P. Elisabeth, P. Gabriël, P. Emmanuel and P. Eléonore - News and Pictures Part 3

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't expect this news but her cousins also complete(d) secondary school in the UK, so that's on me. Is it a common move among the Belgian nobility?

I think in her future position she will have to speak perfect English....And of course she will get a certain freedom lovely to a girl her age !

Congratulations to Elisabeth. Those are very competitive schools to get into, and not simply academically. All the steps to get accepted, quite an accomplishment.

While it is good for her English, which will help in the future, goes above that. The school focusses on bringing students from different countries and cultures together, to teach them to communicate and work together. This seems like a very smart educational focus for a future queen.

It likely also will be nice for her to get out of Belgium and away from the press. She will just be Elisabeth there.

Didn't expect this news but her cousins also complete(d) secondary school in the UK, so that's on me. Is it a common move among the Belgian nobility?

All but Maria Laura who didn't go to the UK for school until university.

Attending boarding school, whether in the UK or in Switzerland, is still quite popular among many of the continental royals. Sevenoaks, the school attended by Amedeo and Luisa Maria was also attended by Elizabeth von Thurn and taxis. Joachim went to the same school (Malvern) as Ernst August JR and Christian, the hereditary prince of Hohenzollern, Joseph Wenzel of Lichtenstein.

Let's just hope the UK media stay away

AC is in the middle of nowhere, she should be fine. Any paparazzi would be spotted from a mile away because they would be so out of place.

The young Duchess of Brabant is obviously very bright and displays a poise well beyond her sixteen years. Her parents...heck ANY parent..would burst with pride at her.

Still it's going to be a wrench for their Majesties when she leaves. She seems particularly close to Philippe.

Interesting. I know a couple of people who have gone to UWCs, including one who went to the school Elisabeth will attend. It really is in the middle of nowhere, at least by the standards of UK reporters and photographers based in London, so I doubt she’ll be bothered by the press at all.

For those who can afford it, yes. No noble parent wants to see their children study only in Belgium, and the rich Belgian aristocrat families all send their children abroad, usually once the university years start. N° 1 country of choice is Britain, but they're also attending higher education in the US, France, Germany, Italy... As long as the school is renowned and the network interesting enough. Brexit or not, London and the rest of Britain remain a huge attraction pole for many Europeans and the English language is a real must.

Curiously it are the Lux royal children who attended obscure catholic institutions in the US and the Habsburg offspring who were sent to other obscure catholic schools in Eastern Europe.

As for Astrid's children:
- Amedeo was a boarder at Sevenoaks and then moved on to the London School of Economics. He moved to New York for work and also did extra studying there. Now he's a private banker in Switzerland (with his father?)
- Laura finished secundary school in Brussels and then studied Chinese in Paris and London. She did an internship at the UN in New York and worked for Vuitton in China. Then she moved back to London to study at the School for Oriental Studies. No idea what she's up to now, but she's living in London.
- Joachim was a boarder at Malvern & studied economics at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy.
- Luisa was a boarder at Sevenoaks and is now doing a masters at McGill, Montreal, Canada.
- Laetitia is currently a boarder at Sevenoaks.
It's clear Astrid's family doesn't lack any funds.

Laurent's kids are all at a Lycée Français in Belgium.

Last edited:
:previous: I believe Laetitia attends Bromsgrove, not Sevenoaks.

Laurent's eldest is only 14, the same age as Astrid's kids started going to boarding school. Will have to see if his daughter remains in Belgium or goes abroad.

I think its good that Elisabeth gets the opportunity now. When she is older and has royal duties, she wont have so much freedom. Her cousins, and even her younger siblings will have the chance to go to school and possibly work abroad. She may be able to go to college abroad later, but she will always be limited. Yes there is a lot of travel in being heir and eventually queen, but not the same kind of freedom she will enjoy now.

Willem-Alexander has always spoken with admiration about his years in Llantwit Major (Co Glamorgan, Wales). No idea if the Duchess of Brabant will go to that location as well, but it is very remote indeed and W-A -away from palace staff, pushing parents and intrusive media- loved it. I am sure Princess Elisabeth will have a great time as well!

Of course the usual negative comments in Belgian social media, but I think this step is an excellent one. Free from the eternal pressure in Belgium. Explore a new world. Use English day by day. Discover your own personality.

I actually symoathize with the Belgian people in their negative reaction. The natural course would have been for Elisabeth to finish secondary school in a Dutch-speaking school, then go to university (probably a French-speaking one ) in Belgium, and later get a master’s degree overseas llike her father who went to Stanford University in California. Going to boarding school now in the UK is premature and unnecessary.

Last edited:
I'm actually so annoyed, I literally applied to UWC through the US NC, made it to the last round but got rejected sadly. Atlantic College was may first choice as well. I could have become friends with HRH. But I am happy for her, the school is an experience like no other. Hopefully she will be my second year.

Can you tell us what was asked of you when you applied? So we get an idea what the admission tests are like?

I too would have loved to take the step when I was a teenager, so I can imagine you were disappointed. Good luck next time!

I actually symoathize with the Belgian people in their negative reaction. The natural course would have been for Elisabeth to finish secondary school in a Dutch-speaking school, then go to university (probably a French-speaking one ) in Belgium, and later get a master’s degree overseas llike her father who went to Stanford University in California. Going to boarding school now in the UK is premature and unnecessary.

"the Belgian people" don't have a negative reaction about a bright young girl using her talents and studying abroad. The negativity on social media is the same as it ever was: jealousy, ignorance, money.

Belgium is an international environment where the knowledge of several languages is more than stimulated, European exchanges between students are also a part of the curriculum for most students in higher education (Erasmus/Comenius etc.)

Judging from a sample of reactions in Belgian newspapers comment sections, I would say it is mostly negative. They are complaining that it will cost 25,000 euros/ year and that Belgian schools are not “good enough” for the princess.

Some headlines even used dramatic language llike Princess Elisabeth quits / leaves Belgium” to go to school in Wales.

Last edited:
Congratulations, you found negative online comments about money.

Aren’t the complaints against the Belgian royals usually about money ? Anyway, the Palace said that the King would personally foot the bill.

For those who can afford it, yes. No noble parent wants to see their children study only in Belgium, and the rich Belgian aristocrat families all send their children abroad, usually once the university years start. N° 1 country of choice is Britain, but they're also attending higher education in the US, France, Germany, Italy... As long as the school is renowned and the network interesting enough. Brexit or not, London and the rest of Britain remain a huge attraction pole for many Europeans and the English language is a real must.

Curiously it are the Lux royal children who attended obscure catholic institutions in the US and the Habsburg offspring who were sent to other obscure catholic schools in Eastern Europe.

- Amedeo was a boarder at Sevenoaks and then moved on to the London School of Economics. He moved to New York for work and also did extra studying there. Now he's a private banker in Switzerland (with his father?)
- Laura finished secundary school in Brussels and then studied Chinese in Paris and London. She did an internship at the UN in New York and worked for Vuitton in China. Then she moved back to London to study at the School for Oriental Studies. No idea what she's up to now, but she's living in London.
- Joachim was a boarder at Malvern & studied economics at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy.
- Luisa was a boarder at Sevenoaks and is now doing a masters at McGill, Montreal, Canada.

Judging from a sample of reactions in Belgian newspapers comment sections, I would say it is mostly negative. They are complaining that it will cost 25,000 euros/ year and that Belgian schools are not “good enough” for the princess.

Some headlines even used dramatic language llike Princess Elisabeth quits / leaves Belgium” to go to school in Wales.

Thanks, I wondered why so many of the younger royals studied at English boarding schools and what primarily provoked the negative reactions. Any negative reactions when Princess Astrid's children were sent abroad for their education or when Prince Laurent's children were enrolled at the Lycée Français?

It seems quite a different story to do your university education abroad compared to doing part of your secondary education abroad. The first being far more common than the second.

We'll see whether Elisabeth's siblings will also attend boarding school in the future and whether Laurent's children (with a British grandfather and mother) will do the same.

I agree that doing part of your university studies abroad is now common in Europe and actually encouraged. For Elisabeth, it would probably be mandatory anyway to spend some time overseas as an undergraduate i(bachelor’s) or graduste (master’s) student. Some people might think it may be premature , however, for her to do so while still in High School. To be fair though, other heirs have done it too: W-A went to the same boarding school in Wales and I think Felipe of Spain was in Canada for a while as a High School student.

Last edited:
Incidentally, if the Belgian papers are right, Elisabeth will be the first heir to the Belgian crown to finish secondary school abroad.

I agree that doing part of your university studies abroad is now common in Europe and actually encouraged. For Elisabeth, it would probably be mandatory anyway to spend some time overseas as an undergraduate i(bachelor’s) or graduste (master’s) student. Some people might think it may be premature , however, for her to do so while still in High School. To be fair though, other heirs have done it too: W-A went to the same boarding school in Wales and I think Felipe of Spain was in Canada for a while as a High School student.

In Willem-Alexander's case it was explained as a 'necessity' as he and his parents didn't get along that well at that time. His younger brothers didn't follow his example!

So, quite different from this case - unless Elisabeth will explain at a later point that there is more behind this decision (I don't expect that to be the case).

"the Belgian people" don't have a negative reaction about a bright young girl using her talents and studying abroad. The negativity on social media is the same as it ever was: jealousy, ignorance, money.

Belgium is an international environment where the knowledge of several languages is more than stimulated, European exchanges between students are also a part of the curriculum for most students in higher education (Erasmus/Comenius etc.)
As a Belgian myself I completely and utterly agree with you !

With a lot of public response on social media and such it seems to be the term 'boarding school'. There is such a negative connotation for many people, even if the boarding school was in the same country. Rich people sending their kids off so they don't have to raise them.

Studying abroad is nothing new. Exchange programs have been around for decades. The difference being here that it isn't an exchange, but actually going away to a foreign school to do her complete education.

The expense of the school and the question of 'they get into these schools only because of who they are' adds to it. But UWC is different. This is a school one cant buy their way into, its very competitive, and she definitely earned her place there. The school offers scholarships to any student who gets accepted to attend, so monetary concern is not a part here either.

I actually think its a good idea for other royal kids. Even if just a semester, to get experience abroad. Especially in royal families where boarding school is common. Give them some experience in another country.

Congratulations to Elisabeth on passing her entrance test - I'm guessing the Dutch media got her confused with Amalia when they reported that Amalia was attending a similar programme in China. I hope she enjoys her time at her new school in Wales; it sounds like a great experience. I don't have a problem with royals going to study abroad because it helps them gain great skills and understanding. Elisabeth will not only get to learn about Welsh life and life in the UK but also life internationally as there will be students from many different countries at the school.

The expense of the school and the question of 'they get into these schools only because of who they are' adds to it. But UWC is different. This is a school one cant buy their way into, its very competitive, and she definitely earned her place there. The school offers scholarships to any student who gets accepted to attend, so monetary concern is not a part here either.

While I assume that she qualified, I am not completely sure that her title and position had no influence at all. There are other schools 'very competitive' schools and universities where 'you cannot buy your way into' in which somehow the children of heads of states are treated differently and get into in higher degrees than you would expect based on normal admission criteria.

They wouldn't accept someone that would be completely unfit for a school but they would have a harder time turning a princess down than other applicants. At least some of the criteria require some 'interpretation' which is in favor of the rich and famous.

:previous:

I am not sure I agree that there are schools that one cannot buy the way into, or use ones' clout.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Wharton....four of the most prestigious institutions of higher learning on the planet.

And for each one I can think of famous, well off, not exceedingly bright individuals who were accepted once wheels were greased.

And no, in the interest of not wanting to instigate a nasty fight here I won't name these famous(infamous?) alumni.:cool:

ETA: I do not believe that is the case for Elisabeth Brabant at all. She seems smart, preternaturally poised, and disciplined. The fact that she is a future queen didn't hurt but I think it's just icing on an already well prepared cake.

Her school record is obviously private, but, from what I have heard over the years about the Duchess of Brabant, she seems to do well academically and her school in Belgium is known to have very high standards.

I guess that, if she were a below average student, as frankly some royals are known to have been in the past, we would already have heard something about it by now. Furthermore, if she were not acdemically inclined, I doubt she would have applied to a demanding IB program as the one she is enrolling in. So, I have no doubt that she earned her admission by merit.

Last edited:
To be a student immersed in the Southern Welsh landscape is a wonderful opportunity for Elisabeth. Her siblings will miss her but love to visit.
Perhaps Willem Alexander's daughter, Catharina-Amalia, will attend the same school.

I agree. I have no reason to think that she did not meet the criteria. However, there were most likely more students than places to fill, so not all students who met all criteria were accepted. For that part of the process being the future queen of Belgium certainly helped.

While I assume that she qualified, I am not completely sure that her title and position had no influence at all. There are other schools 'very competitive' schools and universities where 'you cannot buy your way into' in which somehow the children of heads of states are treated differently and get into in higher degrees than you would expect based on normal admission criteria.

They wouldn't accept someone that would be completely unfit for a school but they would have a harder time turning a princess down than other applicants. At least some of the criteria require some 'interpretation' which is in favor of the rich and famous.

The interpretation is 'how you interpret the world around you'. How does this favor the rich??? The kids must demonstrate their interest in creating change in the world and exhibit how they see the world and the changes needed. I would argue that someone from a poorer background has a better leg up then someone who comes from a very posh sheltered background. Its easier for them to have seen the struggles out there, and know the changes needed among the people.

This isn't Harvard where you need grades (can throw money at it to ignore the slightly lower grades) and an essay (can have someone write it). Its vigerous interviews and presentations. Elisabeth would have been observed in group projects and activities. These aren't things one fakes with money.

I agree. I have no reason to think that she did not meet the criteria. However, there were most likely more students than places to fill, so not all students who met all criteria were accepted. For that part of the process being the future queen of Belgium certainly helped.

And the others who were selected to attend? What did they have?

It is so pathetic that people will always brand royals as being given everything and never achieving anything. No it couldn't possibly be that she speaks three languages, plays instruments, is involved in different activities, and has the grades and drive to get into the program. Not at all. Of course it is because she is a future queen.

She is already turning into a York girl. No matter what they will ever do outside royal life, people will never think they ever earned anything.

This isn't Harvard where you need grades (can throw money at it to ignore the slightly lower grades) and an essay (can have someone write it). Its vigerous interviews and presentations. Elisabeth would have been observed in group projects and activities. These aren't things one fakes with money.

Um, actually as someone who just completed the application process for UWC, I can say that grades and essays, a MAJOR part of the written application, are equally as important for selection against interviews and presentations. They show the National Committee what to expect in an applicant and set the mood for the rest of the process. Also, while she may not have been straight away placed above everybody, I am 100% sure that there was some partiality towards accepting her. The schools are all for accepting those from different backgrounds, and it is not every year a princess of Belgium applies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom