Which countries would you like to see Charles & Camilla visit over the next few years

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's only been a few years, but I'd love to see them back in the States!

I thought the general train of thought on this topic was which countries we would 'like' to see C'nC visit rather than which countries we would like to see C'n'C 'invited' to visit!?!

True but many posts were starting to seem to me to assume that they could just turn up - particularly those referring to why they should be going to Commonwealth countries and ones where the Queen is the Head of State. Posters arguing that visiting those countries would strenthen the position of the monarchy there for instance ignore the fact that the people in those countries may not want them to visit as they grapple with their own movement away from the royals.

As for where I would like them to visit - stay in Britain and shore up support for the monarchy in their own backyard rather than butting into other countries and their affairs.

Bertie...I totally see/hear your point! I sometimes get the sensation by living in the 'colonies' so to speak, that the 'British' Monarchy is on the verge and should focus on the home front for the very survival of the institution! Cynicism has lead to Apathy which is leading to alarmingly dangerous ground indeed!!!!!

To remain on topic....I do think that C'n'C should be sent off at every opportunity/invite as when, to at least try and counter the present, pervasive rot!!!!!!

Bertie...I totally see/hear your point! I sometimes get the sensation by living in the 'colonies' so to speak, that the 'British' Monarchy is on the verge and should focus on the home front for the very survival of the institution! Cynicism has lead to Apathy which is leading to alarmingly dangerous ground indeed!!!!!

To remain on topic....I do think that C'n'C should be sent off at every opportunity/invite as when, to at least try and counter the present, pervasive rot!!!!!!

I think that the royals are sent as often as invited but they aren't invited all that often because the government's don't want the expense, don't see the need for them or don't want to upset their electorates or...

In other words - our governments' aren't inviting them so they can't come but when an invitation is sent a royal comes.

I think that the royals are sent as often as invited but they aren't invited all that often because the government's don't want the expense, don't see the need for them or don't want to upset their electorates or...

In other words - our governments' aren't inviting them so they can't come but when an invitation is sent a royal comes.

I think your statement presupposes a knowledge of comminucations between the Foreign Office in London, the counterparts in a number of countries around the world and BP/CH which I don't think exists in the public domain. If you are privy to inter-government communications, I am sure the statement is perfectly justifiable, otherwise I am inclined to believe that that is purely your assumption.

I am sure you are aware that typically the PoW and the DoC carry out 2 major overseas trips in a year. Thats the pattern that has been established for some time now - something incongruent with your suggestion that "when an invitation is sent a royal comes"

I think your statement presupposes a knowledge of comminucations between the Foreign Office in London, the counterparts in a number of countries around the world and BP/CH which I don't think exists in the public domain. If you are privy to inter-government communications, I am sure the statement is perfectly justifiable, otherwise I am inclined to believe that that is purely your assumption.

I am sure you are aware that typically the PoW and the DoC carry out 2 major overseas trips in a year. Thats the pattern that has been established for some time now - something incongruent with your suggestion that "when an invitation is sent a royal comes"

The invitation, such as the one that Anne accepted for the bushfire memorial service earlier this year, is mostly for 'a royal' or can be for a specific royal. I am sure that you are fully aware that these things rarely happen with only a moments notice, unlike Anne's visit but with years of planning. Charles and The Queen both do two major tours a year but there are many other royals who can be invited with little notice given.

Royals can request an invitation as well to allow them to be in a foreign country for a particular event, e.g. 2005 Charles wanted to come to Australia for a reunion at Geelong Grammar which he had attended and so was able to link that to a tour but the government still had to issue an invitation.

Actually my mother worked for the British High Commission in Canberra so I do know how the communication on these issues is handled. Part of her job, at one stage, was to liase between the Australia Department of Foreign Affairs and the British Foreign Office with regard to the invitations and to whom they would be sent and for what purpose going in both directions.

Officially no royal can visit without an invitation but there are times when the suggestiong for the visit can come from Britain and often the invitation is for a royal rather than for a specific royal. Some are long term planning e.g. two or three years in advance and others at much shorter notice.

I don't know what you and your people are taught about inter-government workings in your education system but as part of our civics course the responsiblities of the different arms of government are taught and this matter regularly is taught - how the Head of State gets invited and the fact that governments send invitations to foreign leaders (not just the royals but all foreign leaders e.g. Obama can't just decide to go somewhere at the moment - he has to be invited by the government of the country he wishes to visit and have the approval of his own government) and that our leaders also have to be invited but that they can suggest that it would be nice to make a visit and therefore get the invitation. This isn't something hidden from the people but rather something that we teach here - I am surprised that you seem to think that this sort of communication, in general, isn't something about which ordinary people would have knowledge.

The invitation, such as the one that Anne accepted for the bushfire memorial service earlier this year, is mostly for 'a royal' or can be for a specific royal. I am sure that you are fully aware that these things rarely happen with only a moments notice, unlike Anne's visit but with years of planning. Charles and The Queen both do two major tours a year but there are many other royals who can be invited with little notice given.

Royals can request an invitation as well to allow them to be in a foreign country for a particular event, e.g. 2005 Charles wanted to come to Australia for a reunion at Geelong Grammar which he had attended and so was able to link that to a tour but the government still had to issue an invitation.

Actually my mother worked for the British High Commission in Canberra so I do know how the communication on these issues is handled. Part of her job, at one stage, was to liase between the Australia Department of Foreign Affairs and the British Foreign Office with regard to the invitations and to whom they would be sent and for what purpose going in both directions.

Officially no royal can visit without an invitation but there are times when the suggestiong for the visit can come from Britain and often the invitation is for a royal rather than for a specific royal. Some are long term planning e.g. two or three years in advance and others at much shorter notice.

I don't know what you and your people are taught about inter-government workings in your education system but as part of our civics course the responsiblities of the different arms of government are taught and this matter regularly is taught - how the Head of State gets invited and the fact that governments send invitations to foreign leaders (not just the royals but all foreign leaders e.g. Obama can't just decide to go somewhere at the moment - he has to be invited by the government of the country he wishes to visit and have the approval of his own government) and that our leaders also have to be invited but that they can suggest that it would be nice to make a visit and therefore get the invitation. This isn't something hidden from the people but rather something that we teach here - I am surprised that you seem to think that this sort of communication, in general, isn't something about which ordinary people would have knowledge.

It is well understood that royals or government representatives for that matter, only visit another state when invited.

Hoever, IMO, little of what you have said is either new, or contains information that would suggest you might have an information to back up your previous contention that "when an invitation is sent a royal comes", or "the royals are sent as often as invited" or "but they aren't invited all that often" - all of which seem to suggest that the royal family either does not have enough invitations to visit countries around the world, or go running to visit a country the moment any invitation may materialise.

OMG he is going to visit Czech republic!! I'm so happy...

It would be interesting to have C&C visit Singapore, Malaysia, Thaniland and possibly NZ sometime soon

Not all Royal visits are at the Government's invite

There are official tours, where the royal is invited by the government, but sometimes the are 'private' visits. Often a royal (not the Queen or Prince Charles usually) will visit one of their charities or regiments.

Prince Edward travels a lot because of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards. In the last year and a half Canada has been visited at least twice by The Princess Royal, twice by The Earl of Wessex (once with Sophie), once by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, once by the Queen and Prince Philip and I believe once by The Duke of York. Princess Alexandra was supposed to visit, but it was canceled because of the swine flu. The only official visits were by the top four.

ABC - Anywhere But Canada - kinda expensive for a Canadian taxpayer + more fun to see them in exotic countries

Isn't it going to be just as expensive for all the other taxpayers who countries C&C visit?
I'd like to see them visit more Commonwealth nation countries.

I wish they would come to the Central Florida area and visit.

I would like them to visit Austria.

I love that idea too.. Austria has a lot of history of so many things.

As we're musing where they could go.. I'd suggest they take time and have a totally secluded getaway in one of my favorite places in the world to go. The Shenandoah National Park.. Imagine! the only things peering in their window would be a curious deer!

Shenandoah National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Come to Florida the Sunshine State.

It's strange how royals tend to visit places like NY and Washington when Florida is just as attractive. Or California, Houston or San Fransisco.

I do wish someone would come up and visit Yorkshire again, last time someone was here it was 2002 and I was away.

It seems like when the royals do visit the Central Florida area, they usually go to the attractions with their children and families. This is usually Disney, although I imagine they go to the other places (Universal, Sea World) as well.

It's strange how royals tend to visit places like NY and Washington when Florida is just as attractive. Or California, Houston or San Fransisco.

I wonder why?:whistling:

FYI: C&C visited San Fran and CA when they visited the US in 2005.

I do wish someone would come up and visit Yorkshire again, last time someone was here it was 2002 and I was away.

I am reasonably sure that Charles & Camilla have visited Yorkshire since their wedding. I also thought Charles visited Yorkshire again a few years ago after the floods

I wonder why?:whistling:

FYI: C&C visited San Fran and CA when they visited the US in 2005.

I wonder why as well, that's why I made the point. And really, I didn't know.

I am reasonably sure that Charles & Camilla have visited Yorkshire since their wedding. I also thought Charles visited Yorkshire again a few years ago after the floods

In 2006, they visited Ripon and Harrogate in connection with Agriculture and Horses. Prince Charles visited Sheffield as Patron of the Festival of Muslim Culture.
In 2008, The Prince of Wales visited West Yorkshire in connection with The Princes Trust/Regeneration Trust.
In 2009, Prince Charles and DOC, visited Leeds in connection with charity and business work.
This is according to the Court Circular and looking at the map, seems like 10-15 events in 5 years. IMO they, and other royals should visit 'up north' more often.

Without stating the obvious, Washington DC happens to be the capital, and where the President is based. As guests of the President, one would expect the visiting royals to visit the President.

Also, lets be clear, most royals visiting the US on official visits tend not be looking for places "just as attractive" - their itenararies are based on important meetings or for causes they support as opposed to "just as attractive" places.

When C&C visited the US in 2005, they visited amongst other places, New Orleans to see first hand the impact of Katrina. Hardly as "attractive" location.

Last edited by a moderator:
ABC - Anywhere But Canada - kinda expensive for a Canadian taxpayer + more fun to see them in exotic countries
Yes anywhere but here. Thanking you in advance. Pls go to India as they are able to truly accomodate you there.

Yes anywhere but here. Thanking you in advance. Pls go to India as they are able to truly accomodate you there.

What was that comment about?:previous:

well i always enjoy it when members of the royal family come to canada it reminds people here hopefully a bit of who we are and where we come from as a nation.
being so close to the US their culture sometimes feels overwhelming so its nice to have them here to add what little separation from the yanks we can get

I'm not anti-American, but I agree with you about the Royal Family making us distinct from our cousins to the south.

being so close to the US their culture sometimes feels overwhelming so its nice to have them here

In 2006, they visited Ripon and Harrogate in connection with Agriculture and Horses. Prince Charles visited Sheffield as Patron of the Festival of Muslim Culture.
In 2008, The Prince of Wales visited West Yorkshire in connection with The Princes Trust/Regeneration Trust.
In 2009, Prince Charles and DOC, visited Leeds in connection with charity and business work.
This is according to the Court Circular and looking at the map, seems like 10-15 events in 5 years. IMO they, and other royals should visit 'up north' more often.

NY and DC? The same reason they visit Ottawa when in Canada, and cities like Edmonton and Victoria, and not places like Moosejaw. DC is the capital of the US, it is where the president, the government, foreign embassadors and such are. When they come for a state visit, it is of course where they come. It is also home to the OAS, which the UK has visitor status on. New York is the financial capital of the US, as well as home to the United Nations.

They go to places like Disney land when on private family trips with kids. Their usual trips are political affairs, and they go to the vities most important. They don't have time to take a bus tour through Wisconsin.

Charles used to come to Wellington/Palm Beach Florida to play polo in the winter when he was younger. He used to take the concorde over and back.

What I would like to see and I think it is well within the realm of possibility is for Charles and Camilla to visit and tour countries and areas that have been hit by devastation such as Chile, Haiti, Australia, Indonesia etc. As much as Charles is an activist on global warming and earth changes, I'd imagine he would be very interested in seeing first hand what happens with mega earthquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes and floods. As PoW now and future King, this would give a humanitarian aspect to a cause he's very passionate about.

yes I think they should come to Morocco that would be nice.
I don't think they ever visit Morocco.Queen did it twice but Prince Charles.

Back
Top Bottom