What is your opinion about Philippe and Mathilde?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One has to make the distingtion between IQ and social/emotionale intelligence. Philippe and Mathilde have a normal high IQ, both with universitary background.

Philippe lacks social intelligence (a lot!) That is why I wonder if he is so bad in social behavior only when people are around or also in private life.
My opinion is that Mathilde has a high IQ and social/emotional intelligence, but is to obedient to the royal establishment, to classic, to pious to be totally accepted/popolar.

It's kind of ironic to think now of Lady Di, she had no grade, she was a nursery teacher. It's not the brains that make a woman popular (do I need to give more examples...)
I know that this is going to seem far-fetched but could Prince Phillipe have Aspberger's Syndrome? I only pose this idea because I've read a number of comments regarding his "social intelligence," "awkwardness," and "stiffness."

I don't know if Prince Philippe has a high or low IQ social intelligence. What I think is that he is extremely shy and insecure with the public. God knows how much he wished to be more open and sociable but his shyness doesn't allow him to be that. When I see pictures of him arriving to some event he seems confident but as time goes by his insecurity shows up and it seems he can't do anything he planned to (socially speaking) like smiling to the public, tell something funny, etc.
Mathilde doesn't seem shy but reserved and contrary to her husband she seems to be at easy with the public.

i think they are a lovely reserved royal couple and very traditional which can have both advantages and disadvantages depending on what you want from a royal family

The main drawback for Phillipe seems to be his unease in public and his lack of social or people skills that can be a real problem for a future king or queen but that does not mean in his own way he won't rise to the occasion.Mathilde seems to be a very warm,sweet woman which can go along way with their public.I agree they are something of a throwback to an earlier time they are a reserved but gentle couple and seem to be very loving parents.I think Phillipe may be more relaxed with his family but dosen't have such an easy time with the public.I don't think this would make him stupid just shy his educational background seems to show that he is intelligent.

he is just too shy! maybe he could try some yoga classes or so to r.e.l.a.x

Dear Forum Members. This is my first post on this forum. I have been reading the royal forums for quite some time now since i am writing a paper for university about the role of the Monarchy in European society. I have read all your comments about Prince Phillipe and Princess Mathilde with interest.
In my opinion Prince Phillipe and Princess Mathilde are a wonderfull princely couple, they represent the old European Aristocracy. They both look and act very elegant, refined and dignified. I read comments on this board saying that Prince Phillipe has a certain goofiness about him! The style and sophistication that Prince Phillipe portrays should be an example for the other Royals in Europe. I do not see anything "goofy" in his manners, no quite on the contrary, i see a "naturally" acting Aristocrat, that according to his social position distances himself slightly of the people, but never in an arrogant manner. Even though Mathilde did not come from a reigning Royal family, she has been a God gift for the Royal family, since she has a natural understanding of what it means to be Royal. Princess Mathilde has a kind of humilty that is amazing. Thank you for reading,

Christian

I think CP Philippe is what they call "over bred". He is a true blue blood, a real aristocrat in the old pre-Diana style. I saw a documentary of him that was rather old, I think King Baudouin was still alive and Philippe was sent to Hawaii for the commemoration of Father Damien's 100th birthday or something.

He handled himself with elegance and poise, and he spoke perfect English. But nobody could call him "The People's Prince" or anything silly like that because he does NOT have the "common touch" or anything resembling it. He is an aristocrat through and through.

If he had been born in the 19th or even the first half of the 20th century he'd be perfect. Unfortunately for him and for all Royals of his ilk, people are demanding a more touchy-feely type of Royal in the 21st century.

For the record, I think he and his wife CP Mathilde are wonderful.

They look and deport themselves like a wonderful couple. Belgium should be proud of them.

I have to say, the two of them do Belgium proud.

They look and deport themselves like a wonderful couple. Belgium should be proud of them.

I agree, he and Mathilde and the entire family make me want to visit Belgium. I can't say the same about certain other Royal families and their respective countries!

But then again, I am not a native of Belgium so I guess my opinion doesn't matter much.

Last edited:
I think they are very good persons.I think they will be good monarchs of Belgium.:flowers:

I agree, he and Mathilde and the entire family make me want to visit Belgium. I can't say the same about certain other Royal families and their respective countries!

But then again, I am not a native of Belgium so I guess my opinion doesn't matter much.
Me too...I completely agree with you

Me too...I completely agree with you

I agree also. They have made me more curious about Belgium. They are an elegant couple, but they also have a warmth. I always enjoy reading about them and their family.

....[snipped]
In my opinion Prince Phillipe and Princess Mathilde are a wonderfull princely couple, they represent the old European Aristocracy. They both look and act very elegant, refined and dignified. I read comments on this board saying that Prince Phillipe has a certain goofiness about him! The style and sophistication that Prince Phillipe portrays should be an example for the other Royals in Europe. I do not see anything "goofy" in his manners, no quite on the contrary, i see a "naturally" acting Aristocrat, that according to his social position distances himself slightly of the people, but never in an arrogant manner. [my bolding] Even though Mathilde did not come from a reigning Royal family, she has been a God gift for the Royal family, since she has a natural understanding of what it means to be Royal. Princess Mathilde has a kind of humilty that is amazing. Thank you for reading,
Christian
I fully share your opinion. Crown Princely couple comports themselves in an impeccable way. Prince Phillipe belongs to a higher social stratum that defines his behaviour and ways he tends to interact with different people. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am very proud of my future King and Queen, and of their lovely children !

I seem to have a more leaning to liking Princess Mathilde, over Prince Phillippe he has always seemed abit distanced or distracted from public life. He never seemed to be very much of a leader in my eyes. :whistling:
Mathilde is wonderful though, she is a perfect royal model and Elisabeth, Gabriel, Emmanuel and Eleonore are lucky to have her as a mother. :flowers:

Oh i realise that the person in question has been banned but i would like to say this anyway, why was Henri.M. comparing Maxima and Mathilde, referencing the Dutch, and their royal family in nearly every post. It confuses me as this is a thread about the Crown Prince and Princess of Belgium.

x

Well, we Dutch like to feel better at the expense of our neighbours...(as any other nation I guess). We usually stick to complaining about the bad state of the Belgian roads while ours are so well taken care of ;). Or what a mess the spacial planning in Belgium is, it seems everybody can build a house in any style on any place they like, but somehow all these houses have two tacky stone lions in front of the driveway (with the cheapest version of the most expensive car they could afford on the driveway). Since the Belgians are often shy and quiet people, very little Dutch realise that they hate our guts and think we are too loud, boisterous, bad mannered and many other nasty things.

But since they are crown princesses of two neighbouring countries the comparison is quickly made. The press here focusses more on Mathilde than on other foreign crownprincess, and the Flemish press does the same.

Well, we Dutch like to feel better at the expense of our neighbours...(as any other nation I guess). We usually stick to complaining about the bad state of the Belgian roads while ours are so well taken care of ;). Or what a mess the spacial planning in Belgium is, it seems everybody can build a house in any style on any place they like, but somehow all these houses have two tacky stone lions in front of the driveway (with the cheapest version of the most expensive car they could afford on the driveway). Since the Belgians are often shy and quiet people, very little Dutch realise that they hate our guts and think we are too loud, boisterous, bad mannered and many other nasty things.

Should I? Would I? :whistling:

Marengo makes a point here. We shy quiet Belgians do not necessarily feel better than the Dutch (unlike the other way around :D), but we like to think our educational system is better, and, ok, so spacial planning is a mess... we don't like uniformity, so what's the deal? They laugh at our bad roads, and we wonder why their windows all have to open outward... Oh, wait, because the houses are so much smaller... :cool:

But, let's move on from the subject of Dutch vs Belgian (that issue has been solved to both of our satisfaction almost 180 years ago, despite some delusional ideas circulating these days)

But since they are crown princesses of two neighbouring countries the comparison is quickly made. The press here focusses more on Mathilde than on other foreign crownprincess, and the Flemish press does the same.

I think that's only natural, the same is probably true for the Scandinavian royals amongst each other.
Both princesses have their own character and characteristics, and both are perfect for their respective countries, and neither would "work" in the other country. Mathilde would be too "soft" for the Dutch, too boring, whereas Maxima would be too outgoing, too "eye-catching" for us modest Belgians.
So basically both Princes made a perfect choice. :lol:

Last edited:
It is rather nice to see a friendly exchange between two neighbours. Belgians invented lambic, the champagne of beers (Cantillon's Rose of Gambrinus:wub:), whereas Dutch Edam and Gouda are one of the best cheeses in the world. Each nation has done something useful.
Going back to royals, the foremost point for me (as aptly noted by LadyLeanna) is that Crown Princess Mathilde and Crown Princess Maxima are perfect matches for their spouses. The next key point is that both Crown Princesses carry their official duties out with grace. They have their own agendas and participate in various worthy causes. When it comes to workload, it is impossible to draw valid comparisons between Crown Princesses ... at least for me. Finally, I do not think that Belgians would have embraced a star Princess such as the late Diana, Princess of Wales was ... or perhaps I am wrong in my assumptions ...

Both Queens Paola and Fabiola should not allow a Princess being a star.

CP Mathilde is always serene, gracious, warm and quiet -- nice and steady just a perfect match for Phillipe......she does Belgium proud.

CPs Philippe and Mathilde are sensitive, delicate, tactful, elegant, discreet, unpretentious, intelligent, understanding, sympathetic, loving, kind-hearted, beautiful and charming persons.

In all these years, the crown belgian princess has been showing to the world how to behave in such a role. Near the people and remembering the mysthic of the royalty. I am happy of begining with thi topic.

what is your opinion about CPhillipe and CPssMathilde

In all these years ,princess Mathilde has been showing us the image of a royal who is near the people and know the mystique of the monarchy. Thank you for the photos and the information in this forum.:wave:

In my opinion, they are the most loving royal couple. Mathilde's quiet strength gives Phillippe a security. She is his help mate, never trying to outshine him which would be quite easy as he is very subdued. This is the perfect couple!!

Some people might not just have a gift for public speaking..so I guess Prince Philippe is like that..he needs to be coached or help so that his public persona will improve but I think that he is a good person and not stupid!

Should I? Would I? :whistling:

Marengo makes a point here. We shy quiet Belgians do not necessarily feel better than the Dutch (unlike the other way around :D), but we like to think our educational system is better, and, ok, so spacial planning is a mess... we don't like uniformity, so what's the deal? They laugh at our bad roads, and we wonder why their windows all have to open outward... Oh, wait, because the houses are so much smaller... :cool:

But, let's move on from the subject of Dutch vs Belgian (that issue has been solved to both of our satisfaction almost 180 years ago, despite some delusional ideas circulating these days)

I think that's only natural, the same is probably true for the Scandinavian royals amongst each other.
Both princesses have their own character and characteristics, and both are perfect for their respective countries, and neither would "work" in the other country. Mathilde would be too "soft" for the Dutch, too boring, whereas Maxima would be too outgoing, too "eye-catching" for us modest Belgians.
So basically both Princes made a perfect choice. :lol:

haha...I agree the conclusion..As a Chinese, I'm a spectator, but I think both the princess are perfect. Maxima is from the sourthern America, so she is more enthusiastic; and Mathilde is the one I like more. I like the smile on her face and she is very soft and make people feel safe(I think so:D). Prince Philippe maybe look serious in public, but the reason partly attribute to his characteristic and partly because of Belgian special national situations.

As an American I don't know anything about the background of these particular people. There is no coverage to speak of of any royal families except Great Britain's and occasionally Monaco. But if you can tell anything from body language or facial expressions, I'd say that this particular couple comes across very well. They look like they're both a little reserved but care for and support each other and the children appear well brought up and good mannered. They look like nice people. I couldn't say that about all the pictures of royalty I've seen.

I recently heard that Philippe had a very low "approval rating" in Belgium and, not knowing much, tried to do some digging to see what sort of disaster or scandal caused this. After all, his support was rated lower than the Prince of Wales who has had quite a few scandals under his belt. I was rather surprised to come up with nothing. Even reading through all the messages here I have been rather shocked by the attitudes and I still cannot quite help but wonder if there is not some great secret I alone am missing out on.

Based on what I have read, rather than Philippe and Mathilde it is the people of Belgium and perhaps some royal watchers who are the ones who need to 'just relax'. There's been no divorce, no affairs, no real scandals of any sort and no doubt about the couple being devoted to their duties. All the criticism I see is so un-specific and full of phrases starting with, "he seems", "she appears", "they come off as" or "I get the feeling that..." For so many people to have such a low opinion of the Crown Princely couple based on nothing more substantial than feelings and appearances is frankly alarming to me. Some things are matters of taste -who "seems" confident or doesn't, how Mathilde dresses etc. Other things are just -baffling. I noticed the word "clumsy" alot on this thread. Did either of them ever pull a Gerry Ford and fall down the stairs? Have they dropped one of their children on their head?

From the pictures and videos etc I have seen they look like an upright, dedicated "normal" couple to me. I don't see anything major they've ever done wrong and Crown Prince Philippe, in videos of him with the children, seems to shed his age and act like a very young first-time father. I did not understand what the problem with these two people was to begin with and, I have to say, the more I read the less and less I understand it. They seem perfectly fine and acceptable to me. If I'm missing something let me know but I'd appreciate specific actions rather than feelings or appearances. That's my two cents anyway...:twocents:

:belgiumstandard::belgiumflag::belgiumflag::belgiumflag:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom