CP Haakon & CP Mette-Marit Current Events 3: December 2015 - December 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit visited the municipality of Risør today, May 8, to mark the 50th anniversary of the Konvoibyen, a seaman's house with 28 apartments for war sailors. Today also marks Liberation and Veterans' Day in Norway:

[...] newsinenglish article **

Riveting article. I can comprehend why the "wartime sailors" were not openly recognized back in those days, but it seems unjustifiable to deny them compensation and medical help and, per the Foreign Minister, to view them all as "nervous wrecks, prone to drunkenness and homelessness" in the postwar period. I'm glad to read that King Olav V apologized for their treatment in 1968.

They’re called krigsseilere in Norwegian, literally “wartime sailors” who were working on board Norwegian merchant ships sailing outside Norway when their homeland was invaded by Nazi Germany on April 9, 1940. The Germans ordered them to return to Norway or other German-controlled ports in Europe, but the vast majority stayed away, ultimately became part of the controversial “Nortraship” fleet formed by wealthy Norwegian shipowners, and served the allies and Norway’s own government in exile in London.

Nortraship became controversial because the seafarers themselves were paid poorly, worked under extremely difficult and dangerous conditions as they tried to dodge torpedoes from German submarines trying to halt the convoys, and then failed to receive the compensation they deserved when the war ended.

[…]

Five survivors of the convoy fleets, all aged 92 to 97 years, fought for years to finally win state support for the establishment of a register to preserve documentation of the seafarers’ contributions. They noted, in an an open plea to Norwegian politicians in newspaper Aftenposten in 2015, how more than 4,000 of their “comrades and colleagues” were killed at sea between 1939 and 1940, while serving on board Norway’s merchant fleet and in the portions of the Norwegian Navy that eluded German control. Many of the roughly 35,000 who survived returned to land with both physical and psychological scars from the horrors they experienced when vessels were blown up at sea and the convoy wasn’t allowed to stop and assist. Few received any medical or psychiatric help, and in many cases, their symptoms didn’t flare up until years later, in the form of post-traumatic disorders that weren’t recognized or acknowledged.

Thank you for the photos. :flowers:

Can you tell me about rabbits? Are they named after Princes Martha Louise?

Which rabbits do you mean? Maybe I've read it, but forgot about it..

Yesterday evening, May 15, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit hosted a Business for Peace dinner at Skaugum:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Which rabbits do you mean? Maybe I've read it, but forgot about it..

Yesterday evening, May 15, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit hosted a Business for Peace dinner at Skaugum:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

On the first picture is there Jamie Oliver? This man is very similar to him.

Last edited:
Though I might be the greatest soccer-hater on earth I still do like the link to charity!

I just ask myself every year I see this how much it must hurt when you fall on this gravel...?!

Last edited:
Great! Seeing Haakon in his navy uniform is a special treat! But the CPcss is very elegant, too!

The CP-Couple attends ''The Nordic Council Prize Gala'' at the Oslo Opera House this evening, where the Crown Princess will hand out this year’s literature prize.

NRK1 (the state owned Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation's and Norway's largest TV-Channel) will air it live from 19:45 to 20:55, although I don't think they will provide a live-link that works outside Norway for an event like this.

Read about the awards ceremony here: Crown Princess Mette-Marit & Prime Minister Erna Solberg to award Nordic Council prizes

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
it is good to see MM is in good spirits and attending events. she looks calm and relaxed.

Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit hosted a dinner for 60 guests at Skaugum this evening, November 22. The guests were mainly volunteers who participated in this year's TV campaign in aid of the Church Mission.

** Instagram photos ** kongehuset: Gjestebud på Skaugum **

Last edited:
The Crown Prince was scheduled to attend the gala performance on the occasion of Norwegian poet Hans Børli’s (read about him here) 100th anniversary at The Norwegian Theater (Det Norske Teatret) in Oslo (at 20:00 - 19:00 British time) alone this evening, but now The Crown Princess has been added to the official calendar, so she ''obviously'' has a good period, which is great. - Especially since she, alongside The Regent-Couple and her husband, also attended an Official luncheon for the Bishops at The Royal Palace today (an event CP Haakon also was supposed to do without her).

Good idea not to put her on the calendar. In that way people will be positively surprised when she does turn up, and not begin to speculate if she doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom