Ingrid Alexandra ,Sverre Magnus and Marius: discussion 2006 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She would never be send on a mission, but I think it's crucial in fact that she gets a thorough idea of what it is soldiers are send out to do - in her name.

And as Camelot23ca points out she will be judged by merit, because there can be no cheating on the obstacle course, on the parade ground or in the barracks. It's immediately apparent if you don't live up to standard.
And people who are dog-tired don't hide their resentment. But on the other hand so much bigger is the feeling of camaraderie when you have accomplished something as a group.

It will be healthy for Ingrid (and all the other heirs) to really have to struggle, push her own boundaries, to live up to a certain and sometime seemingly unreasonable standard and being judged instantly by her peers.

I firmly believe that to struggle and win is the sweetest form of victory, especially for young people. It builds up self confidence.
Failing is healthy too, so long as they try again and again.

Juliane Snekkestad was diagnosted as bipolar. The article in
https://www.dagbladet.no/kjendis/apner-seg-om-diagnosen/74887973

Thank you very much for posting this, rchainho.

The interview itself seems to be behind a paywall but the articles give her the impression of being an interesting and outspoken individual.

I noticed that according to the preview of the interview, she refers to the Crown Prince Couple as "the world's best in-laws". Is it normal in Norwegian society to address an unmarried partner's parents as in-laws?

What is the public's judgment of her television and film acting roles? Are they understood to be earned on her own merits or because of her position as partner of a member of the Royal Family?

Thank you very much for posting this, rchainho.

The interview itself seems to be behind a paywall but the articles give her the impression of being an interesting and outspoken individual.

I noticed that according to the preview of the interview, she refers to the Crown Prince Couple as "the world's best in-laws". Is it normal in Norwegian society to address an unmarried partner's parents as in-laws?

What is the public's judgment of her television and film acting roles? Are they understood to be earned on her own merits or because of her position as partner of a member of the Royal Family?

Where did you see that quote? I don't seem to be able to find it.

But the story about their nose-cuddling is endearing.
She and Marius has a habit of rubbing their noses, so at one point Marius asked why they do it, to which she responded that it's just something sweethearts do. Marius then asked: "It that what we are?" - Well, it seems so.
And Marius appears to have hit the jackpot here! Looks and brains and maturity and guts to talk openly about her disorder.

Where did you see that quote? I don't seem to be able to find it.

Here is a direct link: https://www.aftenposten.no/amagasin...-har-bein-nok-i-nesen-til-aa-takle-bransjen-e

Juliane Snekkestad har snakket om jobben sin som modell, og om Instagram-kontoen med 50.000 følgere. Om oppveksten i Tønsberg, om hvordan hun møtte Marius Borg Høiby, og om oppmerksomheten det vakte da hun ble kjæreste med kronprinsesse Mette-Marits eldste sønn. Hun har snakket om at kronprinsen og kronprinsessen er «verdens beste svigers».​

Maybe Juliane and Marius got married privately?

The rate of unmarried partnerships in Norway is so high (as Mette-Marit herself would know) that it's probably not that unusual to refer to the "in-laws" when you've been together as long as Juliane and Marius.

Here is a direct link: https://www.aftenposten.no/amagasin...-har-bein-nok-i-nesen-til-aa-takle-bransjen-e

Juliane Snekkestad har snakket om jobben sin som modell, og om Instagram-kontoen med 50.000 følgere. Om oppveksten i Tønsberg, om hvordan hun møtte Marius Borg Høiby, og om oppmerksomheten det vakte da hun ble kjæreste med kronprinsesse Mette-Marits eldste sønn. Hun har snakket om at kronprinsen og kronprinsessen er «verdens beste svigers».​

Thanks.

I see. That should be translated to "in-laws." - I.e. less formal than parents-in-law and as such can also be used, I think, as a name for your sweetheart/fiancee's parents. After all you have to call them something. And calling them "Marius parents" or even longer "my upcoming parents-in-law" takes forever, especially if you text.

ADDED: And as Prinsara points out it's far from unusual to call your spouse's parents parents-in-law (svigerforældre) whether you are married or not.

Last edited:
Interesting, in the year-end roundup documentary apparently Sonja says IA (very, VERY understandably) gets pretty annoyed when all the press writes about her is what she wears and how she looks. It's not easy being a teenage girl, or a teenage princess, or even a very pretty teenage princess...

Downsides with everything.

I'm not surprised by I-A's feelings. She's right.

I think many of these future queens are working very hard in their studies, while their hair and clothing are frequently the only things people discuss. Too often, when their studies are discussed, I see people online assume the worst intentions, or predict failure for no factual reason at all.

Also, there are many, many trolls who body shame royal children. It's disgusting. How anyone can live with themselves for acting in such a way is beyond me. :sad:

Granted, I think if Magnus and Ingrid had their ages and positions reversed, the media would do the exact same thing, so it sadly has nothing at all to do with her being the future queen, and everything to do with her being a pretty princess.

And a pretty princess is too easily reduced and commoditized to her face and whatever she's wearing, and always has been, so this one is right to let her feelings be known (or Bestemor Sonja is wise to make them known).

I wasn't entirely kidding when I said Ingrid's looks were wasted given they weren't necessary for her job... Even given the security of her position, she may spend the next two or three decades having to work against them and getting people to care about other things.

Last edited:
Interesting, in the year-end roundup documentary apparently Sonja says IA (very, VERY understandably) gets pretty annoyed when all the press writes about her is what she wears and how she looks. It's not easy being a teenage girl, or a teenage princess, or even a very pretty teenage princess...

Downsides with everything.

I am sure many, if not most, adult princesses feel much the same, even if they do not say so openly.

Granted, I think if Magnus and Ingrid had their ages and positions reversed, the media would do the exact same thing, so it sadly has nothing at all to do with her being the future queen, and everything to do with her being a pretty princess.

And a pretty princess is too easily reduced and commoditized to her face and whatever she's wearing, and always has been, so this one is right to let her feelings be known (or Bestemor Sonja is wise to make them known).

The reduction to face and clothes also is and has always been applied to unpretty and unfashionable princesses and other non-royal women in the limelight, only in a more negative manner.

Sverre Magnus gets lots of press for his weight. And I think if their positions were reversed he'd still get crap for his appearance. So being a boy isn't helping him too much.

Oh, I think every single teenage Queen-to-be and Princess from the ruling houses are pretty regularly reduced to their looks, whatever their looks maybe.

Their male counterparts don't seem to suffer as much trolling, from what I have read. JMO. So I do strongly believe there is an obvious and repugnant amount of chauvinism and sexism directed at these girls and young women. What is so strange, is that I see women do so as much as men online.

I am sure many, if not most, adult princesses feel much the same, even if they do not say so openly.

The reduction to face and clothes also is and has always been applied to unpretty and unfashionable princesses and other non-royal women in the limelight, only in a more negative manner.

I don't know. Perhaps older princesses are not as idealistic, have gotten used to it, or simply don't expect anything else. At any rate, I'm not aware we have fairly direct statements from too many of them, especially not at such a young age, so Ingrid is still quite right to speak for herself, even if not necessarily for anyone else.

Her friend and contemporary Catharina-Amalia just put out an entire book and spoke about many personal things and how attention makes her feel like there's a goldfish on her head, but not, I think, how being less-stereotypically beautiful has affected her. I imagine she and Ingrid have had quite a few discussions about how dumb people are by now.

I don't know. Perhaps older princesses are not as idealistic, have gotten used to it, or simply don't expect anything else. At any rate, I'm not aware we have fairly direct statements from too many of them, especially not at such a young age, so Ingrid is still quite right to speak for herself, even if not necessarily for anyone else.

I agree that it is best that Ingrid Alexandra not attempt to speak for any other princesses except herself (unless she has their consent, of course). My comment was in response to what I thought was your own remark about being a teenage princess.

Her friend and contemporary Catharina-Amalia just put out an entire book and spoke about many personal things and how attention makes her feel like there's a goldfish on her head, but not, I think, how being less-stereotypically beautiful has affected her. I imagine she and Ingrid have had quite a few discussions about how dumb people are by now.

Hopefully they will be a good support to one another.

At the moment I cannot recall whether any princess has publicly discussed how not being stereotypically beautiful has affected her, but it would hopefully and potentially do the public some good if a princess were to do so.

At the moment I cannot recall whether any princess has publicly discussed how not being stereotypically beautiful has affected her, but it would hopefully and potentially do the public some good if a princess were to do so.

Victoria of Sweden has spoken at some length about how what she felt was the excessive attention paid to how she looked contributed to her anxiety and suffering from anorexia and then having to recover, but I don't know if her less-conventional looks played a part, or what her younger sister who is conventionally beautiful dealt with by comparison (other than the attention of Jeffrey Epstein, apparently...)

Just goes to show you that it doesn't change much, seemingly.

At any rate, Ingrid knows Victoria (and presumably Madeleine) well and has surely heard many stories at this point.

According to another viewer it was the Queen who felt annoyance over the focus on Princess Ingrid Alexandra's appearance. Is there a transcript to clarify whom she was speaking about?

I wasn't entirely kidding when I said Ingrid's looks were wasted given they weren't necessary for her job... Even given the security of her position, she may spend the next two or three decades having to work against them and getting people to care about other things.
She is her mother´s daughter indeed. The Crown Princess said something similar a couple of years ago that, if she would just be reduced of her clothes and other superficial things while her activities as a member of the NRF were hardly reckognized instead, things would be very wrong. I could not agree more to that.

According to another viewer it was the Queen who felt annoyance over the focus on Princess Ingrid Alexandra's appearance. Is there a transcript to clarify whom she was speaking about?

I watched the segment, this is my own translation:

Interviewer: It's a little different, maybe a different pressure on the women of the world's Royal Houses. There is often a focus on a lot other than the function itself. What advice would the Queen give her granddaughter as a future representative?

Queen Sonja: I've been very annoyed by that. You are out doing a job - and then there is the appearance, whether it is this or that, wrong or right. I fully understand that you react to that. But for Ingrid, I want to say that it is very important to be clear about what values ​​you have found in life, and what values ​​you want to live by. It is very important. If that is clear to you, you stand by it. You have a platform that is good to stand on. I think that's the advice I would give.

I thought this part was also very interesting:

Interviewer: Can you describe her (Ingrid Alexandra), what she is like as a person?

King Harald: That is not easy. She's very sweet, I have to say that. She calls herself the best granddaughter. (laughs)

Queen Sonja: She is very conscientious in a school context. And very social. She loves sports, she is fearless. She surfs and is full of activity.

CP Mette-Marit: She is very wise, reflective, funny and exciting to be with.

CP Haakon: Curious and open.

CP Mette-Marit: She has discussions with us at the dinner table until we get bored - and send her somewhere else to discuss. (laughs) Like most young people, she has a lot she wants to talk about. We are incredibly lucky as parents, and have a lot of fun with our children.

Last edited:
So it is Sonja, and yet I would bet anything Ingrid either feels the same way or would do very shortly. (If she didn't, wouldn't Sonja have have said "now Ingrid isn't bothered by it"...?)

Are they going to make one of these programs for SM like they did for Märtha Louise, or is he going to remain the invisible 'ordinary' child in emergency reserve?

I watched the segment, this is my own translation:

Interviewer: It's a little different, maybe a different pressure on the women of the world's Royal Houses. There is often a focus on a lot other than the function itself. What advice would the Queen give her granddaughter as a future representative?

Queen Sonja: I've been very annoyed by that. You are out doing a job - and then there is the appearance, whether it is this or that, wrong or right. I fully understand that you react to that. But for Ingrid, I want to say that it is very important to be clear about what values ​​you have found in life, and what values ​​you want to live by. It is very important. If that is clear to you, you stand by it. You have a platform that is good to stand on. I think that's the advice I would give.

I thought this part was also very interesting:

Interviewer: Can you describe her (Ingrid Alexandra), what she is like as a person?

King Harald: That is not easy. She's very sweet, I have to say that. She calls herself the best granddaughter. (laughs)

Queen Sonja: She is very conscientious in a school context. And very social. She loves sports, she is fearless. She surfs and is full of activity.

CP Mette-Marit: She is very wise, reflective, funny and exciting to be with.

CP Haakon: Curious and open.

CP Mette-Marit: She has discussions with us at the dinner table until we get bored - and send her somewhere else to discuss. (laughs) Like most young people, she has a lot she wants to talk about. We are incredibly lucky as parents, and have a lot of fun with our children.

Thank you very much for the transcription, Princess_Eleanor!

I would take Princess Ingrid Alexandra's fondness of discussing with her parents at the dinner table "until they get bored" as a mark of the closeness and trust in their relationship. As the monarchy will be best served if they closely cooperate for decades to come, that is a positive sign.

So it is Sonja, and yet I would bet anything Ingrid either feels the same way or would do very shortly. (If she didn't, wouldn't Sonja have have said "now Ingrid isn't bothered by it"...?)

Are they going to make one of these programs for SM like they did for Märtha Louise, or is he going to remain the invisible 'ordinary' child in emergency reserve?

Yes, it's Sonja who is annoyed by it on Ingrid's behalf.

But I also think that this question was asked in the first place because Sonja has expressed sentiments like these in the past, where it concerned herself. Like Ingrid she was always a very pretty Princess/ (later Queen), but she didn't want to be reduced to her looks and fashion.

That's one of the reasons why she joined the military as Crown Princess and later on, as Queen, requested that her program on State Visits go beyond the traditional "lady's program" of fashion shows and art. She insisted that she, as a woman, could also attend economic events etc. And while she was/ is a consort, not a Queen regnant like Ingrid Alexandra will be, it's the sort of thing that is very normal for consorts today to attend.

So I would say that the interviewer knew very well who he was asking this question and the response he was going to get. Women's equality is one of Sonja's favourite causes, and of course she would like her own granddaughter to be seen as an intelligent and capable future Queen, not just a pretty Princess with nice clothes.

Here is the rest of the part of the interview, which concerned Princess Ingrid Alexandra:

Interviewer: I asked the King if she, as hereditary Princess, is committed to a military education. It will not be up to me, he replied. So I ask those who may have a say: does she have to go through it?

CP Haakon: No, she's not obliged to. Other than the first-time service that is. You have a duty if the Armed Forces call you in. (I believe he means conscription, though I don't know how exactly that works in Norway.) Beyond that, she does not really have to. We will spend some time figuring it out - how we are going to deal with it, and how she herself wants it.

Interviewer: Will there be more representation assignments?

King Harald: Maybe, but the most important thing for her is that she has a year left in high school. And then she has to get further education. For some years to come, education will probably be most important.

Interviewer: Can the King say something about what he and his family have emphasized - about protecting her in the situation she is in?

King Harald: I think her parents have tried to, and have succeeded. You in the press have also been understanding, and left her alone as much as possible. She's had a... I would call it a private life. Now she is coming of age, we hope that she is still allowed to be, in the usual way.

CP Mette-Marit: I think we have probably been very concerned that she should be allowed to be - not so much with us at work, especially in adolescence. The children were more with us before, but we have shielded the children in the phase they have been in. We think it has been important for them.

CP Haakon: Their focus has been on school and adolescent life. We have limited official appearances quite a bit.

Interviewer: Will there gradually be more appearances after her 18th birthday, is it a turning point?

CP Haakon: No, not in itself, really. She is still in the process of getting her education - which she will be for a number of years to come. Furthermore, she also gets to partake in the decision of when she wants to start doing a little more officially. But she will be 18 years old, and it will be nice to celebrate it. She will visit Parliament and the government. Those things naturally follow. It is a good start.

Thank you very much for the transcription, Princess_Eleanor!

I would take Princess Ingrid Alexandra's fondness of discussing with her parents at the dinner table "until they get bored" as a mark of the closeness and trust in their relationship. As the monarchy will be best served if they closely cooperate for decades to come, that is a positive sign.

You're welcome ?

I agree that Ingrid Alexandra seems very close to her parents. And a teenager wanting to talk to their parents a lot - not bad ;) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom