The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Nobility

Smile Questions and answers?

I have a few questions to ask about Crown Prince Phillipe and Crown Princess Mathilde.

1. How did Prince Phillipe meet Mathilde?

2. How did he propose to Mathilde?

3. How do you all feel about the age gap between them?

4. Do you think Mathilde's character, attitude has changed in the years?

Old 11-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

1. I think they met playing tennis but I'm not entirely sure.
2. Don't know
3. I think 13 years is acceptable. I personally wouldn't marry anyone old enough to be my parent/young enough to be my child (though I'm not going to have to worry about the second for quite some time!). It might have been more of an issue if Mathilde was under 20 but she was a mature, grown woman and they seem perfect for each other.
4. I've only just started to follow this family so pass.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Majesty

Is there anyone here who can tell me when Mathilde made her first official solo engagement as Duchess of Brabant? (within Belgium) I've gone through the current events archives but they don't seem to cover 2000 and 2001, or even 2002.

How long after her wedding was it? THANKS MUCH in advance!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Administrator

I didn't know there was an age gap of 13 years, they have always looked so happy together and so for me, age is not important. I must say Philippe doesn't look his age to me and Mathilde hasn't aged a bit over the last 15 or so years!
Certainly her character and attitude has remained as lovely as ever as far as I can see.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Majesty

I agree, Philippe and Mathilde have always seemed so perfectly in sync with one another. They are one of those matches made in heaven that you hear and read about.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-23-2015, 12:58 PM
Courtier

Is Princess Elisabeth the crown princess of Belgium?
Old 05-23-2015, 01:17 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikha Pal View Post
I've read that Belgium doesn't have the title of Crown Princess (even though Mathilde was referred to as "Crown Princess" a lot when she was Duchess of Brabant). Instead their title for the heir to the throne is Duchess of Brabant, which is the title Elisabeth currently holds. Only the Scandinavian countries, Dubai (though I've read that it's not used in the same way as the European title as it's not hereditary) and Brunei officially have the title Crown Princess/Crown Prince IIRC. In Spain, it's the Prince/ss of Austrias, in the Netherlands it's the Prince/ss of Orange, in Liechtenstein and Monaco it's Hereditary Prince/Princess and in Britain it's the Prince/ss of Wales.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Japan and some of the former monarchies like Greece also use the title Crown Prince/Princess.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I've read that Belgium doesn't have the title of Crown Princess (even though Mathilde was referred to as "Crown Princess" a lot when she was Duchess of Brabant). Instead their title for the heir to the throne is Duchess of Brabant, which is the title Elisabeth currently holds. Only the Scandinavian countries, Dubai (though I've read that it's not used in the same way as the European title as it's not hereditary) and Brunei officially have the title Crown Princess/Crown Prince IIRC. In Spain, it's the Prince/ss of Austrias, in the Netherlands it's the Prince/ss of Orange, in Liechtenstein and Monaco it's Hereditary Prince/Princess and in Britain it's the Prince/ss of Wales.
Well, maybe not officially, but the term Crown prince(ss) ("Kroonprins(es)") was in the Netherlands certainly very often used for Juliana, Beatrix and Willem-Alexander in their time; everybody here knows who you mean (meant) if you use that title
Old 05-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Courtier

Thank you all for the information :thumbup::thumbup:
Old 08-06-2019, 02:23 AM
Serene Highness

Is there any reports of the Belgian RF doing a Summer Holiday too?
Old 10-27-2019, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikha Pal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
The official website and official statements use the style HRH Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant. This is the official styling used by the Royal Court.

Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant | The Belgian Monarchy

Hare Koninklijke Hoogheid Prinses Elisabeth, Hertogin van Brabant, viert haar 18e verjaardag | De Belgische Monarchie

However, it is a traditional Belgian and Dutch practice for the public to unofficially refer to the heir(ess) to the throne as Crown Prince(ss). Philippe was called Crown Prince Philippe in the Belgian media and Willem-Alexander was called Crown Prince Willem-Alexander in the Dutch media when they were the heirs to their respective thrones.

The term "Crown Prince or Crown Princess" was even used in the Royal Decree of November 12, 2015, referring to the position of heir to the throne.

Moniteur Belge - Belgisch Staatsblad

Based on what I see, this unofficial style normally is not used to refer to the spouse of the heir(ess). The media normally referred to Crown Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde (rather than Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde), and after Princess Elisabeth marries, my expectation is that the couple will be called Crown Princess Elisabeth and Prince X in the press, rather than Crown Princess Elisabeth and Crown Prince X.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Does the press ever shorten the title and just state Princess Elisabeth of Belgium without using Duchess of Brabant?
Old 10-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Does the press ever shorten the title and just state Princess Elisabeth of Belgium without using Duchess of Brabant?
Yes, but within Belgium, the "of Belgium" is frequently dropped from everyday usage.

The Court itself shortens the title to Princess Elisabeth. An example from a post on its social media yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/BeMonarchie...51102058486753
Photos de famille à l’occasion des 18 ans de la Princesse Elisabeth.
Familiefoto’s ter gelegenheid van de 18e verjaardag van Prinses Elisabeth.
Familienfotos anlässlich des 18. Geburtstages von Prinzessin Elisabeth.
Family photos on the occasion of the 18th birthday of Princess Elisabeth.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:15 AM
Heir Apparent

My understanding is that, unlike in Denmark or Sweden, Kroonprins is not a title in the Netherlands or Belgium, but rather a generic Dutch word to designate the prince who is heir to the Crown. In French , Prince Héritier is used instead of Kroonprins.

Élisabeth’s official title is HRH Princess Élisabeth , Duchess of Brabant, Princess of Belgium. ‘Princess of Belgium’. Is normally omitted in daily use, but it is always included in official documents like royal decrees or marriage certificates..

It is also interesting that the style “ Prince /Princess xxx of Belgium”, which is common in English, is nevertheless not used apparently in Belgium itself. Likewise, it appears that “Prince xxx of Sweden”, although common in English, is not used in Sweden either where, in daily use, one only says “ HRH Prince/Princess xxx” or, in formal use , HRH Xxx, Prince/Princess of Sweden, Duke/Duchess of xxx”.