Philippe & Mathilde's Visit to Russia : 26 June - 1 July 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
johann said:
With all this humans a whole world went down - their laughter, their dreams, their hopes…

That is a very beautiful way of describing the profound sense of loss and despair such tragedies engender -- to the parents, especially, the world goes dark. How very, very sad. And I also agree -- something does need to be done in our world. It seems out of control with violence. We need more example like the King of Thailand who stressed the kindness each one is responsible for contributing to the whole, or something to that effect.

Back to Philippe and Mathilde, I wonder if we will see much more about this trip. Without sounding callous to the tragedy in Belgium, I hope they are able to complete the goals of their trip after all the hard work I am sure they have done to prepare for it.

I like Mathilde's grey dress a lot , and also her hair is beautiful

aww, mathilde always manages to look so princessy all the time.

she reminded me in those pictures of diana...

Christo's Girl said:
Really, these two are just the classiest of the Crown Couples, especially Mathilde. The more I see her the more I am impressed by her beauty, intelligence and humilty.

i couldn't agree more. They seem very close and it's lovely to see their love and devotion to each other. imo she's one of the most regal and elegant royal ladies on the forum.
my sincere sympathy to those dear girls family and the Belgian nation, the world's gone mad and the innocent always pay the highest price.

Mathilde and Philippe attended a reception for the Belgian delegation and their Russian hosts at the Metropole Hotel in Moscow yesterday. Most of the pics are too tiny to be “good-looking”, but at least the give some impressions. And Mathilde´s dress looks nice. (picturedesk, profimedia)

several more picture of Philippe & Mathilde at Red Square (by Kurov Alexander)

Thank you all for the great photos. Any idea where the reception was held yesterday? The ceiling of that space is quite impressive.

Emily said:
Thank you all for the great photos. Any idea where the reception was held yesterday? The ceiling of that space is quite impressive.
It´s the Metropol Hall inside the Hotel Metropol (***** of course and don´t take a look at the prices…)

Last edited:
20060628 - MOSCOW, RUSSIA : Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde attend a reception for the Belgian delegation and Russian guests at the Metropole hotel of Moscow, Wednesday 28 June 2006. Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde are leading a 1-week long economic mission.

20060628 - MOSCOW, RUSSIA : Prince Philippe (R) and Princess Mathilde are pictured during a meeting with Mr Luzhkov, Mayor of Moscow, at the Moscow city hall, Wednesday 28 June 2006.
th_79618_p4540337_206lo.jpg

another one from belgapic

Princess Mathilde is looking really wonderful on this visit, Thanks for all the pics.

I agree Blyton. Thanks for the beautiful photos. They are such a marvelous couple.

I have to echo the above sentiments. I absolutely love this couple. I just adore the picture above where Phillipe is looking at Mathilde as they are pictured in front of the Cathedral in Red Square.
Elegant. Are they coming home today as it was announced that they are cutting short their visit to Russia?
Linda 81

Thank you for the information on where the event was held. Since that space is in a hotel, I am not too surprised it is a pricy venue!! These pictures are beautiful. Linda, I think they were cutting short their walk through Red Square, not their whole visit.

Last edited:
I know alot of people, especially those at HELLO magazine think that Mary is the most stylish Crown Princess, but I have to disagree. Mathilde looks wonderful in Russia. I love her style!

Prince Philippe (R) visits the Kazan Kremlin and meets with Mintimer Shaimiev (C), President of the Republic of Tatarstan, Thursday 29 June 2006, in Kazan, Tatarstan on the last day of the Belgian economic mission to Russia.

from belga

Attachments

• PICTURE_060629214512_1.jpg
    PICTURE_060629214512_1.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 391
Prince Philippe made an excursion to Karzan, the capital of the Russian Republic Tatastan today. He visited the Mosque and the Cathedral there and met with President Shaimiev (see Fanletizia´s post above). Princess Mathilde departed to Belgium. It seems the Crown princes share the same unkind fate: No wife near by – no pics in sight ;-)

So here are more pics from …. yesterday. (Belga)

Any more pictures of Philippe in Kazan?

Mathilde looked absolutely wonderful during this trip!

CP Mathilde - there's no words to describe her beauty, grace and elegance...
She is one classy lady and together with CP Philippe, they make one classy and great team. It's so touching and heartwarming to see their love and devotion to each other from their body language and actions.

And i love her choice of outfits - so timless and beautiful.

thanks so much for everyone who posted pictures!

Princess Mathide is getting more and more elegant everytime I see her pictures.So much grace and poise and her dress sense is getting better and better but I believe she is beautiful inside too in order to radiate so much serenity and compassion.She is one princess I had grown very fond of.

Finally some pictures from Kazak
Arrival and visiting the Mosque and the Cathedral

Taking some pictures to show Mathilde what she is missing

from Belgapic

June 29, 2006

KAZAN, TATARSTAN: Belgium's Prince Philippe attends a meeting between Belgian and Tatarstan businessmen in the Kazan Fair Center in Tatarstan, Thursday 29 June 2006.

ST PETERSBURG, RUSSIA: Belgium's Prince Philippe drinks a glass of beer at the ending cocktail of the trading mission with the Belgian Royals in Russia, Thursday 29 June 2006 in St-Petersburg

Attachments

• p4545084.jpg
    p4545084.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 321
  • p4545085.jpg
    p4545085.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 195
  • p4545086.jpg
    p4545086.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 312
  • p4545087.jpg
    p4545087.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 296
20060630 - MOSCOW, RUSSIA
Prince Philippe of Belgium (L) shakes hands with Russian President Vladimir Putin (R) prior to a bilateral meeting, Friday 30 June 2006, in Moscow.

Attachments

• p4550157.jpg
    p4550157.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 215
  • p4550161.jpg
    p4550161.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 206
  • p4550297.jpg
    p4550297.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 214
  • p4550300.jpg
    p4550300.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 221
  • p4550337.jpg
    p4550337.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 352
  • p4550340.jpg
    p4550340.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 209
several more of Philippe & Mathilde at the Red Square (from wireimage)

Last edited:
An interview with Filip from "Het Laatste Nieuws", 1-2 July 2006.

"I'm very proud of what Mathilde does for me"

MOSCOW- "I'm here to see happy people", says prince Filip on the last night of the trade mission to Russia, and it looks like he succeeded in what he set out to do. The businessmen are enthusiastic -"The prince was prepared a lot better than in South-Africa"- and the press is glad as well that the princely silence has been broken. Still Filip would rather not hear talks about a 'new wind'. "This is an old, powerful palace wind, 8 Beaufort"

There were some complaints on your previous mission, to South Africa. People blamed you for not being intrested. Do you think the criticism was just?
"It's up to you to decide about that. The businessmen that I have spoken with, seemed very satisfied anyway."

Here in Russia it seemed for a moment as though you didn't want to talk to us anymore?
"The first days I had various short conversations with members of the press. But when we heard about the tragic news from Belgium (that Stacy and Nathalie had been found murdered), we thought it would be better to stay silent. The princess and I reacted in the first place as parents. We're here for the people in the first place, not to focus the attention on ourselves. When something happens, people really need support."

Talking about parenthood: princess Mathilde flew home a day earlier to be present for princess Elisabeth's last day of school. Didn't you feel sorry you couldn't be here as well?
"I can't just fly back before the program is finished. The most important is that one of us was present at the closure of the schoolyear. It's important for a child: the last day is just as important as the first."

How important is the presence of princess Mathilde at a mission like this one?
"I'm very glad when she's there so we can divide the tasks. The princess has specific talents and inerests, and starting from those points also works in other fields. At missions like this one it's my choice to enhance the image of our country, and when Mathilde comes along she helps me with it. I'm very proud of her, and of all the things she does for me. I know I can trust her a 100%."

You and the princess usually have a separate agenda. Do you talk at night about what you each saw and did during the day?
"When we have the time, yes. But you know our program: it's very busy. Sometimes we get the chance to talk about it in the car, when we're on our way to a next visit. And otherwise afterwards, when the mission is over."

How do you look back on this trip to Russia, and what's your impression of the coutry?
"I think Russia is a very intresting country. I know it well, and I'm very charmed by it. I'm convinced that this time as well we managed to make useful contacts and book results. I think we've made anther step foward in placing belgium on the map, and that's what matters. I'm very satisfied."

What were the highlights for you on this mission?
"I think the mission was a big success in the whole. The meeting with the mayor of Moscow has given us a lot of results, and also the way we were received in Kazan has impressed me. Of course we shoudn't forget the talks with gass supplier Gasprom. And I also expect a lot of the meeting with president Putin tomorrow."

Going back to the Belgian news: are you worried about the ongoing violence in our society?
(chooses his words carefully)" In the first place we feel very much for he victims as individuals. We don't want to jump to conclusion too quickly. Of course violence is aways negative. An ideal world is a society where people can be happy. I do my best to get us going on that way by placing Belgium on the map and contributng to the employment."

Thank you for this interview. May we hope that we will get the same chances at the next mission?
"Who knows. Or we might just do something alltogether different." (laughs)

HILDE SABBE

Thanks for the translation Hannelore. Finally a good explanation why Mathilde went back earlier. They are wonderful team and this mission really went smooth. Who would have thought ten years ago, that Philippe can be such a perfect and open hearted husband?

martha-louise said:
At http://www.vtm.be/nieuws/index_bekijkonline.htm maandag 26/6/06 19 u you can see a part of the interview the prince and the princess gave before they left. It will start at 18.00 min. (It's followed by the birthdayparty of the queen of England.)

Also on 27/06/06 19u at about 20.40 there is a smal video. At the end the reporter told that although Philip and Mathilde won't see eachother much during this mission, the prince brought some flowers. You can see the nice gesture of Mathilde after she received them.
My computer sucks, and it's not working as it should (one of these days I'm throwing it out the window), so I haven't been able to see the nice gesture Mathilde made after receiving the flowers. Could anyone please tell me what it was?Also thank you to everyone, who has posted pictures and everything else.

I wonder if any poster could tell me what the press made of this visit? There was some critisism about Filips last economic mission, which caused the prince and his advisors to look for a way which would be more effective in the future. Did the serious press comment on it at all? Or do they just ignore positive news about their royals (the flemish press can be rather cynical and unfair towards them).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom