The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:41 PM

We're not saying it destroyed the marriage, we're saying it destroyed any future she had within the Royal Family as a working member.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
Eventually, this was her fatal mistake that destroyed any chance of a reconciliation with Charles and resulted in the end of her marriage.
What else had a hand in the end of the marriage? I would like a UK point of view. Information is different here in America.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Majesty

I would not like to see Prince Charles as King of United Kingdom, because: 1) he might be characterized as weak for not marrying LOVE OF HIS LIFE and 2) ruining the other person's life. I hope some divine intervention will prevent him from ascending the throne.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:16 PM

How lovely. Tell me, anyone else you'd like to wish death upon or are we done for today?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Commoner

Back to the subject, Charles Should, Can and Will be King. That is the Law and The law is right. We Can Not live without Laws
Old 08-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Majesty

to BeatrixFan

Dear BeatrixFan,
As you know, good deeds never go unpunished...
Well ... I did not mean such extreme manifestation of the intervention.
In my humble view, the concept of divine intervention is open to a wide range of interpretations. For example, changes in the legal system of the UK, abolishment of monarchy ...
Old 08-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

As the law currently is stated Charles will be King when his mother dies.

Anyone who wishes to prevent this man, who has served his country so well for all of his adult life, from becoming king, just because he married the wrong woman, is, to my mind, a rather nasty individual.

Charles made one mistake - he married a completely unsuitable woman - unsuitable in the sense that they had nothing in common before they were married. They had totally different interests - e.g. he was a country man at heart and she lied and told him that she enjoyed being in the country when she preferred the city life, he was a very serious man and she was a flighty woman, he preferred classical music to her love of the modern rubbish (1980s music doesn't even qualify as music in my opinion - nor does 90s music either), he had a degree while she didn't even have one 'O' level. I could go on with the incredible differences between them that made a marriage between them doomed from the beginning in my opinion - and I said it to my friends at the time.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Dear BeatrixFan,
As you know, good deeds never go unpunished...
Well ... I did not mean such extreme manifestation of the intervention.
In my humble view, the concept of divine intervention is open to a wide range of interpretations. For example, changes in the legal system of the UK, abolishment of monarchy ...
Well, so far Charles is healthy, he was able to marry Camilla and it looks as if he will live happily ever after with a crown in his future. When this future comes to fruition, will you then believe that someone divine holds his hand over Charles but did not over Diana? Just interested in your way of thinking.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Majesty

To Jo of Palatine

Dear Jo of Palatine,
I do not like Prince Charles as a person because he was not a man enough to insist on marrying a lady he truly loved and loves. He used the approach “both the wolves have eaten much and the sheep have not been touched”. This proved fatal for his marriage.
I may seem naďve, but believe that fate of each human being is governed by something supernatural to a certain degree. Apart from various theories related to the tragic accident that took Princess Diana’s life, it still amazes me that she passed away before Prince Charles married LOVE OF HIS LIFE.
So it might be fair to say that there is a probability that he will not become a King.
Sometimes even the wildest dreams may come true….
Old 08-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Majesty

To Chrissy57

Dear Chrissy57,
No one is going to prevent him from ascending the throne. He will be just another symbol of traditions.
As for your opinion about Princess Diana, de mortius nil nisi bene which means "Say nothing but good about the dead" (to please Elspeth).....
Old 08-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Al bina, on this forum we don't require that people speak only good things about dead people (or live people); criticism is acceptable as long as it's expressed thoughtfully and considerately. We don't, however, allow posts in languages other than English.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Dear Chrissy57,
As for your opinion about Princess Diana, de mortius nil nisi bene which means "Say nothing but good about the dead" (to please Elspeth).....
Why are you afraid to hold her up to scrutiny? If Diana was so wonderful then it shouldn't be a problem should it?
Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Majesty

to cde...

Dear cde,
I am not a fan of Princess Diana, I like her fashion style to a certain extent. I do apologize to those members of this forum from the Northern America and certain European countries, who consider my words as reluctance to accept flaws of the Princess. However, it is viewed as ill-bred in my country and my house to subject the dead to critisism, even if "it is expressed thoughtfully and considerately" (Elspeth, 2007).
It felt that my request to tone down opinions about Princess Diana bespeaks lack of my upbringing...
Summing the said up, I would like to close these debates as they have nothing to do with whether Prince Charles will reign or not.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Dear Chrissy57,
No one is going to prevent him from ascending the throne. He will be just another symbol of traditions.

I actually believe that we should always tell the truth.

That can mean saying bad things about the dead because the dead person did bad things.

If we only say good things about the dead then we often can't speak the truth and surely you don't advocate that we can't tell the truth do you?

Diana did many good things but she also did many bad things. According to your beliefs we can only talk about her charity work and her role as a mother and not about her adultery, her lies, her manipulation of the press etc

That would make for a whitewash of a very human person and it is her human qualities that have made people admire, love, dislike and even hate her throughout the last 26 years.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Majesty

To Chrissy 57

Dear Chrissy57,
I have already expressed my final opinion about this sujbect.
When hurt and anguished, ladies tend to do strange things. For example, Medea killed her own children in revenge. So the bottom line is that almost nothing can stop Prince Charles to be a King of the UK... Let him be the King , who can not make real decisions and/or influence anything at the state level ...
Old 08-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Dear Chrissy57,
I have already expressed my final opinion about this sujbect.
When hurt and anguished, ladies tend to do strange things. For example, Medea killed her own children in revenge. So the bottom line is that almost nothing can stop Prince Charles to be a King of the UK... Let him be the King , who can not make real decisions and/or influence anything at the state level ...

I would have liked to know your answer to the question I asked you - do you believe that we should tell the truth about people or only tell the truth when that person is alive?

Charles has made real decisions throughout his life.

He has influenced things at state level (I assume you mean the government and/or official policy) already so why would that change when he becomes king.

The British monarch works quietly and not in your face anyway and Charles has shown himself able to do that.

He made one wrong decision - a 'real' decision at that mind you - to marry the wrong woman.

Why do you believe that making one wrong 'real' decision should cost a man the job for which he has been trained all his life by a person many people describe as one of the best at the job?

It seems rather tough to me to deny someone something because of one wrong decision - I have made many more than that - maybe I should do my job as I make wrong decisions in my job but noone has suggested that I shouldn't be able to continue with my job but you are saying that Charles shouldn't be able to do the job he was born to do and has been trained to do because of one bad decision to do with the job - choosing the right wife (which fortunately he now has by his side).
Old 08-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Majesty

To Chrissy57

Chrissy57,
I strongly believe that the dead should be left alone. The truth, whatever you have meant by this concept, should be told to those who are still in this world. I think our opinions reflect difference in the cultural backgrounds.
I wish I lived in the UK and knew better about influence Prince Charles or any other member of the British Royal family has got at the state level. From my standpoint, the British king/queen “is holding the now largely ceremonial position of head of state” (Wikipedia, n.d.). How will the life of usual inhabitants of the British Isles change, if the royalty disappears tomorrow due to some magic, let us say?
I like the British Royal family for their speech accent and the Ascot race.
I hope I have adequately replied to your questions.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I strongly believe that the dead should be left alone. The truth, whatever you have meant by this concept, should be told to those who are still in this world. I think such our opinions might reflect difference in the cultural backgrounds.
I wish I lived in the UK and knew better about influence Prince Charles or any other member of the British Royal family has got at the state level. From my standpoint, the British king/queen “is holding the now largely ceremonial position of head of state” (Wikipedia, n.d.). How will the life of usual inhabitants of the British Isles change, if the royalty disappears tomorrow due to some magic, let us say?
Hi Al_bina, for me the truth is the truth and as the 'bad' things are revealed, it would be wrong to try to cover them up, whether the person concerned is alive or dead. It would be wrong, IMO, to present someone as having done no wrong when all the evidence says they had.

How would lives change in the UK, I don't know, I have never even considered it, but as our traditions and ideals are destroyed, it feels as if a piece of Britain is being murdered, a little at a time. I believe many would mourn the loss of our monarchy. Some of course would revel in it, but I think they are only a very small minority. Part of what makes many of us feel British would be lost forever, lets hope it never happens.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Chrissy57,
I strongly believe that the dead should be left alone. The truth, whatever you have meant by this concept, should be told to those who are still in this world. I think our opinions reflect difference in the cultural backgrounds.

As I am a History teacher I certainly can't leave the dead alone. I would be out of a job, as would the many thousands of people who are historians and archaeologists as we deal with the dead as the essential part of our working lives. In the history courses that I teach for the HSC here in NSW (the end of schooling exam similar to the A-levels in England) I have to spend 25% of the course teaching about a specific personality. At some time in the future I would expect Diana to actually be on that syllabus - many students actually research her life in either the Year 11 course or the Year 12 Extension course as it is - but you would have us not teach any of these people as they are all dead. Please justify your reasons for wanting us to not study history.

At least now I understand your viewpoint. Hopefully you can see mine, as it relates very much to what I find important and worthwhile - the study of events, people etc from the past and the different interpretations of these events and people's actions - the very essence of history and therefore the very essence of my job.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Majesty

To Chrissy57

Chrissy 57,
I have been delighted to learn that we have understood each other. You have a very noble and difficult profession of teaching others to discern reasons/ causes that underlie any historical event, scrutinize facts, and deduce an inference.
I wish you every success in such challenging job.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales