P. Elisabeth, P. Gabriël, P. Emmanuel and P. Eléonore - News and Pictures Part 3

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elisabeth is rumoured to be very intelligent and bright. If she got in on her own merits it would be sad for her people think her title helped.

One public fact about the Belgian royal kids is that their parents are definitely very demanding. Mathilde for example wanted all her children to learn music (Elisabeth for example plays the piano, I think). And it was a political imperative that they be multilingual , Elisabeth and Gabriel also go to one of the best secondary schools in Belgium. But it is not all about academics. Elisabeth was also encouraged to be involved in sports and I believe she also takes ballet or dance classes and does voluntary social work. She has the type of well-rounded profile plus probably the grades that would look good in any school application

Last edited:
The interpretation is 'how you interpret the world around you'. How does this favor the rich??? The kids must demonstrate their interest in creating change in the world and exhibit how they see the world and the changes needed. I would argue that someone from a poorer background has a better leg up then someone who comes from a very posh sheltered background. Its easier for them to have seen the struggles out there, and know the changes needed among the people.

This isn't Harvard where you need grades (can throw money at it to ignore the slightly lower grades) and an essay (can have someone write it). Its vigerous interviews and presentations. Elisabeth would have been observed in group projects and activities. These aren't things one fakes with money.

And the others who were selected to attend? What did they have?

It is so pathetic that people will always brand royals as being given everything and never achieving anything. No it couldn't possibly be that she speaks three languages, plays instruments, is involved in different activities, and has the grades and drive to get into the program. Not at all. Of course it is because she is a future queen.

She is already turning into a York girl. No matter what they will ever do outside royal life, people will never think they ever earned anything.

You seem to misread my comments. I have stated multiple times that I think she qualifies, however, I am also very much aware that assessors never are neutral, so her being a princess does influence their assessment of her (at least unconciously). This is especially the case with things like interviews, presentations, group projects and activities but includes essays as well. Grades of standardized tests require less interpretation. You either meet the bar or not.

Even if schools have very well developed application processes, a lot of interpretation is required on the part of the assessor. Some bias might be concious, other bias in unconcious. It even includes things like how well did the applicant just before you perform. Or, who are your group members for group activity. Assessment is a very complex process which includes subjectivity and that will be in favor of the rich and famous but also of applicants from minirity groups that the school would like to attract, etc.

Again, many students apply of which some don't qualify and others do, most likely all who ended up in the final round qualified according to their criteria. However, they still had to make a selection among those applicants and it would be very unlikely for UWC to kick her out at that point.

Last edited:
One public fact about the Belgian kids is that their parents are definitely very demanding. Mathilde for example wanted all her children to learn music (Elisabeth for example plays the piano, I think). And it was a political imperative that they be multilingual , Elisabeth and Gabriel also go to one of the best secondary schools in Belgium. But it is not all about academics. Elisabeth was also encouraged to be involved in sports and I believe she also takes ballet or dance classes and does voluntary social work. She has the type of well-rounded profile plus probably the grades that would look good in any school application

A little remark here, the Sint-Jan Berchmanscollege in Brussels isn't "one of the best secundary schools in Belgium". I'd say about 80% of secundary schools in Belgium have a good reputation, with the criterium being a good preparation for further education or a profession. On the whole I can't even think of 'exceptionally good schools' because the level is overall quite high, academically speaking. Does this make for happier children - I don't know. Elisabeth's school however is known to have a high numbet of wealthy and aristo pupils, though not as much as her mother's school, the Vierge Fidèle.

I teach at a private (albeit US) University. I have friends that work at others. In all of these, there are a number of qualifications that are considered in the admitting/acceptance process. And the qualifications "wobble" a bit in some schools - based on the entrant. So, all manner of things are considered and schools say that they look at the WHOLE student. No one thing gets you in.

In many cases, schools have budgets for the overall portion of student aid they contribute and so this counts. But schools also usually have target percentages for non-wealthy, but worthy students. In addition to scholastic ability, the ability to succeed in outside interests is a huge factor.

In private institutions, having a Mom or Dad as an alum usually contributes as a positive factor in admission. And that makes sense; the student has good idea of the expectations and lifestyle of the U - which makes success more likely. And as Universities here are ranked and rewarded based on their graduation rate - that is important.

Often, but not in all Universities, athletes have a lower academic threshold for admission. That seems unfair - but there are good reasons student athletes can use the college experience to make up for previous academic shortcomings. Even in small private schools athletes have required, structured study time with tutors. Usually most days of the week. It's amazing how much more one learns when one actually studies.

I frankly think she got in on academic merit and personal interests and that the U loves the Alum connection and family support! Not to mention the cache.

A little remark here, the Sint-Jan Berchmanscollege in Brussels isn't "one of the best secundary schools in Belgium". I'd say about 80% of secundary schools in Belgium have a good reputation, with the criterium being a good preparation for further education or a profession. On the whole I can't even think of 'exceptionally good schools' because the level is overall quite high, academically speaking. Does this make for happier children - I don't know. Elisabeth's school however is known to have a high numbet of wealthy and aristo pupils, though not as much as her mother's school, the Vierge Fidèle.

Thanks, Hannelore. I am pretty sure the quality of Belgian schools is uniformly high, but I assume there must be some implicit ranking in terms of average grades in school-leaving state exams and percentage of pupils who go on to university. I have been told Sint-Jan Berchmanscollege is one of the top performers in those criteria. Is that true ?

Just curious. ..didn't the Count and Countess de Lannoy send Stephanie to Vierge Fidele?

Just curious. ..didn't the Count and Countess de Lannoy send Stephanie to Vierge Fidele?

Yes, according to Wikipedia.

Stéphanie attended the Dutch-language Sancta Maria de Ronse school and continued her education in Collège Saint-Odile in France. She then returned to Brussels for studies at L'Institut de la Vierge Fidèle, before taking up Russian language and literature in Moscow. She majored in German philology at Louvain-la-Neuve and also earned a master's degree in Berlin.[1] She is fluent in French, English and German.[5][6] She is able to speak a fair amount of Luxembourgish and Russian

Thanks, Hannelore. I am pretty sure the quality of Belgian schools is uniformly high, but I assume there must be some implicit ranking in terms of average grades in school-leaving state exams and percentage of pupils who go on to university. I have been told Sint-Jan Berchmanscollege is one of the top performers in those criteria. Is that true ?

There are no such rankings in Belgium. Not implicit either, because what would that be based upon?

Elisabeth's school is known because it is a Dutch speaking school in a largely francophone neighbourhood. Lots of French speaking parents in Brussels (rich or not) send their children to a Dutch speaking school, and vice versa, so as to benefit from living in a multilingual environment without too much effort. The Sint-Jan Berchmanscolleges (they also exist in other cities) are generally liked by parents who are concerned by their children growning up among a certain social class. They also have the reputation of offering good academic schooling in the very classical way of learning by heart, reading the classics etc etc. - just like the reputation most other secundary schools have where sciences, Latin and modern languages are taught.

If most of the pupils who studied at Sint-Jan Berchmans go on to university, that's because that's what this kind of secundary schooling is specifically aimed at, and because the children come from backgrounds where their parents expect them to do so.

It is important to know that there are different levels in secondary education (in Belgium but also in the Netherlsnds and in Germany). Schools offer different tracks, ASO for students that are preparing for research university (academic bachelor), TSO for students preparing for other types of higher education (professional bachelor; those institutions are not considered universities) and KSO for students who are aiming at community college/further education or look for a job.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong, Belgian members)

Regarding this specific school, it is known for attendancs by upper class, not necessarily because their ASO students have better grades. Somehow in the low countries rankings aren't a focus (just like there is only a very limited ranking between the universities that doesn't really impact where students decide to study as the term 'university' itself is restricted). The only relevant distinction is between the small group of low performing schools and all others. So, as Hannelore already explained schools mijght distinguish themselves by what they focus on (additional languages or more technical subjects or bilingual education) not on ranking/quality.

Graduation rates are also of minor importance as almost all students graduate from high school (because of the different levels/tracks); some students might take one more year to do so but only a limited number does not graduate at all.

Thanks for your explanation, Somebody. You're absolutely right.

According to VTM nieuws Elisabeth is 1 out of 12 Belgian students who were selected (by the Belgian committee) for UWC. The fee for two years is about 66.000 euros.

She would normally have graduated high school in one more year, so going to UWC also extends her time in high school by one year.

Happy 10th Birthday to Princess Eleonore!!

"Bedankt voor uw verjaardagswensen!
Merci pour vos vœux d'anniversaire!
Danke für Ihre Geburtstagswünsche!
Thank you for your birthday wishes!"

https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=954d88fb6f5640566be4cd6c2f1b0dfc&oe=5B620EE8

She's such a tremendous beauty, looks a lot like a mini-Mathilde but with Philippe's eyes :flowers:
I can totally imagine the King being unable to say no to Eleonore when she looks at him with puppy dog eyes :lol:

She's such a tremendous beauty, looks a lot like a mini-Mathilde but with Philippe's eyes :flowers:
I can totally imagine the King being unable to say no to Eleonore when she looks at him with puppy dog eyes :lol:

All the kids will be heartthrobs in a few years...oh,well, Elisabeth probably already is.

:previous: Not to mention her brother Gabriel. .he could pass for a Burberry model, imo. ;)

All the kids will be heartthrobs in a few years...oh,well, Elisabeth probably already is.

Well, they did have genetics on their side, because both their parents are really good-looking, their grandmothers are still beautiful at their old age, etc. :D

Wow, Eleonore is growing up to be a beauty! She has gorgeous eyes in particular. I can't believe she's ten already; I hope she had a lovely birthday.
She looks a lot like her sister Elisabeth but I also see Mathilde in her eyes.

I really like Elisabeth's new statue and it's interesting that she has one. Have there been any statues of the BRF in modern times such as this one? I wonder if Elisabeth will visit her statue one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is turning into a handsome man!

I can't believe Gabriel is 15 already! He's a very handsome young man indeed and I agree that he looks a lot like Mathilde, especially around the eyes.

When is P.Elisabeth starting her school year in Wales? Do you think we will get any picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom