Queen Mathilde's Family - d'Udekem d'Acoz

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Henri M. said:
And Alfonso Pallavincini is no Prince but a Marchioness.

Well, as long as Alfonso is not appearing in drag, I think we should stick to Marquess, don't you agree? ;)

flctylu said:
I think it was very stupid of Patrick to go and tell a gossip magazine about his "little" issue and drag Mathilde and the already "shaky" and "damaged" Belgium Royal Family into it by saying that his daughter supports him. I beleive that Mathilde has made a huge mistake by taking sides and telling her father that she supports him - this might be the evidence that some people need to suggest that the BRF [can't think of an adjective to fit this situation]..rotton/no family values/power hungry. I think that this little debarcle over some property between two brothers is going to the extreme - calling your own brother a liar/manipulator and a tyrant [I'm sorry but who uses the word tyrant now-a-days to describe a family member it's not the 1600's its the 21st century]. Sorry if I sound like I'm bashing good "angelic", "intelligent" Mathilde; I write this post just to say that if Mathilde has made any mistakes so far as CP it is this.

Just because one person, parent or not, says one thing does not neccessarily mean that it is true. Until Mathilde herself says so, which is highly unlikely, we have to assume that she is reamaining clear of the debacle, as she should.

The whole matter was discussed on a dutch tv programme last week. What struck one of the commenters (Jan Vandenberghe) said was that they had this fight for years, even before Mathilde married. However the family thus far has been so discrete that nobody knew. Both uncles were interviewed at the time of the marrage and they only had praise for Mathilde. I remember even Henri commenting on the loss of Marie-Alix, with warm words for his brother and sister-in-law, etc So this family has always been extremely discrete. I wondered what hapened now that made Patrick decide that it could not go on like this any longer.

They also showed the house that Patrick bought in Poperingen (near the grave of his daughter) and that was declared unhabitable by his brother Henri, the mayor. I must say that from the loks of it, it seemed that Henri was right though, the place seemed to be falling into pieces.

the translation of "belangenvermenging" in english is "conflict of interest":flowers:

Count Raoul d'Udekem d'Acoz spoke with a VTM programm,e two days ago about the fight he and his brother Henri have with their brother Patrick. In 2000 the King acted as a mediator between the quarreling brothers. This resulted in a contract about the devision of their mothers inheritance which was signed by all three brothers. A few days later Patrick came back on this contract and said he did not agree with it anymore.

I believe the brothers will meet each other in court in a few days/weeks. The inheritance of their mother was estimated at 35 million euros.

Any news about Mathilde's sister Marchioness Elisabeth Pallavicini?

As posted by Catherine on the Benelux Royals MB:

[FONT=verdana, arial]Count Patrick and countess Hélène d'Udekem d'Acoz (father and sister of princess Mathilde) were condemned yesterday by the correctional court of Ieper for infractions to the public environment. They will not receive a punishment or fine.

Father d'Udekem had bought a small house on a terrain close to the cemetary where his daughter Marie-Alix's grave is.

Because of a wrong advise he had started renovation works without a building permit. The construction council filed a complaint against him. His daughter Hélène acted as his sollicitor, if I'm not mistaken.

Meanwhile the house has been torn down, on the order of Patrick d'Udekem. They are trying to get a permit to build a new house on the grounds.
[/FONT]

Great news : Mathilde's sister, Elisabeth, Marquess of Pallavicini, is pregnant with her first child. Paris Match Belgium has published a pic of the couple and it really shows !

It's nice to know that Princess Mathilde is an aristocrat and the Prince of Belgium married her for love..She's the only Crown Princess nowadays who belong to a noble family...Its very rare nowadays to hear a royal prince marrying a girl from a royal or an aristocrat family with the exception of Prince ERnst of Hanover and the royals in the middle east..

Aaccording to Paris Match the name of the daughter of Mathilde's sister, Marchioness Elisabeth Pallavicini, is called Olympia.

It seems to me that Count d'Udekem d'Acoz strives to rigorously adhere to the old traditions. He has been fortunate so far because his daughters happily married into noble/royal families.

Does anyone knows what Mathilde's brother Charles-Henri studied/is studying?

As I wrote on the TRF Blog, here:

‘Life is too short to be fighting’, Count Henri d’Udekem d’Acoz tells the Belgian newspaper ‘Het Nieuwsblad’. The late count Patrick d’Udekem ‘d Acoz was involved in a fight with his brothers Henri and Raoul for years, mainly about a property in Westbroek. The fight was covered in the press and even the court tried to mediate. The stroke and death of count Patrick made his brother realise that life is to short to fight and althouh it was a horrible experience it brought the family closer together.

Count Henri tells newspaper ‘Het Nieuwsblad’ that the widow of his brother, countess Anne Komorovska, visited him and his wife this weekend at his estate ’’t Couthof’. Countess Anne was accompanied by her daughter Marchioness Hélene Pallavicini and her son count Charles-Henri d’Udekem d’Acoz. According to Henri, his wife made a nice pea-soup, a fish dish and a chocolate mousse.

During her visit countess Anne told her brother-in-law that prince Philippe would also dorp by that afternoon. The prince arrived by private helicopter, which he flew himself, and also took his eldest son Gabriël with him. According to count Henri it was a very cosy visit and the prince drank a cup of coffeewith the family. It wasn’t the first time that a royal guest visited count Henri since the family feud ended. In January princess Mathilde herself visited her uncle and his wife Marie Madelaine.

The article from ’Het Nieuwsblad’ in Dutch here.

Why is Crown Princess Mathilde's mother referred to as Countess Komorovska? Why not Countess d’Udekem d’Acoz?

That is something I did but it is usually done in the press too. I suppose it might date back from before Mathilde's marriage, when count Patrick UA was 'just' Jonkheer d'Udekem d'Acoz. The wife of a jonkheer does not get a title and would just be a plain Mrs. d'Udekem. So if such a lady is titled by birth that title is often used, as it is higher in rank.

Still, I sometimes see Countess Marie Madelaine d'Udekem d'Acoz (wife of Count Henri) referred too as Jonkvrouwe Marie-Madelaine Kervyn d'Oud Mooreghem.

That's very interesting: looking at a genealogy about the descendants of italian nobleman Emanuele Filiberto Argentero, Marquess of Bersezio and Argentera, I come to know that Mathilde, through her paternal family, is:
- fourth cousin of Prince Franz Joseph von Auersperg-Trautson, husband of the former Archduchess Maria Constanza of Austria, daughter of AD Carl Ludwig;
- far cousin of the wives of Archdukes Joseph Arpad and Michael, born Princesses of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg;
- far cousin of her own husband Prince Philippe.

Discendenti d'Emanuele Filiberto Argentero

Thanks for the information,mafan:flowers:It is really interesting

To be more careful, she and Philippe are 8th cousins...

I'd be surprised if this topic hadn't been discussed before, but I haven't seen it on this or any other thread and I haven't read any rule against mentioning it.

Does anyone know the circumstances of the accident that took the lives of Mathilde's grandmother and sister? For example, was one of the two women driving? Any info/insights would be much appreciated.
Thanks

I can tell you it was at Cheratte, a place very close to where I am, Liège. It is a very dangerous place with several highway crossings and a bridge on the river Meuse, and there are lots of accidents there all the time.

In Mathilde's biography I read the following (but it's been a while, so excuse the vague details):

Mathildes grandmother and sister were on their way to a birthday party. Mathilde herself, and her mother, couldn't come along right away, so they left later. Grandmother was driving. They were driving in a small car, type Volkswagen Golf or similar.

At this terribly dangerous place, on a highway, if I'm not mistaken, suddenly a trucker lost control while driving. Maybe he was drunk, maybe he had fallen asleep... Until now the man continues to maintain he didn't do anything wrong, I'm not sure what the court has decided about it.

In any case, the car with Mathildes grandmother and sister was caught by the truck. If I remember correctly, they both died immediately.

Not even 30 minutes later, Countess Anne passed by the place of the accident, also on her way to the birthday party, and I think Mathilde was with her. She recognized the car immediately, of course. Must have been very traumatic for them.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, I am just discovering this thread and have seen only the first three wonderful photos at the beginning and am now so overwhelmed, that I have to stop reading further. Please pardon my exuberance.....I cannot otherwise.....just thanking you.....

I am also learning about this for the first time. This is so horrible and tragic. I can't even imagine what this must have been like for the family. Thank you, Lady Leana for sharing the info.

It must have been terrible. Countess Anne got out of the car, and actually saw how people were trying to reanimate one victim, and how another was under a white sheet... (can't remember which was which now) She managed to tell the emergency services who the victims were, before she completely broke down. I have much respect for that. She must be a very strong woman.

Thanks for the information.I am really sorry for them.I knew they both died in the accident but I ignored the details.

Back
Top Bottom