General News & Information about Haakon, Mette-Marit & Family 2: June 2020 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm interesting. I remember in the UK Prince William travelling on a ferry to Ireland and being refused admission to a VIP area because it was full. I'm not sure how it would have gone down if the RF / Royal security insisted on perks. Hard to compare but IMO I don't think its just high standards in Norway and the same would be true here in the UK.
Each country is different of course, from what I have read for example I think not much would be said in Denmark - didn't Fred drive over a bridge closed for safety reasons without too much come back?

In July, the crown princely family was criticized by commentators for demanding special treatment after the family attended a festival and their bodyguards, citing "security" reasons, ordered that Princess Ingrid Alexandra (age 19) and Prince Sverre Magnus (age 17) be admitted into an area reserved for guests aged 20 and over (the age limit is apparently intended as a safeguard against alcohol being served to underage guests).

The Palace stood by their actions, saying it was up to the royal security officers to make judgments about necessary measures.

https://www.dagbladet.no/kjendis/om-festivalhendelsen-ganske-uakseptabelt/79911808

In my opinion the incident illustrates the high standards of behavior expected of the royal family in Norway. In many other monarchies, this sort of special treatment would probably be viewed as routine.

It is indeed required and the RF tried hard to be considered equal.
The tranparency in Sweden might be even " worse", and Norwegians really love their RF but special treatment is never a good choice.
But since terror threats have reached the nation which considered itself a safe haven until Breivik , the RF needs to catch up. Of course compared to Jordan f.e., Olav&fam. live like Mr. Smith&family in your neighbourhood. :whistling:

I wish they will release a new official portrait...

Last edited by a moderator:
I want a gala portraits!!

A thank-you message including some more new private photos has been released this evening:

Thank you very much for all the nice and heartwarming greetings on Crown Princess Mette-Marit's 50th birthday ?

The photos were taken this summer by Prince Sverre Magnus.

** instagram post **

I love that the fellow royal courts have issued congratulations to the Crown Princes!

I am sorry but Prince Sverre Magnus' photos are not good. The last one is downright unflattering! I would never want such a photo published of me.
I hope we get gorgeous formal official photos from the court for this momentus birthday.

I don't mind those casual photos, but I hope the third round of new photo (maybe on the wedding anniversary?) would be a formal portrait with uniform, gown and tiara.

Update on the crown princess health I know she was diagnosed with some lung disease a while back

Crown Princess Mette-Marit is on sick leave from 13 September
Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mette-Marit is on sick leave from 13 September on the advice of her doctor. The Crown Princess is initially on sick leave for two weeks, but this period may be extended.

The Crown Princess will therefore not be able to carry out the planned visit with the King and Queen and the Crown Prince to Stockholm to mark His Majesty King Carl Gustaf's regency anniversary this coming weekend.

Unfortunately, the Crown Princess cannot participate in a county trip to Vestland later this month, but the Crown Prince will carry out the visit as planned.

The Crown Princess has pulmonary fibrosis, which periodically limits the performance of her official programme.
https://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=222959&sek=112472

I really hope there will be soon a remedy for this terrible illness

I wonder how she manages to live with so much suffering. I wish there was a cure to her illness

new biography on Haakon. He gives insights into his life
https://www.bokklubben.no/biografie...onarving-haakon/produkt.do?produktId=99173269

Reviews, pics, quotes

Bunte online, the German tabloid, cites from Haakon's new book: "History of a Throne Heir"...
https://www.bunte.de/royals/royals-...-der-tag-an-dem-er-weinend-zusammenbrach.html

So, when the story of Mette-Marit And Haakon as a love irssue broke, the popularity of the Norwegian Monarchy fell to an absolute low. And Haakon doubted himself and thought, he was selfish, the new book reports. But very soon it was clear to him, that he would stick together with Mette.

At october 16th 2000 the court gave a press conference to calm down to rumours about the couple, but the situation heated up: The headlines were, that the Crown Prince was now engaged. At this day Haakon had a nervous breakdown. He went into an empty office room, where he collapsed and cried bitter tears.

Mette and Haakon came after this to the conclusion, to continue with their lifes as nothing had happend. They allowed the journalists to follow them everywhere, what led partly to negative press to: They were alledgedly dressed shaby and so on...

The criticism did not stop. And three day before the wedding they were forced to give a press conference to confront ruours about Mette-Marit's life before Haakon. At this occasion Mette was that nervous, that she throw up shortly before the press meeting.

Happy End: Today the Norwegian Monarchy is one of the most popular in the whole wide world. And this because of Princess Mette-Marit too.

https://kommunikasjon.ntb.no/presse...serie?publisherId=13318709&releaseId=17964805

Close up of the crown prince couple in the new TV 2 series

I can't wait to see abroad this series
when is this coming out ? wondering if the UK will be able to see it
It premiered on TV2 on November 18, but you must have a subscription to watch it.

It's a 5-episode documentary series that follows the CP-Couple during their 50th birthday trips around Norway this year, which also includes clips of Haakon and MM visiting ordinary people's homes, plus interviews with them at Skaugum.
It's the first time a film crew has been allowed to have such close access to them, so it's clear that the court is in full swing with operation ''prepare the nation for the future King and Queen.''
And surprise, surprise, in the two episodes that have aired so far, there has been no room for criticism at all! (Not that there's anything to criticize them for at the moment anyway.)

CP Haakon was his friendly, nerdy, intellectual and folksy self (a very good combination I think).
CP MM was her friendly, emotional and super-folksy self, and her extremely good people skills were again visible for everyone to see!
And as she herself has said many times, she LOVES meeting people, especially those who are struggling.

And more generally speaking (not so much related to this series), the love and affection between them seems to be as strong as ever. I mean, they are still holding hands, still laughing at each other in a lovable way, and still looking at each other in a way that just oozes LOVE!
Another thing to mention is how nicely they still talk about each other in interviews (MM has even called Haakon the world's best husband).

Episode 1:
VG has written a pretty good article (link) about some of the stuff the CP-Couple talked about in the first episode, so no need for a summary from me. Google-translation (link).
Realy worth a read BTW, and no need for me to translate qoutes since google is verry good now!

Episode 2:
Another article from VG (link). Google translation (link).
Also really worth a read.

Last edited:
:previous:

Episode 3:
In this episode (which airs on TV2 this evening), the CP-Couple are talking about mental health (an issue MM has worked on since she became Crown Princess in 2001), Ari's death and MM's health.

Read more about it in this VG-article (link). Google translation (link).

And in this TV2-article (link). Google translation (link).

Episode 4:
In this episode (which airs on TV2 this evening), the CP-Couple are, among other things, talking more about Mette-Marits' health.

Read more about it in this TV2-article (link). Google translation (link).

Episode 2:
Another article from VG (link). Google translation (link).
Also really worth a read.

Interesting opinion from the crown princess that her generation was allowed more "to be young" but the current generation of young people are more smart/sensible than they were.

I don't quite understand why unlike his wife, Crown Prince Haakon dislikes saying they met at Quart Festival and prefers to say they met through mutual friends. Does it have to do with the reputation of that music festival?

He's just being funny! And nothing (I think) to do with the Quart Festival, which BTW went bankrupt back in 2008.

--------------------

The last episode of the documentary series airs on TV2 this evening and will give us behind-the-scenes clips from the CP-Couple's backyard party at the palace and how it was planned. Will post articles if there are any.

Back
Top Bottom