Daughter for Haakon and Mette-Marit January 21, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

didem

Aristocracy
City
London
Country
United Kingdom
:heart: happy parents Mette-Marit and Hakoon :heart:

A princess is born
A daughter was born to Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit at 9:13 am on Wednesday. Both mother and child were well. The crown princess checked into the maternity ward at Norway's Rikshospitalet University Hospital at about 4 am. The child, their first together, will become second in line to the throne, after Crown Prince Haakon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, born at 9:14 AM CET on January 21, 2004.

Congrats ;) The tv-channels are in it big now. Cannons will probably fire at 12 o'clock, if they can manage it. The bells in Oslo Rådhus will also play "royal music"

In my excitement, I forgot to say, Congratulations Mette-Marit and Haakon.

Originally posted by engelkristall@Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:37 am
i hope for the baby that her parents will give her a nice name....please not Ingeborg!! :rolleyes:
Or Ragnhild (which is what I was hearing earlier in the week). But that's just my personal opinion. If it is a popular in Norway, so be it. I'm just so happy for the parents and for Nowregians.

Sean. ~

:heart: Congratulations Mette-Marit and Haakon
21 January 2004
09:13 :heart:

Good luck little princess

This early morning Little Princess was born Norway's Rikshospitalet University Hospital

http://www.rikshospitalet.no

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,191
I meant she had a short Labor. But that's to be expected with it being her second child.

Congratulations to the happy family. :flower:

I hope to see the little princess' picture soon!

Originally posted by CD.@Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:53 am
I meant she had a short Labor. But that's to be expected with it being her second child.
That's what I thought you meant, but wasn't sure because of the "..."

Sean

So I was right. I mean I was told the right information. Yes. Anyway, brava to Mette-Marit. I know I couldn't have done it.

"Morsomt. Dette er historisk og noe helt nytt, sier Eva Nomeland som oppsøkte VG Nett på Rikshospitalet. "

Humorous. This is historic and utterly new or novel says Eva Nomeland for VG at the hospital.

Originally posted by Sean.~+Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:45 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sean.~ @ Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:45 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-engelkristall@Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:37 am
i hope for the baby that her parents will give her a nice name....please not Ingeborg!! :rolleyes:
Or Ragnhild (which is what I was hearing earlier in the week). But that's just my personal opinion. If it is a popular in Norway, so be it. I'm just so happy for the parents and for Nowregians.

Sean. ~ [/b][/quote]
Sean ~ How is that name pronounced in the US? Something which sounds like "Raaaanhild" with a silent "g"? She has an aunt (by marriage) who has that name. Any other names being bandied about, Sean ? I hope .. I hope .. I hope ??

Elizajane

Congratulations Mette-Marit and Haakon

and to Norway

its time for me to go to school
so i hope you all keep posting and there will be a lot to read when i come home

I would like the name
Princess Josefina
then
Crown Princess Josefina
and in the end
Queen Josefina Of Norway

Well, it's like the future head of states are Queens!

We have Princess Aiko if ever the Constitution will be changed that will allow her to be the crown princess of Japan. Then we have Princess Elisabeth of Belgium and Princess Anna-Catharina of Netherlands. We also have Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden. And a newly born one of Norway!!!

I am so happy for the Crown Prince ,Crown Princess and to all the members of the Royal Family. Cheers also to all Norweigans.. ;)

Originally posted by Elizajane@Jan 21st, 2004 - 5:00 am

Sean ~ How is that name pronounced in the US? Something which sounds like "Raaaanhild" with a silent "g"? She has an aunt (by marriage) who has that name. Any other names being bandied about, Sean ? I hope .. I hope .. I hope ??

Elizajane
From my post in the "Name Haakon & Mette-Marit's baby"

I know that during the war, when Crown Princess Märtha and her children were in the States Princess Ragnhild was nicknamed Running Hill, because her name was so difficult for American children to pronounce... 

The a is longer than the typical american a , and the gn sound is soft, slightly similar to the soung English has in the end of pang, and hild is pronounced like in Hilda.

/ra:gnhIld/ Some Norwegian roll their r's while others don't, so that's an individual issue. The -d in the end might also be dropped. 

The crown prince will meet the press in the National Hospital in a couple of hours, reports the Palace.

List of all of the Norwegian Queens:

http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=209690

Here's a little history about the last Queen regent:

In 1368-70 Valdemar Atterdag had gained courage enough to challenge the Hanseatic League. Denmark tried to master the southwestern Baltic and end the Hansa's economic control there. But instead the League was united (the Cologne-federation) and decided to raise an armed force that then defeated the Danes decisively. The league then tried to dominate Denmark by means of a 15 year's contracted possession of castles and towns along Öresund.

After Valdemar Atterdag's death his five years old grandson Olav is elected King of Denmark - the alternative would have been the nephew of King Albrecht supported by the German emperor. But the emperor died. Olav's father was King Håkon of Norway, but the Danish realm is in the hands of his mother, Queen Margrete of Norway, the daughter of Valdemar Atterdag, who wasn't on speaking terms with her husband the king.

When King Håkon died his son Olav was still under age, only nine years old, and the queen ruled over both Norway and Denmark. The King Olav died however also (at the age of seventeen) and the son-son of the Swedish King Albrecht of Mecklenburg was closest to the throne.

The Danish nobility did however prefer the Norwegian queen for the German king and appointed her to regent with support of the Thing in Lund. Then the Norwegians elected her to regent, and finally the Swedish State Council and aristocracy chose to support her against King Albrecht in Sweden, who was beaten in a battle with Queen Margrete and together with his son Erik captured and imprisoned. (1395 he was rescued through Mecklenburg's war against the queen.)

Finally Bugislav, the nephew of Queen Margrete, is elected king (known as Erik of Pomerania) by the Norwegian state council with the queen as regent until he comes to age; then he is elected king in province after province of Denmark (1387) and so also by the Swedish state council (1389). Thereby the union was made legitimate, and in contrast to earlier occasions when one king ruled over two Scandinavian countries, this came to last for a long time.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 21st, 2004 - 4:53 am
Dagny is a name I like but it's not  regal. Yes, I am told that it may be easier the second time. Unless there was a need for a c-section or something. Already the papers are making their magic.

Dear Dennism,

Long time ago, when this "naming of the baby" began, I remember reading that one of the posters , named Rachel, submitted the name of "Dagmar". When I read that, an "old memory core" came to life ~ I remember seeing a "Dagmar" who won a brass medal for "ice-skating" and I think she was from Norway. I also remember saying, "What do they call that girl ?? ~ Daggy ?? A coincidence? It's gotta be! Congratulations, Mette-Marit and Haakon. I hope your new baby is in excellent health ~ along with the mother. I think that Haakon needs a "breather" about now. :heart:

Elizajane

På vegne av regjeringen har jeg den store glede å gratulere kronprins Haakon og kronprinsesse Mette-Marit med en datter, sier statsminister Kjell Magne Bondevik.

- Vi gratulerer kong Harald og dronning Sonja med et nytt barnebarn og folket med en ny tronarving. Fødselen er en historisk begivenhet, siden det er første gang en datter av Norges kronprinspar blir født som tronarving. Grunnlovens paragraf 6 ble i 1990 endret slik at begge kjønn nå har lik arverett til Norges trone. Barnet som nå er født, går derfor inn som nummer to i arverekken - etter sin far kronprinsen, understreker Bondevik.

Han sender varme hilsener til kongefamilien.

- Vi sender våre varmeste hilsener til foreldre og barn, og ønsker dem alt godt.

Prime minister congratulates the Crown Prince and Crown Princess. Congratulates Harald and Sonja on the birth. Historic moment and all for a daughter to be born especially with the passing of clause 6 which allows the first born of either gender to become ruler. The baby is now second in line to the throne after her father. Sends out warmest wishes to the parents and the baby and wishes for them nothing but good things.

The prime minister's name means farmer. Interesting.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 21st, 2004 - 5:14 am
The prime minister's name means farmer. Interesting.
Actually it means farmer bay, but close.

Farmer bay? A bay by a farm?

I can't get the video on NRK.no to work. I click on register and it goes to the blank green screen. What's going on?

Aftenposten chimes in on names:

Although acting regent Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit have decided what their newborn daughter shall be called, the announcement of this detail is also bound by protocol. A cabinet meeting is the required setting, and most likely an extraordinary gathering will take place on Thursday.

"We believe it will be Thursday," said information chief Oeivind Oestang at the prime minister's office on Wednesday.

Speculation about the child's name had raged before the birth. Traditionally royal babies receive many first names, and those with historical connections are often preferred.

Ingeborg, Ragnhild and Ingrid have been mentioned as hot candidates as first names, with Astrid, Martha, and perhaps even the Queen's name Sonja, as possibilities to at least come in as middle names.

Names from the days of Swedish monarchs like Louise, Sofie and Josephine are also relative favorites, at least as middle names.

There is no tradition for taking a name from the crown princess' family, and one of the hot topics of royal baby conversation is whether the modern pair will break this unwritten rule.

Great. I missed nearly an hour of TV coverage because the site doesn't work with my Netscape. But now I find out that it works with IE. :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

Well, as Haakon is the name of the Queen's brother as well as the King's grandfather it has been done before. If you should follow that, maybe Kristin would be a possible choice for name? It is a traditional royal name, and it's also the name of the Crown Princess' sister.

Or we could wait until tomorrow and see.

How traditional is it? There's been only 1 Norwegian queen with that name and she was queen for 3 years. There's been a Christine but she was German.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom