Crown Princess Mette-Marit on "Literature journey": 2013, 2015 - 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairy tale

Heir Apparent
City
B.
Country
Germany
Crown Princess Mette-Marit will undertake a journey with the Royal Carriage from Bodo to Værnes on October 15-16, 2013. The Crown Princess calls the journey "Litteraturtoget" ("Literature train" or "Literature journey" - maybe someone finds a better English expression).
The goal is to create meetings with people about the value of literature and reading along for the ride. This way, Crown Princess Mette-Marit also wants to share some of her favorite literature with the public.

There will be stops at stations Bodø, Fauske, Rognan, Mosjøen, Snåsa, Steinkjer and Stjørdal.
The final program at each station is not set yet.
kongehuset.no - En litterær togreise
Google Translation

This sounds very interesting. It's known that CP Mette-Marit loves literature and to read books, she shares poems on twitter etc. I think it's a great idea to go around the country to meet people and talk about literature, a bit like a rolling book club ;)

Sounds like a good programm, I hope it goes well! I remember that CP Mette-Marit often talks or tweets about her favourite books. She seems like an avid reader, I am curious what kind of books she will present and how the "literature train" is perceived by the Norwegian public!
Talking about the "rolling book club" - maybe some people will be interested to know that in the rural areas of Austria we have buses filled with many books that travel from village to village to make sure that even people far away from cities with public libraries have easy access to literature. The books (or CDs and DVDs) can be lent like in any library,the buses are visiting regularly. It´s a very simple but sucessful idea, I do not know if something similar exists in other countries.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good programm, I hope it goes well! I remember that CP Mette-Marit often talks or tweets about her favourite books. She seems like an avid reader, I am curious what kind of books she will present and how the "literature train" is perceived by the Norwegian public!
Talking about the "rolling book club" - maybe some people will be interested to know that in the rural areas of Austria we have buses filled with many books that travel from village to village to make sure that even people far away from cities with public libraries have easy access to literature. The books (or CDs and DVDs) can be lent like in any library,the buses are visiting regularly. It´s a very simple but sucessful idea, I do not know if something similar exists in other countries.

I saw a documentfilm about Lapland and there is also a rolling library. I think it is a very good idea, where people live very far away from eachother and also from cities.
I am also curious, what MM's favorite books are...

She will travel with the royal train, if I understood correctly.
Norwegian Royal Train - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"...The set contains a main sleeping compartment with dressing room and adjoining bathroom, two guest compartments, guest bathroom, kitchen, guard compartments and a combined dining and conference room..."
I am surprised, that so many rooms are in this train, it seems not so big in the picture.

I didn't find any other photos about the Norwegian Royal Train, but I found this article with pictures about the British Royal Train, so we can imagine that the norwegian train can be similar to the british.
http://royaltyonline.blogspot.hu/2010/09/prince-charles-gives-public-rare.html

Last edited:
I assume also this program is cancelled... :(

Yes, that's a pity. But I'm sure she will do it next year!

Maybe someone can change the title of the thread with the right (new) dates?

Today, CP Mette-Marit had a meeting about the Literature journey. She tweeted a picture (she's not in the picture as she took it herself): https://twitter.com/CrownPrincessMM/status/444159219005403137 ("Thank you for fine contributions to #literature train @bokdama @Kvalshaug & @estermoe I can not wait!")

Press release http://www.kongehuset.no/artikkel.html?tid=120160
Google Translation

Press program http://www.kongehuset.no/binfil/download2.php?tid=120479
Google Translation

and the program http://www.kongehuset.no/binfil/download2.php?tid=120185
Google Translation

1. April
Bodø, 8am - Theme: Purpose of journey, literary significance
Fauske, 9.20 - Theme: Children's literature
Rognan, 10.35 - Theme: Young People - To discover themselves
Mo i Rana, 13.55 - Theme: Love
Mosjøen, 17.35 - Southern Sami language and literature + Conversation with the Crown Princess and 3 "twitter litterati"

2. April
Snåsa, 10.10 - Theme: literature as taboo-breaker. It is difficult to talk about
Steinkjer, 11.40 - Theme: "My Books" - about favorite books
Stjørdal, 14.20 - Theme: Shakespeare - "Language Master"

This is a wonderful piece of youth literature - A. Lindgren was such an artist, full of intuition and wisdom!

Is this going to be a yearly event (She had this event also last year 2013)? Who chooses the cities and is MM a big reader? I would suppose she was if she is on such journeys.

Is this going to be a yearly event (She had this event also last year 2013)? Who chooses the cities and is MM a big reader? I would suppose she was if she is on such journeys.

I believe last year it was cancelled due to her health
From the pictures MM has twitted, I guess she does like to read

interesting intervention by MM, very unexpected that she opened up so much. here's some translated sections of her speech on her strained relationship with her dad, and how reading changed her.

"One of the most difficult issues in my life is my relationship with my father and relationship with death, like something inside me was shattered and a hole opened in my chest. It was winter, we were in a cabin and when I left to go skiing, it was as if the wind blowing through me ".
"When my father died, there were many things I could not say, many did not understand and that reproached me. Knausgård wrote about his father, but I felt that it did on mine." "From small I felt there was always something I had to hide, because none of my friends knew my father was an alcoholic. Believe the joy I've had to be able to disappear into the world of books he was strengthened by that. Literature is important to understand the most important things in our lives, making us more vulnerable, which makes us take with shame.

Back
Top Bottom