Christening of Sverre Magnus - March 4, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a quick pop-by in between my organizatiorial meet this weekend. I'm currently looking at the christening in the web-broadcast, and I'm so pleased about the first hymn. It's one of my favourite psalms. "We put our hands forward, in hope for the world."

Lovely.

Last edited:
more from facetoface :

Mette-Marit comforting Sverre Magnus from his loud crying...

adorable Ingrid Alexandra...

Marius, Maud Angelica, and Ingrid Alexandra lighting the candles...

and the royal guests.. Queen Margrarethe, Frederik, Mary, Victoria, and Kyril

Last edited by a moderator:
purple_platinum said:
more from facetoface :

Mette-Marit comforting Sverre Magnus from his loud crying...

I think Sverre was trying to tell his parents he wants his title back! :D

A lovely christening, now in Norway...Princess Mary, Maxima and specially Rosario Nadal were dazzling...

Alexandria: Countess Ruth of Rosenborg was married to Flemming of Rosenborg, son of Princess Margaretha of Denmark (sister to Crown Princess Märtha.) Countess Ruth is included in most events in the Norwegian royal family.

The princess are dressed horribly, except for Maxima. Princess Victoria is not even wearing a hat, and MM looks like she is going anywhere else except the baptism of her son. MM's little girl is also horribly dressed. The dark colors do not suit a little girl. She is always dressed in tan/brown/grey colors. Why???? A bow would have been cute considering her hair is so short. Mary does not look good either!!

wow what a beautiful ceremony. the pictures are beautiful and sverre looks so in his batismp gown. maxima, victoria, and mary looked good (agree with leaving the headpiece behind though). didnt care for mette marits alphet but she still looked wonderful.

The church was beautiful and i loved the simple, elegant flowers.
Enjoyed the children "being children" and that boy's got a set of lungs doesn't he! it was his party and he was going to cry if he wanted to. lol
QS and QM both looked lovely as always
It looks like PM and PV are quite friendly, lots of talking and interaction.
enjoyed watching the children wrangling around the fire (what were they thinking?) Ingrid was so funny, she got to close and then kept trying to blow them out, she looks like a handful but so cute.
Must say all the children were certainly well behaved for over an hour sitting in one place.
I think Marius is old enough for a proper suit, he's such a handsome boy.
I agree about the black but they both looked beautiful. Victoria might need a new stylist, she's beautiful and needs to let that shine out. I wondered about the hat thing myself. I liked the guests dressed in native costume, added such a festive symbolic touch. I enjoyed it very much.
Thanks for all the photos of the happy day.

I really don´t know why everybody´s always picking on Mette-Marit wearing black?! It´s a very distinguished and elegant colour and in many cases a much better choice than some of those trashy-glitzy-bright outfits that some royal ladies wear!

What was Sverre sad... further, however, beautiful elements in the service, also the songs. The children of Martha-Louise were with mummies cap considerable to boxing (were this the same cap such as M-L had on at the marriage of W-A and Maxima? I don't like Maxima's low decollete, very low and bald... I find the cap its splendid stand! Mary was notable me that them what was stretched... she put her arm which of Fred... how sweet!

Did princess Máxima think that she had to attend a funeral????!!!! :eek:

wartenberg7 said:
I really don´t know why everybody´s always picking on Mette-Marit wearing black?! It´s a very distinguished and elegant colour and in many cases a much better choice than some of those trashy-glitzy-bright outfits that some royal ladies wear!

I have not seen any of the Crown Princesses wear trashy outfits:confused: . Would you care to be more specific?

Hendrik-Jan77 said:
Did princess Máxima think that she had to attend a funeral????!!!! :eek:

I thought that she was very elegant and I like the fuschia camisole :p (we see bits of it in some pictures). She was also very polite by not upstaging the mother of the child who - to my sad observation - didn't dress very joyfully :rolleyes: .

I missed the christening. Thanks everyone for posting the lovely pictures.

I must congratulate Sverre for upholding the long and ancient tradition of crying at your own christening! I simply adore the pics of the little children lighting the candles; it must have added a special touch to the ceremony.

Most of the pictures I've seen somehow make the christening look awfully crowded. It looks like people are jammed right next to each other. I hope that's not the case and its just the camera angles. I would have liked to see a longshot from above of the whole cathedral to get a sense of the event.

The presence of black on some of the ladies does make the christening look more somber than usual and the large hats didn't help us to be able to see the ladies' faces. That was my main criticism at the Denmark christening and yet these hats seem bigger and hide more! Although Mary's headpiece wouldn't look appropriate outside a church and I'm not that big a fan of Mette-Marit's ribbon, at least we can see their faces.

Maxima for some reason look more somber than I am used to seeing her. Usually her vivacity shines through no matter where she is but somehow it wasn't apparent here.

Thanks again for all the pics!

Alexandria said:
In this official picture with the royal guests, Princess Ragnhild looks like such a bitter and angry woman. That might be just part of her natural look (in that she doesn't have a naturally smiley face the way Maxima does), but she just seems so unhappy to be there.

Maybe Princess Ragnhild is not smiling because Maud Angelica accidently kicked her in the head for all those nasty remarks she said about about her Daddy.;)

Both Maxima and Mette-Marit were very elegantly dressed. Dark clothes for any event in a church is perfectly acceptable. They both looked very classy. Black is always appropriate - although both of their dresses may actually have been dark blue.

It's a bit off topic, but those fashionistas out there - is it "done" to wear black tights with a black outfit? I thought you only did this when in mourning.

Originally Posted by Alexandria
In this official picture with the royal guests, Princess Ragnhild looks like such a bitter and angry woman. That might be just part of her natural look (in that she doesn't have a naturally smiley face the way Maxima does), but she just seems so unhappy to be there.

I'm not that well versed of the members of Norway's royal family, but what is wrong with that lady? Was there some sort of family dispute? Why does she look so peeved?

Alexandria, is there another link within the forums that could tell me about Princess Ragnhild and so forth.

Thank you:)

GlitteringTiaras said:
I'm not that well versed of the members of Norway's royal family, but what is wrong with that lady? Was there some sort of family dispute? Why does she look so peeved?

Alexandria, is there another link within the forums that could tell me about Princess Ragnhild and so forth.

IIRC, she made some very mean comments about both Mette-Marit and Ari Behn, and bashed Haakon and Martha Louise for marrying commoners.

To me they all looked very good . It is about the baby and to me a joyful and event not a fashion show.

Thanks so much to all who have posted photos. Does anyone have a clear photo they can post of MM's mom? She looks so well put together but the red marks kind of mar the image. Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately I think all the Crown Princesses looked, well, boring...except for Maxima who I thought looked quite nice indeed.

What on earth were Mary & Mette-Marit thinking? Mary's outfit was just.....so unflattering (why on earth would you wear fur as a head piece??? Its just beyond me..the only time a fur can be pulled off as a hat is when its in the Cossak style!) and Mette-Marit looks like she's dressed for a nursing home...

Quite dissapointed....BUT....what a lovely Christening :)

"MII"

GlitteringTiaras said:

Here is a link on Princess Ragnhild, Glittering Tiaras.

Mandy has made a cheeky suggestion about why the King's sister might look as sour as she does, but I can't find the thread regarding her comments about Mette-Marit and Ari Behn. There was quite a lively discussion here at the time about her comments.

Thank you all for the photos...The christening (I'll watch it later) seemed to be lovely. I like the children all lighting the candles how cute!

I thought Mette-Marit looked very radiant and beautiful, however I didn't care for her outfit. I thought she should have worn something more brighter and special. I was also disappointed by Crown Princess Victoria's attire, it looked like something she would've worn to a day-to-day engagement, she didn't even wear a headpiece.

I thought Máxima looked really elegant and sophisticated, very "royal". However, I would've liked to have seen the outfit in a much brighter color.

Mary also looked elegant and appropriate. The hair piece is very nice and wintery.

Princess Rosario looked elegant. The color is very nice.

For me the best dressed royal lady was Queen Sonja. She looked super stylish and very elegant. The orange and cream suit looked great on her paired with her jewels. Brava Your Majesty!

I just flipped through this whole thread and I must say the christening looked beautiful even though little Sverre Magnus was a little crier :D He seems to have strong lungs. Now, Martha Louise's hat....I understand she has a "wild" fashion sense for a royal but I hope she never recycles it. All the other ladies looked fine, not great, but fine. :) I love how all the kids were being...well kids. :D

Heyyyy, did Ingrid give Sverre some tips on how to behave during his christening? Hehehe, adorable! I hope their next baby follows this little family tradition. I thought it was adorable, but I also felt bad for him. At least little Sverre (or should I say Magnus?) calmed down after a few moments. Little Ingrid seemed to cry through her christening. Heh. Ingrid: "Mamma, Mamma, Mamma, Mamma..."

Back
Top Bottom