Ingrid Alexandra's 18th birthday: 21 January, 2022 & birthday celebrations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, their jewels went to their children, so it's kind of difficult to differentiate 'handing back' from 'leaving to'. And I wonder if this 'handing back' includes the pearl tiara of Princess Ingeborg. From all we know, this was Ingeborg's private possession, which she chose to give to her granddaughter and goddaughter Ragnhild as a present. It is kind of strange, that it has never been seen as a wedding tiara in Princess Ragnhild's family.

I agree, there will be quite a number of tiaras and other jewels for Ingrid Alexandra to use in the future. There are also Princess Astrid's heirlooms which will be handed back one day. And then there used to be reports that Queen Sophia's pink tourmaline parure was sold to the Norwegian RF by Countess Estelle's heirs. I wonder if that rumour will be confirmed soon?:D

I have a feeling we may see the Pearl circle tiara in the royal family. 1 the Lorentzens does not need a tiara (and they have never used it after Princess Ragnhild passed away) 2 we do not know what intensions Princess Ingeborg had? Maybe she gave it directly to Princess Ragnhild, but stated it should be a loan and to be kept for the royal collection in the future? I hope so.

If one read what Trond Noren Isaksen wrote, the Countess Bernadotte af Wisborg said to him, they first offered the pink parure to the Swedish royals which then contacted the Norwegian King who bought the parure. It would be interesting to see if this will be part of the future jewels of eiter Ingrid or Mette-Marit.

I have a feeling we may see the Pearl circle tiara in the royal family. 1 the Lorentzens does not need a tiara (and they have never used it after Princess Ragnhild passed away) 2 we do not know what intensions Princess Ingeborg had? Maybe she gave it directly to Princess Ragnhild, but stated it should be a loan and to be kept for the royal collection in the future? I hope so.

If one read what Trond Noren Isaksen wrote, the Countess Bernadotte af Wisborg said to him, they first offered the pink parure to the Swedish royals which then contacted the Norwegian King who bought the parure. It would be interesting to see if this will be part of the future jewel
s of eiter Ingrid or Mette-Marit.

I think that the tradition of collateral branches returning heirlooms to the main line is a great one and a reasonable alternative to having to set up family foundations or trusts. The truth is that, in this era of slimmed-down royal families and a devalued aristocracy, descendants of collateral branches have little use for tiaras or parures, except perhaps in a few countries like the UK. And, in any case, most of the historical jewelry that stays in collateral branches ends up being eventually auctioned or sold to third parties that have no connection to the family anyway. In a sense, it is a waste then.

Sometime again a Jewel expert told on the scandinavian royals MB that the Norwegian Collection is actually much bigger as it is known as many peaces are keept ijn the safe and are not worn. It is a pity that they are not as open about them as their neighbors in Denmark and Sweden.
As for a starter tiara for Princess Ingrid Alexandra i think the pearl circle tiara would be nice it was also handed back. I think Queen Maud's diamond tiara would be a bit big for a 18 old girl. It's a pity that the Vasa tiara is not available as this one would also perfect. Perhaps there is a little chance that Princess Astrid give's it to her as an 18 birthday gift, but i guess she will keep it herself as a light to wear alternative to her other tiaras.

As for a starter tiara for Princess Ingrid Alexandra i think the pearl circle tiara would be nice it was also handed back. I think Queen Maud's diamond tiara would be a bit big for a 18 old girl. It's a pity that the Vasa tiara is not available as this one would also perfect. Perhaps there is a little chance that Princess Astrid give's it to her as an 18 birthday gift, but i guess she will keep it herself as a light to wear alternative to her other tiaras.

I actually have the same thoughts on a tiara. The Vasa tiara would be ideal, and it mught be that one, even though the chance is low. Given the number of historical tiaras in the vaults I guess that's more likely than a newly acquried one.

Sent from my SM-A725F using The Royals Community mobile app

I think that the tradition of collateral branches returning heirlooms to the main line is a great one and a reasonable alternative to having to set up family foundations or trusts. The truth is that, in this era of slimmed-down royal families and a devalued aristocracy, descendants of collateral branches have little use for tiaras or parures, except perhaps in a few countries like the UK. And, in any case, most of the historical jewelry that stays in collateral branches ends up being eventually auctioned or sold to third parties that have no connection to the family anyway. In a sense, it is a waste then.

I agree. Jewellery with collateral branches pretty much always ends up being sold. The Norwegien tradition of returning following the death of the Princess seems to be a practical solution that allows the daughters and sisters of the monarch to be suitably bejewelled, and yet the jewellery does not end up being auctioned eventually.

Dagbladet asked the Royal court about Princess Ingrid's upcoming 18th birthday if there would be gifted a heirloom or new tiara to her. The Royal court would not comment upon that matter.
Then the newspaper asked if the jewels of the late Princess Ragnhild was given back and surprisingly they confirmed that the royal heirlooms items and jewelry that the Princess Ragnhild had in her posession has been given back. They stated "giving back royal heirloom jewels and items after death is a tradition for over 100 years in the Norwegian royal house, and it was done also when Queen Maud and Crown Princess Martha died". They also stated the heirloom jewels are part of HM the King's private estate.

Therefore we can assume we soon will see some of these items reused by other members, like f ex Ingrid and Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

Good to hear that the jewellery has returned to the main line. I look forward to seeing it on M-M and I-A.

Last edited:
"On Friday 21 January, Princess Ingrid Alexandra turns 18 years old.
The Princess has got her own office at the Palace, where these photos have been taken. In time, she will receive more official assignments for the Royal House, but in the next few years, the Princess will concentrate on her education."

https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=200663&sek=26939

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY4H_hioh9Z/
She is definitely the most beautiful Princess and future Queen Regnant in europe right now!

She is definitely the most beautiful Princess and future Queen Regnant in europe right now!

I think we could go further, she is probably the most beautiful future Queen in Europe at the moment!

"On Friday 21 January, Princess Ingrid Alexandra turns 18 years old.
The Princess has got her own office at the Palace, where these photos have been taken. In time, she will receive more official assignments for the Royal House, but in the next few years, the Princess will concentrate on her education."

https://www.kongehuset.no/nyhet.html?tid=200663&sek=26939

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY4H_hioh9Z/

It's good that the Royal House is being transparent about the fact that, whereas the princess legally comes of age this month, her effective coming of age as a working member of the royal house is still some years in the future.

There is some dissonance to releasing photographs of the princess seated in an office in a business suit to accompany the announcement that she will continue not to be a full-time worker. But I suppose that compared to a more traditional tiara portrait, it might reduce the focus on her clothes and appearance, something the Queen has criticized.

And not just any office but, as the announcement stated, her own office... I don't recall either Elisabeth or Catharina-Amalia having been given their own office in the palace to work from... While they are heirs and Ingrid-Alexandra for the moment is still the heir to the heir.

The pictures were taken in her office, because they accompany the announcement that she has received her own office at the Royal Palace ahead of her 18th birthday. I believe the other part is to clarify that, despite receiving the office, she will not to be a full-time royal yet due to her studies.
But nonetheless, I agree that getting her own office is a big deal!

The other intention of these pictures seems to be to show her as a future head of state and a serious person, dedicated to the duties that await her in the future. And I think it works because she pulls it off. It's quite admirable, because I don't think it's easy for an 18-year-old to look like a future head of state, yet she 100% does. :flowers: It's in her demeanor and confidence, I think.

The black pantsuit takes away that focus on clothes and looks, which Queen Sonja has discussed - I agree, Tatiana Maria. Though there will be Princess pictures with a tiara as well, when the delayed gala dinner takes place.

I actually don't think the pantsuit worked, if the aim was to take focus off her looks — many of us here are simply talking about how pretty she is, anyway, and undoubtedly elsewhere.

I think IA overshot the mark, frankly; she could have worn any number of tasteful dresses, or at least a non-black suit, and not needed to appear like she was trying so hard or aiming for 36, not 18.

There's a fairly fine line between serious and decorative, and I hope for her sake she doesn't need to be so earnest for her entire public career.

Ingrid Alexandra wears a suit and people goes bananas. When for example the Bourbon-Two Sicilies sisters wear short dresses people goes bananas over that.
How about letting young women wear what they want without passing judgement on them for it and imposing your own views about what's fitting or appropriate on them.

Last edited:
The black suit looks absolutely fine. In fact, the blank canvas of her outfit only goes to highlight her exceptional beauty. She really is a natural beauty, however, she also has an aura of confidence and tranquility that is extraordinary. She really does come off as a future Queen of Norway.

How about letting young women wear what they want without passing judgement on them for it and imposing your own views about what's fitting or appropriate on them.

How about "That's what they do in private"?

When they're adults acting in the public sphere, we can pass the same kinds of judgment that go with every other aspect of royalty.

I actually don't think the pantsuit worked, if the aim was to take focus off her looks — many of us here are simply talking about how pretty she is, anyway, and undoubtedly elsewhere.

I think IA overshot the mark, frankly; she could have worn any number of tasteful dresses, or at least a non-black suit, and not needed to appear like she was trying so hard or aiming for 36, not 18.

There's a fairly fine line between serious and decorative, and I hope for her sake she doesn't need to be so earnest for her entire public career.

Sure, people are still saying that she is pretty, because she truly is exceptionally beautiful, but I feel like there really are fewer comments on her clothes this time.

I've noticed it happens occasionally that some of the young heiresses' clothes are considered too old for them. But I think it's much better to dress in a way where that happens from time to time than to have people to say: this is not appropriate for a future Queen.

Personally, I think it's a good outfit to present herself as future Queen in her new office. A nice dress would also have been, but I don't mind whether it's a pantsuit or a dress.
But there will be more outfits: her TV interview, her visits to Parliament etc on Thursday, her Birthday Reception on Friday and her Birthday Gala Dinner when Covid allows, which will be a tiara & ballgown appearance.

Can someone translate the interview or provide a summary please?

I have mixed feelings on the photos. They are beautiful- I think she could have worn a potato sack and still look stunning.
However clothing and appearance are key elements for a public figure. Presenting an 18 y/o as a 36 y/o entrepreneur is not appealing. She is just 18. Perhaps if they presented other photos of her it would have been ok.

I will wait two or three more years to pass judgment, but I feel it will be a close call between Ingrid Alexandra and the Princess of Asturias.

Ingrid Alexandra wears a suit and people goes bananas. When for example the Bourbon-Two Sicilies sisters wear short dresses people goes bananas over that.

Presumably your post is directed at least in part at mine, which was the first to mention the business suit. To be honest, I cannot see which part of it, or other posts in this thread, could be taken as "going bananas". (And, as you know, my only comment on the Bourbon-Two Sicilies dresses was that I saw nothing odd about them.)

I am in agreement with Queen Sonja that there is an excess of public focus on the clothes and looks of female royals and public persons. However, the present situation is that the standard dress codes imposed on European princesses (tiaras, dresses, jewels, etc.) are distinct from those imposed on European princes (suits). In my judgment, a decision to diverge from those standards is worthy of analysis for the same reason that the decision to install Ingrid Alexandra as heiress to a throne ahead of her brother is worthy of analysis because gender-equal succession is not the standard practice in monarchies. If at some future date, gender-equal succession and gender-equal dress codes become standard usage and no longer worthy of comment, I will welcome that.

Certainly, and I don't believe "passing judgment" was the intent, although in situations like these, it is possible that Ingrid Alexandra's clothing choices were determined more by her parents or grandparents or an advisor or stylist than by what she personally wants. But why only young women and not older women, who are also subjected to public judgment for their clothing choices?

Last edited:

Once you become an adult Royal, the moaning and critics getting started....!:whistling:

Very nice video of the family. Beautiful location and they look like great skiers

Very nice video of the family. Beautiful location and they look like great skiers
[/QUOTE

Beautiful video. However, I have to ask -- and, I'm not trying to be antagonistic --- but, how does MM ski if she has COPD?

I agree, great video of what looks to be a lovely family.

And I love how they didn't edit out Ingrid-Alexandra's fall.

[/QUOTE

Beautiful video. However, I have to ask -- and, I'm not trying to be antagonistic --- but, how does MM ski if she has COPD?

Mette Marit has pulmonary fibrosis which is not the same as COPD (see this explanation).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom