Discussion about Mette-Marit's approach to fashion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I had that kind of a weight problem! I think she always looks thin (not as thin as Letizia). But I wish MM would wear more color and less black.

I do not see it badly absolutely,it does not have because to be as thin as the others (is seen much more it healthful that other princess)!!!!!!!!

Black and dark blue are very much in fashion now, their designers follow the trend that s all

I remember when MM came to the States, and wow did she act and look stylish! She really came into her own on that trip and I was awfully glad for her especially b/c of all the negative press she'd been receiving before her marriage- she was even better at her next overseas event by herself-when she lit the London christmas tree (it was a Norwegian Pine tree). She even looked chic, stylish and happy when she lived in London, when she had gained a little of weight (attributed to quitting cigarettes). Then, after Ingrid Alexandra was born maybe late summer 2004 one day poof!!! it all disappeared and she started dressing dowdily and w/ all these dark colours. I think maybe having been a naturally slim girl it is hard for her to find the right fitting clothes now that she has matured into her 30's and has gained some extra weight. I hope she snaps out of it fires her stylist and gets a new one with some fashion sense and also someone who knows her and can work w/ her style and comfort level!

ortino said:
I remember when MM came to the States, and wow did she act and look stylish! She really came into her own on that trip and I was awfully glad for her especially b/c of all the negative press she'd been receiving before her marriage- she was even better at her next overseas event by herself-when she lit the London christmas tree (it was a Norwegian Pine tree). She even looked chic, stylish and happy when she lived in London, when she had gained a little of weight (attributed to quitting cigarettes). Then, after Ingrid Alexandra was born maybe late summer 2004 one day poof!!! it all disappeared and she started dressing dowdily and w/ all these dark colours. I think maybe having been a naturally slim girl it is hard for her to find the right fitting clothes now that she has matured into her 30's and has gained some extra weight. I hope she snaps out of it fires her stylist and gets a new one with some fashion sense and also someone who knows her and can work w/ her style and comfort level!

Must say I total agree with you about what you said about MM
does any one have any pictures of when she lit the christmas tree in london???

Hi SM1939-I am glad you agree w/ me!- I found a couple of pictures but I just got a mac and don't know how to cut & paste yet. You'll find some pics in the first Haakon and Mette-Marit pic thread maybe second page-Alexandria posted it and a couple of other ones under H & MM FAQ and and MM pic thread. Sorry I can't help more!

Side 2 has a special on Mette-Marits fashions in 2006 and they write her favourite colours are red, white and blue, and ofcourse black;) , lots and lots og big unwatermarked pictures

their favourite outfits is this which I personally find highly unflattering

there is also a poll on which colour she looks best in, from top to bottom Red-white-blue-pink-purpel-green-grey-black&white-beige. (blue is in the leed)

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/mote/article846522.ece

Personally i think her best moments where in Thailand and the Coronation events and the absolute worst was the christening of Christian and Sverre as well as the swedish birthday which was all dark and frumpy.

Larzen said:
Side 2 has a special on Mette-Marits fashions in 2006 and they write her favourite colours are red, white and blue, and ofcourse black;) , lots and lots og big unwatermarked pictures

their favourite outfits is this which I personally find highly unflattering

there is also a poll on which colour she looks best in, from top to bottom Red-white-blue-pink-purpel-green-grey-black&white-beige. (blue is in the leed)

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/mote/article846522.ece

Thank you very much for posting this Larzen, the pictures they have are wonderful. :flowers:
I am not the fan of their choice of outfit as well, the pants are ok but I don't like the upper part.

Personally I think Mette-Marit looks absolutely lovely in pink and blue (light blue). Black suits her, but not when she wears it all the time.

Last edited:
Avalon said:
Thank you very much for posting this Larzen, the pictures they have are wonderful, though mostly seen. :flowers:
I am not the fan of their choice as well, the pants are ok but I don't like the upper part.

Personally I think Mette-Marit looks absolutely lovely in pink and blue (light blue). Black suits her, but not when she wears it all the time.
It's mostly the cut of her jackets I've got a problem with - a lot of the time they're cut in a style that I recognize from my 85 year old grandmother - meant to cover and not show-off.

My favorite outfits from Mette-Marit in the article are
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/slideshow/112681/0.jpg
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/slideshow/112681/11.jpg
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/slideshow/112681/16.jpg
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/slideshow/112681/24.jpg
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/slideshow/112681/26.jpg
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/slideshow/112681/39.jpg
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/slideshow/112681/64.jpg

The article really did a nice job summing up Mette-Marit's fashions this past year. One outfit that I'm surprised wasn't shown was her black one shoulder dress from the coronation celebrations. I loved that gown! I also thought it was weird that the article put in like 3 photos from London in 2005.

Thank you Kwanfan for the pictures. Mette-Marit is a woman who can wear a wide variety of colors. The first picture shows Mette-Marit wearing a coat that is remarkably similar to one Princess Maxima wore earlier this fall.

Does Mette-Marit not have a hairstyle thread like other princesses? I looked but couldn't find one? Just wanted to make a few comments about her hair and I thought it would be better to discuss it there.

Aurora810 said:
Does Mette-Marit not have a hairstyle thread like other princesses? I looked but couldn't find one? Just wanted to make a few comments about her hair and I thought it would be better to discuss it there.

her hair could be done better or in different styles ever so many events. but when it is open it is always neat. You may be able to discuss it in the following thread
Crown Princess Mette-Marit's Hair Styles

Last edited:
dazzling said:
her hair could be done better or in different styles ever so many events. but when it is open it is always neat. You may be able to discuss it in the following thread
Crown Princess Mette-Marit's Hair Styles

Thank you! I'm not sure how I missed it. Maybe I wasn't specific enough when I searched for it.

Yes, I agree her hair is always very neat. It looks very healthy too. No fly aways either!

Smilla said:
Agreed, but could she please stop dressing like her own greatgrandma!:mad:

I think she needs a stylist or a new stylist if she already has one. I've also noticed she always seems to wear that same cut of jacket as displayed above. She even wore a pink version while she was pregnant once. It's just not flattering, totally the wrong cut for her. She also needs help with incorporating contrasting colors too much of the same/similar color with each outfit.

I could be way off here but bare with me. It seems that Mette-Marit just doesn't know her own shape very well. Some people just don't know how to dress the shape they've been given. When I see pics of MM it always seems that she's dressed in clothes that are a little too big for her or totally the wrong style for her. Which only leads to pregnancy rumors.

I reallly don't want to be too hard on her that's certainly not my intent. It's got to be difficult to be a princess and have so many expectations to live with although it comes with the title. Anyways, I think she definitely needs someone to politely make some suggestions to her.

M-M´s hairstyle

Can´t stand her hair any more! Wonder whether she will alter it before she becomes 50 or so. She turns out to become a second princess Anne.

I had on another royal message board that Mette-Marit was quoted as stating she prefers dark colors. I envy her because she is able to wear a variety of colors which is something I'm not able to. She looks fantastic in pastels.:)

Katrianna said:
I had on another royal message board that Mette-Marit was quoted as stating she prefers dark colors. I envy her because she is able to wear a variety of colors which is something I'm not able to. She looks fantastic in pastels.:)

i totally agree katrianna. i think pastels really suit her, perhaps pink is one of the best ones on her.

Might be best to answer this here.

I admire Mette-Marit for the good and partly unusal causes she supports and for her humanitarian engagement which gives her kind of an own profile. But then her looks ... :eek: What a mess! She has this wonderful blonde hair and does nothing with it ... and I can't stand all this black stuff on her any longer! That's other peoples' wardrobe for a funeral and she uses it for every day events! Some colour and a hairstylist, please!!!

It's not so much that she uses black, because honestly, black is one thing she does look good in (unlike red) along with pastels, but the cut of her clothes, in my opinion.

A lot of the time, her clothes seem to not fit properly in one way or another - too big jacket, too short sleves, etc. and it seems to me that this might be a bigger problem fashion-wise than wearing black. She ends up looking dowdy. (I notice I've compared her jackets to something my grandmother would wear)

And, as I've said a lot of times, she can look really excellent when she puts her mind to it. I'm just not sure following the fashions to the extent she is, is a good way for her. She isn't model-thin, or petite - and I don't think she should be, but she needs to come around to dressing for her figure instead of trying for clothes that looks like she's borrowed them from someone else.

Might be best to answer this here.

It's not so much that she uses black, because honestly, black is one thing she does look good in (unlike red) along with pastels, but the cut of her clothes, in my opinion.

A lot of the time, her clothes seem to not fit properly in one way or another - too big jacket, too short sleves, etc. and it seems to me that this might be a bigger problem fashion-wise than wearing black. She ends up looking dowdy. (I notice I've compared her jackets to something my grandmother would wear)

And, as I've said a lot of times, she can look really excellent when she puts her mind to it. I'm just not sure following the fashions to the extent she is, is a good way for her. She isn't model-thin, or petite - and I don't think she should be, but she needs to come around to dressing for her figure instead of trying for clothes that looks like she's borrowed them from someone else.
Thanks norwegianne :flowers: I did not know that this thread existed. I don't mind black either but very often MM is dressed in black completely, clothes, stockings etc. Really horrible, like a great grandmother of the victorian age. I agree that very often her outfits are not fitted very well and the colour does not help - like a black hole, you look at her but don't see any shape or style of what she's wearing. Last summer, eg during one of her solo trips (can't recall where she went) she looked really fashionable and stylish and proved that you don't have to be model-thin to look good - unfortunately now she's back to bad old frumpy habits, both clothes- and hair wise.

I dont mind seeing MM in dark cloths, but she tends to go to black & greys, yes they do suit her but after a while the cloths in same color tend to look alike. If she likes dark colors, than every shade of color has a dark shade, dark green, navy, burgendy etc.
I think with MM, she doenst try or its she just doesnt have inerest in fashion. Most of her outfits are shapless or cant get a button or two closed on her jackets. She also goes for alot of solid colors. With her height & body shape she can do much better imo. Maybe she doesnt have the right people advising her.

Ive seen her in color, white, red, a few prints which looked lovely on her, also her evening dresses are mostly colored which look great. Her hair needs a new look, its been the same for several years now, its either shorter or abit longer.

If I were Haakon, I would be upset that my wife keeps dressing like a widow.

Her style does seem to be improving, but I wish she would wear more classic looking clothes that are not incredibly plain. Also, her hat choices are not what I would pick for her. She can be so elegant when she wants to be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom