Haakon's official visit to Chile - January 22-26, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurora810

Serene Highness
City
Dallas
Country
United States
Good info, Larzen! I'm looking forward to the trip to Chile already!!!

i'm also really excited about the chile trip! it's certainly something totally different than all the trips abroad they have done, i don't recall them visiting south america at all as a couple!

In January there will be an official visit to Chile in cooperation with the Chilean-Norwegian Chamber of Trade and commerce and Innovasion Norway, focus areas are fish, agriculture, torurism and energy.
Chile vil samarbeide med Bergen - Bergen Næringsråd
This thread will be closed until we're closer to January - or if there is more news to be discussed. Thank you, Larzen, for letting us know about the visit.:flowers:

It will be interesting to see if they go to Chile as planned, despite the info they have been presented with.

Intresting that this letter just came out when the trip was announced a while ago.

I don't think they'll cancel their plans.

what a difficult position for them! i just hope that if they do cancel the trip, the claims are true and viceversa. i hope to see them there, though (MM did wonderfully while visiting guatemala earlier on!), although if the claims are serious, perhaps it's better if they do cancel it. i'm sure they should have advisors investigating the situation before/at the moment. was an official agenda released?

I read this afternoon that the Crown Prince couple will leave tomorrow, Tuesday for Chile. The trip will go ahead.

According to Aftenposten MM had to cancel her trip because she is sick.
Haakon left for Chile alone, it's not sure whether MM will join him when she feels better.
Mette-Marit avlyser Chile-tur

It's a pity, I always enjoy seeing pictures of their official visits. Somehow I'm not so interested in what they do in Norway but I think they are a great team abroad (e.g. in India).:)

Regarding the request to cancel the trip I agree with some other poster:
The trip was announced quite a while ago and I assume that such official visits are decided carefully and in accordance with the foreign ministry and planned long in advance before they are announced. Cancelling now (because of ethical reasons) would be an insult to Chile.

Last edited:
According to Aftenposten MM had to cancel her trip because she is sick.
Haakon left for Chile alone, it's not sure whether MM will join him when she feels better.
I think that it depends on how ill she is. Obviously by being advised by her doctor not to travel (I can't imagine all those hours on a plane being fun if you have "omgangssyke" ie. the stomach flu) she isn't well. The question is when she gets well, and whether or not she will feel up to a long plane trip to Chile then.

From the article it sounds like the stomach flu is something that "goes around" at the Palace and in Ingrid's kindergarten. Probably inevitable that at least one of Haakon and Mette-Marit would get it.

I hope she gets better soon. This wouldve been a lovely trip of the couple, guess would see them another time.

I dont think shell follow him, the visit is short & pretty long way. Unless they would plan to stay a few days later after the trip.

So when does the visit actually start, today or tomorrow?

Poor Mette-Marit! The stomach flu is awful. There is nothing worse than travelling while you are ill. It is impossible to enjoy yourself or do anything at all when you have the stomach flu. I hope that she feels better very soon.:flowers:

I feel bad for MM! Our family just got over the flu and it was awful! I hope she feels better soon.

I know that infection is aweful! wish her soon recovery. did Haakon leave for Chile?

Tomorrow´s agenda for Prince Haakon

His Royal Highness The Crown Prince visits the Bernardo O'Higgens Monument for wreath-laying ceremony, followed by a visit to the Bernardo O'Higgens Crypt (15:30 local time).

His Royal Highness The Crown Prince arrives at La Moneda for meeting with the President of Chile, Her Excellency Ms Michelle Bachelet (16:00 local time).

His Royal Highness The Crown Prince attends official dinner hosted by Her Excellency President Bachelet at La Moneda (20:20 local time).

kongehuset.no - Official engagements

It's sad to hear Mette-marit had to cancel her agenda. I hope she will recover soon.

Anyway, I am looking forward to see Prince Haakon in Chile!

I hope Crown Princess Mette - Marit get's better soon.

It's too bad that Mette-Marit had to cancel, although it's certainly understandable. You can't really do public engagements if you are having stomach problems all day. I'm glad that Haakon is well so that the trip didn't have to be completely canceled.

Is there any hope that she could go there in a day or two when she feels better ?

I don't think the intended visit is more than five days, so it probably would be pointless for her to go now. She would only end up spending two days there, which would be exhausting for someone who had recently been ill. Who knows? She does seem energetic, so you never know.

Thank you for the pictures Paty! He is so handsome.

Article and photo from Aftenposten.
Can someone translate it? I think Prince Haakon talk about Mette Marit...

Kanskje kronprinsen smittet Mette-Marit

He talks about how he had similar symptoms as Mette-Marit not too long ago and the reporter asks if she might've got it from him, but he points out that with two children in nursery school/kindergarten and one in school, it is almost impossible to guard oneself against the stomach flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom