but that wouldn't have been a direct translation of what the prime minister was saying.)

BTW, I see that the news-site Norway Today (like many others) translates ''myndighetsdag'' to ''coming of age day'' (link), while the Norwegian historian and correspondent at Royal Central, Oskar Aanmoen, has translated it to ''day of adulthood'' (link).
I, OTOH, have decided to use "age of majority day" since I think it fits better with the Norwegian word.

Scheduled programme:

January 20:
The Princess (as you can read in one of Eya's posts) will visit:
*The Parliament (known in Norway as the ''Storting'') at 10:00 am, where the President of the Storting will brief her about the work of the parliament.
*The Supreme Court at 11:15 am, where the Chief Justice will brief her about the work of the highest court in the land.
*The Prime Minister's Office at 12:30 pm, where the Prime Minister and other government representatives will brief her about the work of the government.

January 21 (her birthday):
*11:40 -13:45: The Princess, accompanied by her parents, will receive representatives (or ''receive deputations'' as it's called) from the so-called ''official Norway'' at the Royal Palace (which includes the Prime Minister and the President of the Storting), who will come to offer gifts and wish her a happy birthday. (The last time deputations were received at the palace BTW was during the Regent-Couple's joint 80th birthday celebrations in May 2017).
*At noon: A 21-gun-salute from all (nine) salute stations around the country.

Ingrid will also most likely be given the Order of St. Olav by her grandfather.
And the court could also release some more official photos, which may be the first time we see the Princess in a tiara (but I think we will have to wait until the postponed white-tie gala dinner can take place).

Postponed events:

Originally scheduled for January 20:
Official black-tie government dinner with music and other cultural elements at the new Deichman Library at Bjørvika in Oslo (will write more about the library in a later post BTW). The dinner is the government's gift to the Princess and broad participation from all over the country (especially by young people) was planned.
And to those wondering how I could write that it will be black-tie (and not white-tie) when that hasn't been announced?
Simply because that has been the norm with all royal dinners hosted by the government over the last two decades, and I would be EXTREMELY surprised if that should change now (will go more into detail in a later post).

Originally scheduled for January 21:
White-tie gala dinner at the Royal Palace hosted by the King and Queen, which will most likely be Ingrid's first tiara event. (The reason I write ''most likely'' is because there is a possibility that the birthday celebrations will take place after QMII's Golden Jubilee celebrations in September, which could be attended by Ingrid. But as I wrote above, we may already see her in a tiara on Friday, if the court releases more official photos.)
And to those wondering how I could write that the dinner will be white-tie when that hasn't been announced?
Because when the court in December informed that the celebrations would be postponed due to COVID (link), they used the word ''gallamiddag'' (gala dinner), which is how they have always described white-tie palace dinners in the past.
For black-tie palace dinners, OTOH, they have always used the words ''festmiddag, smokingmiddag, or offisiell middag'' (''celebratory/party-dinner, smoking dinner or official dinner'').

The word festmiddag, BTW, is also used by the Prime Minister's office to describe government-dinners (also when they used to be white-tie from the 1950s to the 1990s, which is in contrast to court who have always used that word for non-white-tie dinners, whether it's black-tie or suit).

And to those who are wondering when these two dinners will take place? Well, there are three options I think:
1. As soon as COVID makes it possible, which may take its time. But if the situation allows it, as early as April/May (not very likely).
2. In the summer. Most likely right before or right after the school holiday (which last from around mid-June to mid-August).
3. Sometimes in the early autumn (most likely after the Danish celebrations).

But what about balcony appearances, open-car processions and walkabouts along the crowds, such as we have seen for celebrations of King Haakon VII, King Olav V and the current King and Queen? Well, except for weddings, such events have usually been reserved for celebrations of the monarch or joint celebrations of the monarch/consort. But there have been a few exceptions. I.e. balcony appearances with the heir and his wife-to-be after their engagement, the balcony appearance for Ingrid's christening in 2004, Queen Sonja's 70th birthday walkabout in 2007 and a short unexpected balcony appearance with CP Haakon and Ingrid during her confirmation in 2019. So it could happen again!
And if there were to be a balcony appearance during Ingrid's 18th birthday celebrations, it would most likely be during the white-tie gala dinner at the palace, which would mean a bunch of royals on the balcony with tiaras, orders and everything (such as we saw for the balcony appearances of King Harald's 70th birthday celebrations in February 2007 and the Regent-Couple's joint 80th birthday celebrations in May 2017).

Last edited:
Post 2:

Television-Coverage:
The Norwegian monarchy is now, without doubt, the monarchy that allows the cameras in most frequently. And Norway is now also the country where the broadcasters televise most royal events. But as you can read below, that hasn't always been the case.

January 20 (tomorrow):
The visits to the Storting, the Supreme Court and the Prime Minister's Office will be broadcast live on the state-owned NRK1 (Norway's largest TV channel) from 09:20 to 14:05.
There will also be full coverage on the commercial TV2 News Channel.

January 21 (her birthday):
The deputations at the palace will be broadcast live on NRK1 from 11:30 to 14:05.
There will also be full coverage on TV2 News Channel.
NRK1 will also broadcast a 75-min celebratory programme at 19:40 (which includes Ingrid's first proper TV interview) and a 30-min programme at 22:00, where the CP-Couple looks back at 18 years with Ingrid.

And pretty sure that NRK/TV2 will provide live-links (which work outside Norway), such as they did during the Regent-Couple's 80th Birthday Celebrations in 2017, their Golden Wedding Anniversary in 2018 and the confirmations of Ingrid and Sverre Magnus in 2019 and 2020. But live-links or not, the programmes will still be available for everyone to watch on NRK's TV-website after they have ended (also for those outside Norway).

The official black-tie government dinner:
During previous royal dinners hosted by the government since WWII, the media has always been allowed to film/photograph the arrivals, speeches and entertainment. And I'm 100% (if not 200%) sure that the same will happen this time as well.
Also pretty sure that it will be broadcast live on television, which has been the norm with most royal celebrations in Norway since the early 2000s, which is due to the King's wish to show as much as possible (because as His Majesty himself said in a television interview some years ago, ''we cannot lock ourselves inside and share nothing''). And Ingrid is after all the future monarch!

The white-tie gala dinner hosted by the King and Queen:
Previous white-tie gala dinners at the palace for royal birthdays and confirmations (and for the Regent-Couple's Silver Wedding Anniversary) have always been considered quite private. And the media has therefore only been allowed to film/photograph the royal procession into the banqueting hall (and some parts of the dancing in the ballroom if there has been a ball after the dinner).
But this changed during the Regent-Couple white-tie 80th birthday dinner at the palace on May 9th 2017, where both the greetings, royal procession and speeches were filmed and broadcast live on NRK1 and TV2 News Channel (which again was due to the King's wish to show as much as possible). This was in addition to an official black-tie government dinner at the Oslo Opera House the day after (on May 10th), which was also broadcast.
And since Ingrid's white-tie gala dinner at the palace was included among the official celebrations in the statement from the government, I'm therefore quite sure that the greetings, royal procession and speeches will be broadcast this time as well (such as in 2017).

--------------------

Will write more in later posts about Ingrid's life so far, her life in the future and the press coverage of her.

--------------------

Unlike when her father turned 18, Ingrid Alexandra won't join the council of state or sign an oath to reign according to the constitution until she is actually the Crown Princess.

https://www.nrk.no/norge/dette-skjer-nar-prinsesse-ingrid-alexandra-blir-18-ar-1.15814176
Which one can read about in this English Facebook post (link) by Norwegian royal historian, Trond Norén Isaksen. And in this English Royal House article (link).
(I might write more about it later BTW.)

She also got her first adjutant, from the navy, who will work with her for a period of three years: https://forsvaretsforum.no/ingridal...sse-ingrid-alexandra-far-egen-adjutant/234700
Yes! Kapteinløytnant (Captain Lieutenant) Fredrik Ness Engh was ''beordret'' (''ordered'' as the government old-fachenly put it) by the King in Council of State (on Dec 17) to be ''adjutant'' to Ingrid (referred to in English as ''aide-de-camp'' or ''equerry'').
He was previously adjutant to the Crown Prince until June last year BTW (link), so the Princess will most likely know him personally, which was probably why he was chosen.

One can read more about the King’s Military Staff in this English Royal House article (link).

Last edited:
Princess Ingrid Alexandra seems to have cool colouring; so, that'll be good for the royal ice. Mette Marit has cool colour while Queen Sonja seems to have warm colouring.

Wow she looks amazing. So natural and confident. I'm also adoring the jewelry - check out that giant aquamarine ring.

She is a stunning young lady..very models que.

I looove the background but it would have been nice to see her in a brighter- non-black color and jewels would have been nice!

:previous: Good photos.

And Haakon can't talk his way out of that one! They resemble a lot.

I hope she - and the Norwegians - will have a thoroughly enjoyable day. I think everybody needs something to celebrate these days.

And I look especially forward to the word-art of a certain shaman, congratulating Ingrid. I do need a little chuckle. :D

As others above say just Wonderful!!

"VG got to meet Ingrid Alexandra in her very first interview, at home at Skaugum. We asked 15 some quick questions to get to know her better."

https://www.vgtv.no/video/231541?ut...row4_pos2&utm_term=preview-continue-control-7

https://www.vg.no/i/7dJlRo?utm_source=vgfront&utm_content=hovedlopet_row4_pos1

Last edited:
She is such a lovely blend of her parents.

All these little Princess suddenly being adults… time flies fast.

As others above say just Wonderful!!

"VG got to meet Ingrid Alexandra in her very first interview, at home at Skaugum. We asked 15 some quick questions to get to know her better."

https://www.vgtv.no/video/231541?ut...row4_pos2&utm_term=preview-continue-control-7

https://www.vg.no/i/7dJlRo?utm_source=vgfront&utm_content=hovedlopet_row4_pos1

15 quick questions. Let's take that one - easy for you to follow as well.
- A bit shy body-language, but understandable. But otherwise very confident and a nice personality.
1: Favorite movie-princess? - Fiona from Shrek.
2: What do you (informal you) prefer to be called? - Ingrid.
3: Favorite movie? - Divergent, I guess.
4: Genre? - Action.
5: Romantic comedy or horror movie? - Romantic comedy. Not into horror movies.
6: Favorite sweets? - caramels.
7: Chips or chocolate? - Chocolate.
8: What's the worst for her? - Snakes. Or tinned mackerel and tomatoes.
9: Best family vacation? - Surfing in Mexico with the family.
10: Beach or skis? - If there's a surf, it the beach. If the snow is powdery it's snow. - (Asking a Norwegian if she likes to ski is like asking a swallow: Do you like to fly?)
11: Favorite dish? - Taco.
12: Your best subject at high school? - Community-geography - learning about the country, how it looks and how it works. And the various people and communities in Norway.
13: Holiday in Norway or abroad? - Norway.
14: What gives you the best laugh? - My family, I think.
15: The most funny celeb in Norway? - Bedstefar - grandad.
16: Favorite TV-series? - White Collar.
17: Dance or sing? - Can't do one without the other.

- if you wait for the next clip to load, Ingrid will tell you about some paintings she did during the lockdown.
She also learned to play a song on guitar and piano - not well though. She competed with her brother during last summer about who did best. It's still undecided. She believe she's the best, Marius disagree.

Interesting that the website names her HRH The Princess.

So the formal titualture apparently seems to be:

HM The King
HM The Queen

HRH The Crown Prince
HRH The Crown Princess

HRH The Princess
Prince Sverre Magnus

They seem to call her both.

But I suppose it’s like being "The Princess Royal", except she’s almost at the head of line for the throne.

Last edited:
Here are some first photos of the audiences today:

The President of the Norwegian Parliament and the First Vice President presented Princess Ingrid Alexandra with the painting "Missing Color" by Astrid Nondal, the parliament's official birthday gift:

** Pic **

Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere and Minister of Finance Trygve Slagsvold Vedum as representatives of the Norwegian government handed over an edition of the "Constitutional Amendment on 29 May 1990" and the books "Eufemia", "Landet mot nord" and "Norwegian women's history":

** Pic **

** kongehuset: Gratulerte Prinsessen med 18-årsdagen **

Princess Märtha Louise has sent a lovely birthday message to her niece, including some nice photos:

** instagram post **

Congratulations on the day, you beautiful young woman. You are brave, funny, wise, reflective, vulnerable and weird. I'm so glad we as a family are doing so well together. That we can laugh and cry together - and discuss whatever it may be. I love you so much. We look forward to celebrating you big sometime in the future!

Last edited:
Really wonderful new photos of Princess Ingrid-Alexandra!

Svensk Damtidning:
Ingrid Alexandra's godmother Crown Princess Victoria has been forced to stay at home in Stockholm - and not just her: According to the court, Estelle, Oscar and Prince Daniel would also have traveled to Oslo today.
The swedish royal court tells:
- The Crown Princess family would have attended the planned celebration of the official day, but the arrangements have been postponed due to the pandemic. The Crown Princess has today sent congratulations to her goddaughter with the hope of seeing each other again when the celebration can be performed.
Stort firande för Ingrid Alexandra – Victoria stoppas _*Svensk Dam

I see on the Royal Family website that her grandfather has bestowed the Order of St. Olav upon her as a birthday gift. Also, the family orders.

Very nice.

:previous: Her family/house order has sapphires (while her mother's has with pearls and grandma's has rubies), can't wait to see her wear it someday.:flowers:

Last edited:
Interesting that the website names her HRH The Princess.

So the formal titualture apparently seems to be:

HM The King
HM The Queen

HRH The Crown Prince
HRH The Crown Princess

HRH The Princess
Prince Sverre Magnus
Yes, because she is not any kind of Princess, like Märtha or Astrid, but future heiress apparent and Crown Princess, I guess.

Yes, because she is not any kind of Princess, like Märtha or Astrid, but future heiress apparent and Crown Princess, I guess.

Different use than in Sweden. There they use terms like The Crown Princess Couple (Victoria & Daniel), The Prince Couple (Carl Philip & Sofia) and The Princess Couple (Madeleine & Chris). And Estelle is just 'Princess Estelle' and not 'The Princess'.

Different use than in Sweden. There they use terms like The Crown Princess Couple (Victoria & Daniel), The Prince Couple (Carl Philip & Sofia) and The Princess Couple (Madeleine & Chris). And Estelle is just 'Princess Estelle' and not 'The Princess'.
I understand that they call her that way since this very day as she was called HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra, officially, before. Estelle is not yet 18 - so we will see if she will remain to be known like that until she becomes the Crown Princess.

Back
Top Bottom