The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Yes, it is very strange that there is a problem within the Church about divorce, in view of why it was founded!

Charles was a widower the moment his former wife died and therefore free to be married in a church.
But Camilla was a divorcee. Was hers a Roman Catholic marriage, and if so, does it not count in view of the above?

Old 05-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I think when Charles eventually becomes King he'll do a good job. I do imagine him to be quite different to his mother. For example, I think he is already alot more outspoken than the Queen in the sense that he is more prepared and willing to comment on issues. The Queen usually does not. I think she's always made a conscious decision to keep quiet. In that respect I think it will be good because it may make him seem more relevant.
However, I do think his outspoken nature could work against him. While I personally agree with some of the comments he has made on issues in the past, I think the minute he says something deemed unpopular the tide will turn against him. He will face quite a difficuly job balancing the two aspects.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreDoc
In regards to the sex of a monarch it seems irrelevent since the basic job description only seems to require a human being with low-to-middle intelligence who has the ability to perform pre-determined tasks without causing controversy.
Wow. I expect a lot more than that from my future King. The Queen is intimately involved with representing her country on the diplomatic front, and in this arena alone she has proved herself a confident, knowledgeable, indespensible asset! Threading her way through the political changes in Britain alone with aplomb, not to mention the wide range of political and religeous Heads of State and Ambassadors. She is more able to conduct herself in this area than any elected official and leads her country with intelligence, wisdom and not a little wit.

The Diplomatic ramifications of the seating plan at a Banquet are enough to put noses out of joint. She gets it consistantly right. Her son has been well trained in the fine art of diplomacy.

As POW, he has used his limited influence to advance a lot of worthy causes and try to put it a plug for the average man. As King he will be denied the pleasure of speaking his mind, except, perhaps, in a christmas message. Until then he knows he has to make hay while the sun shines.

He could have been a polo-playing yahoo henry. He chose to put himself on the line. Lets face it. Organic everything is the current thing! He took the knocks and laughed about talking to cabbages. He is certainly having the last laugh.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
Organic everything is the current thing! He took the knocks and laughed about talking to cabbages. He is certainly having the last laugh.
His critics should eat their words
Old 05-19-2006, 10:47 AM

I think it was Zsa Zsa Gabor who once said, "My husbands were swines. But I had the last laugh. They're all dead".
Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG
But Camilla was a divorcee. Was hers a Roman Catholic marriage, and if so, does it not count in view of the above?
Camilla married Andrew Parker-Bowles in the Guards Chapel, which I think is nondenominational, although reports have said that the wedding was conducted by a Roman Catholic priest according to the rites of the Catholic Church. She did not convert to Catholicism, however, and her ex-husband has remarried; regardless of what the church may or may not feel, she was legally free to remarry and that's really what counts.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margrethe II
I think something that Charles may fret over is that he may not be King long enough to have made the difference's he would have wanted to have made, and, I can empathise with that.
I can't disagree with you Margrethe, in fact it almost seems unfortunate that Charles will become King instead of a successful entrepreneur or statesman because becoming king seems like a waste of his intellectual curiousites and interests. Hopefully he'll be able to make very real contributions despite the built-in obstacles attached to the position of being Britain's highest ceremonial figure.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:34 PM

As far as the Church is concerned;

Roman Catholic : Until Andrew Parker-Bowles dies, Camilla is not married in the eyes of the Roman Catholic Church because divorce is not recognised. Charles however, is a widower and is free to marry. He was not whilst Diana was alive and they were divorced.

Protestant : Camilla is divorced, Charles is divorced and have legally married.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
As far as the Church is concerned;

Protestant : Camilla is divorced, Charles is divorced and have legally married.
If that was the case, then why did they have to get married in the Guild Hall?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:06 PM

Because the Protestant Church, whilst it recognises divorce, won't remarry divorcees.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreDoc
I can't disagree with you Margrethe, in fact it almost seems unfortunate that Charles will become King instead of a successful entrepreneur or statesman because becoming king seems like a waste of his intellectual curiousites and interests. Hopefully he'll be able to make very real contributions despite the built-in obstacles attached to the position of being Britain's highest ceremonial figure.
I do not see the reason for a King not being intellectually curious. I think that its better that they should be like this...Unfortunately, kings and queens nowadays seems too interested in sports or bussiness affairs than in intellectual issues. There is, of course, some exceptions. I shouldn't point them out, for I don't want to appear as a sour person. Of course, I have my favos among the royals, but I'll not said which ones I don't like awfully too much.

I think that Charles, could become a really good King. I bet it!

Vanesa.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Because the Protestant Church, whilst it recognises divorce, won't remarry divorcees.
Really? where did Henry the eigth get remarried? did he have civil ceremonies as well or was it different back then?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:43 PM

He married in his church. He could do pretty much as he liked. But now, things are different and everyone follows one set of rules.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The Church of England does remarry divorcees these days, but it frowns on the notion of marrying a divorcee to a person who was part of the reason the first marriage failed. I gather some clergy will perform a marriage service under those conditions, but this particular case would have caused some serious problems for the church.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The Church of England does remarry divorcees these days, but it frowns on the notion of marrying a divorcee to a person who was part of the reason the first marriage failed.
Although your explanation was serious the way you phrased it made me laugh
Old 05-23-2006, 01:11 PM
Commoner

Yeah, I think Charles will rule. It may be long or may be short but he'll rule. I can see William (or harry depending on how things go in the future)
getting the throne at a good age, maybe in there early 40's.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

How soon does everyone expect Charles will become King 5 years,10,15 im not being morbid just curious I Wish the Queen more Happy years
Old 05-23-2006, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
How soon does everyone expect Charles will become King 5 years,10,15 im not being morbid just curious I Wish the Queen more Happy years
No one knows what tomorrow holds. But assuming The Queen's health holds out like her mother's did, she could be on the throne another 10-15 years and Charles' reign would be short. This is why The Queen will continue to closely oversee William's future and duties.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Absolutely not I want the Queen as my Head of State for many years to come :) hoping she lives as long as her beloved mother.

"MII"
Old 05-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Some of the early deaths among the men were also at least partly due to their being heavy smokers, which isn't one of Charles's habits. The relatively peaceful society and his drive for healthy living may well mean that he'll live to a greater age than most of his predecessors.
I recall reading many years ago an article on how cancer took the lives of all the British kings between Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth because of their addiction to tobacco. Charles seems to be the healthiest crown prince ever in the House of Windsor.
But, to answer the main question on the thread, I think he has a 50-50 chance of reigning. If he does I have the feeling it will be a short period and Camilla will survive him.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince charles, prince of wales