Belgian State Visit to Canada: March 11-17, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Duc 200 people came with our Monarchs , University Theachers , Bussiness people, diamond and chocolate traders etc....

I can see them complain for each and every cents spent by the royal family, no matter the purpose.

Reactions: eya
Well Duc 200 people came with our Monarchs , University Theachers , Bussiness people, diamond and chocolate traders etc....

It’s a large delegation that came to Canada. They were talking about it on the news.

As far as Trudeau goes, I’d much rather meet with regal and vice-regal representatives.

The Governor General represents Queen Elizabeth II.

Such a personal welcome from Mr Trudeau..?

Attachments

• trudeau.jpg
    trudeau.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 102
It’s a large delegation that came to Canada. They were talking about it on the news.

As far as Trudeau goes, I’d much rather meet with regal and vice-regal representatives.

The Governor General represents Queen Elizabeth II.

PM Trudeau was in Algoma yesterday talking to steelworkers with a view to Trumpian trade threats. HE the Governor General hosted the Belgian Royal couple during their visit to Ottawa; the King was apparently charmed by Mme Julie Payette, who is a former astronaut:flowers:

More pictures:
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...and-queen-mathilde-of-belgium-in-toronto.html

PM Trudeau was in Algoma yesterday talking to steelworkers with a view to Trumpian trade threats. HE the Governor General hosted the Belgian Royal couple during their visit to Ottawa; the King was apparently charmed by Mme Julie Payette, who is a former astronaut:flowers:

More pictures:
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...and-queen-mathilde-of-belgium-in-toronto.html

Belgium has a tradition of holding astronauts in high esteem. The first Belgian in space, Dirk Frimout, was made a life viscount by King Baudouin. Frank de Winne, the second Belgian in space, is an Officer of the Order of Leopold.

And here's today's gallery with many more nice photos of the final day:

** belga gallery - day 5 **

Queen Mathilde met Princess Louisa Maria, who is currently studying in Montreal, during a meeting with Belgian and Canadian students at the Faculty club of the McGill University.

Last edited:

The final item on the agenda was a concert at the Théâtre Rialto in Montreal, with Alice on the roof and Lara Fabian.

The above posted gallery will probably be updated with pics of that evening:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

What we did not know :
1. When the King arrived the staircase of his aeroplane was on another place , not the place of the belgian cameras
2. He was welcomed in German
3. On Queen Fabiola's 44 years tree , two flags Canada and Germany.
4. One University Rector was not on the picture and asked to start again. At that moment one of his Collegues left . Ambiance between them
5. Justin Trudeau did not have the time to meet the King of the Belgians
6. Mrs Melanie Joly due to an airplane problem could not sign the audiovisuel agreement.
7. For the Speeches in Ottawa half French and half English. More english in Toronto and more french in Montreal. But some failed.
8 Less show up of our Brussels Minister President Rudy Vervoort because of his lumbago.
9 The girl who had to give the presents to the artists of the Concert tuesday evening should have fallen , but did not;
But last and not least The Belgian Biotech Kitozyme signed in Montreal the greatest contract of its hisory

Last edited:
Unfortunately there are many missed opportunities in the Belgian Royal Court. The current King and Queen are more glamorous than the last two previous occupants of the Throne.

7. For the Speeches in Ottawa half French and half English. More english in Toronto and more french in Montreal. But some failed.

What do you mean by "some failed" ? The fact that the King spoke in English and French (and no Dutch) in Canada while he spoke in Dutch only in the Netherlands seems to confirm my theory that he adapts to the host country's language rather than paying lip service to official Belgian bilingualism (as the Canadian PM would do for example, no matter which country he was visiting).

I also think Philippe and Mathilde are a good team. Mathilde doesn't eclipse her husband in the way that Máxima often does, but , at the same time, she adds much needed glamour that was lacking somewhat in the Belgian court, especially in the latter years of King Albert II's reign.

We never had a King and a Queen with 4 Children . They are all doing their very best and are an exemple of a nice couple , parents and team.

Some failed , it was of course not the King but his Ministers.

I must confess Mbruno , that I am a fan of Queen Paola ! How could she give us glamour when she was in the seventies. She had Italian elegance Queen Mathilde don't have.

Back
Top Bottom