The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #21  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post


It is nice to see the head of a Catholic royal family visiting the birthplace of the Protestant Reformation, five centuries after. Have Protestant royal families paid similar visits commemorating Catholic history?
They Belgian Royal Family have Protestant roots ,Leopold Ier was Lutheran and Queen Astrid was raised Lutheran also.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 4,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
They Belgian Royal Family have Protestant roots ,Leopold Ier was Lutheran and Queen Astrid was raised Lutheran also.

Yes they became only catholic because the children of King Leopold I. and his second wife Louise Marie where raised in the catholic faith iof their mother.
__________________

__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 PM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,978
I don't know if the King and the Queen are speaking German fluently .
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-10-2019, 02:32 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yes they became only catholic because the children of King Leopold I. and his second wife Louise Marie where raised in the catholic faith iof their mother.
That was not the only reason as Catholicism was also the faith of the vast majority of their Belgian subjects and yes the kings second wife was a French Roman Catholic Princess.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Marchesina's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pescara, Italy
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I don't know if the King and the Queen are speaking German fluently .
An interpreter was provided. Mathilde doesn't speak a word of German, I don't know how fluent Philippe is.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-10-2019, 08:18 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
An interpreter was provided. Mathilde doesn't speak a word of German, I don't know how fluent Philippe is.
According to Wim Dehandschutter, it appeared that Queen Mathilde relied on the interpreter but King Philippe did not.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-11-2019, 03:05 AM
Hannelore's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: T., Belgium
Posts: 2,521
Mathilde indeed speaks French, Dutch, English and Italian. Her Spanish is quite good as well.

As for German, like everyone who speaks Dutch, she'll understand most of what's being said. Speaking it is another matter of course, and it seems she only knows a few basics. There's always an interpreter by her side when visiting German speaking countries.

Philippe does speak German, but I have no idea how well.

The children receive private lessons in German. So they won't be needing an interpreter later on
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:14 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
Mathilde indeed speaks French, Dutch, English and Italian. Her Spanish is quite good as well.

As for German, like everyone who speaks Dutch, she'll understand most of what's being said. Speaking it is another matter of course, and it seems she only knows a few basics. There's always an interpreter by her side when visiting German speaking countries.
Interesting! When and for what reason did the Queen learn to speak Italian and Spanish?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:32 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
That was not the only reason as Catholicism was also the faith of the vast majority of their Belgian subjects and yes the kings second wife was a French Roman Catholic Princess.

Indeed. I am sure because of that he chose a catholic woman to be his 2nd wife. How else, if not even one parent was catholic, could they raise their children in that faith which was vital for a new dynasty to reign in Belgium!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Indeed. I am sure because of that he chose a catholic woman to be his 2nd wife. How else, if not even one parent was catholic, could they raise their children in that faith which was vital for a new dynasty to reign in Belgium!
Anything is possible. King Leopold's grand-nephew King Ferdinand of Bulgaria had, to the horror of his wife and their royal relatives, his eldest son, the future King Boris II, converted at age two to the Bulgarian Orthodox faith because he felt that a king should share the faith of his people and to appease his Russian neighbours. Not very religious himself it's still strange that given that reason he didn't convert as well. He did get excommunicated for the move, but gained both the approval of his people and his Russian allies in the north.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 4,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Anything is possible. King Leopold's grand-nephew King Ferdinand of Bulgaria had, to the horror of his wife and their royal relatives, his eldest son, the future King Boris II, converted at age two to the Bulgarian Orthodox faith because he felt that a king should share the faith of his people and to appease his Russian neighbours. Not very religious himself it's still strange that given that reason he didn't convert as well. He did get excommunicated for the move, but gained both the approval of his people and his Russian allies in the north.

How was it done in the romanian RF with the chidren of King Ferdinand. he was catholic and his wife was anglican/protestant but their children where orthodox.
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
How was it done in the romanian RF with the chidren of King Ferdinand. he was catholic and his wife was anglican/protestant but their children where orthodox.
While King Ferdinand and Queen Marie didn't convert to the Orthodox Church there was a requirement in the Constitution of 1866 that any descendant of King Carol I was to be raised a member of the Romanian Orthodox church which later happened with King Carol II and his siblings.
Ferdinand and Marie were crowned outside the Orthodox cathedral of Alba Iulia because they didn't belong to the church, but Marie later converted in 1926 to share the faith of her people. Later she is known to have practiced the Bahai faith and is honoured by that religion as one of their own.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,978
Our 3 languages are french, Dutch and german (King's Speech).
Queen Mathilde should speak this language currently instead of Spain.
Her Dutch is not fluent and she his a terrible french accent.
Princess Elisabeth and her siblings will be the first speaking Dutch fluently.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 AM
maria-olivia's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,978
King Leopold I last word was "Nein" because the Duchess of Brabant asked him to convert.
The Priest of ND of Laeken did not want the dead King enterring his Church. They had to build a Tent outside for the last prayers and then he was buried in the Royal Necropole.
I forgot if he was the first one , his first born Child Louis Philippe was buried in the then Collegiale St Michel et Gudule and Queen Louise Marie in Ostend.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-11-2019, 11:03 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
King Leopold I last word was "Nein" because the Duchess of Brabant asked him to convert.
Thanks, Maria-Olivia! Just the kind of royal anecdotes that I love to hear.
Quote:
I forgot if he was the first one , his first born Child Louis Philippe was buried in the then Collegiale St Michel et Gudule and Queen Louise Marie in Ostend.
I think that Queen Louise-Marie and her little Babochon were moved to Laeken when the Royal crypt was finished.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:13 PM
Hannelore's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: T., Belgium
Posts: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Our 3 languages are french, Dutch and german (King's Speech).
Queen Mathilde should speak this language currently instead of Spain.
Her Dutch is not fluent and she his a terrible french accent.
Princess Elisabeth and her siblings will be the first speaking Dutch fluently.
Here we go again. Her Dutch is more than fluent. If you watch her last interview in Dutch, with Katelijne Boonen then you'll have to admit she speaks it very very well. She will always have a French accent, but she masters Dutch very well.

Please tell me when Mathilde's Dutch was so bad that you yourself thought she isn't fluent. Give me an example from the last years.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
Here we go again. Her Dutch is more than fluent. If you watch her last interview in Dutch, with Katelijne Boonen then you'll have to admit she speaks it very very well. She will always have a French accent, but she masters Dutch very well.

Please tell me when Mathilde's Dutch was so bad that you yourself thought she isn't fluent. Give me an example from the last years.



How would you rate Mathilde's Dutch compared to Máxima's ?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-11-2019, 03:23 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 27,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
King Leopold I last word was "Nein" because the Duchess of Brabant asked him to convert.
The Priest of ND of Laeken did not want the dead King enterring his Church. They had to build a Tent outside for the last prayers and then he was buried in the Royal Necropole.
I forgot if he was the first one , his first born Child Louis Philippe was buried in the then Collegiale St Michel et Gudule and Queen Louise Marie in Ostend.
Excellent Madame I had never heard that quote before!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 AM
Marchesina's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pescara, Italy
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannelore View Post
Here we go again. Her Dutch is more than fluent. If you watch her last interview in Dutch, with Katelijne Boonen then you'll have to admit she speaks it very very well. She will always have a French accent, but she masters Dutch very well.

Please tell me when Mathilde's Dutch was so bad that you yourself thought she isn't fluent. Give me an example from the last years.
Exactly, accent is not the right meter to judge the level of fluency. Personally, when I speak English or French (of which I am not a native speaker) I can go from an accentless performance to a thick italian-accented one, depending on my level of stress or difficulty of subject.
My opinion is that she improved a lot during the years (and it is only natural when you speak a language almost daily). The accent is French, but it is understandable given she wasn't raise bilingual unlike her children.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:52 PM
Hannelore's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: T., Belgium
Posts: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
How would you rate Mathilde's Dutch compared to Máxima's ?
Their accents are very different, and most of all, the way they are judged is very different. Maxima has been hailed as the new icon of Holland since day 1, while Mathilde has put up with all sorts of unsubstanciated rumours and lies about "not speaking Dutch" spread by those who want to collect political gain from it. Every sentence of Mathilde gets scrutinized, no-one would ever do that with Maxima. And good for her!

Another thing, Mathilde spends her public and professional life switching between *at least* 2 languages daily.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
germany, king philippe, official visit, queen mathilde


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal House of Saxony (Wettin) Warren Royal Families of Austria and Germany 238 02-08-2020 02:49 PM
Ducal House of Anhalt (Ascania) kcc Royal Families of Austria and Germany 101 10-02-2019 02:54 PM
Erik IV Plovpenning and Jutta of Saxony norwegianne Danish Royal History 2 05-13-2016 01:47 AM
King Hans and Christina of Saxony norwegianne Danish Royal History 2 02-16-2008 12:47 PM
Knud VI and Gertrud of Saxony and Bavaria norwegianne Danish Royal History 0 08-25-2006 12:34 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes althorp anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry belgian royal family castles chittagong cht danish history diana princess of wales dna dutch royal family dutch royals emperor family tree foundation future games haakon vii henry v hill house of bourbon house of saxe-coburg and gotha intro jacobite jewelry jumma kids movie king salman list of rulers lithuanian castles mailing mary: crown princess of denmark memoir monaco history nobel 2019 norway norwegian royal family palaces palestine popularity prince daniel princess elizabeth princess margaret pronunciation random facts royal children royal court royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding russian court dress russian imperial family saudi arabia snowdon spanish history spencer family state visit swedish royal family swedish royalty thailand tracts united states of america unsubscribe videos visit from sweden wedding gown wittelsbach working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×