Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant News and Events 1, Oct 2019 - Feb 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She looks so poised and elegant. I’m so proud of her. Can’t wait to see her do more solo engagements in the future.

She looks great. The nice-looking young man in the blue suit walking with her appears to agree with us. :cool:

I got really emotional watching her performing her first solo engagement. I remember her as a child...how time flies!!!
She looks a bit nervous but also very poised and dignified.
And she is also reviewing the troops [emoji2956]

Belgians must be extremely proud of their young princess.

I agree with what the above posters said, Elisabeth is elegant and dignified despite a bit nervous. Those young princesses all grow up and keep making me emotional ?.

She is walking as if the shoes are uncomfortable but her evident nerves only adds to her charm.

She is so lovely and elegant!?

The shoes probably are uncomfortable.

But I imagine Lisa is about to get very, very popular in Belgium, very, very quickly. It's always handy to have a lovely, charming princess on duty, and this one is even the heir. By her wardrobe, she does seem at least semi-prepared.

Fortunately she is not full-time yet and gets to go back to school and be normal for a bit longer.

Edit: And I can't believe she got rained on! Even if it's good luck (and she's already been in the military), that is quite a bit of poise. Brava Elisabeth. At least you'll remember your debut.

Last edited:
A second solo event in a week,the duchess is doing a wonderful job!

Very Proud , We never had a Young Crown Princess and she is doing it with great perfection.

Such an elegant, poised young woman. Perfect!

Now that she is carrying out official solo engagements, will Elisabeth begin receiving an apartment from the Government, or will she continue to be supported by her parents?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is the plaque in English instead of Dutch?

The KU Leuven is 'Dutch-speaking' - although of course many academics will not be Belgian, so English is widely spoken as well...

What a great idea from the university of Leuven to have the "patronage" of Princess Elisabeth in order to promote the girls enrollment and one can tell she was very excited and definitely more at ease in the academical environment. Her smile was very telling.
Sure she knows what's best for her, but I hope she will choose a Belgian university for her postgraduate education.

What a great idea from the university of Leuven to have the "patronage" of Princess Elisabeth in order to promote the girls enrollment and one can tell she was very excited and definitely more at ease in the academical environment. Her smile was very telling.
Sure she knows what's best for her, but I hope she will choose a Belgian university for her postgraduate education.

It would be good in my opinion if she chose a French-speaking university, either in Belgium or in France, for her master's as all of her education so far has been either in Dutch (including her year at the military academy) or in English (first at Atlantic College and now at Oxford). But, if she follows into her father's footsteps, she might go to the United States instead. Maybe she is not comfortable with French as an academic language (again because she never attended a French-speakinng school), but I don't know.

Anyway, she still has two years left to complete her degree at Oxford and, she has indicated she wants to stay for the whole 3 years and finish her course. So she still has plenty of time to consider what she will do next.

Last edited:
When did the princess attend the Yale Young Global Scholars Program? I just read about it in her biography on the monarchie-website.

From my experience with Flemish people I met before (not many to be honest), speaking French and English besides Dutch seems to be pretty much the norm for educated speakers, so it doesn't surprise me at all. German is a plus and Elisabeth probably had to learn it because she will be Queen and German is still one of the official languages of Belgium despite being spoken by less than 1 % of the population actually (which doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I understand there are historical reasons to keep it that way).

I doubt Elisabeth's skills are the same in all 4 languages though. For example, she is known to write better in Dutch than in French even though she speaks French at home. After two years at Atlantic College and now a full year at Oxford, I assume her English skills must be pretty strong, but, if I had to make a guess, I would assume her knowledge of German is more functional, but that is just speculation on my part.
I agree that she likely isn't at the same level of fluency in all 4 languages. I personally doubt she is truly fluent in German. As a speaker of Dutch it isn't too hard to understand but to speak it fluently is a different matter. She will be able to give a prepared (written) speech without question but I doubt she'd manage a more complex conversation without mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elisabeth is so poised, so charming, she's a bit shy (not as much as her father) but has quite a bit of charisma, everyone seems to be so at ease around her, it's nice to see.

The summer camp was most likely the reason that she only attend the Te Deum and Defilé at the National Day and was absent for the evening festivities.

Must be a bit strange to return to her 'soldier life' after studying at Oxford for a year - but I assume that her previous year of training means that she smooths back into things quite easily.

I wonder how her 'year' received her as they must have learned a lot during a year of additional training but Elisabeth is expected to rejoin them without that year of training but should keep up with them like anyone else I assume (otherwise she would be a burden to her team).

It is only a recall of her military Education of last year. It is like this in Belgium
She will return to Oxford in time

It is only a recall of her military Education of last year. It is like this in Belgium
She will return to Oxford in time

I am aware that it is just a 'summer camp' for her and that she will return to Oxford in the fall. However, they state that she participated with her former fellow-students who did continue on for another year of social & military studies. So either that year of study was irrelevant for what they are expected to show/do/learn during this summer camp or she must have had major deficiencies at the start.

I am aware that it is just a 'summer camp' for her and that she will return to Oxford in the fall. However, they state that she participated with her former fellow-students who did continue on for another year of social & military studies. So either that year of study was irrelevant for what they are expected to show/do/learn during this summer camp or she must have had major deficiencies at the start.

It was announced that she attended a short course in the spring that was made available for students who were unable to participate in the winter camp.

As I understand it, tactical skills are only acquired during the winter and summer camps, primarily the latter. During the academic year, the focus is on ,well, academics, physical fitness/games, and basic leadership skills.

In other words, the summer camp is independent from the rest of the year.

For what it is worth, the camp was described on the Royal Military Academy's website as follows.

Juillet 2022 - Princesse Elisabeth rejoint sa Prom pour le camp d'été

La Princesse Elisabeth rejoint ce mois-ci, de nouveau les élèves de sa promotion pour le camp d'été de l'École Royale Militaire. Pendant cette période de camp, la princesse et ses camarades de promotion vivent sur le terrain pendant un peu moins d'un mois, sans aucune forme de luxe, les obligeant à être attentifs les uns envers les autres et à vivre en groupe. Pendant ce stage, les étudiants dirigent une section de neuf personnes. Comme activités, ils effectuent des patrouilles et apprennent à observer sans être vus eux-mêmes. Les sports militaires comme la piste d'obstacles, le parcours naturel et le cross d'orientation sont également au programme. Le camp se conclura fin juillet, par un exercice de synthèse dans lequel les élèves sont testés sur leurs habiletés tactiques, de nuit comme de jour.

Juli 2022 - Prinses Elisabeth sluit aan bij Prom op zomerkamp

Deze maand sluit Prinses Elisabeth zich opnieuw aan bij de leerlingen van haar promotie voor het zomerkamp van de Koninklijke Militaire School. Tijdens deze kampperiode leven de prinses en haar promgenoten een kleine maand op het terrein, zonder enige vorm van luxe, waardoor ze gedwongen worden om met elkaar rekening te houden en in groep te leven. De leerlingen geven tijdens dit kamp orders aan een sectie van negen personen. Daarnaast voeren ze patrouilles uit en leren ze observeren zonder zelf gezien te worden. Ook militaire sporten zoals hindernispiste, natuurlijke omloop en oriëntatiecross staan op hun programma. Eind juli wordt het kamp afgesloten met een syntheseoefening waarbij de leerlingen getest worden op hun tactische vaardigheden, zowel ’s nachts als overdag.​

(Note also that the crown princess is referred to in the Academy's announcements as Princess Elisabeth in accordance with Belgian custom, as earlier discussed.)

Princess Elisabeth signs the book of condolences at the residence of the Ambassador of the United Kingdom, in tribute to Queen Elizabeth II.

https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/rouwregister-ter-ere-van-koningin-elizabeth-ii

“Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has been a role model & a source of inspiration for many of us, young & old. I join the millions around the world in memory of an extraordinary personality, whose exemplarity has had a profound impact on young generations”

Last edited:
Really nice to see the duchess at the British Embassy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom