King Philippe and Queen Mathilde, Current Events, Part 2 (Sept. 2017 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw it on TV . the belgian team wore their red ti-shirt and a short. Even Mr Martinez wore a training.
The King congratuled each of them but the Queen took more time and spoke to them. The King 's speach in our two languages in the name of our Country. He told that yesterday he was in London visiting Queen Elisabeth when he was told that we were winner and number 3 of the World. Queen Elisabeth congratulated.
After they was a drink outside annd all the players drunk orange juce , and among the King and the Queen it was a happy relax moment.
At 3 pm they will go to our City Hall at our Grand Place and its balcony. The grand place is closed because 8000 people are already there 2 hours before and it is so hot!

Two years ago the Queen said to a Player , Congratulations Monsieur X et he said is is my neighbour!, she was wrong.... So this year she did her very best !

Last edited by a moderator:
The Belgian Team did Belgium proud and great to see the King and Queen at the reception in Brussels.

Congratulations to the Belgians and to Their Majesties! ?

Eleonore is sweet and reminds me a lot of her sister Elisabeth at that age. It would be cute indeed if she was a huge football fan; she certainly did seem happy and pleased to meet the Red Devils. Love her summer dress too.

I wonder why only Eleonore accompanied her parents. After all, it does not happen everyday to be 3rd in a World Championship.
Going slightly off topic: Belgians should provide their athletes of any sport with a formal attire. My country (Italy) has one and so do many other countries. In these sort of occasions, whenever Philippe and Mathilde receive an athlete it looks as if the sovereigns are overly dressed for the occasions and their guests, on the other hand, are under dressed. After all, they're being received in an official residence by the Head of State.

Last edited:
I wonder why only Eleonore accompanied her parents. After all, it does not happen everyday to be 3rd in a World Championship.
Going slightly off topic: Belgians should provide their athletes of any sport with a formal attire. My country (Italy) has one and so do many other countries. In these sort of occasions, whenever Philippe and Mathilde receive an athlete it looks as if the sovereigns are overly dressed for the occasions and their guests, on the other hand, are under dressed. After all, they're being received in an official residence by the Head of State.

I think they don't go in "elegant" clothes because they have a full day of celebrations ahead and it would be too tiresome tbh

Spain's NT was also casual when visiting the Royal Palace in 2010

Pretty sure they must have formal attire (from the sponsor). But it is totally understandable for the team wearing sportswear or casual attire as they probably went to meet the RF right after they got off the plane. Actually I think it is quite normal that the athletes are being received by the head of state in their sportswear after they came back from the tournament (e.g. Like what leidi mentioned above, and I believe the Spanish also did the same in 2012). The “reture” always is pretty casual, and also sportswear actually is their “uniform”, not really underdressed.

And if I were the royal I would let them wear whatever they want as they reach such achievement for the nation.?

Last edited:
New paintings of the royal couple are exhibited this year, together with a painting of King Baudouin done by King Philippe himself.
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4

Oh my God...that painting of Mathilde is ethereal and lovely!

And King Baudouin...I had no idea that Philippe was such a talented painter!:ohmy: I wish Queen Fabiola could see that....

Is the Queen wearing a necklace in the painting ? I can't see it clearly.

No, she is not. She's only wearing the Nine Provinces tiara (de rigueur in an official portrait) earrings and a bracelet.

Love the paintings. And I didn't know that Philippe has such great talent!

This evening I saw on TV that King Philippe painted twice King Baudouin. I don't know who painted the King and the Queen.
I will go next Thursday at the Royal Palace and will know more.

This evening I saw on TV that King Philippe painted twice King Baudouin. I don't know who painted the King and the Queen.
I will go next Thursday at the Royal Palace and will know more.

Osvaldo Leite.

Osvaldo Leite.

I have looked up some information on him on the web. Despite his Portuguese last name ("Leite"), he actually appears to be from Uruguay, but was born right at the Brazil/Uruguay border, which perhaps explains his name. According to his website, he has painted several well-known European personalities over the years, including Jacques Chirac, José Maria Aznar and Princess Claire.

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde are attending the annual informal meeting of the Heads of State of German-speaking countries in Switzerland today and tomorrow.

Here are the first photos of today, September 5:

** gettyimages gallery **

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde are on a one-day visit to Vienna, Austria, today, October 1. The main reason for the visit is the opening of the "BRUEGEL" exhibition at the Art History Museum of Vienna later today:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** kleinezeitung gallery **

** fb gallery ** fb gallery 2 ** fb gallery 3 ** belga gallery ** rex gallery ** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Glamorous in green! Queen Mathilde of Belgium opts for a chic shift dress and matching fascinator as she joins husband King Philippe..**

Last edited:
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde attend a World War I commemoration at the 'Tomb of the Unknown Soldier' monument in Brussels, on Sunday 11 November .

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6358431

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefee...anniversary of Armistice Day, Remembrance Day

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?zoektype=2&search=11-11-2018 Brussels

Video

Address by the King on the occasion of the One Hundredth Anniversary of the Armistice.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...JpzXtWz3f-AoQoj0LEeuGXCzPN-NhfahiJzKrIHzYMr9Q

Last edited:
The Belgian unknown Soldier was Choosen among 5 coffins in the Railway Station of Bruges. A Blind Soldier from War designed the second on the left.

Back
Top Bottom