King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family, General News 2, Sep. 2017 - Dec. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Palace has released two birthday portraits today, taken last June:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** instagram post **

The portrait in front of the Winter Garden will also be used for the birthday stamp issued by the Belgian Post Office.

Royal Mint of Belgium issues a coin dedicated to Queen Mathilde’s 50th birthday.

"The 12.5 euro coin - the reverse shows Philippe - is legal tender in B.
The coin (2,500 copies) is struck in the purest gold, according to the Mint and Minister of Finance @Vincent_V_P."

"More details about the coin:
Based on photograph by Michel Gronemberger;
Her monogram (M) + her age 50;
Initials IB, designer Iris Bruijns;
First time that both royal coin portraits (Philippe/Mathilde) have been depicted together on official commemorative gold coin."

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm5kHIRXkAA9_rf?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fm5kKLIWQAABhjh?format=jpg&name=large

What wise words from the late Queen Fabiola :previous:

I have been watching the VTM documentary. Some titbits from the first half:

- The queen decorated her office herself. The interviewer points to photos of the family. Among them a nice informal portrait of Albert and Paola. The interviewer asked how they were doing. The Queen said that they were doing very well, and that they are enjoying each others company intensely. She adds that she thinks that the photo is beautiful and serene.

- She says how much she enjoys it see her childrens personalities devolop themselves. Young adults now, she laughs. She agrees that she slowly has to let them go now, which is part of life. She thinks it is beautiful to see how all of them are finding their own way in life.

- The interviewer points to a photo of the King and Queen and remarks how she still looks at him in love. She agrees and says that they have been married for 23 eyars. She enjoys working as a team.

- Pointing to a portrait of Philippe and Elisabeth the interviewer remarks that the succession is assured, hinting that Elisabeth is well prepared. The queen adds: 'everything in its own time'. She says that she is proud of all four children.

- About the artwork: on the walls is an aquarel of a pine forest in the snow by the Belgian artist Hans op de Beeck. It reminds HM of her childhood in the Ardennes, of which she has great memories.

- She tells about her volunteering in Caïro, where she helped street children and was teaching the French language. She was 18 y/o at the time and she learned a lot.

- About the engagement: it was an interesting time for her. One day she was anonymous and the next day she was a public figure. She had to learn a lot but she could count on the support of her husband. She and her husband decided that she would continue her study of psychology, which she did next to her work as a speech therapist. She finished in 2002, when Elisabeth was already 1 year old. SHe said it helped her in the transition period, to still have a part of her old life. "It was beautiful to do but also good for my balance".

- In advance it was agreed not to ask private questions about the queen's children. The queen explains that the quietness and the serenity that they can find in their private life has a positive effect on their public lives.

- The interviewer shows a clip of children of the St Jan Berchem college in Brussels. The children sing a birthday song on the schoolyard. The Queen is moved. She recognises it as the primary school where her children went to. She sighs how often she has been there. Her husband usually went every morning and she picked the children up in the afternoon. She adds that she also tried to help teaching children how to read, as 'leesmama', every tuesday afternoon. She enjoyed teaching these children with reading difficulties and to try to show them the pleasure of reading. 'Very nice memories' she adds.

- How to relax: small things, drinking a coffee with friends of family, go hiking, or going to a bookshop. She loves it when she does not have to look at her watch. SHe tells an anecdote about a book shop close to the palace where she was having a coffee (I suppose it can only be Filligranes). She was there with one of her children and bought a few books. A lady came up to her and asked: maybe you can give me an advice about a book on the royal family. She said that it was difficult but that she enjoyed it. Another thing she likes is walking in nature with her dogs and without her telephone. The Queen says that she loves to switch of her computer and her phone, to have the time and peace to stop rushing, to take time for a conversation.

- Hobbies: she sports a lot, she reads a lot, she chats a lot, with family or friends. She adds that friendship is very important to her and to take the time for friends.

Thanks for the summary.

Regarding the final part: is there much known about her friends? Are they mostly from the nobility? Primarily Belgian or from abroad?

Part 2:

- In the office is also a buste of Queen Fabiola. Mathilde says: She was really a great personality, with a great sense of humor. I remember evenings at the Elisabeth music competition, we chatted so much! It was difficult to stay quiet. But was also shared passions: for music and for mental welbeing. It was essential for her as well. But yes, I had a great connection with her. It is now nearly 8 years ago that she died. It was a fantastic personality.

- The interviewer asks about the nicest memory of Queen Fabiola. The queen says that she has so many and it difficult to choose. She refers to Fabiola getting an apple out of her bag on July 21st, after receiving threats that she will be shot with an arrow. The Queen continues: she was always so young of spirit, with a lot of fantasy and lots of interest in people. I learned a lot from her.

- The interviewer asks: did you learn the task from her? Mathilde: I was lucky to know two of them [queens]. I have learned a lot from both of them.

- The programme now focusses on a few of the walks and cycle tours that she did around the country, for a project about mental health. The queen tells at one of those tours that one of her children told her that she needed water on the bike, she went to Decathlon [a big shop of sport neccessities) to by her a water bottle.

- A participants asks the Queen during a walk if it ever happens that the king or queen do not feel well. She exclaims: we continue to be human! About the talks that she had with people during these walks she says -yet again- that she has learned a lot. She was happy that she was able to listen, to have the time to talk to people, to listen to their challenges and experiences. That way I learned a lot. A story that touched her especially: in East Flanders she met a woman who lost both her legs after an accident. The programme switches to the woman telling her story. In the end the Queen asked her about a message. The woman said: gratitude for my family, for my friends who were always there for me. It was a great life lesson to me!

- The Queen holds a plea to make sure services for mental health are more easily and quicker accessible for patients.

- A clip about her work for UNICEF and climate. The weather woman of VTM praises the Queen for her efforts in a clip. The Queen says she indeed knows the weather womna and that they share a passion about sustainability. The Queen praises the woman for her enagement etc.

- During the walk in Luxembourg her husband joined her. The Queen says that her husband wanted to be absolutely present for one of the Queen's walks. Mathilde says they still learn from each other, they make each other stronger. But as parents of children there is a lot of work to do as well. She enjoys working together with him.

- About the role of the Queen in the present day: there is no sript. But listening to people is very important. I feel well when I can do that. Also in difficult circumstances. She refers to the bomb attacks in Brussels and to the victims of the floodings in Liège. She also think sit is important to give a voice to those poeple who are not heard. She refers to the victims of sexual violence that she met in Congo. She says again that there is no script. We will need to see what society finds important, and that influences our work.

- COVID: she receives a birthday message from Prof van Damme, vaccinologist. The queen said that during COVID the two talked every week. He gave her a lot of information about COVID but also about the willingness of people to follow the COVID rules. It was very interesting to listen to him.
The queen says that COVID was very difficult for everybody. The RF tried to do what they could to support people, via zoom and facetime. During the first period especially the engagement and support of the entire family. For exapmple her four children called over 300 elderly people during the first lockdown period, to support them, to listen to them. They did so every sunday, even Eleonore who was only 11 years old at the time. They learned a lot from that. During the period she did more excersize as well. So from there the idea was born to combine the two for her birthday initiative: walking and talking about mental health.

- About her birthday party the Queen says that she will let herself be surprised and she will not organise anything herself for a change. Being surprised by the people around her, her family, her friends.

I forgot to look at french TV and saw the end on VTM where she received present .
Thanks Marengo to keep us informed .

"Belgian Queen Mathilde, 50, and her daughter Crown Princess Elisabeth, 21, will travel to Egypt (March 14-16).

They will visit several places that Queen Elisabeth (1876-1965) has visited on her missions, including Tutankhamen’s tomb."

It's a lovely family tradition and wonderful way to spend the Semana Santa - but they won't reach Santiago just yet, so we may expect them back for at least another year...

Nothing but respect for this great Catholic family. It's wonderful that the two eldest have also joined, it's a difficult age, but it goes to show how close they are. :heart2:

What a wonderful way to spend Holy week as they did in 2019 and in previous years I recall?

They are traveling with a priest (unknown if it's a Belgian one or a Spaniard) the article also mentions their Majesties have their own private security AND protection from the Guardia Civil. Only Eléonore was spotted with them yesterday.

Last edited:
The four "kids" accompanied their parents to a function of the Red Star Line musical. Prince Emmanuel might not be a giant like his older brother, but he's officially taller than the King! He's not 18 yet, so he's still growing, same with Eléonore.

What a cute family.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrHEvKToyzm/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:
According to this NOS article king Philippe broke 3 ribs when he fell while kitesurfing during their holiday in Spain (as we already knew they did several stages of the Camino de Santiago during the Holy Week but apparently, they also went to the coast - as I assume that's where he went kitesurfing). During his visit to French Guiana he was visibly in pain a few times but still continued on with his program as scheduled.

According to this NOS article king Philippe broke 3 ribs when he fell while kitesurfing during their holiday in Spain (as we already knew they did several stages of the Camino de Santiago during the Holy Week but apparently, they also went to the coast - as I assume that's where he went kitesurfing). During his visit to French Guiana he was visibly in pain a few times but still continued on with his program as scheduled.

Sounds rather painful and wishing the king well!

According to Win Dehandschutter, the injury took place during their recent holiday in Spain. Typical Filip, a bit of Santiago's pilgrimage and a bit of kitesurf. Good lord! :lol:

https://www.hln.be/royalty/koning-f..._medium=social&utm_campaign=socialsharing_web

Beautiful family, Prince Emmanuel only gets taller and taller...He looks so much like the King when he was his age.

Last edited:
Bravo to Queen Mathilde and Prince Emmanuel for taking part :previous:

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde visited the site of the renovation works of the Royal Palace today, July 10.

"The facade is currently cleaned, restored and the frames are equipped with double glazing for better thermal insulation.

The Royal Palace will therefore unfortunately not be accessible to the public this summer. But you can still discover it through our virtual tour: http://virtualtour.monarchie.be"

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

I like the still formal informal pictures better than the gala ones. Especially, Mathilde's picture is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom