The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Congratulations to the princess. I suppose it means she will finish her secondary education abroad. The king of The Netherlands attended the same boarding school in the 80-ties.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

So I had to google this, because this college is in St Donat’s in South Wales. Now for a minute I thought it was New South Wales in Australia because I was shocked that this school was in South Wales! But it is.

So yes, it is quite removed from hustle and bustle, even Cardiff is a good 40 minutes to an hour away but it’s right on the coast.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:45 AM
Aristocracy

How interesting! So at least one princess will indeed go to a UWC college this year - just not a Dutch one
I think it's a great opportunity and I hope Elisabeth will have a fantastic time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Congratulations to the princess. I suppose it means she will finish her secondary education abroad.
Yes, they write that she wants to leave the college with the International Baccalaureat in 2020.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 AM
Majesty

Wow....good job Elisabeth!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Congratulations to the Crown Princess and lets enjoy the new chapter of her life!!!
Old 03-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Courtier

Congratulation to Elisabeth!!! How time flies though...I still remember her first day of kindergarten...
Old 03-19-2018, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Of course the usual negative comments in Belgian social media, but I think this step is an excellent one. Free from the eternal pressure in Belgium. Explore a new world. Use English day by day. Discover your own personality.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 PM
Nobility

I'm actually so annoyed, I literally applied to UWC through the US NC, made it to the last round but got rejected sadly. Atlantic College was may first choice as well. I could have become friends with HRH. But I am happy for her, the school is an experience like no other. Hopefully she will be my second year.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Another future Sovereign amongst the alumnae helps the UWC of course...
Old 03-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Well done to the Duchess of Brabant ,I read that that the current presidents of Atlantic College are Dowager Queen Noor of Jordan & Queen Elizabeth II .
Old 03-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Didn't expect this news but her cousins also complete(d) secondary school in the UK, so that's on me. Is it a common move among the Belgian nobility?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I think in her future position she will have to speak perfect English....And of course she will get a certain freedom lovely to a girl her age !
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Congratulations to Elisabeth. Those are very competitive schools to get into, and not simply academically. All the steps to get accepted, quite an accomplishment.

While it is good for her English, which will help in the future, goes above that. The school focusses on bringing students from different countries and cultures together, to teach them to communicate and work together. This seems like a very smart educational focus for a future queen.

It likely also will be nice for her to get out of Belgium and away from the press. She will just be Elisabeth there.

Quote:
Didn't expect this news but her cousins also complete(d) secondary school in the UK, so that's on me. Is it a common move among the Belgian nobility?
All but Maria Laura who didn't go to the UK for school until university.

Attending boarding school, whether in the UK or in Switzerland, is still quite popular among many of the continental royals. Sevenoaks, the school attended by Amedeo and Luisa Maria was also attended by Elizabeth von Thurn and taxis. Joachim went to the same school (Malvern) as Ernst August JR and Christian, the hereditary prince of Hohenzollern, Joseph Wenzel of Lichtenstein.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Majesty

Let's just hope the UK media stay away

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-19-2018, 09:28 PM
Nobility

AC is in the middle of nowhere, she should be fine. Any paparazzi would be spotted from a mile away because they would be so out of place.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 PM
Majesty

The young Duchess of Brabant is obviously very bright and displays a poise well beyond her sixteen years. Her parents...heck ANY parent..would burst with pride at her.

Still it's going to be a wrench for their Majesties when she leaves. She seems particularly close to Philippe.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-20-2018, 12:05 AM
Royal Highness

Interesting. I know a couple of people who have gone to UWCs, including one who went to the school Elisabeth will attend. It really is in the middle of nowhere, at least by the standards of UK reporters and photographers based in London, so I doubt she’ll be bothered by the press at all.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
For those who can afford it, yes. No noble parent wants to see their children study only in Belgium, and the rich Belgian aristocrat families all send their children abroad, usually once the university years start. N° 1 country of choice is Britain, but they're also attending higher education in the US, France, Germany, Italy... As long as the school is renowned and the network interesting enough. Brexit or not, London and the rest of Britain remain a huge attraction pole for many Europeans and the English language is a real must.

Curiously it are the Lux royal children who attended obscure catholic institutions in the US and the Habsburg offspring who were sent to other obscure catholic schools in Eastern Europe.

As for Astrid's children:
- Amedeo was a boarder at Sevenoaks and then moved on to the London School of Economics. He moved to New York for work and also did extra studying there. Now he's a private banker in Switzerland (with his father?)
- Laura finished secundary school in Brussels and then studied Chinese in Paris and London. She did an internship at the UN in New York and worked for Vuitton in China. Then she moved back to London to study at the School for Oriental Studies. No idea what she's up to now, but she's living in London.
- Joachim was a boarder at Malvern & studied economics at Bocconi University in Milan, Italy.
- Luisa was a boarder at Sevenoaks and is now doing a masters at McGill, Montreal, Canada.
- Laetitia is currently a boarder at Sevenoaks.
It's clear Astrid's family doesn't lack any funds.

Laurent's kids are all at a Lycée Français in Belgium.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

I believe Laetitia attends Bromsgrove, not Sevenoaks.

Laurent's eldest is only 14, the same age as Astrid's kids started going to boarding school. Will have to see if his daughter remains in Belgium or goes abroad.

I think its good that Elisabeth gets the opportunity now. When she is older and has royal duties, she wont have so much freedom. Her cousins, and even her younger siblings will have the chance to go to school and possibly work abroad. She may be able to go to college abroad later, but she will always be limited. Yes there is a lot of travel in being heir and eventually queen, but not the same kind of freedom she will enjoy now.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Willem-Alexander has always spoken with admiration about his years in Llantwit Major (Co Glamorgan, Wales). No idea if the Duchess of Brabant will go to that location as well, but it is very remote indeed and W-A -away from palace staff, pushing parents and intrusive media- loved it. I am sure Princess Elisabeth will have a great time as well!

Closed Thread

Tags
prince emmanuel, prince gabriel, princess eleonore, princess elisabeth