Will Charles Ever Reign?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It' wrong to blame Charles alone for the end of the marriage with Diana, but remember in the exactly day of the wedding (when Diana was so in love for him), he was thinking about other woman... He sweared on the Church many things he didn't honestly felt. So he was disloyal to his future wife, to the Church, to the Institution and to his People. She did very bad things like to try the suicide and others things, but we can't forget she did that after she knew about the relationship between Charles and Camilla was not over... Diana had menthal and health problems, that's a fact, but his duty was to help her. That's what all husbands should do: help their wifes, and not ignore them. Charles also "caused" the bulimia problems on Diana saying she was a little bit fat... Charles didn't like to see Harry was a red-hairded baby. And the worst thing in Charles personality (imo) were the Huge jealous he had of the popularity of his wife. She was a Hit to everyone, and he couldn't bear that.She had faults, many faults, but what he (and his mistress at the time and now his wife) did with her was unpardonable.Some people say he has the right to move on and be happy with Camilla. Of course he has the right! He has the right to do what he wants! But if he wants to be King, maybe he should think first about the consequences of his acts.Queen Beatrix of Netherlands or King Harald of Norway were two Fighters when they insisted to marry with Prince Claus and Queen Sonja, respectively. If Charles loved Camill so much, he should insist about his choise and wait the time it was needed and fight till the end! But he didn't... because he was a weak. He was an insecure in his chilhood, a weak in his youth and a jealous one when he was older. He has good things too obviously. He is smart, I like his ideas, some of them are very advanced ones. I read he talks with plants... maybe it's just a false rumor but I like the way he cares about nature. Anyway, this is not enough to be King. Also the fear he still feels for his father is just pathetic. I don't think the British want a man like him to be the next King of England. Anyway, I don't think Charles wants to be king with 75 years old...

In 1968 a retrospective exhibition of Cecil Beaton's photography at the National Portrait Gallery was opened by the Queen Mother. She was shown around the displays by Beaton and looking at the portraits of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, she said "They're so happy, and really a great deal of good came out of it. We have much to be thankful for."

selrahc4 said:
In 1968 a retrospective exhibition of Cecil Beaton's photography at the National Portrait Gallery was opened by the Queen Mother. She was shown around the displays by Beaton and looking at the portraits of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, she said "They're so happy, and really a great deal of good came out of it. We have much to be thankful for."

selrahc4,

Thankyou for the info. I must say that I have never heard this before...Quite interesting. If HM the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother did infact say this then I would have to agree. Much good did come from it.

"MII"

Last edited:
A sensible woman indeed. The Duchess of Windsor was very touched by the Queen Mother's Christmas Card each year after the death of the Duke.

Margrethe II said:
selrahc4,

Thankyou for the info. I must say that I have never heard this before...Quite interesting. If HM the Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mother did infact say this then I would have to agree. Much good did come from it.

"MII"

The occasion is described in "Cecil Beaton: The Royal Portraits" by Roy Strong. He had access to Beaton's diaries and the quote came from them.

Regina said:
It's wrong to blame Charles alone...
AMEN very well said.

Last edited by a moderator:
AMEN very well said

Why? Because its a post against Charles? Sometimes I don't think posters on this board don't actually read a post. They just see "Charles shouldnt" and "Charles didnt" and say how wonderful a post it was. They do the same when its a pro Diana post. Frankly its boring and plastic.

It does get boring. Anything that sanctifies Diana or damns Charles is a holy post. How is it so easy for them to dismiss what Diana did but hold a grudge against Charles that even Diana didnt have. Grow up people. Diana didnt appoint you her image protecters. She moved on and accepted Camilla and the situation and moved on. She was friends with Charles after the divorce. Stop defending the tragic(and if I may say great actress), disturbed Diana and celebrate the caring women who moved on and had another chance until her life sadly ended.

The Queen Mother may have demonstrated some kindness after the Duke died, but it was hardly anything more than a formal courtesy to a widow. She most certainly did not relent in her feelings about Wallis becoming a Royal Highness, which was the main reason for the bitterness between them.

The Queen Mother may have demonstrated some kindness after the Duke died, but it was hardly anything more than a formal courtesy to a widow.

If the Queen Mother wanted to show a formal courtesy, she would have sent Wallis a simple Card signed 'Elizabeth R'. She didn't. She sent her letters and cards, flowers and even spoke to her on the phone. Before Wallis died, the Queen Mother was due to visit her in Paris. I believe that the Queen Mother wanted to get to know Wallis. She realised that whatever was past, they were both widows and had lost their loves. There was anger and dislike in the beginning but Wallis was an elderly lady, as was the Queen Mother - an HRH meant nothing. Getting through each day - lonely and sick, thats what mattered. And the Queen Mother was a support for Wallis in her last years. It probably made it easier on Wallis.

branchg said:
The Queen Mother may have demonstrated some kindness after the Duke died, but it was hardly anything more than a formal courtesy to a widow. She most certainly did not relent in her feelings about Wallis becoming a Royal Highness, which was the main reason for the bitterness between them.

I do believe strongly the Queen Mother to have mellowed slightly towards her sister in-law with age, but I would have to agree with you branchg.

"MII"

Last edited:
Regina said:
Charles also "caused" the bulimia problems on Diana saying she was a little bit fat...

Well I was going to stay out of this one, but there are so many lies and false information being thrown around about bulimia and eating disorders in the name of Diana, that I think it is a disservice to all women who suffer from eating disorders to be silent on this statement.

Regina you are so wrong. From your post, it is obvious that you have no clue what causes bulimia or any other eating disorder. It is a very serious disorder and no one comment or event causes a person to become bulimic. So get that right out of your head.

Bulimia and anorexia begin in the pre-teen years and stem from a variety of causes including the girl's relationship with their parents and siblings. Diana's sister was anorexic and she admitted to emulating her sister's behavior to be more like her. By the time Diana married at age 20, her eating disorder was already well advanced. A high-profile marriage with a lot of press attention was bound to make it worse.

but his duty was to help her. That's what all husbands should do: help their wifes, and not ignore them.

Now about this statement. Obviously you have never known anyone who had a close relative or spouse with bulimia or you would have known that the closest people in the family are not prepared to deal with such a serious disorder. One of my high school friends had it and it frightened and confused all those who were closest to her. We didn't know why she was acting so strangely and we didn't know what we could do to help. Everything we said to her was wrong and brought on another episode. We tried to get her help; some therapists were incompetent, other therapists were very good but she wouldn't listen to them. After awhile one of the therapists told the family that this was normal. She married the sweetest man I ever knew and the marriage lasted 3 years because he couldn't take it anymore.

After a very long time, she pulled herself up, found a support group of other women suffering from the disease and began to heal herself with the help of these women and a wonderful therapist. She's now happily remarried with two wonderful children.

I saw her recently and she joked that she couldn't understand how we could put up with her for as long as we did. She was suffering; it wasn't her fault, but it was nice to get some acknowledgement that she knew the people around her were suffering while she was.

Bulimia is a very serious disease which many women suffer in ignorance. Please don't spread the false and malicious rumour that Charles' comment caused Diana's bulimia or that you know he could have done something to help because its obvious you have no clue about bulimia - its causes and its effects on others.

Sorry Warren, Elspeth, I know this post is off topic for this thread but after my experiences, I just could not let a statement like that stand. You've heard enough from me on bulimia in this thread.

Last edited:
branchg said:
She most certainly did not relent in her feelings about Wallis becoming a Royal Highness, which was the main reason for the bitterness between them.

Yes, in that I agree branchg.

Not only women ysbel,

I myself have battled Bulimia Nervosa for two years, quite possibly a little longer. I agree with many things you have said ysbel.

I have been lucky with the support and comfort I have recieved from those around me but have also come across those who dont understand. I know what Diana went through with Bulimia first hand and I would wish it upon no living person!

Also there is this misconception that it is only women who battle the dissorder. This is wrong.

"MII"

Last edited:
Margrethe II said:
Not only women ysbel,

I myself have battled Bulimia Nervosa for two years, quite possibly a little longer. I agree with many things you have said ysbel.

I have been lucky with the support and comfort I have recieved from those around me but have also come across those who dont understand. I know what Diana went through with Bulimia first hand and I would wish it upon no living person!

Also there is this misconception that it is only women who battle the dissorder. This is wrong.

"MII"

You are right Margrethe. There are a lot of misconceptions about eating disorders. I had totally forgotten that men suffer it and sometimes get less understanding than women do.

Bless you and give you Godspeed.

ysbel said:
You are right Margrethe. There are a lot of misconceptions about eating disorders. I had totally forgotten that men suffer it and sometimes get less understanding than women do.

Bless you and give you Godspeed.

Thank you ysbel ;) :) Your words are met with much thanks and sincere gratitude.

Much health and happiness to you and yours,

"MII"

P.S. We are so going to get our behinds kicked by the mods for getting right of track.lol. Sorry lovely, darling moderators ;) :D

When the Duchess of Windsor was ill at home (Chateau de Candé, Monts) it was known that the Queen Mother did send her some flowers and attached to them was a private message signed 'In friendship, Elizabeth R'. This was of course after the Dukes death and I do believe it was from one widowed wife to another, recognising the grief and pain of losing ones husband.

Or realising that public opinion was beginning to turn against her as being vindictive, and that if the royal family was to get the Duke's things and the Duchess's jewels back when she died, they were going to have to start treating her like a human.

BeatrixFan said:
I believe that the Queen Mother wanted to get to know Wallis..

I don't. That woman really had unbelievable PR. Her Teflon coating would have made President Reagan jealous. She held grudges for decades - look at the way she treated Marion Crawford, as well as the way she ignored her nephew's wife because the lady was a working-class Irish nurse. She seems to me to be a narrow-minded, self-centred, prejudiced snob. With brilliant PR.

Elspeth said:
Or realising that public opinion was beginning to turn against her as being vindictive, and that if the royal family was to get the Duke's things and the Duchess's jewels back when she died, they were going to have to start treating her like a human.

Yes Elspeth, as much as I admired the Queen Mum, it always bothered me how she could carry a grudge. I hope that's one royal tradition that Charles and Camilla firmly leave behind them.

Margrethe II said:
P.S. We are so going to get our behinds kicked by the mods for getting right of track.lol. Sorry lovely, darling moderators ;) :D

*sigh*:D

Actually, information about bulimia is helpful in explaining some of the misconceptions about Diana. It's quite worrying that people are prepared to take Diana's unsupported opinions about things as though they were set-in-rock fact. It would be better to apply a bit of critical thinking to allegations made on all sides of this issue. It might help to clarify whether Charles really will end up on the throne, assuming he outlives the Queen.

Eating Disorders are seriously misunderstood. I myself suffered from anorexia for nearly a year. I kept it to myself and people didnt understand it. It is an accumilation of things from growing up. I remember being teased as a little kid and it continued growing up until one day I stopped eating normaly. Eating disorders are a serious diseases that need to be taken seriously.

Elspeth said:

Hmmmm... one of the many things we may never know ;)

Cant wait for the Queen Mothers biography to come out!!

"MII"

Last edited:
Well, the official biographies aren't unbiased. The authors are chosen by the monarch or other senior royal, special access to archives is granted, and the result tends to have to be acceptable to the royals calling the tune. You can be very sure that the Queen Mother's official biography was fairly carefully chosen to ensure that a particular product would be forthcoming. I think we're going to have to wait somewhat longer than the official biography for something which dares to seriously explore some of the less pleasant aspects of Her Majesty's personality - even assuming the archives hadn't been cherry-picked before they were made available to biographers, which may be quite an assumption.

Elspeth said:
Well, the official biographies aren't unbiased. The authors are chosen by the monarch or other senior royal, special access to archives is granted, and the result tends to have to be acceptable to the royals calling the tune. You can be very sure that the Queen Mother's official biography was fairly carefully chosen to ensure that a particular product would be forthcoming. I think we're going to have to wait somewhat longer than the official biography for something which dares to seriously explore some of the less pleasant aspects of Her Majesty's personality - even assuming the archives hadn't been cherry-picked before they were made available to biographers, which may be quite an assumption.

Hmmm... ok, maybe we will never find out ;) :D

"MII"

Elspeth said:

Well, considering how public opinion was ignored, I doubt the Queen Mother cared much about it. By the mid-60's, polls showed an overwhelming majority of Britons were in favor of the Duke and Duchess returning to the UK and the Duchess being granted the rank of Royal Highness. Some accounts have stated the Queen was ready to do it all, but her mother would not be moved.

Lord Mountbatten was the one most concerned about the Windsors' possessions, but failed in his campaign after the Duke's death. The Duchess was no fool and relied on Maitre Blum to take care of him.

I wonder why the Queen was so in thrall to her mother that the Queen Mother's veto would stop her in her tracks in just about every matter other than purely constitutional ones. I know that's a matter for another thread, but it does seem to have been the Queen Mother's influence as much as anything that let Camilla be accepted as a mistress but not as a wife, so the rather awkward situation of Charles having a non-negotiable companion, but not marrying her, was allowed to continue for so long.

I think the Queen Mother was canny enough to know that being popular meant that she could get away with things that otherwise might have led to criticism and perhaps even action. She was living in great luxury at a time when far more frugal royals were being criticised left and right, yet breathing a word against her was simply Not Done except by the fringe nutters who reflexively ranted against everything the royals did.

I think most of us are aware that the Queen Mother was not the Candy Floss Faery Queen that the PR gave us. There was a backbone of steel, a long memory, and "the eyes of blackness" or somesuch, as described by the Duchess of Windsor. Probably more of an Iron Lady than Margaret Thatcher (now, that would have been a match!). This just makes her more interesting and less one-dimensional.

While we may have to wait a lot longer for the finer details to emerge, we can be sure that the Queen Mother did more than waft around in chiffon, diamonds, and signature hats, all the while smiling sweetly. I wonder how many examples there are of people who underestimated her, to their cost?

Elspeth said:
I wonder why the Queen was so in thrall to her mother that the Queen Mother's veto would stop her in her tracks in just about every matter other than purely constitutional ones. I know that's a matter for another thread, but it does seem to have been the Queen Mother's influence as much as anything that let Camilla be accepted as a mistress but not as a wife, so the rather awkward situation of Charles having a non-negotiable companion, but not marrying her, was allowed to continue for so long.

I think the Queen Mother was canny enough to know that being popular meant that she could get away with things that otherwise might have led to criticism and perhaps even action. She was living in great luxury at a time when far more frugal royals were being criticised left and right, yet breathing a word against her was simply Not Done except by the fringe nutters who reflexively ranted against everything the royals did.

I think by the time there was outright criticism of the royals, the Queen Mother was so old as to be offlimits. She was in her late eighties by the time Charles' and Diana's marriage was showing cracks.

The Queen's relationship with her mother must have been very complex. I always saw the Queen Mum, Elizabeth and Margaret as a tight threesome. Perhaps, because they were such a close family while King George was alive and had inured themselves against the Abdication Crisis and during WWII close bonds were probably formed for survival and I don't think husbands, sons, daughters, or in-laws could later break through them.

ysbel said:
I think by the time there was outright criticism of the royals, the Queen Mother was so old as to be offlimits. She was in her late eighties by the time Charles' and Diana's marriage was showing cracks.

Actually, to be pedantic, as she was in her eighties when the marriage began she was of course in her 80s when the cracks started to appear.

chrissy57 said:
Actually, to be pedantic, as she was in her eighties when the marriage began she was of course in her 80s when the cracks started to appear.

You are of course right chrissy. I was thinking of when the Royal Family started to really get criticized in the press and the press started to report on the cracks in the marriage in the late 80s. There were cracks in the marriage before but it took awhile for the press to pick up and turn on the Royal Family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom