General News & Information about Haakon, Mette-Marit & Family 2: June 2020 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A reason for him not wearing a ring might be that it's hard to maintain good hand hygiene with them on.

Makes sense given covid. Just imagine the signet ring is something g special, no? Wondering the meaning.

Greetings from Mexico. I discussed it in another forum. Since March 2020 the prince has not worn a wedding ring, nor on the other hand, nor bracelets. I read that Princess Victoria of Sweden, for reasons of the pandemic, also removed her rings. It may be, this is the reason.

Greetings from Mexico. I discussed it in another forum. Since March 2020 the prince has not worn a wedding ring, nor on the other hand, nor bracelets. I read that Princess Victoria of Sweden, for reasons of the pandemic, also removed her rings. It may be, this is the reason.
In which forum? I don't remember saw it in spanish forums

Hmm, if so, I would think that it wouldn't be too complicated to acknowledge a skiing accident? So, either it isn't true or the court thinks they can get away with it because Mette-Marit hardly participates in royal activities, so no additional explanation for her absence is needed...

It is weird that the court wont comment.
Speedy recovery for Mette-Marit, its nice that she was able to go skiing

Too weird. Why the court don't say anything? How the media know? Who told them?

On which the shaman has commented „I miss you.“

The prince must have taken this week to be with his family. Not even the council of state is scheduled for this week.

https://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/n...erer-a-kutte-kronprinsesse-mette-marit-salutt

The Armed Forces is considering cutting Crown Princess Mette-Marit salute

Crown Princess Mette-Marit's birthday will no longer be marked with a salute if the Defense Staff on Friday adopts a number of amendments The Armed Forces 'joint services and the Armed Forces' command team have reviewed the scheme. The proposals for change will be discussed during a meeting with the Defense Staff on March 12, writes the Defense Forum. Among the proposals is to reduce the number of salutes to six. This means that it will only be saluted on the royal couple's birthdays and the Crown Prince's birthday, as well as 8 May, 17 May and 7 June.

https://www.abcnyheter.no/nyheter/n...erer-a-kutte-kronprinsesse-mette-marit-salutt

Crown Princess Mette-Marit's birthday will no longer be marked with a salute if the Defense Staff on Friday adopts a number of amendments The Armed Forces 'joint services and the Armed Forces' command team have reviewed the scheme. The proposals for change will be discussed during a meeting with the Defense Staff on March 12, writes the Defense Forum. Among the proposals is to reduce the number of salutes to six. This means that it will only be saluted on the royal couple's birthdays and the Crown Prince's birthday, as well as 8 May, 17 May and 7 June.

To me it remains a mystery why the Norwegians are bound to treat their crown princess as being of lesser value is she 'married-in' while the queen who also 'married-in' is treated comparably to her husband and son (in this case but for example also in the case of the opening of parliament).

To me it remains a mystery why the Norwegians are bound to treat their crown princess as being of lesser value is she 'married-in' while the queen who also 'married-in' is treated comparably to her husband and son (in this case but for example also in the case of the opening of parliament).

Would you argue the same for the Swedes? They are adopting a similar treatment, but taken even further so that Daniel will never receive the same honors as Silvia even when he is spouse to the monarch.

The Swedish Committee of the Constitution also sees that the flag days only apply to the birthday and name day of the Head of state and heir to the throne. This would, in turn, mean that, for example, Prince Daniel can not get a raised flag when he turns years.

https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/kungligt/ku-vill-begransa-anslaget-till-den-vaxande-kungafamiljen/

Would you argue the same for the Swedes? They are adopting a similar treatment, but taken even further so that Daniel will never receive the same honors as Silvia even when he is spouse to the monarch.

I don't know about the specific issue of flag days, but there is an obvious difference between Silvia and Daniel in the sense that Silvia is the Queen of Sweden (Sveriges Drottning) and styled Majesty, whereas Daniel, even when Victoria is Queen, will probably be only a Prince and a Royal Highness (at best, he will be given a title of Prince Consort like Prince Henrik of Denmark).

That is not a peculiarity of Sweden, but applies to all European kingdoms in their unequal treatment of make and female spouses of monarchs.

I don't know about the specific issue of flag days, but there is an obvious difference between Silvia and Daniel in the sense that Silvia is the Queen of Sweden (Sveriges Drottning) and styled Majesty, whereas Daniel, even when Victoria is Queen, will probably be only a Prince and a Royal Highness (at best, he will be given a title of Prince Consort like Prince Henrik of Denmark).

That is not a peculiarity of Sweden, but applies to all European kingdoms in their unequal treatment of make and female spouses of monarchs.
Without wanting to derail the focus of this thread to much from Mette-Marit the point with the proposed new Swedish law regulating the use, both official and private, of flags is that when the next monarch ascends to the throne the flag days will be limited to the monarch and the heir only. It has nothing to do with Daniel personally, his status, his gender or his titles.

Last edited:

No, I won't as these are different cases/treatments in my perspective. My concern is about the difference between the treatment of spouses between the royal couple and the crown princely couple - and not just about flag days being reserved for those but also about Mette Marit not being allowed to attend the opening of parliament.

If a difference is made in something like flag days it makes more sense to limit it only to the monarch and his/her heir than to the monarch, the spouse's monarch and the heir. If you want to limit certain activities to those on or in line to the throne (which for example is also done in certain meetings that CG and Victoria attend but not their spouses) that is one thing but quite different from including one spouse but not the other.

Last edited:
No, I won't as these are different cases/treatments in my perspective. My concern is about the difference between the treatment of spouses between the royal couple and the crown princely couple - and not just about flag days being reserved for those but also about Mette Marit not being allowed to attend the opening of parliament.

If a difference is made in something like flag days it makes more sense to limit it only to the monarch and his/her heir than to the monarch, the spouse's monarch and the heir. If you want to limit certain activities to those on or in line to the throne (which for example is also done in certain meetings that CG and Victoria attend but not their spouses) that is one thing but quite different from including one spouse but not the other.

Thank you for explaining your perspective. I know that the treatments are not the same, but my perspective was that the difference in treatment makes more sense in the Norwegian case, as Mette-Marit will be treated in the same way as Sonja is presently treated once her husband is the king.

I will continue the discussion about the Swedish case here.

Updated news:
The defense retains the Mette-Marit salute

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/qA4jyO/forsvaret-beholder-mette-marit-salutten

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit took part in the TV show „The party after the lent 2021“, marking the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan. They participated in their very first iftar, the meal that breaks the fast after sunset:

** nrk: Festen etter fasten 2021 **

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit took part in the TV show „The party after the lent 2021“, marking the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan. They participated in their very first iftar, the meal that breaks the fast after sunset:

** nrk: Festen etter fasten 2021 **

Or is it just me or is this couple getting more and more televised? Ramadan, program on Norway-california, music awards, among others ...

My guess is that they are slowly settling into a position as the next King&Queen. The Kings health is clearly getting worse, though I hope he will be around for a long time. But I think it is a time of transition.

Haakon and Mette-Marit should have made a visit to Sweden in May 2020, but it was postponed due to the Covid19 pandemic. The planning of the visit is going on.

Norwegian Ambassador to Sweden Christian Syse told yesterday at an event in Arntorp that he continued from there to Gothenburg to plan future visit by the Norwegian Crown Prince couple Haakon and Mette-Marit.
- The plan is that they, together with Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, will visit both Gothenburg and Stockholm.
Norska Leröy ger 50 nya jobb i Kungälv _ Kungälvs-Posten

Back
Top Bottom