Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant News and Events 1, Oct 2019 - Feb 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elisabeth's mother tongue is French and she excels in Dutch. So it's fairly easy to guess which languages she might have chosen for the language portion of the exam

Didn't Elisabeth and her siblings got extra help for their writing in French at some point? I think she would be more comfortable writing in Dutch due to the fact that she studied like 10 years in that language?

Didn't Elisabeth and her siblings got extra help for their writing in French at some point? I think she would be more comfortable writing in Dutch due to the fact that she studied like 10 years in that language?

She did. My guess is she had the main part of the exam in Dutch (as it is the language she received most of her education in) and the smaller part in French.

It consists of:
* A 350 word summary of a 1000 word essay in your mother tongue (Dutch/French/German)
* Some elementary exercises (translation of 15 sentences and one open answer question) in one of the other languages of Belgium (so, either Dutch/French/German) - I wonder which one Elisabeth picked for which exercise
* Maths exercise: 10 MC-questions; 10 open questions (end of high school level; those taking the engineering degree do an additional maths exam).

I assume she did the 350-word summary in Dutch and the second part of the language exam in French.

I haven't seen the previous years' tests, but I looked at the first-year civil engineering curriculum and it starts at a very high level in Math by US standards: Linear Algebra and Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs) and Vector Calculus and Partial Differential Equations (PDEs). I suppose that is standard in Europe (and the UK) since calculus of real-valued functions of a single real variable (equivalent to US High School AP Calculus AB/BC or Calculus I in college) is normally covered in upper secondary school for students in the science/engineering track.

Still, I don't know if the common Maths section in the exam covers Calculus too, or if Calculus is part only of the additional maths exam.

EDIT: The science part of the engineering curriculum is also pretty standard. In the first year, they have two semesters of classical mechanics (including mechanics of rigid bodies in the second semester), general chemistry, and one semester each of thermodynamics and electromagnetism. In second year, they have modern Physics (principles of nuclear and quantum physics) and also waves and optics. The math part of second year also includes Probability, Statistics and Random Variables (maybe Stochastic Processes too?), Laplace and Fourier Transforms, and Numerical Methods. A very solid basic science and math curriculum indeed.

Last edited:

Yes, I remember reading that. But still...it would stand to reason that French and Dutch or some combination of those two are her preferred languages.

Yes, I remember reading that. But still...it would stand to reason that French and Dutch or some combination of those two are her preferred languages.
Of course, French and Dutch are her preferred languages. I don't think she is close to fluent in German (ideally she would manage the elementary exercise); so my question was about French or Dutch as 'first language' - as she speaks French at home but spoke Dutch at school. So yes, probably Dutch as that is her 'school language', while the second exercise would be a piece of cake for someone who is bilingual in two of the three languages of the country she is to be queen of one day.

"Princess Elisabeth and her fellow students started the military initiation phase in Camp Elsenborn in Bütgenbach on September 2. It is an important part of her education (1st year) Social and Military Sciences at the Royal Military Academy (RMA). The blue beret ceremony in the presence of parents on September 25 at the RMA will mark the end of this military initiation phase. The images illustrate what a day in the camp looks like for the Princess and her platoon.⁣"

Videos
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKde2iHoyf/

Pictures
https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/status/1305914313060876291/photo/1

Last edited:
"Princess Elisabeth and her fellow students started the military initiation phase in Camp Elsenborn in Bütgenbach on September 2. It is an important part of her education (1st year) Social and Military Sciences at the Royal Military Academy (RMA). The blue beret ceremony in the presence of parents on September 25 at the RMA will mark the end of this military initiation phase. The images illustrate what a day in the camp looks like for the Princess and her platoon.⁣"

Videos
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKde2iHoyf/

Pictures
https://twitter.com/MonarchieBe/status/1305914313060876291/photo/1
Wow. As many here, I remember Elisabeth going to school for the first time. Now she is following a military training and is learning how to shoot with a rifle. It is a bit overwhelming but certainly a proud moment.

Like all other students she is adressed by her family name. She’s in a Dutch speaking group so they call her ‘van België’.

Pretty tough program: up at 5.45 am and full day program until 11.00 pm - if they're lucky they can get about 6 hours of sleep between 11.30 pm and 5.30 am. And no mobile phones from Monday - Friday.

Last edited:
The longest video so far (almost 50 minutes):

It's a really tough introduction training, the good thing is that Elisabeth seems to be pretty athletic and seemingly can keep up with it.

I love that they are showing us everything, what a proud moment this must be for her father to see his "little" girl showing her character and grit in the Army.

Excellent idea to show everyone what the KMS training is about, I think many people who wanted to join now have a much better idea about it, it's great promotion for the Academy and a great learning experience for Elisabeth.

It seems the training is all done in Dutch. Does anybody know if the soldiers are required to be perfectly bi-lingual? Or do they separate the French- and Dutch-speaking recruits?

It seems the training is all done in Dutch. Does anybody know if the soldiers are required to be perfectly bi-lingual? Or do they separate the French- and Dutch-speaking recruits?

Based on their entrance test, they don't need to be fully bilingual, they need to be fluent in one of the languages of Belgium (Dutch, French or German) and need to have a basic understanding of a second language.

It was already speculated that Elisabeth most likely took Dutch as her primary language and French as her secondary language as she did all her schooling in Dutch (before her final two years in English).

So, it seems they indeed separate the recruits by language (and probably have a German language group as well - not sure what the number of students would be for that one).

The longest video so far (almost 50 minutes):

It's a really tough introduction training, the good thing is that Elisabeth seems to be pretty athletic and seemingly can keep up with it.

I love that they are showing us everything, what a proud moment this must be for her father to see his "little" girl showing her character and grit in the Army.

Excellent idea to show everyone what the KMS training is about, I think many people who wanted to join now have a much better idea about it, it's great promotion for the Academy and a great learning experience for Elisabeth.

There's a strange shot of Elisabeth's legs at 3:25. Did she get a very odd summer tan?

There's a strange shot of Elisabeth's legs at 3:25. Did she get a very odd summer tan?
Isn't that the shadow of the camera man?

I'm very impressed! It looks like a tough course! I wish Elisabeth the best, I hope she enjoys it and makes new friends:flowers:

:previous: The photos and videos give us an excellent window into Elizabeth's initial military introduction as she begins her 1 year program at the RMA. Very impressive!
Looking forward to her blue beret ceremony on Sept. 25.

Yes, I think that is the shadow of the camera man on her leg.

Last edited:
I love they did the video and gave us a sense of what her training is like.

Its a very intense program. Good thing Elizabeth is indeed in great shape.

I am sure her dad is proud watching her go through it. ?

Look forward to her blue beret ceremony coming up.

According to this video, Elisabeth only missed TWO shots, which is excellent marksmanship for a newbie, she has probably fired arms before, a shotgun or a rifle, Philippe probably taught her and her siblings, maybe hunting?

According to this video, Elisabeth only missed TWO shots, which is excellent marksmanship for a newbie, she has probably fired arms before, a shotgun or a rifle, Philippe probably taught her and her siblings, maybe hunting?
Wow I am impressed. No doubt she would be good. I also think she has some previous training. After all, the best soldiers of the Country spent time almost daily with the family for their security. Maybe they gave her some shooting lesson.

Certainly not my cup of tea (I can't think of anything worse!) but Elisabeth seems to be enjoying herself and she seems to have made friends there already. I can imagine that she will meet people from all walks of life as the army (or at least from what I know of the British army) is very diverse, with young people from working class families and aristocratic families attending the same academy.

Her last 2 years of schooling and now this year are all great exposure to other people. 2 years in Wales living in dorms with students from all over the world (they have had kids from 90 countries). And now the military academy with young men and women from all economic walks of life.

Certainly not my cup of tea (I can't think of anything worse!) but Elisabeth seems to be enjoying herself and she seems to have made friends there already. I can imagine that she will meet people from all walks of life as the army (or at least from what I know of the British army) is very diverse, with young people from working class families and aristocratic families attending the same academy.

Not my cup either...I doubt that I would last 24 hours in a military training environment. But Elisabeth seems more than equal to the task.

I find this lovely young woman terribly impressive. Lucky Belgium!

Her abdominal crunches seem rather clumsy though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Philippe practiced hunting with his children. It is pretty common for European royal and noble families.

Last edited:
Isn't a ceremony supposed to be hold today at the Academy at the presence of the King and Queen and all the other parents of the cadets?

:previous:

Yes, it is!

** monarchie: La cérémonie de la remise des bérets bleus **

Their Majesties the King and the Queen attend the ceremony of the presentation of the blue berets (..) to the officer cadets of the new promotions at the Royal Military Academy (..). The presentation of the blue beret makes it concrete for the students to successfully complete their military initiation phase (PIM). The King presents the blue beret to the students of the peloton which includes Her Royal Highness Princess Elisabeth. The formal opening of the academic year of the ERM will take place on October 8.

Here are some first videos and photos:

** rex gallery ** tt.se gallery ** ppe gallery **

** gettyimages: BEL: King Philippe Of Belgium And Queen Mathilde Attend The Blue Beret Parade At the Royal Military Academy In Brussels **

Last edited:
Proud parents and Elisabeth also looks proud of herself, just lovely!

Full video

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful pictures! I bet a few tears have been shed from the proud parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom