The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-22-2020, 01:45 PM
Majesty

That is indeed a beautiful gesture on the part of the Belgian Royal Family. My admiration for their little "team", as they call themselves, grows by leaps and bounds.

And the children are turning in to Amazons!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-22-2020, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Such a lovely gesture! Elisabeth's siblings seem pleased to have her back.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Exchange by skype fpr the King with the residents of the Residence Notre-Dame de Lourdes in Liege to support the elderly.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETytsVSW...name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETyuBEUW...name=4096x4096
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn.n...83&oe=5E9F7D90

King Philippe has raised a white flag in the Rouyal Palace to support and express gratitude for caring staff amid coronavirus outbreak.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETyk7Z8X...jpg&name=large
Old 03-23-2020, 01:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Apparently the King has missed the notion that raising a white flag is a centuries old international sign of surrender, of giving up, of defaitism.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
What wonderful gestures for sure. Great seeing the entire family involved

I am a bit worried about if they deliver them personally though. Not for them alone but the seniors they visit. Considering the high rate of illness in seniors, it’s a really cautious area.
Yes, that is a good point. It is necessary that royals around the globe balance their wish to lead and be visible with their responsibility to set an example regarding the guidance of health authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Apparently the King has missed the notion that raising a white flag is a centuries old international sign of surrender, of giving up, of defaitism.
In the old days the royal family of Spain raised a white flag for the birth of a princess or infanta (and the national flag for the birth of a prince or infante), so perhaps it has some other significance, at least for European royalty?
Old 03-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Yes, that is a good point. It is necessary that royals around the globe balance their wish to lead and be visible with their responsibility to set an example regarding the guidance of health authorities.

In the old days the royal family of Spain raised a white flag for the birth of a princess or infanta (and the national flag for the birth of a prince or infante), so perhaps it has some other significance, at least for European royalty?
That they rise the proud and glorious national flag for an Infante and a just a blanc flag for an Infanta is an inherent signal of surrender and defaitism: "Just a girl...".
Old 03-23-2020, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I suppose he is following the rest of Belgium (or Flanders at least), where some people have white flags or white sheets with messages of support for health care workers. I don't know if it happens abroad too. It is an initiative from a private person in Dendermonde who made a plea last week, which was followed by many.

I suppose the colour white was chosen for practical reasons: everybody will have a white sheet at home which they can use. And it is easy to read texts from a white background.

The French royal standard was white for during the old regime, as a symbol of purity. Sometimes adorned with the Fleur-de-Lis but often plain white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout
I am a bit worried about if they deliver them personally though. Not for them alone but the seniors they visit. Considering the high rate of illness in seniors, it’s a really cautious area.
Fortunately precautions were made. The flowers that they delivered last week were placed on a trolley, which nurses had put outside. The Queen and her two youngest children stayed outside and waved to residents who were behind the window. I am sure that this week simular or even stricter precautions were in place.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:17 PM
Royal Highness

It’s nice the King and his family join in the little positive initiatives in this crisis.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Mathilde wants to encourage young people to read more during these difficult weeks:

"Reading aloud to encourage young people to read more during the difficult time we are going through. Discover an extract from the book that was recently crowned with the Première Victor Prize for children's books. ⁣⁣

Tomorrow, a similar proposal in Dutch in collaboration with the association Iedereen Leest"

Old 03-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

A wonderful initiative. I have to say that the King and Queen have really impressed me these last weeks, leading by example while in a few other monarchies royals stay mostly absent.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
A wonderful initiative. I have to say that the King and Queen have really impressed me these last weeks, leading by example while in a few other monarchies royals stay mostly absent.
My thoughts exactly, they have also involved their children into the initiatives, thus giving example to both older and younger generations.

Excellent job.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

Which royals have stayed mostly absent? In all monarchies they have showed their commitment and admiration.

Queen Máxima has called the Amphia Hospital in Breda to stress her appreciation for the hardworking teams. King Willem-Alexander did the same to the Erasmus Medical Centre in Rotterdam. Yesterday he visited a crisis centre of the GGD (municipal health services) in Tilburg. Prince Constantijn has expressed his awe that all and everyone is working from home and the Dutch infrastructure simply copes the zillions of data over the broadband without one hiccup, also for this forgotten group (ict) royal praise.

Tja, that is not baking waffles in the palace kitchen but nevertheless true interest and involvement.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Queen Mathilde wants to encourage young people to read more during these difficult weeks:

"Reading aloud to encourage young people to read more during the difficult time we are going through. Discover an extract from the book that was recently crowned with the Première Victor Prize for children's books. ⁣⁣

Tomorrow, a similar proposal in Dutch in collaboration with the association Iedereen Leest"

Fantastic initiative. Reading not only a great way for family time with smaller kids, but also a way to keep kids learning through this as well. Books are also a fantastic escape for people during all of this.

I am missing our libraries as they are all closed right now. Been finding things to read online but not the same.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 AM
Courtier

Kind of off topic but I really love Mathilde's voice, it makes you feel calm.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:43 AM
Royal Highness

Honestly I’d say Every single thing about Queen Mathilde is calming and comforting. I mean the lady is Akin to a warm fuzzy blanket and a hot cup of tea with Sugar cookies baking in the oven on Stormy day :)
Old 03-25-2020, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Honestly I’d say Every single thing about Queen Mathilde is calming and comforting. I mean the lady is Akin to a warm fuzzy blanket and a hot cup of tea with Sugar cookies baking in the oven on Stormy day :)
I totally agree! She has a natural caring demeanour and would be a lovely person to meet up for a coffee!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 03-29-2020, 02:19 AM
Royal Highness

King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family, General News, Part 2 (Sept. 2017 - present)

A home nurse got a personal call from Queen Mathilde. She asked the nurse how she was coping under the present circumstances, how she manages to combine her family life and her professional life. The nurse was with one of her patients, sister Christella. Mathilde asked who is getting the groceries for her. She told them she encourages her children to find ways of contacting the elderly who cannot get visits from their family.
The nurse was very pleased with this warm show of support from the Queen.
http://Thuisverpleegkundige krijgt k...rden-van-steun
Old 03-29-2020, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
A home nurse got a personal call from Queen Mathilde. She asked the nurse how she was coping under the present circumstances, how she manages to combine her family life and her professional life. The nurse was with one of her patients, sister Christella. Mathilde asked who is getting the groceries for her. She told them she encourages her children to find ways of contacting the elderly who cannot get visits from their family.
The nurse was very pleased with this warm show of support from the Queen.
http://Thuisverpleegkundige krijgt k...rden-van-steun
It is nice that the Queen is remaining in touch with those on the front lines; hopefully the King is doing the same.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Philippe exchange by skype with doctors and nurses as well as with a pharmacist and with the logistics manager of UCLouvain Saint-Luc in Woluwe

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUXAZnBX...name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUW6tLdX...name=4096x4096
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUXAhpsX...jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUW6yliX...name=4096x4096
Old 03-31-2020, 10:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Mathilde in the Skype conversations with Zorgnet-Icuro and CRéSaM to emphasize the importance of mental health in times of social distancing. Zorgnet-Icuro is a network organization that unites general hospitals, mental health care and elderly care. CRéSaM supports the work of mental health professionals.

https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn.n...39&oe=5EA7F2BC

Tags
crown princess elisabeth, duchess of brabant, king philippe, prince emmanuel, prince gabriel, princess eleonore, princess elisabeth, queen mathilde