The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-23-2020, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
This is from unofficialroyalty.com, which states that the current surname most members of the Belgian RF use is van België (see a few questions down):

Belgian Royal FAQs | Unofficial Royalty
It specifically states that they use "the family name was changed in 1920 to van België, de Belgique or von Belgien (“of Belgium”) in the country’s three official languages (Dutch, French and German)."

So, it references the surname in three languages - however, it's an unofficial website, so that doesn't say much about the actual usage by the family members (who indeed seem to prefer the French spelling of both first and surname); for example, how often do you read 'King Filip of Belgium'?

Old 05-23-2020, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It specifically states that they use "the family name was changed in 1920 to van België, de Belgique or von Belgien (“of Belgium”) in the country’s three official languages (Dutch, French and German)."

So, it references the surname in three languages - however, it's an unofficial website, so that doesn't say much about the actual usage by the family members (who indeed seem to prefer the French spelling of both first and surname); for example, how often do you read 'King Filip of Belgium'?
Plus he's the King of the Belgians, not the King of Belgium, so using that would be technically incorrect?

Old 05-23-2020, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It specifically states that they use "the family name was changed in 1920 to van België, de Belgique or von Belgien (“of Belgium”) in the country’s three official languages (Dutch, French and German).
The website likely sourced its information from the website of the Belgian government, which indeed used to state the above. However, the government's information was incorrect (and has been removed). The more comprehensive sources which I have consulted (including this one) state that King Albert I renounced the usage of German titles (not family names) in April 1921 (not 1920).

This topic has been discussed extensively (and additional sources are posted) in the "Titles of the Belgian Royal Family" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Plus he's the King of the Belgians, not the King of Belgium, so using that would be technically incorrect?
"The King of the Belgians" is his official title, but the Belgian linguistic convention is indeed to use "King Filip of Belgium" when a speaker refers the king by his given name. I am not sure of the reasons, but perhaps it is because the King of the Belgians is additionally a Prince of Belgium.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The website likely sourced its information from the website of the Belgian government, which indeed used to state the above. However, the government's information was incorrect (and has been removed). The more comprehensive sources which I have consulted (including this one) state that King Albert I renounced the usage of German titles (not family names) in April 1921 (not 1920).

This topic has been discussed extensively (and additional sources are posted) in the "Titles of the Belgian Royal Family" thread.

"The King of the Belgians" is his official title, but the Belgian linguistic convention is indeed to use "King Filip of Belgium" when a speaker refers the king by his given name. I am not sure of the reasons, but perhaps it is because the King of the Belgians is additionally a Prince of Belgium.
My apologies for using 'of Belgium' instead of 'of the Belgians' which somehow threw this discussion of rail.

If you indeed find lots of 'King Filip of Belgium' references, that would contradict the previous statement that the French version is always/typically used by the family (and as a result the media); as Filip is clearly the Dutch and not French version (which is Philippe) of his name. My impression was that Philippe is far more prevalent outside of Belgium and the Netherlands but glad to know that I was wrong and that the situation is not as dire as you feared - as we found at least one exception.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
If you indeed find lots of 'King Filip of Belgium' references, that would contradict the previous statement that the French version is always/typically used by the family (and as a result the media); as Filip is clearly the Dutch and not French version (which is Philippe) of his name. My impression was that Philippe is far more prevalent outside of Belgium and the Netherlands but glad to know that I was wrong and that the situation is not as dire as you feared - as we found at least one exception.
Leidi's question, which was quoted above my answer, was regarding whether "of the Belgians" or "of Belgium" was correct (not Dutch versus French). My answer was that the convention in Belgium was to use "King Filip of Belgium" (Koning Filip van België/Le Roi Philippe de Belgique) as opposed to "King Filip of the Belgians" when using the king's given name. In my answer I used the Dutch form of his given name as it happened to be the one in your post quoted by Leidi.

Indeed, it is the French version of given names (Philippe) that is typically used by the English-language media (except of course for those based in Flanders or other Dutch-speaking regions).

ETA: I believe I incorrectly interpreted what you had written, as I read it together with leidi's question. As I understand it now, you were continuing the discussion about the choice of language, whereas I believed you were questioning whether the king regularly uses "of Belgium" at all. I apologize.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:52 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The last days rumors appeared on social media that the duchess of Brabant had received a scholarship during her stay at the United World College in Wales. A list with names of students was shared who supposedly received a scholarship, the name of the princess was on this list.

Royalty reported Wim Dehandschutter has contacted the palace and the palace denied that the princess has received a scholarship. They also made it clear that -contrary to rumors on social media- the princess will also not receive money while studying at the military academy, unlike the other recruits.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:46 AM
Heir Apparent

I haven't found a better topic to put this on. Princess Elisabeth on the cover of Belgium's Paris Match magazine.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EaNooHJW...name=4096x4096
Old 06-14-2020, 04:07 PM
Majesty

This is Elisabeth's 2nd Paris Match cover in less than a year. That's pretty impressive for a teenager-even a Royal one.

The European press must feel that the lovely Belgian princess "sells" and I am not at all surprised.

My question is how do her parents feel about the increasing media interest in their eldest daughter and heir? They must have mixed feelings. Her elegance and youthful beauty and poise are a tribute to Philippe and Mathilde ,and also useful for the image of Belgium.

On the other hand, it is only a matter of time before the tabloids start jumping on the bandwagon and creating romantic scandals and otherwise interfering in the girl's private life.

I think Philippe and Mathilde are exemplary Royal parents but i have also always suspected that they are "helicopter parents" who hover. They micromanage every aspect of the lives of the Belgian Royal children.(This applies particularly to Mathilde)

They have been particularly successful with the "rollout" of the Duchess of Brabant. I wonder if they worry that too much press attention might be a distraction for Elisabeth?

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-14-2020, 04:52 PM
Serene Highness

The Princess is not a child they can tell what to do anymore though. If they raised her right as a young adult she has a mind of her own and will learn by trial and error, making awful choices to learn from hopefully. I bet the media will try to make drama, come up with scandal but it goes with the territory of being a beautiful young princess putting herself out their .
Old 06-14-2020, 05:12 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
The Princess is not a child they can tell what to do anymore though. If they raised her right as a young adult she has a mind of her own and will learn by trial and error, making awful choices to learn from hopefully. I bet the media will try to make drama, come up with scandal but it goes with the territory of being a beautiful young princess putting herself out their .
She's not just any child she's heir to the throne. They will have a say in her life whether she likes it or not. The moment she was born they were already preparing her for the throne. I just hope she doesn't grow up to resent the restrictions or whine about not being able to do certain things.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:40 PM
Serene Highness

Parents can have a say but they can’t force her to do anything and if she wants to go her own way she will. 18 year olds should Be chafing at the bit and not need Or want constant parental input whether they are heirs or not. If they fall they get stronger and smarter Hopefully
Old 06-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Unless you strike out on your own financially, even when you are 18 your parents do have a say. Whether Joe Smith or the crown princess of a country. Elizabeth doesn't have the ability to break free, get a job and live life as she chooses to. Nor the freedom to simply fall and make her own mistakes.

Elisabeth has known from a young age this is her life. What her future will hold. Unlike his younger siblings she wont have the freedom to choose her own career and life path. Even things like what university she will choose will be highly scrutinized. If she does a masters degree she may get a chance to study abroad again if she chooses like other heirs, but for now after the military year she will be expected to be educated in Belgium.

Her parents will know that there will be some natural chafing at those rules. So they will try and give her as much freedom as they can. She has a few years, likely 5 years minimum (military year and university) before she becomes a full time royal though I am sure she will make more appearances in those years. Elisabeth will be given some freedom/flexibility by her parents as much as possible during those years.

Going to school in Wales was a good choice. It allowed her a few years where she was just Elisabeth, her peers weren't her future subjects. She likely enjoyed that freedom. Hopefully she can still enjoy some in Belgium.

At least the cover is an old photo. It hasn't turned to her being stalked for photos by the paps yet. Being a single/of age royal of a reigning monarchy she will be popular for magazines. Being beautiful and a future queen will just add to that. Stories sell papers. Single and enjoying life is more exciting then kindergarten runs.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:36 PM
Majesty

Question..after she completes her year of military school, will Elisabeth be expected to appear at National Day ceremonies in uniform?

I think a male heir might have to do this, but Elisabeth will be the first queen of the Belgians in her own right.

I don't ever see Victoria of Sweden in uniform, though she is in the same position as Elisabeth.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-14-2020, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Elisabeth will have to live a life of restrictions and will have to avoid scandals, she certainly knows that this is her life.
I hope that the magazines don't start chasing her now and that she might still have some freedom.
But it's inevitable that when she has her first real boyfriend, then the photographers will all fall on her... But that's part of being the future queen of a country.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Question..after she completes her year of military school, will Elisabeth be expected to appear at National Day ceremonies in uniform?

I think a male heir might have to do this, but Elisabeth will be the first queen of the Belgians in her own right.

I don't ever see Victoria of Sweden in uniform, though she is in the same position as Elisabeth.
If she gets any kind of military rank, she will, her aunt Astrid has often showed in military uniform at the National Day and Te Deum ceremonies.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post

While Victoria did basic military training, she never served in the armed forces, she has no rank. Unlike with the British royals, she doesn't have an honorary rank either. In contrast to her father and brother who completed full training and service in the navy, and received a rank.

Elisabeth will be in a similar position as Victoria. She is not taking the full training. She is simply doing a year at the military academy. She will not have a rank when she leaves. While she is at the academy, she would wear their uniform to events.

In the future she is likely to receive an honorary rank (before she is queen). Her Aunt Astrid is a colonel of the medical corps and wears an uniform to National day. Elisabeth likely would as well.