Haakon & Mette-Marit FAQ

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by andiemac@Jan 5th, 2004 - 12:45 pm
how did haakon and MM get to know each other ?
Common friends, from the Quart festival in Kristiansand (Mette-Marit's hometown.)

Originally posted by norwegianne+Jan 5th, 2004 - 1:22 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norwegianne @ Jan 5th, 2004 - 1:22 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-andiemac@Jan 5th, 2004 - 12:45 pm
how did haakon and MM get to know each other ?
Common friends, from the Quart festival in Kristiansand (Mette-Marit's hometown.) [/b][/quote]
I heard that they met for the first time in that festival in 1996, and they met again by chance in the same festival in 1999. Is it true?

As far as I know. I've heard that she was pregnant with Marius when they met for the first time.

the crown prince was named Haakon Magnus and used these two names for very long why did he drop magnus and where does the name come from was he named after anyone?

Josefine said:
the crown prince was named Haakon Magnus and used these two names for very long why did he drop magnus and where does the name come from was he named after anyone?
He dropped the last name when he turned 18, I believe. I don't know why.

He was named after King Haakon, (and the long line of other Håkon's in the Norse line of kings) but Queen Sonja's brother is also called Haakon, so I suppose it is a merging of two family names. Coincidentally his cousin on his father's side, Princess Ragnhild's only son, is also called Haakon.

Magnus is also a name from the Norse kings. Where the most impressive might have been Magnus Lagabøter (the Lawmaker.)

Pronouncing Mette-Marit's name

I don't want to start a whole thread on this, but since it concerns Mette-Marit, I thought I could post it here.
I just got back [like, 30 minutes ago >_<] from a week vacation at Walt Disney World in Florida. While there my family went to the Epcot park and had dinner in the Norwegian pavillion's restaurant, Akershus. We were waited on by a very lovely [and handsome ;)] young man named Espen who was from Kristiansand- which is where Mette-Marit is from. I asked him how to pronounce her name [I never have been sure of that, he told me to say something like "Met-teh Mehr-it"]. He asked me how I knew of her and I told him I was a big fan of royalty [and Norway, too, it's such a beautiful country]. He smiled and said that he used to work as a manager at a department store called HMS in Kristiansand, and that she used to come in there all the time before she met Haakon and he knew her [as a customer] very well. He said that she is "very tall!!!!" and gestured above his head, and since he was easily six feet tall I'm guessing that she must be something of a giantess! ;) He then went on to say that she is a very nice person, but she used to do something a little wierd- he had a co-worker who was very short- "something like your height" : points at me : [I'm 5'2- quite small] who used to wait on MM all the time. And he said there were shelves of sweaters that were kind of near the ceiling. Now, MM could have just reached up and grabbed them, but instead she asked the short girl to get them for her. "How strange, when she is so tall! She couldn't have just grabbed them herself? Ah, oh well. She is a nice girl," he said, and then he went back into the kitchen and got me a little Norwegian flag.
Highly irrelevant, I realize, but I thought it was a very cute story.

Crossposted to my Livejournal.

-Kara-

What a great story! She seems like a very nice, real person. You know I bet she asked that worker to get the clothes off the shelves b/c maybe she did not want to mess the display up or something. I know I get a little nervous touching things in stores.

suturegeisha said:
I asked him how to pronounce her name [I never have been sure of that, he told me to say something like "Met-teh Mehr-it"].
I'd actually have more of an ah sound on Marit, so it would be Met-teh- Mah-rit
But a sweet story.

Great story!! Is she really so tall?

norwegianne said:
I'd actually have more of an ah sound on Marit, so it would be Met-teh- Mah-rit
But a sweet story.
So would we!!! And we have a 2nd cousin called it, so we know it :D

But nice story!!!! It's always nice when you can talk about stuff like that with others :)

I know she was a single mother when she met Haakon, that she had been involved in the Oslo club scene, and that she was a waitress at that time. Oh, and that she was born in Kristiansand. But that's it, really! Can anyone provide a detailed bio of Norway's Crown Princess, or tell me where I can find one?

Tinika said:
I know she was a single mother when she met Haakon, that she had been involved in the Oslo club scene, and that she was a waitress at that time. Oh, and that she was born in Kristiansand. But that's it, really! Can anyone provide a detailed bio of Norway's Crown Princess, or tell me where I can find one?
From http://www.kongehuset.no/default.asp?lang=eng (Palace English Version)

Crown Princess Mette-Marit was born on 19 August 1973, the youngest child of Marit Tjessem and Sven Olav Bjarte Høiby. The engagement between His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon and Miss Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby was announced on 1 December 2000, and they married in Oslo Cathedral on 25 August 2001.
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Their daughter HRH Princess Ingrid Alexandra was born 21. January 2004.
[/font]

The Crown Princess grew up in a warm-hearted and harmonious family together with her sister and two older brothers in the southern part of Norway. Weekends and holidays were spent in the nearby valley of Setesdal and at the seaside, where she learned to be a good sailor. During her youth she spent a lot of time at the local youth club Sletteheia, where she was also an active leader. Crown Princess Mette-Marit is fond of sport and as a teenager she played a good deal of volleyball, where she also acted as referee and coach. After starting at Oddernes upper secondary school in Kristiansand, The Crown Princess spent six months at Wangaratta High School in Australia as an exchange student. On moving back to Norway, she attended Kristiansand Katedralskole, where she passed her final examinations in 1994. After a break from her studies, Crown Princess Mette-Marit attended Bjørknes Private School for a while, and then took examen philosophicum (the preliminary university examination) at Agder College. At present the Crown Princess is attending lectures at the faculties of arts and social sciences at the University of Oslo. Crown Princess Mette-Marit has one son, Marius.

Her first official appearance was at the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony at Oslo City Hall on 10 December 2000. Crown Princess Mette-Marit is interested in art and culture, especially literature and music. She also has a strong social commitment.

Mandy, thank you! I was wondering if there was a biography that was a bit less "formal" or "official", if you know what I mean...less sugar-coated.

I presume that there are dozens of biographies out there. You have the Hello Magazine profile which is slightly less sugar-coated:

"I've just been taken home in a taxi... by the crown prince," an excited Mette-Marit told her father in the summer of 1996. No royal pageantry or formality. Just two 20-somethings sharing a cab and savouring the first moments of falling in love.

But if scrutinised on a grand scale, as royal actions often are, that decidedly commonplace cab ride can perhaps serve as a metaphor for Norway's mould-breaking future king and queen.

Mette-Marit Tjessem Hoiby was born on August 19, 1973, the youngest child of Marit Tjessem, a bank officer, and Sven Olav Bjarte Hoiby, a journalist. The couple divorced in 1984. Mette-Marit and her three siblings grew up in the southern part of Norway and holidayed on the coast where the princess-to-be cultivated a love of sailing. A natural born leader and sportswoman, she took up volleyball in secondary school and later became a coach in the sport.

Mette-Marit spent six months studying in Australia before completing her final exams at Kristiansand Katedralskole in 1994. She took the preliminary university examination at Agder College, and later attended classes at the University of Oslo. She met the crown prince through mutual friends shortly after he returned from his studies at the University of California at Berkeley and soon the two staggered people by moving in together for months without even announcing an engagement.

Suddenly Mette-Marit, who was known to have moved in circles where drugs were readily available, and who had a three-year-old son, Marius, by a man convicted of drug possession, found her past under fierce scrutiny. And while nearly half of all Norwegian children are born out of wedlock and unmarried cohabitation is rapidly becoming the norm, many questioned the crown prince’s choice of partner.

When she and Haakon did get engaged some months after moving in together, Mette-Marit had to make radical adjustments before stepping out into the spotlight. Just on a superficial level, she had to look the part as she began to attend official functions, and one of her first trips was to New York to buy new clothes without the pressure of being photographed out shopping. "Before, I used to love shopping," she said, "but now it's just stressful. Sure, buying clothes is fantastic for most girls, but not so great for me. What has effectively happened is that all of a sudden I need to have a good wardrobe for my new role in life. And I certainly didn't have many ballgowns before I met Haakon," she added wrily.

A picture of the young woman curtseying to Queen Elizabeth showed Mette-Marit adapting gracefully to her new role. Her unassuming demeanour and the royal family's clear support began to swing public opinion, and Mette-Marit won praise for her courage a few days before her August 25, 2001, wedding when she made a public statement at a press conference. Visibly distressed, holding Haakon's hand for support, she confessed to the assembled reporters that she regretted her wild past.

The president of Norway's parliament, Kirsti Kolle Grondahl, suggested the following to the country's four million citizens: "I think it's wise for all of us to put this in the past and not let it tarnish her future." And for the most part the next generation has done just that, having easily fallen under the charm of the future queen of Norway.

On January 21, 2004 Mette-Marit gave birth to daughter Princess Ingrid Alexandra who becomes Norway's first ever female heir to the throne.

What were the circumstances of her meeting with Haakon? How long were they a couple before they moved in together?

I´ve noticed, that I don´t know much about Haakon, though I admire him deeply. He seems to be such a family-guy. Of course I know (and can easily find out) the stations on his way to the throne, but I wonder, what does/did Haakon privately...a few questions came to my mind:

-Who are Haakon´s closest friends in Norway? Are he and MM friends with other young families with children?
-Does Haakon like to spend time in bars and restaurants? Was he a "party prince",when he was younger?
-Does Haakon like to read books? And when yes, which ones?
-Does Haakon like to go to the movies or to watch TV?
-Which music does he like?
-Is Haakon a good cook? Or is his wife cooking or rather professional cooks?
-Which sports does Haakon actively (except skiing and boating)? Is he playing golf or tennis? Does he like to ride horses? Does he practice running, biking or swimming?

Lena said:
Who are Haakon´s closest friends in Norway? Are he and MM friends with other young families with children?
-Does Haakon like to spend time in bars and restaurants? Was he a "party prince",when he was younger?
-Does Haakon like to read books? And when yes, which ones?
-Does Haakon like to go to the movies or to watch TV?
-Which music does he like?
-Is Haakon a good cook? Or is his wife cooking or rather professional cooks?
-Which sports does Haakon actively (except skiing and boating)? Is he playing golf or tennis? Does he like to ride horses? Does he practice running, biking or swimming?

I can't answer all of your questions, but I know that CP Haakon is a huge music lover, I've read somewhere that he liked Moby, but I think he loves music in general. He meet CP Mette-Marit at the Quarts Festival (which is a big music festival - mostly rock). And for their wedding the government gave them a really cool CD cabinet full of CDs of all sorts.

CP Mette-Marit commented on his cooking once, that he makes the best Norwegian style meatballs (They are slightly bigger than the Swedish ones and more oval, and is served with gravy, potatoes and vegetables). But I think they share the cooking like modern couples do:) I doubt they have a professional cook to make their meals, the appartement they live in at Skaugum is designed to make them "selfsuffisient", so to speak.

For the rest, he still has some close friends from school and from the Navy, but I don't know their names (they obvioulsy are great friends because they never talk to the press). He hasn't commented on reading (as far as I know), but he is dyslexic, and other people I know with this doesn't read much, but this is just me guessing:)

Hope this helps a bit, and if I've been wrong somewhere, please do correct me!

Haakon has mentioned that he's a big fan of Red Hot Chili Peppers.

His hobbies... well, he used to be a really big fan of various extreme sports, though he's cut a bit down on that after he got married.

He was with a bunch of friends on a camping trip with skiing this weekend before the newest pregnancy was announced, so one could assume he likes camping, skiing and his friends.

Last edited:
Thank you, KikkiB and norwegianne! You helped me a lot :)

Mette-Marit's hair colour

I have just a question : what is the natural color of Mette Marit's hair ? Her roots are always so dark that I was wondering if she was a real blond ?

Here is some pictures of what I suppose is her natural colour prewedding, however as most blonds from that part of the country she comes from, she becomes naturally much blonder in the summer. Nowadays it is coloured too blond for my taste and also to seldom so you can often see her roots.

Attachments

• 121326_b.jpg
    121326_b.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 634
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,365
i also agree with larzen. she should die her hair more often as the roots are not really presentable :s

Larzen said:
Yet you never seem to have problem with Maximas roots;)

well, i guess that has to be with the opinion thing said everyday here. i just love maxima and i can't really notice her roots when i see her lovely smile, how people like her and her elegance and perfect combinated accesories and clothing :)

I know I sound like a newbie, but does Mette-marit's Son receive any titles even though Haakon is not his father?

Queen Malka said:
I know I sound like a newbie, but does Mette-marit's Son receive any titles even though Haakon is not his father?

No. Norway doesn't have a nobility, so there isn't really any titles to give.

Mette-Marit and Haakon's adress

Mette-Marit and Haakon's adress????

They live on Skagum in Asker i dont know very much about that. But the royal palace adress is
"Drammens veien 1"(i think it was that)

i think she doesnt have an adress by her own but if you write a letter addressed to her to the royal palace of oslo that should be fine. perhaps an informal thing would be to write her address of skaugum but i doubt many people do that.

there's a thread about royal official addresses of the palaces in the chit chat forum :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom