Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant News and Events 1, Oct 2019 - Feb 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: I love Raf Simons designs, good choice for Elisabeth!:flowers:

Not sure boarding school is as big of preparation as you'd think. While she wasn't at home with mom's cooking, she certainly wasn't fending for herself. Living in dorms with meals, house parents and such. She will be used to being away from home which will of course be a step up from some of the students, but it will still be a big change from her boarding school life.

Nice touch, not only a Belgian brand but something she had been given as a birthday gift.

For all their royal titles on two sides, Astrid's children are private citizens. Sons and daughters they have no obligation for particular studies or military training. Elisabeth's female cousins not going into it is not a sign that people like Eleanor wouldn't down the line.

Amedeo and Joachim simply chose to follow a long family tradition. Their father served in the Austrian army. Their maternal Uncles both did military training in Belgium. It likely seemed natural.

Personally unless they are the heir to the throne, I don't see any need for either gender to serve unless they have career plans to serve. With heirs, especially in countries where they are the future military leaders, the experience should be part of the education for both female and male heirs. At least a basic year of studies and training like Elisabeth will do.

I was checking the UWC Atlantic YT channel and they get a lot of military-like physical activity with an emphasis on teamwork:

It's not a "run-of-the-mill" boarding school, so I do think it would help her a lot with her actual military training.

I think her parents have striven to give her the best education for the job she has with each phase slipping seamlessly to the next. The most important thing she has to do is "listen", something she's been doing all her life. Covid-19 has even been educational for she and siblings given an almost unique opportunity to show just what kind of person each of the family is. I have high hopes for Elisabeth.

I was checking the UWC Atlantic YT channel and they get a lot of military-like physical activity with an emphasis on teamwork:

It's not a "run-of-the-mill" boarding school, so I do think it would help her a lot with her actual military training.

I wasn't referring to the rigorous military training, but thanks.

I was responding to this

I think her time at a boarding school abroad will come to very good use here. She is used to stand on her own and adapting to often different people. While some of her future fellow students will come straight from home and mother's cooking.

I was pointing out that living at boarding school wasn't really 'standing on her own'. She lived in dorms, had meals prepared, had a house parent to watch over her. Yes it means that she is used to being away from her parents, but she still had her meals being made and a parental figure. The military training life will still be a big adjustment to her. She will be slightly better prepared then some as it wont be the first time she was away from home.

I think her parents have striven to give her the best education for the job she has with each phase slipping seamlessly to the next. The most important thing she has to do is "listen", something she's been doing all her life. Covid-19 has even been educational for she and siblings given an almost unique opportunity to show just what kind of person each of the family is. I have high hopes for Elisabeth.

Elisabeth and her siblings have shown young that they have a work ethic and understand their position. The kids in this family had been involved in duties (not just photo ops and official things like national day) since they were young. Even things like attending the Queen Elisabeth music events are important in their training for royal life. COVID simply has stepped it up for them, and has given them even greater platform to shine and show the great character their parents have instilled in them.

The first time I really saw her shine, and still to me is the stand out point, was when she accompanied her mother to Africa.

Also Raf Simons, who has been head designer at Calvin Klein, Dior and now Prada.

Would wearing Raf actually constitute supporting Belgian designers? Maybe continental royals have a different standard. I mean that's the whole Givenchy issue all over again. British designer/foreign label. Belgian designer/Italian house.

I am sure there are plenty of other Belgian designers beyond Natan and Noten. Perhaps not 'famous' ones but all the better. Its great when royals give a boost to local businesses when they wear smaller brands and up and coming designers. The sports wear is perfect example, a company only a year old, and look the boost they just received from these photos.

Last edited:
Well, as English is not my first language, I may have used an imprecise phrase, though you obviously did get my meaning.
That, as you exemplify yourself, for a teenager who has lived a sheltered and privileged life, living in boarding school abroad is a big change.
- Even if she didn't have to cook her own meals.
And having a "parental figure" is (hopefully) not the same as having parents or close friends nearby.

So mid-teenage-Elisabeth had to adjust and adapt to a different environment, different demands, different challenges and different people 24/7. Something she had to work out on her own.
And which I, most erroneously, referred to a "standing on her own."

It is my sincere hope that my meaning is more clear now.

I wasn't referring to the rigorous military training, but thanks.

I was responding to this

I was pointing out that living at boarding school wasn't really 'standing on her own'. She lived in dorms, had meals prepared, had a house parent to watch over her. Yes it means that she is used to being away from her parents, but she still had her meals being made and a parental figure. The military training life will still be a big adjustment to her. She will be slightly better prepared then some as it wont be the first time she was away from home.

Elisabeth and her siblings have shown young that they have a work ethic and understand their position. The kids in this family had been involved in duties (not just photo ops and official things like national day) since they were young. Even things like attending the Queen Elisabeth music events are important in their training for royal life. COVID simply has stepped it up for them, and has given them even greater platform to shine and show the great character their parents have instilled in them.

The first time I really saw her shine, and still to me is the stand out point, was when she accompanied her mother to Africa.

Would wearing Raf actually constitute supporting Belgian designers? Maybe continental royals have a different standard. I mean that's the whole Givenchy issue all over again. British designer/foreign label. Belgian designer/Italian house.

I am sure there are plenty of other Belgian designers beyond Natan and Noten. Perhaps not 'famous' ones but all the better. Its great when royals give a boost to local businesses when they wear smaller brands and up and coming designers. The sports wear is perfect example, a company only a year old, and look the boost they just received from these photos.

Last edited:
Well good for her on making the decision to enter military school. Though that's not a requirement for one to be deemed qualified to become the monarch, military school will surely help Elisabeth know more about how Belgium's military works. After all, in decades, she will be the one who will be commanding her country's military.

"Today, Belgian Crown Princess Elisabeth, 18, has graduated from high school. She was mentioned under the name Elisabeth de Brabant in the online proclamation of "Class of 2020" @ Atlantic College in Wales. Duchess of Brabant is her dynastic title as successor to the throne."

"Today, Belgian Crown Princess Elisabeth, 18, has graduated from high school. She was mentioned under the name Elisabeth de Brabant in the online proclamation of "Class of 2020" @ Atlantic College in Wales. Duchess of Brabant is her dynastic title as successor to the throne."

So the school used the British naming system? Like William of Cambridge or Andrew of York, their duchy as surname.

So the school used the British naming system? Like William of Cambridge or Andrew of York, their duchy as surname.

I’m assuming the school asked Elisabeth how she wished to be referred.

It is not without precedent in the Belgian royal family. For her grandfather, his school used "Albert de Liège", as the then-Prince Albert held the dynastic title of Prince of Liège.

Wouldn't the Royal Belgian Court aka the princess's parents, have notified school officials as to how their heir was to be addressed at the time of her enrollment in their institution?

In any case, Elisabeth de Brabant is perfect. Not too fussy, but appropriate for the future Queen of the Belgians.

Congratulations Elisabeth..you are on your way!:flowers:

In any case, Elisabeth de Brabant is perfect. Not too fussy, but appropriate for the future Queen of the Belgians.

I would have liked to see "Elisabeth van Brabant". Although the Royal Family has certainly improved its usage of Dutch, their practice of always using the French forms of their names when outside of French- or Dutch-speaking countries creates the impression that they see French and not Dutch as their native language.

I would have liked to see "Elisabeth van Brabant". Although the Royal Family has certainly improved its usage of Dutch, their practice of always using the French forms of their names when outside of French- or Dutch-speaking countries creates the impression that they see French and not Dutch as their native language.
Probably in this case the same applies as in Luxembourg; only this generation truly speaks the language. Where Guillaume apparently is the first to be fluent in Luxembourgish; it seems Elisabeth and her generation are the first to grow up bilingual. At home, French is spoken, while they speak/spoke Dutch with their peers in school.

Apologies, didn't notice that! They probably use a variety of the name "of Belgium" e.g. French or Dutch because some external sources say van and others say de.

No apologies necessary! I too have the impression that external sources tend to be better at using the name in both languages than the royal family themselves (when outside of Dutch-speaking regions or schools).

This is from unofficialroyalty.com, which states that the current surname most members of the Belgian RF use is van België (see a few questions down):

Belgian Royal FAQs | Unofficial Royalty

It specifically states that they use "the family name was changed in 1920 to van België, de Belgique or von Belgien (“of Belgium”) in the country’s three official languages (Dutch, French and German)."

So, it references the surname in three languages - however, it's an unofficial website, so that doesn't say much about the actual usage by the family members (who indeed seem to prefer the French spelling of both first and surname); for example, how often do you read 'King Filip of Belgium'?

It specifically states that they use "the family name was changed in 1920 to van België, de Belgique or von Belgien (“of Belgium”) in the country’s three official languages (Dutch, French and German)."

So, it references the surname in three languages - however, it's an unofficial website, so that doesn't say much about the actual usage by the family members (who indeed seem to prefer the French spelling of both first and surname); for example, how often do you read 'King Filip of Belgium'?

Plus he's the King of the Belgians, not the King of Belgium, so using that would be technically incorrect?

It specifically states that they use "the family name was changed in 1920 to van België, de Belgique or von Belgien (“of Belgium”) in the country’s three official languages (Dutch, French and German).

The website likely sourced its information from the website of the Belgian government, which indeed used to state the above. However, the government's information was incorrect (and has been removed). The more comprehensive sources which I have consulted (including this one) state that King Albert I renounced the usage of German titles (not family names) in April 1921 (not 1920).

This topic has been discussed extensively (and additional sources are posted) in the "Titles of the Belgian Royal Family" thread.

Plus he's the King of the Belgians, not the King of Belgium, so using that would be technically incorrect?

"The King of the Belgians" is his official title, but the Belgian linguistic convention is indeed to use "King Filip of Belgium" when a speaker refers the king by his given name. I am not sure of the reasons, but perhaps it is because the King of the Belgians is additionally a Prince of Belgium.

The website likely sourced its information from the website of the Belgian government, which indeed used to state the above. However, the government's information was incorrect (and has been removed). The more comprehensive sources which I have consulted (including this one) state that King Albert I renounced the usage of German titles (not family names) in April 1921 (not 1920).

This topic has been discussed extensively (and additional sources are posted) in the "Titles of the Belgian Royal Family" thread.

"The King of the Belgians" is his official title, but the Belgian linguistic convention is indeed to use "King Filip of Belgium" when a speaker refers the king by his given name. I am not sure of the reasons, but perhaps it is because the King of the Belgians is additionally a Prince of Belgium.
My apologies for using 'of Belgium' instead of 'of the Belgians' which somehow threw this discussion of rail.

If you indeed find lots of 'King Filip of Belgium' references, that would contradict the previous statement that the French version is always/typically used by the family (and as a result the media); as Filip is clearly the Dutch and not French version (which is Philippe) of his name. My impression was that Philippe is far more prevalent outside of Belgium and the Netherlands but glad to know that I was wrong and that the situation is not as dire as you feared - as we found at least one exception.

If you indeed find lots of 'King Filip of Belgium' references, that would contradict the previous statement that the French version is always/typically used by the family (and as a result the media); as Filip is clearly the Dutch and not French version (which is Philippe) of his name. My impression was that Philippe is far more prevalent outside of Belgium and the Netherlands but glad to know that I was wrong and that the situation is not as dire as you feared - as we found at least one exception.

Leidi's question, which was quoted above my answer, was regarding whether "of the Belgians" or "of Belgium" was correct (not Dutch versus French). My answer was that the convention in Belgium was to use "King Filip of Belgium" (Koning Filip van België/Le Roi Philippe de Belgique) as opposed to "King Filip of the Belgians" when using the king's given name. In my answer I used the Dutch form of his given name as it happened to be the one in your post quoted by Leidi.

Indeed, it is the French version of given names (Philippe) that is typically used by the English-language media (except of course for those based in Flanders or other Dutch-speaking regions).

ETA: I believe I incorrectly interpreted what you had written, as I read it together with leidi's question. As I understand it now, you were continuing the discussion about the choice of language, whereas I believed you were questioning whether the king regularly uses "of Belgium" at all. I apologize.

Last edited:
The last days rumors appeared on social media that the duchess of Brabant had received a scholarship during her stay at the United World College in Wales. A list with names of students was shared who supposedly received a scholarship, the name of the princess was on this list.

Royalty reported Wim Dehandschutter has contacted the palace and the palace denied that the princess has received a scholarship. They also made it clear that -contrary to rumors on social media- the princess will also not receive money while studying at the military academy, unlike the other recruits.

:previous: This is Elisabeth's 2nd Paris Match cover in less than a year. That's pretty impressive for a teenager-even a Royal one.;)

The European press must feel that the lovely Belgian princess "sells" and I am not at all surprised.

My question is how do her parents feel about the increasing media interest in their eldest daughter and heir? They must have mixed feelings. Her elegance and youthful beauty and poise are a tribute to Philippe and Mathilde ,and also useful for the image of Belgium.

On the other hand, it is only a matter of time before the tabloids start jumping on the bandwagon and creating romantic scandals and otherwise interfering in the girl's private life.

I think Philippe and Mathilde are exemplary Royal parents but i have also always suspected that they are "helicopter parents" who hover. They micromanage every aspect of the lives of the Belgian Royal children.(This applies particularly to Mathilde)

They have been particularly successful with the "rollout" of the Duchess of Brabant. I wonder if they worry that too much press attention might be a distraction for Elisabeth?

Last edited:
The Princess is not a child they can tell what to do anymore though. If they raised her right as a young adult she has a mind of her own and will learn by trial and error, making awful choices to learn from hopefully. I bet the media will try to make drama, come up with scandal but it goes with the territory of being a beautiful young princess putting herself out their .

The Princess is not a child they can tell what to do anymore though. If they raised her right as a young adult she has a mind of her own and will learn by trial and error, making awful choices to learn from hopefully. I bet the media will try to make drama, come up with scandal but it goes with the territory of being a beautiful young princess putting herself out their .

She's not just any child she's heir to the throne. They will have a say in her life whether she likes it or not. The moment she was born they were already preparing her for the throne. I just hope she doesn't grow up to resent the restrictions or whine about not being able to do certain things.

Parents can have a say but they can’t force her to do anything and if she wants to go her own way she will. 18 year olds should Be chafing at the bit and not need Or want constant parental input whether they are heirs or not. If they fall they get stronger and smarter Hopefully

Unless you strike out on your own financially, even when you are 18 your parents do have a say. Whether Joe Smith or the crown princess of a country. Elizabeth doesn't have the ability to break free, get a job and live life as she chooses to. Nor the freedom to simply fall and make her own mistakes.

Elisabeth has known from a young age this is her life. What her future will hold. Unlike his younger siblings she wont have the freedom to choose her own career and life path. Even things like what university she will choose will be highly scrutinized. If she does a masters degree she may get a chance to study abroad again if she chooses like other heirs, but for now after the military year she will be expected to be educated in Belgium.

Her parents will know that there will be some natural chafing at those rules. So they will try and give her as much freedom as they can. She has a few years, likely 5 years minimum (military year and university) before she becomes a full time royal though I am sure she will make more appearances in those years. Elisabeth will be given some freedom/flexibility by her parents as much as possible during those years.

Going to school in Wales was a good choice. It allowed her a few years where she was just Elisabeth, her peers weren't her future subjects. She likely enjoyed that freedom. Hopefully she can still enjoy some in Belgium.

At least the cover is an old photo. It hasn't turned to her being stalked for photos by the paps yet. Being a single/of age royal of a reigning monarchy she will be popular for magazines. Being beautiful and a future queen will just add to that. Stories sell papers. Single and enjoying life is more exciting then kindergarten runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom