Prince Gabriel, Prince Emmanuel & Princess Eléonore: News & Events, Oct. 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are an extremely bonded, close knit family who take every occasion to refer to themselves a "team".

Since none of the children are married or in serious relationships(that we know of)why would it be a surprise that they still go on holidays as a family?

Because they presumably have friends they like to hang out with as well. Although considering both E&G were and are studying abroad, perhaps they see being home as family time. The fact none of the snoopy press have published them hanging out or partying with people is yet another odd thing.

Elisabeth is living in Oxford nowadays and took a month-long summer camp, so it makes sense she also wants to spend some time with her family over the summer.

And they might still also spend some time with friends outside of this family holiday.

Hey, i have a question, what would happen if, per se, one of the princes were to renounce all of his tittles in the Belgian royal family, would Gabriel still be called, ''of Belgium''? would he start using ''of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha'' or would he adopt a new suname?

I don’t know if there is a scenario for that.

The last royal who broke all relations with the family is Princess Marie-Christine and she didn’t change her name.

But every Belgian can change their family name if they want to and meet certain requierments.
You need a serious motivation and the new name you chose may not lead to confusion or damage you or someone else.
The King had to approve (not just for royals but for all Belgians) and every demand is reviewed individually.

Hey, i have a question, what would happen if, per se, one of the princes were to renounce all of his tittles in the Belgian royal family, would Gabriel still be called, ''of Belgium''? would he start using ''of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha'' or would he adopt a new suname?

Gabriel is a Prince of Belgium by virtue of being a grandson of King Albert II under Art. 2 of the Royal Decree of 12/11/2015 . I don't think it is possible for him to "renounce" that title legally.

Even if Gabriel married without consent and were excluded from the line of succession, he would still be a Prince of Belgium since the title is not tied to succession rights.

Does anyone think it's strange that we haven't heard anything about Gabriel or Elisabeth dating anybody yet? I was going to remark about Gabriel...then I remembered his heiress sister.

We had the rumors about him and Amalia, that was it, and those all seemed to come from the Netherlands.

Is the Belgian press that discreet?
I don’t think it’s strange, I don’t think the Belgian press is fixated on them in that way yet and if there was something they would probably bring it up. Plus I think the children are discreet and not “interesting” enough for the tabloids or media to make fuss.

To tell the truth I was a little surprised that both Elisabeth and Gabriel still spend holidays with their parents and siblings (apparently in Croatia a few weeks ago)

Why? They spend a lot of time abroad studying, away from their parents and younger siblings. Elisabeth had engagements and the summer camp in July so probably they profited of the time off to be with their parents. We know how close they are as a family, plus this does not mean they didn't spend time with friends (Philippe was spotted in Italy alone with Emmanuel and some of their cousins from Luxembourg, so...)

Does anyone think it's strange that we haven't heard anything about Gabriel or Elisabeth dating anybody yet? I was going to remark about Gabriel...then I remembered his heiress sister.

We had the rumors about him and Amalia, that was it, and those all seemed to come from the Netherlands.

Is the Belgian press that discreet?

We only found out about Amedeo dating Lili when they were REALLY serious (and much older than E&G are now), same for Laura or Joachim, their relationships came to light when they were in their late 20s, not when they were 18/20.

I think that's the norm for this RF, to be as discreet as possible.

We only found out about Amedeo dating Lili when they were REALLY serious (and much older than E&G are now), same for Laura or Joachim, their relationships came to light when they were in their late 20s, not when they were 18/20.

I think that's the norm for this RF, to be as discreet as possible.

I don't see why there should be any genuine news interest in knowing whom a 18-year-old boy who is still in school is dating.

A belated welcome to the forum, Notsamuel. :flowers:

Questions and discussions concerning surnames are generally moved to the thread Titles of the Belgian Royal Family as the questions of royal titles and royal surnames are almost impossible to separate. If you are interested, I recommend searching or asking in that thread.

But as a brief summary, the legal surname of the male-line descendants of Leopold I (the first king of Belgium) is controversial. Some legal and royal experts contend that it is "of Saxe-Coburg", others contend that it is "of Belgium", and some even argue that they legally possess no surname at all. Although the Princes and Princesses of Belgium informally use "of Belgium" as a surname when attending school and conducting their professional lives, King Philippe considers his legal surname to be "of Saxe-Coburg", and he issued a royal decree in 2015 purporting to clarify the family name - however, most experts have commented that the decree merely added to the confusion, instead of clarifying it. The Brussels Court of Appeals concurred with the king's position and changed Delphine Boël's legal surname to "of Saxe-Coburg" when it decreed her the legal daughter of King Albert II in 2020.

Should you or anyone have further questions or comments, this can be continued in the Titles and Styles thread.

It seems Amedeo and Lili's relationship was known earlier, albeit not confirmed until their engagement.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...1-july-2014-present-37162-11.html#post2485512

:previous: The Amadeo/Lili relationship only came to light when it was a serious, solid relationship and he was much older than Gabriel was the OP's point. None of Amadeo's previous gf's were ever public as far as I am aware.

I hope it will be the same for Gabriel and Elisabeth.

Last edited:
I don't see why there should be any genuine news interest in knowing whom a 18-year-old boy who is still in school is dating.

Well, I have... : It is Monarchy godamit, a Prince! And only 18? Old enough to fight in the trenches!

It really matters very little whether there is "news interest" or not. Both he and his sister are public figures and adults, we live in a social media age, and the fact that there has been NO report on either of their social lives (not even platonically, not even someone's unofficial cell phone photos, not even thirdhand gossip) while we know a relatively great deal about their counterparts in other countries... is weird.

Did Philippe cut a deal on the way-down low with the Belgian media we haven't heard about? Apparently Gabriel and Elisabeth are so well-behaved and uninteresting that even the Brits couldn't find anything.

It really matters very little whether there is "news interest" or not. Both he and his sister are public figures and adults, we live in a social media age, and the fact that there has been NO report on either of their social lives (not even platonically, not even someone's unofficial cell phone photos, not even thirdhand gossip) while we know a relatively great deal about their counterparts in other countries... is weird.

Did Philippe cut a deal on the way-down low with the Belgian media we haven't heard about? Apparently Gabriel and Elisabeth are so well-behaved and uninteresting that even the Brits couldn't find anything.
Elisabeth and Gabriel are “boring” for some media. Also the Belgium monarchy isn’t that well-known.

Well, I have... : It is Monarchy godamit, a Prince! And only 18? Old enough to fight in the trenches!
Well Gabriel isn’t the heir and I think the Belgian media has a different approach when it comes to their royals in some respects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even if Philippe had cut a deal with the press that would have no impact on the social media that you write about in the first paragraph.

Even if Philippe had cut a deal with the press that would have no impact on the social media that you write about in the first paragraph.

Right. Or the British media, presumably.

Which is why this 'Belgian blackout' is so strange for many a reason. Are there even anodyne pics of them socializing with friends anywhere?

Are there any posters here who follow Belgian royal gossip on social media exhaustively enough that they can attest to whether thirdhand rumors, unofficial cell phone photos, etc., exist in the shadows? There remains a proliferation of royal news and rumors which do not reach TRF, especially since the forum rules include limitations on posting unsubstantiated gossip.

No pictures of the royal children for the first day of school.
The Walloon system changed and started a week earlier, the Flemish region kept the 1st of September. Maybe that is the reason.
Off course Elisabeth and Gabriel also have different dates to start the new school year.

On Friday, Prince Gabriël, 19, will receive his blue beret from his father.
He has completed his 6-week military initiation phase and can now start at the Royal Military School.

Queen Mathilde and Princess Elisabeth will be in attendance.

Twitter - Wim Dehandschutter

Seeing him in uniform gives me goosebumps. He is all grown up now [emoji22] not a teenager anymore.

Do we know what time the ceremony is going to be?

He is much slimmer now (probably lost considerable weight to get fit for military training). I barely recognized him in uniform and with the military-style short hair.

He is much slimmer now (probably lost considerable weight to get fit for military training). I barely recognized him in uniform and with the military-style short hair.
Not only he did indeed lost weight, he also put some muscles on.

Anyway we can see Gabriel is using Van Saksen Coburg as "surname", unlike his sister who went for "van Belgie".
The royal reporter Win Deshandschutter explained it is because Saxe Coburg is the recognized family name (as per the art. 85 of the Constitution), but Elisabeth used van Belgie instead to symbolically underline her status of her to the throne and in continuity with her father's choice.

Seeing him in uniform gives me goosebumps. He is all grown up now [emoji22] not a teenager anymore.

Do we know what time the ceremony is going to be?

Same here. One day he was a sweet little boy sobbing at Queen Fabiola's funeral Mass....and then seemingly overnight he is a handsome very tall young man.

His sisters seem.to have grown up overnight as well.

Not only he did indeed lost weight, he also put some muscles on.

Anyway we can see Gabriel is using Van Saksen Coburg as "surname", unlike his sister who went for "van Belgie".
The royal reporter Win Deshandschutter explained it is because Saxe Coburg is the recognized family name (as per the art. 85 of the Constitution), but Elisabeth used van Belgie instead to symbolically underline her status of her to the throne and in continuity with her father's choice.

I noticed that as well. I don't really understand the reasoning between the difference between the two siblings.

I noticed that as well. I don't really understand the reasoning between the difference between the two siblings.

I agree. Moreover, Elisabeth was "Elisabeth Brabant" during her studies in Wales.
I can't help but looking at this difference in the light of the recent changes in the other European Royal Houses, which are trying, in a way or another, to distinguish between the direct line of succesion and the other members of the royal family.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom