P. Elisabeth, P. Gabriël, P. Emmanuel and P. Eléonore - News and Pictures Part 3

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose she will not come back for royal events in Belgium
and Gabriel don't like them...

I suppose she will not come back for royal events in Belgium
and Gabriel don't like them...

I think she will continue to attend the National Day celebrations as they take place in the summer during school vacation.

They want to make me cry, that's for sure!!! :cry::cry::cry:
The picture with the all the kids is such a beautiful one, they are so close, which is such a breath of fresh air in comparison to the relation the current king has with his own siblings. Anyway, I bet no picture was released with her parents are they were too emotional for sure :lol: !!!

Love these photos. Obviously Elisabeth is the big sister and everyone loves her:p.

So lovely ! So likeable and beautiful children !

Those pictures put a lump in my throat! The Belgian Royal children are so beautiful and close..I remember when each of them were born and now big sister is leaving the nest!

What a sweet idea to show her siblings bidding her farewell.

Is Lisa's little dog going to Wales with her, or just turning out to bid her farewell? He looks rather sad! :sad:

Last edited:
Wonderful photos, I wish my own RF would be as generous with them. The communication manager of the Belgian court is doing a great job.

I still remember Philippe announcing a 'vrouwtje' (little woman) was born, to the hilarity of many Flemish speakers as that is not often use to describe a baby. It is hard to believe she is now old enough to stand on her own feet at the Atlantic College.

It will be a good experience for Elisabeth to live in a school dorm where she will be treated like any other girl rather than being a Crown Princess living in a royal castle.

Wonderful photos, I wish my own RF would be as generous with them. The communication manager of the Belgian court is doing a great job.

I still remember Philippe announcing a 'vrouwtje' (little woman) was born, to the hilarity of many Flemish speakers as that is not often use to describe a baby. It is hard to believe she is now old enough to stand on her own feet at the Atlantic College.

That would be Patrick Renault (assisted by, I assume, Rafike Yilmaz).

I agree that they are quite open with family pictures where we get the semiannual photo shoots/media moments.

I think it's a least part of the reason that the privacy of the BRF is so respected. They are very generous in providing regular photos and updates about the family holidays, birthdays etc. and especially their charming and immaculately behaved children.

However, with press interest in the two older ones growing(especially Elisabeth) and with Elisabeth being off the Continent in Wales and away from the control of her parents and the Court, I am wondering if things might change.:ermm:

The article mentions that the princess speaks Dutch, French, and German.

But does she not speak English at all?

I think it's a least part of the reason that the privacy of the BRF is so respected. They are very generous in providing regular photos and updates about the family holidays, birthdays etc. and especially their charming and immaculately behaved children.

However, with press interest in the two older ones growing(especially Elisabeth) and with Elisabeth being off the Continent in Wales and away from the control of her parents and the Court, I am wondering if things might change.:ermm:

The college is quite far away from the urban areas in Wales and I am sure all the privacy and security details of the institution have been studied carefully when choosing the right boarding school. I don't think paparazzi will bother her. The only problem may arise from her fellow students: youngsters are all over social medias and they may not refrain from uploading pictures of or with Elisabeth without her consent. While her closest friends (those whom she will share her room with) may be instructed about not posting things online, the danger may come from random students she may not know personally. While I am sure she won't be treated any different from her fellow students, and will be introduced as Elisabeth van Belgie or something like that, rumours may surface around the school that she is a princess and a future Queen.

Of course she does, otherwise she wouldn't be able to go to UWC at all, given classes will be in English exclusively.

I would think so, but because the article made no mention of English I just thought I'd ask...

If she didn’t speak English, she would not have been accepted to the college as the language of instruction there is English.

How nice they release some photos! lovely!

Yes I think problems may come from the peers/people in college rather than the press. (TBH I don't think the British press will be very interested about Elisabeth)

BTW do we know what name she will use in college? Is she going to use her title or something like Marchesina suggested? (I don't know does the BRF have any “surname”)

The college is quite far away from the urban areas in Wales and I am sure all the privacy and security details of the institution have been studied carefully when choosing the right boarding school. I don't think paparazzi will bother her. The only problem may arise from her fellow students: youngsters are all over social medias and they may not refrain from uploading pictures of or with Elisabeth without her consent. While her closest friends (those whom she will share her room with) may be instructed about not posting things online, the danger may come from random students she may not know personally. While I am sure she won't be treated any different from her fellow students, and will be introduced as Elisabeth van Belgie or something like that, rumours may surface around the school that she is a princess and a future Queen.

I am pretty sure everybody in her class will know who she is , i.e. a princess and a future queen. That doesn’t mean she will be treated differently from the other students. The college is used to that situation as King Wilem-Alexander also studied there when he was still the Prince of Orange.

As far as names are concerned, I suppose she will go by Elisabeth van België, or de Belgique, as in her former school in Belgium. Her legal name in Belgium is, however, HRH The Princess Élisabeth Thérèse Marie Hélène, Duchess of Brabant, Princess of Belgium.

PS: The Belgian RF’s patrilineal surname would be Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, but they dropped it after World War I.

Last edited:
Yes I think problems may come from the peers/people in college rather than the press. (TBH I don't think the British press will be very interested about Elisabeth)

BTW do we know what name she will use in college? Is she going to use her title or something like Marchesina suggested? (I don't know does the BRF have any “surname”)

Probably "Lisa Brabant" or something very normal like that.

In her Belgian school she was Elisabeth van België.
So maybe she’ll be Elisabeth of Belgium in Wales?

At St Jan Bermans college, they teach English from the second year of secondary school when you are 13/14 years old.

In her Belgian school she was Elisabeth van België.
So maybe she’ll be Elisabeth of Belgium in Wales?

At St Jan Bermans college, they teach English from the second year of secondary school when you are 13/14 years old.

She doesn't need to translate "van België" to English. In fact, "van België" would sound better IMHO as it would look like an actual "foreign name" as opposed to "of Belgium", which would be odd as a surname in English. What do you guys think ?

As for her English skills, I assume she may have had some additional private tutoring besides her regular classes at school in Belgium.

Last edited:
In reading about this beautiful young lady and the school, I went to the website of the school in Wales, what a fabulous school, this is the type that all children need to attend. They really take the child and help them grow into very productive individuals in their own right......I bet Elisabeth will be very happy there during her time for it shows how everything is done and the that the students also have time to express themselves. She will blossom and grow into a strong queen for the future .............I really like this school.....what a find it is.

She doesn't need to translate "van België" to English. In fact, "van België" would sound better IMHO as it would look like an actual "foreign name" as opposed to "of Belgium", which would be odd as a surname in English. What do you guys think ?

I agree. I mean there are many Flemish/Dutch surname starting with "van" that it would sound a normal surname.

I don't think she is fluent in German. She once read a few sentences in German from a paper in front of her. I guess that might be enough for the media to think she 'speaks' German. As almost anyone who speaks Dutch she will be able to get a rough idea what is being said and as German is spoken by a tiny part of the Belhians she might have had some classes but I'm quite sure that her English is much better than her German language skills.

I don't think she is fluent in German. She once read a few sentences in German from a paper in front of her. I guess that might be enough for the media to think she 'speaks' German. As almost anyone who speaks Dutch she will be able to get a rough idea what is being said and as German is spoken by a tiny part of the Belhians she might have had some classes but I'm quite sure that her English is much better than her German language skills.

Here is a video from 4 years ago, where she read a few sentences in flawless Dutch (well flawless Flamish Dutch as far as I can tell, as I am no native speaker) and French. The German sentence she reads out doesn't sound native to me, but it's still very easy to understand and the intonation is better than that of her father at e.g. the christmas speeches (but that may not be a fair comparison, as the christmas speeches are obviously much longer and she surely had much (more) time to practice).

Here is a short video about her short speech back then that praises her language skills (and her parents for preparing her for her multilingual role) (in Dutch): https://nieuws.vtm.be/binnenland/112774-hoe-elisabeth-12-haar-speech-oefende?
It states that Elisabeth (besides speaking French at home and Dutch at school and thus being fluent in both languages) got Germand lessons (an hour a week) for two years. That's not much, but it was four years ago- maybe she continued to learn German. I think it depends on her motivation to speak the language - as Somebody pointed out, it's not that difficult for a Dutch native to learn to understand or speak a bit German (or the other way round) - but sometimes that's why there isn't enough motivation to learn more e.g. to become really fluent in the language - because you can get around quite well with the basics and some English.

EDIT: Sorry, I got it wrong. Elisabeth HASN'T had any German lessons when she gave that speech. She just practiced the sentences. It sounds quite good for someone who doesn't speak any German.

Last edited:
Aw, these photos are just charming and made me a little emotional! I still can't believe that Elisabeth has almost finished her time at school and is on her last leg (almost) of the school system before higher education. Where does the time go?!

The photo of all four children together is my favourite; you can tell they all share a very close relationship as the atmosphere seems so natural and casual. I love how Emmanuel is kissing Elisabeth on the cheek and also how they included the little dog in both photos.

Last edited:
One thing that I do wonder about is why (some) people here say that Jeep the Westie is Elisabeth's dog.
As far as I know it's the dog of all four children.

Well one thing cannot be denied...she is unbelievably poised. Those videos of her giving speeches in multiple languages when she was barely 12-13 years old -fluent or not-are very impressive and speak for themselves.

Her parents, tutors and other 'handlers" are to be commended!

ETA Skippy I think it's possible that little Jeep is a family dog. It's just that I have only ever seen him photographed alone with Elisabeth, most notably in her official birthday photos last October.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom