King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family, General News 2, Sep. 2017 - Dec. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see Elisabeth at the dance with her mother. ?

I believe they sent their children to a Flemish school precisely because they speak French at home - which is the best in terms of language development as French is both Philippe's as well as Mathilde's mother tongue. In this way the children will both learn French perfectly (from their parents) and Dutch (from their teachers whose mother tongue is Dutch). It is quite normal that the children will speak Dutch among themselves as bilingual children typically prefer speaking the language of their peers (classmates/friends) over the language of their parents.

Thank you, I had guessed that was the case too. I read that Flemish was always viewed as the more working-class language in Belgium whereas French is traditionally the language of the upper classes and aristocracy, so it's good that Philippe and Mathilde have tried to turn these assumptions around.

Last edited:
:previous: How nice that the family takes part in this journey :flowers:

Nice to see Elisabeth at the dance with her mother. ?

Thank you, I had guessed that was the case too. I read that Flemish was always viewed as the more working-class language in Belgium whereas French is traditionally the language of the upper classes and aristocracy, so it's good that Philippe and Mathilde have tried to turn these assumptions around.

The royal family knows that 2/3rd of the Belgians speak Dutch and that 3/4th of the money is earned in the Dutch speaking region and in the bilingual Brussels region. They know they can not go on with not mastering Dutch like a native.

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and the children take part in St James' Way, a traditional pilgrimage, in Navarrete, Rioja, northern Spain, on 4 April as part of their family vacation.

Belga Image

Thank you eya for your tireless updates. Nice to see the family undertaking the pilgrimage during their holiday.

Reactions: eya
That's a beautiful part of my country and I remember walking the Way as well when I was much younger, it's a very nice experience.

I love that we always know where they are and what they are doing, they don't hide or go over their way to stop the press/people to know where they are.

Any pictures of Emmanuel and Eleonore as well? It looks like Elisabeth walks with her mom and Gabriel with his dad...

We're still hoping to do the Camino at some point as well!

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and the children take part in St James' Way, a traditional pilgrimage, in Navarrete, Rioja, northern Spain, on 4 April as part of their family vacation.

Belga Image

I love this family. So close and loving and beautiful...and free of drama!

I notice only the older 2 kids were on the hike. Was it too long for the younger two? Nice place for them to spend their holidays.

We don't know what the girls were doing, because there aren't any pictures to show... But it looks like they were walking in different groups. Mathilde & Philippe are there with a group of friends.

The blond woman who walks with Mathilde isn't Elisabeth BTW, as you can see here: Queen Mathilde: Semana Santa in Spain

It's so nice that he remembers Baudouin, it's been 25 years (this summer) since he passed away and I think Philippe is grateful for his guidance and his example in his life :flowers:

It's also very nice that the general public will be able to see the painting, since it will be exposed during the summer opening of the Royal Palace.

Last edited:
I didn´ t know HM was such a skillfull painter!

Maybe he inherited that from his great-grandmother Elisabeth and his namesake daughter seems to be interested in painting as well! :flowers:

Last edited:
Very nice looking family as always. The children will soon become very eligible single people, especially Élisabeth and Gabriel.

Luckily for them, the Belgian press seems to be exceedingly discreet on the subject of the royals' romantic lives. Wasn't Barbara Maselis the only girlfriend of Philippe whose name was leaked?

Mathilde gave an interview to MO Magazine, a Belgian left-wing magazine that reports on global developments. It's about her work as an SDG advocate, but at the same time she reveals things about her own youth, her background, her children etc.

Mathilde really is a woman of substance, and this is quite an intersting read IMO: Queen Mathilde: "2030 is tomorrow. Change has to happen today"

You can see all of her SDG activities at this link - at least the ones that have made it to the media: Queen Mathilde: SDG

Thank you for posting the translated interview. I appreciate how it gives extensive descriptions of Queen Mathilde's experiences and points of view, especially the quotes below.

The answer starts with Mathilde's mother's family history. She describes Anne Komorowska as a Polish woman who fled the communist regime. Mother was a countess, but during those nomad years, that also briefly took her to Congo, she knew poverty and hunger. A trauma that never healed, and that was made clear from the absolute prohibition to spill or waste food in the d'Udekem d'Acoz household.

When she was 18, Mathilde frightened her parents with her holiday plans: she wanted to spend the summer months of 1991 in Cairo. She would go there on her own to work with a local NGO in the slums of the Egyptian capital. […] "That summer changed me and made me into the person I am today".

[…]

Because "the SDGs change the conversation about North & South, with changes needed in the South. Now we talk about an inclusive, universal story where all of us are responsable for the future we have in common. The 'developing world' becomes a real actor, and the business world is being asked to be responsable."

[…]

"I don't want to lock myself in negative thoughts. I prefer to focus on what's positive and realistic. The resilience of vulnerable people, their ability to rise time and time again, to find the strength to survive... that's what I admire."

To illustrate that indestructable life force she's talking about, Mathilde tells me the story of a 55-year old man she met recently: "His face was a reminder of the painful life he'd led. A crooked nose from a violent youth, with a father who had broken every bone in his son's face. He'd been left on the street in a coma. He grew into a thug and worse. He knew every juvenile court judge in the wider area. Untill one of those judges looked him straight in the eye and said: you've got the brains to get a degree. That one time where someone believed in him made all the difference. He told me: I existed in the eyes of someone. And yes, he got his degree and finally showed it to the judge to prove he was capable of it. Now he's married. With his wife he runs a youth shelter for kids with a difficult background."

[…]

When asked if she ever confronts the Belgian government with their inconsistent policies, or with the cuts they make in social security or development aid, the queen replies with a royal smile and similar diplomacy: "I'd rather put my energy into encouragement than into reproaches."

Lovely photos of the family. Elisabeth and Eleonore look really like each other in the first photo.
Laeken looks like a beautiful place to live. I bet the greenhouse is fun to explore!

:previous: Very happy to see all the bike helmets!

Elisabeth looks so beautiful, so grown.
I love that she's wearing light makeup, nothing too excessive but it really enhances her features.
Their summer photoshoots are always so cute and they find beautiful places to do them.

Now that the children are bigger these photoshoots have turned into something more natural than the forced events they used to be. Emmanuel even making jokes that make the photographer laugh... :lol:

https://queenmathilde.blogspot.com/2018/06/family-photoshoot-2018.html

They have been taught well, their parents have exposed them enough for the children to be comfortable with the press/people but without compromising most of their freedom, they are not being hounded outside of school day-in/day-out.

Great balance :flowers:

I really like the idea for this year's summer photoshoot. It's nice to see the family more relaxed and more themselves in a casual environment. Elisabeth is a pretty young lady (Gabriel looks a lot like his older sister IMO) and I love Eleonore's dress - I wouldn't mind an adult version for myself, actually!

I love Elisabeth's outfit...casual but very chic.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom