Queen Mathilde's Family - d'Udekem d'Acoz

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is Marengo's post from July 2013 on the establishment of the foundation:

Queen Mathilde and her siblings have founded the Groupement Forestier de Losange (GFL).This foundation has a port folio of 3,33 million euros, mainly the castle of Losange and the land around the castle. This foundation has to prevent the property from getting scattered upon the death of one of the siblings: if one sibling dies, the remaining ones will get their share. The queen's share is valued at 675.000,- euros.

It is a common construction for aristocratic Belgian families. Reactions in the press have been surprisingly understanding.

Mathilde stelt familiefortuin veilig in vennootschap - HLN.be

Mathilde brengt gronden onder in vennootschappen - De Standaard

Her sister Elisabeth d'Udekem d'Acoz is 3 years younger than her, and is like her, a speech therapist.

She has been, for quite a while now, the girlfriend of prince Charles-Philippe d'Orléans. They're frequently spotted together on parties.

Elisabeth did have a long and serious relationship with prince Charles Philippe d'Orléans.

Were the former couple introduced through the Belgian royal family?

I have noticed the same pattern in other families, for example the King of Sweden's nieces have largely married nobility whereas his nephews have married commoners..

But then the King of Sweden has much more nephews then nieces.

Hélène is growing more and more beautiful ! A lovely couple !

Here is Marengo's post from July 2013 on the establishment of the foundation:

Were the former couple introduced through the Belgian royal family?

I don’t think they were introduced through the royal family, the Orléans family used to have a home in Belgium many years ago and it is very possible that Charles and Elisabeth met through mutual friends.

That is really totally new for me. There is nothing about it in media, while the marriages of Mathilde's sisters were events.
Their brother is much more low-key compared to his sisters and much younger. Maybe because he wasn’t marrying an aristocrat might be a factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Gabriel missing out on his uncle's wedding because of the recent start of his army training?

:previous:

He is currently taking part in a 6 week military introduction training at the Belgian military training area Elsenborn.

The comtesse Charles-Henri d'Udekem d'Acoz seems to wear some antique looking hair ornament to hold her veil.

Wonderful pictures but I really wonder why we didn't get to see Hélène and Elisabeth, his two other sisters ? Did they refuse to be photographed ? It is a pity too we don't get to know the names of the children.

I would like a better image of the hair ornament. I find her dress and hairstyle unflattering

Wonderful pictures but I really wonder why we didn't get to see Hélène and Elisabeth, his two other sisters ? Did they refuse to be photographed ? It is a pity too we don't get to know the names of the children.

I also wondered about this, we didn't see them or their spouses :ermm:

Perhaps amongst all the excitement they must have been more apt to leave the spotlight on the other members of the family.

Has more come to light regarding the background of Count Charles-Henri's wife, Caroline Philipe? I know she's a French banker. Is it certain she's not an aristocrat?

I remember reading on the Wikipedia page for the Belgian nobility about a dozen years ago that approximately sixty percent of Belgian nobles still married fellow nobles. In Mathilde and Charles-Henri's mother's surprisingly candid interview a few years back, she said that -- though her parents had lost everything in Poland's communist upheavals -- there was still an expectation in her day that one would marry nobility. She said that "thank god" that was no longer the case. Still, I've noticed that Charles-Henri has a fairly aristocratic social and professional life (weren't one or both of his law partners titled?), and so I had thought he might marry nobility.

Wonder how old she is, she looks quite a lot older than Charles.

Has more come to light regarding the background of Count Charles-Henri's wife, Caroline Philipe? I know she's a French banker. Is it certain she's not an aristocrat?

I remember reading on the Wikipedia page for the Belgian nobility about a dozen years ago that approximately sixty percent of Belgian nobles still married fellow nobles. In Mathilde and Charles-Henri's mother's surprisingly candid interview a few years back, she said that -- though her parents had lost everything in Poland's communist upheavals -- there was still an expectation in her day that one would marry nobility. She said that "thank god" that was no longer the case. Still, I've noticed that Charles-Henri has a fairly aristocratic social and professional life (weren't one or both of his law partners titled?), and so I had thought he might marry nobility.

The Annuaire Noblesse Française enlists no such name:

Philpin de Piépape 1749
de Phily 1634
Pichard du Page et de La Callière (XVIII Siècle)
Picot de Moras d'Aligny 1480

The Annuaire Noblesse Française enlists no such name:

Philpin de Piépape 1749
de Phily 1634
Pichard du Page et de La Callière (XVIII Siècle)
Picot de Moras d'Aligny 1480

Thanks for the useful info! I still wonder if, like the families of the former Camilla Shand or Sarah Ferguson, there is nobility and/or landed gentry in her background, even if the family itself is not noble. None of the coverage I've seen even lists her parents' names.

Thanks for the useful info! I still wonder if, like the families of the former Camilla Shand or Sarah Ferguson, there is nobility and/or landed gentry in her background, even if the family itself is not noble. None of the coverage I've seen even lists her parents' names.
I don’t think she belongs to either class, so Charles is the first of his siblings to marry a non-noble

There is landed gentry in France. Examples are former President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing whom acted every inch an aristocrat but was not one: his family was landed gentry. The same with Henri de Laborde de Monpezat (spouse of Queen Margrethe of Denmark). They were bourgeois gentilhommes (landed gentry) but no aristocrats.

No idea if Caroline Philipe belongs to such a family but my guess is Charles-Henri d'Udekem d'Acoz has no interest in it. He just loves his bride.

We rarely see the Queen's Mother , born Comtess Anna Komorowska, Daughter of Princess Zofia Sapieha but she looked so happy at her Son's Wedding .
They are living in the Castle of Losange yet.

:previous:

The castle is still used I think. I passed it a few months ago -during the hunting season- and there were a lot of cars parked in front of it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if during the week the countess would prefer to be in Brussels. Losange is rather isolated and Bastogne is also not necessarily a place buzzing with excitement.

Last edited:
There is landed gentry in France. Examples are former President Valéry Giscard d'Estaing whom acted every inch an aristocrat but was not one: his family was landed gentry. The same with Henri de Laborde de Monpezat (spouse of Queen Margrethe of Denmark). They were bourgeois gentilhommes (landed gentry) but no aristocrats.

No idea if Caroline Philipe belongs to such a family but my guess is Charles-Henri d'Udekem d'Acoz has no interest in it. He just loves his bride.

I hadn't realized bourgeois gentilhommes were equivalent to a gentry, but will defer to your better understanding. The de Laborde de Monpezat family tended to marry quite humbly before Henrik's marriage.

To be clear, I'm happy for the couple no matter what the bride's background. I'm just interested in family trees.

Back
Top Bottom