Haakon and Mette-Marit hosting dinners at Skaugum

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're having a "theme" dinner at Skaugum tonight, according to the royal calendar. This time it is "Det frivillige Norge" who are invited. Det Frivillige Norge is an umbrella organization for about 70 of the Norwegian organizations involving volunteer work.

The subject of the dinner is cultural freedom, and the header is "How do you create a good fellowship in a diverse society."
Temamiddag på Skaugum

thanks for the pictures, great to see the crown prince and princess ,
metta merit looks lovely , nice to see her in light colours ,

They talked about this event in the Breakfast TV show this morning. The press people critisised this event of being a publicity stunt, since they only got to film/take photos of the people entering the event. One of the people on the show, said that if the point of this event was to raise awareness on a topic, this was not the way to go. Also they claimed that the CP couple had used a PR firm to promote the event, which the people on the show found strange, since this was a charity event.

I do understand that the CP couple don't want the press there for the whole duration of the event, that the dinner is supposed to be more low key, but I do also understand the press for wanting more than photos from the entering, that they want a bit more info on the background. I do believe that not all the press is tabloid in the way that they only want photos and shock stories, but also want to report on the things the CP couple do of charitable events. Especially, since most of the things the CP couple do is rather important (like mental health, HIV/AIDS, international poverty etc.) and deserve public attention. Or perhaps I'm a bit naïve towards the press?!?

How lovely is Princess Mette-Marit ! How do I like her !

What was this event? Was it for World AIDS Day?
No, I don't think so. MM and Haakon just host this kind of dinners from time to time.

The calendar entry says:

Banquet at Skaugum

Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess are giving a banquet at Skaugum (18:30)

Such dinners are nice to host time to time but it would also be nice to know why they are hosted. MM could look much taller and not pregnant if she stands up straight, she has bad posture. It seems to such dinners MM is always seen in dark colors.

Do these dinners have a theme (recognition of someone)? Whom do they invite? I think that it is nice that they host dinners regularly. They do seem very social. I am sure that these invitiations are extremely coveted.

Very nice article! I was able to translate it, and I was very impressed with the CP couple for inviting this woman to sing for them. I admire their commitment to helping those who are typically shunned by society (ie. mental disorders, AIDS, etc). The CP couple have always seemed to be genuinely caring, good people.

The CP Couple will host a dinner at Skaugum next week.
18.06.2013 Banquet at Skaugum
Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince and Crown Princess host a banquet at Skaugum (19:00).
Here is an article about a volunteer of the Red Cross receiving an invitation. Probably about 55 volunteers from across the country are expected.
Det blir sikkert ikke lapskaus - Nyheter
Google Translation

Sounds like a nice thing to do. I would say that Prince Haakon and Mette-Marit are very down to earth people.

Yes it's a nice tradition, they do such dinners several times a year.

Press release about the dinner next week
kongehuset.no - Gjestebud på Skaugum: Presseinformasjon
Google Translation
This year's dinner is a collaboration with the Red Cross. The focus this time is loneliness as a social challenge. Guests are participants and volunteers in Red Cross programs across the country on this topic.
The couple has invited more than 50 guests to Skaugum this evening, and are holding such a dinner for the ninth time this year.

ADD: about another guest, a 17-year old student http://www.romsdal.vgs.no/Romsdal-VGS/Nyheter/Ilyar-Ehet-til-Gjestebud-hos-kronprinsparet
Google Translation

Last edited:
On Thursday, the CP Couple will host their traditional banquet at Skaugum, now for the 10th time:

27.11.2014 Banquet at Skaugum
Their Royal Highnesses The Crown Prince Regent and The Crown Princess host a banquet at Skaugum (20:00).

The banquet was first held in conjunction with the telethon Hjerterom in 2004, which went to the Church City Mission and the Council for Mental Health. 10 years later, several of the guests from the first year are invited back, in addition to some new guests from these two organizations.

The theme is the experience of the last ten years, and several speakers will share their experiences and draw lines back to 2004. It will also be dinner and pleasant conversations around the tables.
kongehuset.no - Gjestebud på Skaugum
Google Translation

I found this on twitter:
"David and Tony celebrated Thanksgiving with Håkon Magnus and Mette-Marit at Skaugum":
Instagram

Is it usual to celebrate Thanksgiving in Norway?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom