Ingrid Alexandra's 18th birthday: 21 January, 2022 & birthday celebrations

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
(..)

The Chief of Defense has decided that the Armed Forces will deliver salutes from all salute stations at 12.00, 21 shots, as the Armed Forces' gift to the princess on her 18th birthday

It appears in a letter from the Armed Forces 'Joint Services dated 3 November, which the Armed Forces' forum has been given access to.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra turns 18 on Friday 21 January 2022.

According to SNL, 21 shots are saluted for various special markings in the royal house. The birthday of all members of the royal family who have reached the age of majority is one of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Thanks. I'm not acquainted with the "Armed Forces' forum" where you say you found this announcement. Could you please post either the link to the announcement or the link to the forum?

:previous: Thanks. I'm not acquainted with the "Armed Forces' forum" where you say you found this announcement. Could you please post either the link to the announcement or the link to the forum?

I found this on another forum, so I do not have a link to share.

Wonder what if any celebrations there will be. When her father turned 18 there where 2 big Dinners/Balls one hosted by the Government and one by his parents. But of course he was then already (if only for a few months) Crown Prince.

Wonder what if any celebrations there will be. When her father turned 18 there where 2 big Dinners/Balls one hosted by the Government and one by his parents. But of course he was then already (if only for a few months) Crown Prince.
Well, his elder sister, just a granddaughter of a monarch when she came of age and never a CPcss, had a similar ball and banquet in 1989 - I guess there was not an invitation from the government, though...?

When it comes to Ingrid, as a future Crown Princess and Queen, there must be something. I just guess there might be some pandemic restricted and something more modern than a court ball introduced by a polonaise etc. The invitation of the government will definitely only be black tie.
The last ball of the RF was, if I remember correctly, in 2007 for TMs 70th birthday. The King and Queen refused making another ball for big events and anniversaries since then, such as the Silver Jubilee of their accession, their 80th birthday celebrations and so on.

It would be very sad, but it might be that they consider a ball at the palace as too elite, too old fashioned...!?

Last edited:
Well, his elder sister, just a granddaughter of a monarch when she came of age and never a CPcss, had a similar ball and banquet in 1989 - I guess there was not an invitation from the government, though...?

When it comes to Ingrid, as a future Crown Princess and Queen, there must be something. I just guess there might be some pandemic restricted and something more modern than a court ball introduced by a polonaise etc. The invitation of the government will definitely only be black tie.
The last ball of the RF was, if I remember correctly, in 2007 for TMs 70th birthday. The King and Queen refused making another ball for big events and anniversaries since then, such as the Silver Jubilee of their accession, their 80th birthday celebrations and so on.

It would be very sad, but it might be that they consider a ball at the palace as too elite, too old fashioned...!?

It would be great if they had some form of gala, where her peers and their siblings from other royal houses were also invited.

Was that only a Gala Dinner in 2017. could also be that the King and Queen decided to go without dancing as they are not the youngest anymore. Yes it would be said if there wouldn't be more Balls but sadly i believe that there will be less and lesser.

It would be great if they had some form of gala, where her peers and their siblings from other royal houses were also invited.

If i remembver right that was the case when Haakon turned 18. So that his peers were in attendance.
Wouldn't hat be great if for example the dutch King and queen would come with their 2 odler daughter and the danish CrownPrincely Couple with Prince Christian and the spanish King and queen with the Princess of Asturias. And and and ...

At last one can dream of it.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hat be great if for example the dutch King and queen would come with their 2 odler daughter and the danish CrownPrincely Couple with Prince Christian and the spanish King and queen with the Princess of Asturias. And and and ...

That is exactly what I thought might work well. Perhaps the Belgians could bring 1-2 children along as well.

I want a fancy dancing party with peers and friends for IA, but there's no guarantee what pandemic restrictions will actually allow.

(..)

The Chief of Defense has decided that the Armed Forces will deliver salutes from all salute stations at 12.00, 21 shots, as the Armed Forces' gift to the princess on her 18th birthday

It appears in a letter from the Armed Forces 'Joint Services dated 3 November, which the Armed Forces' forum has been given access to.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra turns 18 on Friday 21 January 2022.

According to SNL, 21 shots are saluted for various special markings in the royal house. The birthday of all members of the royal family who have reached the age of majority is one of these.

:previous:

Here is the source for muriel's post. It actually states that the 21-shot salute is for members of the royal house (not royal family).

https://forsvaretsforum.no/forsvare...nongave-til-prinsesse-ingrid-alexandra/227225

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it is responsible for managing an event on January 20 in connection with the princess's coming of age on January 21, for which 3.5 million NOK has been budgeted.

Has any information about that event been published?

If her birthday is in fact the 21st and not the 22nd, shouldn't the title of this thread be corrected?

Nine salutes? That's a lot!

The soldiers are gonna love that. It must be fun to fire canons and especially if you do it perfectly.

It seems like the Norwegians plans to go all in celebrating Ingrid's birthday.
Good. It's my impression that she is a very well-liked girl in Norway.
And I think the Norwegians, like everybody else, need to celebrate something, anything. During the dark month of January and with the current Corona-wave having hopefully diminished a lot by then, what is better than celebrating a national symbol?

A very sound and considerate decision. If we could watch the 2020 Olympics in 2021, why not celebrate a birthday a bit later?

Rather sensible. They should have done the same in The Netherlands. I already saw a headline in one of the boulevard magazines: 'While Amalia was partying: 18th birthday celebrations of Norwegian princess postponed'.

Considering the thing is in the middle of the winter and a few weeks after christmas - last year a peak moment- it is logical to postpone it a few months.

A wise move on behalf of the Norwegian Royal Family and can be celebrated at a later date.

With the concerns of Mette-Marits health issues a wise decision of the Norwegian Royal Court to postpone the celebrations. I guess Ingrid Alexandra will then enjoy their special day more intensive.

A very wise move indeed.

And also hardly surprising, given the Corona situation.

The Norwegians will no doubt be delighted to celebrate Ingrid big time, especially when the weather gets better. - Also gives them an opportunity to air their traditional costumes.

Maybe the gala dinner has been postponed, but other engagements were announced .

"Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra will visit the Storting (Norwegian Parliament), the Supreme Court and the Prime Minister's office on 20 January 2021 in connection with her official day.

10 a.m.: H.K.H. Princess Ingrid Alexandra visits the Storting and is briefed on the National Assembly's work by Storting President Masud Gharahkhani.

11.15am: H.K.H. Princess Ingrid Alexandra visits the Supreme Court and is briefed on the court's activities by Supreme Court Justice Toril Marie Øie.

12.30 pm: H.K.H. Princess Ingrid Alexandra visits Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre and representatives from the government at the Prime Minister's office and is briefed on the work of the government and the ministries."

"21.01.2022 Congratulatory deputations Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra receives congratulatory deputations on the occasion of her 18th birthday. Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and The Crown Princess will also be in attendance""

https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=200581&sek=112472

Last edited:
It's a good new. And it's an important event for Ingrid Alexandra. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that gets more Events and celebrations then Elisabeth and Amalia although she is not yet the heir and so far only the Nr. 2 in the line of succession.

But then this is the scandinavian way of doing such things.

Interesting that gets more Events and celebrations then Elisabeth and Amalia although she is not yet the heir and so far only the Nr. 2 in the line of succession.

But then this is the scandinavian way of doing such things.
Yes, in the Netherlands and Belgium, festivities like these or anniversaries are being dealt with in an almost "republically boring, colourless" way....

I'm looking forward to the 18th Birthday Celebrations for HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway!

Dagbladet asked the Royal court about Princess Ingrid's upcoming 18th birthday if there would be gifted a heirloom or new tiara to her. The Royal court would not comment upon that matter.
Then the newspaper asked if the jewels of the late Princess Ragnhild was given back and surprisingly they confirmed that the royal heirlooms items and jewelry that the Princess Ragnhild had in her posession has been given back. They stated "giving back royal heirloom jewels and items after death is a tradition for over 100 years in the Norwegian royal house, and it was done also when Queen Maud and Crown Princess Martha died". They also stated the heirloom jewels are part of HM the King's private estate.

Therefore we can assume we soon will see some of these items reused by other members, like f ex Ingrid and Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

Dagbladet asked the Royal court about Princess Ingrid's upcoming 18th birthday if there would be gifted a heirloom or new tiara to her. The Royal court would not comment upon that matter.
Then the newspaper asked if the jewels of the late Princess Ragnhild was given back and surprisingly they confirmed that the royal heirlooms items and jewelry that the Princess Ragnhild had in her posession has been given back. They stated "giving back royal heirloom jewels and items after death is a tradition for over 100 years in the Norwegian royal house, and it was done also when Queen Maud and Crown Princess Martha died". They also stated the heirloom jewels are part of HM the King's private estate.

Therefore we can assume we soon will see some of these items reused by other members, like f ex Ingrid and Crown Princess Mette-Marit.

Let's hop ewe will see soon some of them. But the statement about the Jewels of Queen Maud and CP Märtha is strange as both had only the jewels they had gotten as Wedding gifts or other gifts or inherited and then the Jewels went to their child/children.

Let's hop ewe will see soon some of them. But the statement about the Jewels of Queen Maud and CP Märtha is strange as both had only the jewels they had gotten as Wedding gifts or other gifts or inherited and then the Jewels went to their child/children.

I agree. I think the paper wrote it in a strange way. But it was to confirm that all the royal jewels are owned by HM the King. It is indeed great news, to keep the collection intact.

Also, their jewels went to their children, so it's kind of difficult to differentiate 'handing back' from 'leaving to'. And I wonder if this 'handing back' includes the pearl tiara of Princess Ingeborg. From all we know, this was Ingeborg's private possession, which she chose to give to her granddaughter and goddaughter Ragnhild as a present. It is kind of strange, that it has never been seen as a wedding tiara in Princess Ragnhild's family.
I agree. I think the paper wrote it in a strange way. But it was to confirm that all the royal jewels are owned by HM the King. It is indeed great news, to keep the collection intact.
I agree, there will be quite a number of tiaras and other jewels for Ingrid Alexandra to use in the future. There are also Princess Astrid's heirlooms which will be handed back one day. And then there used to be reports that Queen Sophia's pink tourmaline parure was sold to the Norwegian RF by Countess Estelle's heirs. I wonder if that rumour will be confirmed soon?:D

Back
Top Bottom