Queen Mathilde's Family - d'Udekem d'Acoz

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is indeed an interesting interview and the countess is surprisingly open and honest. I never came across the interview before.

I agree an open, honest interview with a seemingly strong lady.
I had no idea that she lost her grandmother, uncle and aunt in Congo. Was it during the Congo Crisis?

I had no idea that she lost her grandmother, uncle and aunt in Congo. Was it during the Congo Crisis?

Yes I was wondering about that too?

Very interesting Interview. Many thanks for sharing it here

Wow, what an interesting, open and heartfelt interview! Thanks for posting it.

Reactions: eya

I never heard the story before either. The Sapieha family is listed on Paul Theroff's online Gotha. It shows that Css Anne's maternal grandparents - Adam Zygmunt, Fst Sapieha-Kodenski and Css Teresa Sobanska - died in 1970 and 1975 respectively, in the latter case in Brussels.

Note that this must be the grandmother that Css Anne mentioned of having lost four children: Pss Roza Maria died in 1944 in the Warsaw rising, and two others died a few months/years after birth. A 4th child, Prince Stanislaw died in Ngesho, in the Congo, in 1957.

The paternal grandparents of Css Anne are not mentioned on the online Gotha. But it seems her paternal grandmother Maria Zaborowska died in 1953 -I could not find a location. Her paternal grandfather Count Michal Leon Komorowski died in 1950 in Czestochowa, Poland.

A great-aunt, Pss Anna Sapieha and her husband Count Roman Bielski were murdered on April 2nd 1965 near Kivu in then Zaire, now Congo.

Last edited:
A rare interview who Queen Mathilde's mother, Anne Komorowska gave to 2007.

Queen Mathilde: Family: Anne's interview

Thank you so much for this!
Mathilde's mom has suffered so much loss in life yet she has managed to overcome everything and keep going, for her sake, her children and grandchildren.
I love how she described Philippe's support when her mother and her daughter died, he might have only been in the earlier stages of his relationship with Mathilde but already felt a kinship towards her family and helped them in this huge moment of grief, that speaks volumes about the kind of man he is.
And for Patrick's brothers? :cool:
They never forgave him for marrying someone he actually loved and having a lot of children with her.
And probably were jealous AF that Patrick's eldest daughter was to become their Queen as well.
Plus that whole inheritance mess, they were absolutely awful then.

Reactions: eya
No, as far as her grandmother and sister Marie-Alix were concerned it was on a highway very close to where I live in Liège, the name of the place is Cheratte…. very busy road with plenty of accidents (several highways crossing)

Last edited:
Château de Losange
The Château de Losange is a white castle located in Belgium, in the middle of the Ardennes forest at the place called Losange, near the small village of Villers-la-Bonne-Eau, in the province of Luxembourg.

This castle has become more famous since 1999 because it belongs to the Count (who died in 2008) and Countess Patrick dUdekem dAcoz, the parents of Queen Mathilde of Belgium, the wife of King Philippe of Belgium. It was in this castle that Queen Mathilde lived all her childhood.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_de_Losange

Last edited:
The engagement party of Princess Marie Josée took place there . Why ??

No I don't think Charles-Henri Comte d'Udekem d'Acoz is currently married.

Château de Losange
The Château de Losange is a white castle located in Belgium, in the middle of the Ardennes forest at the place called Losange, near the small village of Villers-la-Bonne-Eau, in the province of Luxembourg.

This castle has become more famous since 1999 because it belongs to the Count (who died in 2008) and Countess Patrick dUdekem dAcoz, the parents of Queen Mathilde of Belgium, the wife of King Philippe of Belgium. It was in this castle that Queen Mathilde lived all her childhood.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_de_Losange

Mathilde grew up there?? It's beautiful!

I believe her father Count Patrick bought it himself somewhere in the 70-ties. It is not property with longer connections to the family. His elder brothers did inherit family properties.

Count Henri inherited Castle 't Couthof in Poperinge. It is the castle where the three brothers were raised. Recently the day-to-day managment has been taken over by Count Raoul's son Bernhard. Mathilde's grandmother Jkvr. Suzanne van Outryve d'Ydewalle had inherited the castle from her aunt and adoptive mother Bss Raoul Mazeman de Couthove et de Tonlieu, née Jkvr. Mathilde van Outryve d'Ydewalle

Count Raoul inherited Castle Raepenburg in Ruddervoorde from his mother Jkvr. Suzanne van Outryve d'Ydewalle. The castle was built by Suzanne's anscestor the Belgian politician Bernhard van Severen. It is now inhabited by Count Raoul's son Count Bernhard,his wife the historian Jkvr. Marie-Pierre Verhaegen and their children.

An earlier family seat was Chateau d'Acoz in the Biesme valley, but that was sold in 1860 (acquired 100 years earlier). A few years later the family acquired the right to add 'd'Acoz' to their last name.

Last edited:
I believe her father Count Patrick bought it himself somewhere in the 70-ties. It is not property with longer connections to the family. His elder brothers did inherit family properties.

Count Henri inherited Castle 't Couthof in Poperinge. It is the castle where the three brothers were raised. Recently the day-to-day managment has been taken over by Count Raoul's son Bernhard. Mathilde's grandmother Jkvr. Suzanne van Outryve d'Ydewalle had inherited the castle from her aunt and adoptive mother Bss Raoul Mazeman de Couthove et de Tonlieu, née Jkvr. Mathilde van Outryve d'Ydewalle

Count Raoul inherited Castle Raepenburg in Ruddervoorde from his mother Jkvr. Suzanne van Outryve d'Ydewalle. The castle was built by Suzanne's anscestor the Belgian politician Bernhard van Severen. It is now inhabited by Count Raoul's son Count Bernhard,his wife the historian Jkvr. Marie-Pierre Verhaegen and their children.

An earlier family seat was Chateau d'Acoz in the Biesme valley, but that was sold in 1860 (acquired 100 years earlier). A few years later the family acquired the right to add 'd'Acoz' to their last name.

From what I have read it has been in the family since 1957. It was purchased by Patrick's mother after the previous owner died.

Queen Mathilde: Residence: Losange

Seems each son received a property from their mother. The older two received older family homes, and Patrick received this. She gave it to her son in 1958 (when he was a 22 year old university student) though he didn't originally live in the main home.

The engagement party of Princess Marie Josée took place there . Why ??
From what I have read it has been in the family since 1957. It was purchased by Patrick's mother after the previous owner died.

Seems each son received a property from their mother. The older two received older family homes, and Patrick received this. She gave it to her son in 1958 (when he was a 22 year old university student) though he didn't originally live in the main home.
Maria Olivia - the link in Countessmeout's post answers your question about Princess Marie José

Thanks for the correction!

"Mathilde's sister, Hélène d'Udekem and her family were at a show organized by KickCancer, where Angèle and GuiHome performed.
Hélène's middle child Alistair recovered from a brain tumor a few years ago and ever since Hélène has been involved with children's cancer charities and foundations."

Queen Mathilde: Family: Hélène & KickCancer

Does someone know the name of her three children ?

Back
Top Bottom