Crown Prince Haakon's official visit to Tonga, Fiji and Samoa: April 5-11, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited by a moderator:

Haakon has arrived in Nuku'alofa, Tonga, today, April 5, got a beautiful necklace by ten-year-old Princess Melenaite Tupoumoheofo Tu'ipelehake and already met King Tupou VI.. Development Minister Dag-Inge Ulstein can be seen on pic 3:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Princess Melenaite is whose child?

On 3rd photo: who is this man on the right side?

A Video from the day 2 yesterday in Tonga as Crown Prince Haakon visit to Liku’alofa Beach Resort, Kanokupolu and attend at the Reception hosted by Prince Ata and Prince Tu'ipelehake.

A few more from Samoa
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=62da769d64534a8eb9819511aabadf42&oe=5D456C36
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=5ee1cae9e70ae0545992dd08a9851128&oe=5D486E7E
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=d33cf102c859a32d2733f0cabe59c3aa&oe=5D474EF8
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3w8Vm8XkAA8ona.jpg

Following his courtesy visit with the Head of State, Crown Prince Haakon and delegation visited the Vaisigano Bridge Project and Wall, as well as the Moata’a Mangroves, to see first-hand the effects of climate change and mitigation efforts in place at community-level
https://www.facebook.com/samoagovt/photos/pcb.2337429559621386/2337428769621465/?type=3&theater

Following his courtesy visit with the Head of State, Crown Prince Haakon and delegation visited the Vaisigano Bridge Project and Wall, as well as the Moata’a Mangroves, to see first-hand the effects of climate change and mitigation efforts in place at community-level
https://www.facebook.com/samoagovt/photos/pcb.2337429559621386/2337428769621465/?type=3&theater
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e58dc2384f6ff3d72512947d65c6844c&oe=5D2E8CEB
https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=745e1d7eef0a5b2ecdeff713f7c9c04a&oe=5D4478A0

Last edited by a moderator:

I actually like these - they suit him very well!

I got the impression this was quite a successfull royal trip with lots of tropical images we are usually only used to when it comes to british royalty.

It does seem to have been a successful trip from Haakon indeed. I've loved seeing the photos.

Thanks, Eya, Iceflower, Mybags, Polyesco & Wartenberg7! :flowers:

The purpose of this visit (which, as all state/official visits, was on the request of the Norwegian government) was to strengthen Norway’s partnership with South Pacific island states, with a view to promoting common interests in the UN and in areas of international cooperation, for example, the oceans and climate change, and peace and security.

Read more about it in English here (link).

BTW: Unlike previous state/official visits, the court/government didn't go so much in pre-detail about this one (which was probably due to security reasons), and the events were therefore not listed in the calendar.

English Royal House articles with lots of information and links to his speeches:

Day 1 (link). Day 2 (link). Day 3 (link). Day 4 (link). Day 5 (link). Day 6 (link).

Media Coverage: Well, although not on par with state/official visits conducted by Their Majesties (either alone or together) or when he is accompanied by The Crown Princess; there have been some articles from The Norwegian News Agency (NTB) and TV2, who sent down two reporters and a photographer.

And now, some may wonder, why doesn't he generate the same media-interest as his parents and wife? Hmm, as I've written before, in Norway we have a tendency (as some commentators said it a while ago) to be more interested in older royals. Nor does it hurt to be charismatic, informal and good at sharing your emotions in public, something both The King, Queen and Crown Princess are widely known for. - And while The Crown Prince is both easygoing and friendly; he is what I would describe as an intellectual (or, according to himself, a ''thinker''), and he can, therefore, come across as a bit ''boring'' when he talks and talks and talks to the media about world-issues. Nor does it help him to be a man under 70, without any grey hair. LOL.

(And to those who think that him not getting as much coverage as his wife has something to do with fashion and such? Nope, apart from the unreliable gossip-mag, ''Se og Hør,'' the Norwegian media doesn't give a damn about stuff like that.)

Haakon "not charismatic"...?! Are you serious? Well, the Fijian Government did extensive coverage (similar to the Sussexes visit last year) as you can spot on youtube.

:previous: I know he's a favourite of yours, which I very much like since he doesn't seem to have a big fanbase, either domestically or internationally. But we are talking about a person here who, in addition to the stuff I wrote about in the previous post, has been (be it fair or not, and I think some of it is) under constant criticism in the period 2013-2018, due to reasons I've written about several times this past year, which I come back to right below. - And not only from the media but in some cases also from MPs responsible for royal matters in the Storting. But despite this, he hasn't changed how he operates. I.e. when it comes to his constant criticism of the media regarding Marius, and yes, he has been just as vocal on this as his wife; his founding and continued work with the still court-financed SIKT-Conference (link), where political teams such as Norwegian tax policy have been discussed (a big no-no for a future apolitical constitutional monarch); the way he still talks about political issues; and his friendship with Labour politicians. And this has as a consequence led people (both among the media and public) to become a bit tired of him, which IMO is also a reason why he doesn't generate the same interest as some of the other RF-members.

But anyway, despite the fact that he hasn't changed one bit, he's had a ''pretty'' (hmm, that word is an understatement, because he hasn't been criticised at all) good time media-wise for about a year now, which is (as I've also said in other threads) probably due to:
1. Although they've very much ruined his personal popularity, they haven't been able to do anything with the support for the monarchy, which is most likely due to The King, who's huge popularity rubs off to the institution. - But also (and even more I think) unpopular politicians, who are dogged by one scandal after another, which is one of the reasons behind the fact that more and more people here (especially those under 30, according to polls) seem to see the value of having an apolitical constitutional monarch, also with CP Haakon on the throne, and not a divisive politician in some form of elected apolitical/political presidential position.
And the media has therefore very much given up on giving The Crown Prince a hard time.
2. The Crown Princess' illness, which of course has given The CP-Couple much sympathy.
However, in contrast to the stuff above, it hasn't been the main reason, since we only got this news on October 24th. But it will probably hold the media back in the years to come, because if not, it would most likely backfire on them (and they know it).

Last edited:
:previous: I know he's a favourite of yours, which I very much like since he doesn't seem to have a big fanbase, either domestically or internationally. But we are talking about a person here who, in addition to the stuff I wrote about in the previous post, has been (be it fair or not, and I think some of it is) under constant criticism in the period 2013-2018, due to reasons I've written about several times this past year, which I come back to right below. - And not only from the media but in some cases also from MPs responsible for royal matters in the Storting. But despite this, he hasn't changed how he operates. I.e. when it comes to his constant criticism of the media regarding Marius, and yes, he has been just as vocal on this as his wife; his founding and continued work with the still court-financed SIKT-Conference (link), where political teams such as Norwegian tax policy have been discussed (a big no-no for a future apolitical constitutional monarch); the way he still talks about political issues; and his friendship with Labour politicians. And this has as a consequence led people (both among the media and public) to become a bit tired of him, which IMO is also a reason why he doesn't generate the same interest as some of the other RF-members.

By your analysis, I can certainly comprehend the reasons for the criticism in addition to the reasons it has recently died down, but it is confusing that criticism apparently caused interest to drop. In most monarchies, one would expect scandals to generate increased interest (not necessarily in a positive direction, but nonetheless interest).

:previous: Five years with criticism and he didn't change at all!

The media to themselves: ''Hmm, we've very much ruined his personal popularity, but it doesn't look like we can do anything with the support for the monarchy? Well, let's give up! - And cover him when we have to.''

While most of the public is probably a bit fed up: ''Oh, he again!'' Märtha BTW, pretty much gets the same reaction, only to a much larger extent.

??

I think we will never agree on this...! I think it is great he sticks to his believes and his habits. I could never respect a person who changes his actions just because of public or media opinion...

Back
Top Bottom