The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Just a quick question, and I apologize if this is stupid, but why were some Australians upset that the Queen issued a statement supporting England? I know that she's the head of the Commonwealth and that Australia is part of the Commonwealth, but she was born and raised in England....one would think she'd support them, right?

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Because she's also Queen of Australia and Queen of Canada.

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry
Question: Who has to initiate the legislature? I just can't see the BRF doing so.
It would more than likely be the monarch privately with his Prime Minister, who would introduce it in the House of Commons.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
Just a quick question, and I apologize if this is stupid, but why were some Australians upset that the Queen issued a statement supporting England? I know that she's the head of the Commonwealth and that Australia is part of the Commonwealth, but she was born and raised in England....one would think she'd support them, right?
I agree 100% it is natural for her to support England, but I think the Commonwealth has a lot of expectations from her since she has made it a high priority throughout her reign to represent them, to not forget them. She has usually taken her Commonwealth "duty" very seriously. It was a tough position for her to be in, however. I don't envy her at all. I can't imagine being in such a no-win situation. If she had supported Australia, would England have been upset? Maybe the better thing for her to do was not to say anything about it?? I don't know. That is tough.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson
It would more than likely be the monarch privately with his Prime Minister, who would introduce it in the House of Commons.
No....the Sovereign reigns, but does not rule. The Prime Minister would consult with the Cabinet and take soundings in the Commons. If a majority were in favor of legislation, then The King would be so advised.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
So in other words the legislature has not been brought before the Prime Minister for action, right? So this is something that might not ever happen? The Prime Minister would have to decide if he wants to push the issue or not.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
No....the Sovereign reigns, but does not rule. The Prime Minister would consult with the Cabinet and take soundings in the Commons. If a majority were in favor of legislation, then The King would be so advised.
I didn't say the sovereign would order the Prime Minister to do it, but would more than likely tell the PM that it was the course of action the family would like taken, and could he please go see if it can be done?
Old 06-01-2007, 04:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder
So if future princes of Wales should devote so much of their time to the principality, should Prince Andrew be hanging out in York? Should Edward and Sophie set up shop in Wessex? Should Philip have a pied-de-terre in Edinburgh? How aften are the Gloucesters and Kents in those corners of the kingdom?
It's not as simple as that. Wales is a country, the other places are not and because
Wales is a country the prince of Wales should spend more time there.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
So in other words the legislature has not been brought before the Prime Minister for action, right? So this is something that might not ever happen? The Prime Minister would have to decide if he wants to push the issue or not.
That's correct. The issue was what Camilla would be styled as upon marriage to Prince Charles. Tony Blair made it clear she legally shared equal rank and the titles of her husband, but had chosen to be known as The Duchess of Cornwall (obviously with the consent of The Queen as fount of honour).

The issue of her future title and style would be considered when the time comes, but her preference was to be known as The Princess Consort, rather than Queen. Whether a future PM and Parliament will agree to this precedent is another matter altogether.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson
I didn't say the sovereign would order the Prime Minister to do it, but would more than likely tell the PM that it was the course of action the family would like taken, and could he please go see if it can be done?
I highly doubt Charles would ask the Prime Minister to consider removing his wife's legal right to hold precedence and title as Queen. She is automatically Queen the moment he becomes The Sovereign and any variation is purely a political matter for Parliament, not the Crown.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I highly doubt Charles would ask the Prime Minister to consider removing his wife's legal right to hold precedence and title as Queen.
It would certainly be novel if one of the new King's first acts was to focus attention on his wife's status by requesting she be officially and humiliatingly downgraded!
I can't see Charles equating his "darling Camilla" with the hapless Queen Caroline.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I agree 100% it is natural for her to support England, but I think the Commonwealth has a lot of expectations from her since she has made it a high priority throughout her reign to represent them, to not forget them. She has usually taken her Commonwealth "duty" very seriously. It was a tough position for her to be in, however. I don't envy her at all. I can't imagine being in such a no-win situation. If she had supported Australia, would England have been upset? Maybe the better thing for her to do was not to say anything about it?? I don't know. That is tough.
Of course support her homeland, but there's no reason as to why the Queen couldn't have supported both, or all teams which retain her as monarch. Sending a viedo message (as has been done for various other occasions) would not have been too much to ask of HM the Queen of Australia

But, back to Camilla...
Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Of course support her homeland, but there's no reason as to why the Queen couldn't have supported both, or all teams which retain her as monarch. Sending a viedo message (as has been done for various other occasions) would not have been too much to ask of HM the Queen of Australia
I fully expect her to give her main support to her homeland, but a simple message of good wishes and encouragement to the teams of all the countries of which she is Queen would have been nice.

I wonder whether she would have sent the message if England had been competing against Scotland or Wales or Northern Ireland?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
But, back to Camilla...
Old 06-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Royal Highness

I do not think that Camilla was honoring Diana at all by choosing to be called the Duchess of Cornwall--seriously, Diana referred to Camilla as the "Rottweiller". I highly doubt that honor is the reason for not using the title of PoW. I honestly think that Camilla was just being a lady about everything--her stepsons' feelings, the feelings of the British people, etc....I agree that it is her title, Princess of Wales, and if she wants it she should use it, but Duchess suits Camilla so well. Besides, she will be Queen one day, and that is title superior to that of Princess. I think that Camilla has become a true asset to the monarchy, and her future title will reflect that.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
It would certainly be novel if one of the new King's first acts was to focus attention on his wife's status by requesting she be officially and humiliatingly downgraded!
I can't see Charles equating his "darling Camilla" with the hapless Queen Caroline.
Definitely can't see that scenario. However, if the PM took it upon himself to seek action, how do all think this would sit with the people of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth Nations? (hope that's right) I mean what is really the issue here that she's a divorcee? That 'King Charles' and Camilla had an affair? What's really the issue since Diana wouldn't have been a queen anyway?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Definitely can't see that scenario. However, if the PM took it upon himself to seek action, how do all think this would sit with the people of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth Nations? (hope that's right) I mean what is really the issue here that she's a divorcee? That 'King Charles' and Camilla had an affair? What's really the issue since Diana wouldn't have been a queen anyway?
If that many Britons are so opposed when the time comes, the question of an abdication becomes inevitable. Parliament may reach the conclusion the people no longer consent to the monarchy and consider far more reaching changes.

I doubt there will be any meaningful objections to Camilla being Queen. But we'll have to wait and see.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Royal Highness

I hope it won't come too that either especially when those opposed can't give you legitimate reason why Camilla shouldn't be queen.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
Never.... George IV was not in love with his wife; he wanted rid of her. Charles is desperately in love with Camilla. No comparison there.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
Never.... George IV was not in love with his wife; he wanted rid of her. Charles is desperately in love with Camilla. No comparison there.
And Queen Caroline was a hardly respectable consort....she was known to be quite indifferent to monogamy and had many affairs openly throughout Europe.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Royal Highness

I know that Camilla is legally entittled to the royal titles, etc. but in my mind she'll only have one (okay maybe several), and it isn't a pleasant one.

Closed Thread

Tags
camilla, camilla parker bowles, duchess of cornwall, princess consort, queen consort, styles and titles