The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

Yes

Prince Charles should reign because his mother deserves already some rest, maybe retirement, and his son is too young, he must not be burdened untimely with all those responsibilities. Rather, he must be given time to live his youth, and even make his share of trouble and mistakes, like everyone else, marry between 30 and 35, have children, etc.

I do think that heirs should work and attend world meetings on the most important problems of our time, because they are suppossed to be heads of state eventually. They should study world history.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Personally, I think the odds of QEII retiring are zero. Given the QEQM lived to be past 100, Charles probably has a few decades still to go as the heir.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree scooter. I think during his marrage to Lady Diana and the aftermath hurt the way many people view him. I remember when I was little hearing on TV the debates about him stepping aside and Prince William taking the throne instead. I think that in a few more years people will be more accepting to him being a king. Good thing his mother has good genes and is in such good health that he may have those couple more years to convince people he will be a great king.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt View Post
I agree scooter. I think during his marrage to Lady Diana and the aftermath hurt the way many people view him. I remember when I was little hearing on TV the debates about him stepping aside and Prince William taking the throne instead.
They can debate it all they want, Charles, by birthright follows his mother in the line of succession.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tan_berry View Post
Prince Charles should reign because his mother deserves already some rest, maybe retirement, and his son is too young, he must not be burdened untimely with all those responsibilities.
Much as I applaud the sentiments, Charles will not reign until after his mother's death. That is just who she is. He may become Regent at a later date should his mother's health fail insomuch as she cannot carry out her duties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan_berry
I do think that heirs should work and attend world meetings on the most important problems of our time, because they are suppossed to be heads of state eventually. They should study world history.
I am in total agreement, however Prince Charles life has been riddled with complaints that "the Royal Family should not participate in anything political". Needless to say, shoddy housing, poverty, architecture, farming, environmental concerns and even organic farming are all considered "Political"
Old 02-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Royal Highness

I have to say that I am still a little confused about where this topic has gone--Will Charles Ever Reign? seems to indicate, to me, whill Charles outlive his mother? Because, that is the only way he would not reign. I have never understood this whole "Charles stepping down so William can be King" etc.....why would Charles do that? Because some people out there don't care for Camilla? Is that the reasoning here? Because that's the only reason I'm reading about in this ongoing thread. Basically, as Skydragon said, Charles follows his mother in the line of succession--that sums it up.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Commoner

can Prince Charles still be crowned at age 80?

The Queen will easily live to be over 100-years-old....

However, at that time Prince Charles will be 80-years-old.
Will he be too old to be crowned the King?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyMoore View Post
The Queen will easily live to be over 100-years-old....

However, at that time Prince Charles will be 80-years-old.
Will he be too old to be crowned the King?
I think you could not be TOO old to be crowned!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Majesty

Why not? I see no reasons that would prevent him from ascending the throne at the age of 80. Prince Charles can be crowned at any age.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

As long as he knows in which direction to walk.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Courtier

As long as he can carry the crown on his head
Old 09-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

As long as he knows who he is and what the oath means.

I think mental alertness is more important than physical strength.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Apart from you, obviously noone cares if she had a title or not before she married the prince. And her name on divorcing the prince would be Camilla Mountbatten-Windsor, princess of Wales or Camilla Mountbatten-Windor, duchess of Cornwall. Why should she revert to the Mrs. Parker Bowles-style after a second divorce. Not that I think there will be a divorce.

Maybe you could write to Clarence House and simply ask the one person who knows why he did not marry her in the first place: HRH THe Prince of Wales? Please, share his answer with us.
Meow! There are quite a few of us who care about Camilla's origins, you know. Are we allowed to post, too?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:52 AM
Serene Highness

Let's leave the personal comments out of the threads please.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJosh View Post
Right she is now Noble because of Her Majesty making her noble but it's important to remember That should she divorce His Royal Highness, which isn't likely she would lose her title and most likely be known as, Mrs. Camilla Parker-Bowles, Duchess of Cornwall, as she has her Husbands title and is not a Princess in her own right.
In the UK, there is no obligation, (maiden or married). So no Mrs Parker Bowles any time in the future! to revert to any former name
Quote:
From Wikipedia:
In the 21st century, the term "landed gentry" is still used to some degree, as the landowning class still exists in a diminished form, but it increasingly refers more to historic than to current landed wealth or property in a family. Moreover, the respect which was once automatically given to members of this class by most British people has almost completely dissipated as its wealth, political power and social influence has declined, and other social figures have grown to take their place in the public's interest
This speaks for it self.
Ahh wiki. Deference is still shown to the Landed Gentry & Aristocrats, IMO & experience.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Royal Highness

Camilla's origins really have no bearing on Charles' place in the line of succession. However, if they did, she is the granddaughter of the third Baron Ashcombe and if I recall correctly, somewhere down the line she and Charles are ninth cousins and she is also related to Charles II through an illegitimate line of some sort. However, she is married to the Prince of Wales, and as such holds his titles and styles. As I recall, Sophie comes from a less illustrious family history yet it doesn't keep her from riding in the car with Her Majesty the Queen on most family occasions. Seems origins and lineage don't particularly matter--

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc View Post
Prince Charles married in his circle and this is the key IMO. Camilla has grown up in the circle since her childhood and she seems to have deep ties with many upper class families. One of the reasons why Prince Charles was permitted to marry Camilla finally was that Camilla is a PLU -she has a more proper background that The Duchess of Windsor did. Camilla is from landed gentry families which are recognised by upper class circle.

By the way, if Prince Charles were unfit to reign because of Camilla's family background, what do you reckon about Prince William's right to reign? I seriously doubt he would marry a princess or a girl from arstocratic families.
Not all nobel woman are good for the monarchy.

I quite agree that William will not marry an aristocratic woman but rather a commoner.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino01 View Post
Not all nobel woman are good for the monarchy.

I quite agree that William will not marry an aristocratic woman but rather a commoner.
Sorry to disappoint but Camilla did not grow up in Prince Charles's circle. She was introduced to him by a Catholic South American mutual girlfriend whom he had met at University. Camilla's grandparents on her father's side were a typist/secretary and her boss an architectural journalist who went through 3 more wives before he died. And her great-grandparents were I believe a factory worker and a cleaner. On her mother's side she is the step great-niece of the 3rd Baron Ashcombe.

It was Diana whose family had been part of royal circles since Edward VII's time - and look what a disaster that turned out as a marriage!This may be the reason why both Prince Charles and Camilla are keen to encourage Kate Middleton by inviting both her and William to stay on the Balmoral estate over New Year.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Commoner

I don't think I understand your post. I said not all noble woman are good for the monarchy and you just restated what I said.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Commoner

When Charles become King, I think the UK will find itself in a very intresting place. I think with the death of his mother we are going to see a lot of changes.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales