The Prince of Wales's 70th Birthday: November 14, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing I've noticed about how the British do things is reflected by the Queen, herself. If its an occasion that celebrates the monarchy such as Trooping the Color, Jubilees etc, its time for a public celebration as the monarchy belongs to the people. If its a personal milestone such as a birthday, wedding anniversary or such, other than the official Queen's birthday (Trooping the Color), HM prefers that there isn't a huge, public fuss and marks it privately.

The British royal family is consistently mirroring the monarchy of the UK and the Commonwealth and we, as the onlookers, want to know and see *everything* pertaining to these people. With drawing the line between public and private, this family does sometimes get to be just a family once in a while and keep things to themselves out of the public eye.

The Times has an absolutely beautiful feature on Charles with a large number of new and never before seen pictures of Charles for his 70th.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/magazine...l-charles-the-prince-of-wales-at-70-vb029l6lc

Of note, there's a third picture of the whole Wales family series that's just delightful. There's also a great picture of Charles looking at some papers in a private room at Dumfries House in which he's the spitting image of Phillip.

Sadly that article is behind a pay-wall so only the picture of Charles with Louis is available for those of us who don't subscribe to The Times.

Sadly that article is behind a pay-wall so only the picture of Charles with Louis is available for those of us who don't subscribe to The Times.
But I enjoyed seeing the picture of Charles and Louis. A pity we don't see more pictures of Charles with his grandchildren.

The Times has an absolutely beautiful feature on Charles with a large number of new and never before seen pictures of Charles for his 70th.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/magazine...l-charles-the-prince-of-wales-at-70-vb029l6lc

Of note, there's a third picture of the whole Wales family series that's just delightful. There's also a great picture of Charles looking at some papers in a private room at Dumfries House in which he's the spitting image of Phillip.

For those of us who are not subscribers could you describe the other photos?

For those of us who are not subscribers could you describe the other photos?

The third picture of the series of the entire Wales family has already surfaced on Twitter:
The other striking ones, to me, were:

• a picture of Charles at work in his "garden office" at Highgrove, sunnies on, and at least two mail bags/boxes, as well as an office phone.
  • the picture I mentioned of him in a private sitting room at Dumfries House (room is very English Country - lots of green florals and a huge basket of logs) in which he's looking down at a folder of papers; he really does look *exactly* like Philip in it.
  • a couple of pictures of him feeding his prize chickens wearing Wellies, chinos, and a pink-ish dress shirt
  • A lovely shot of he and Anne absolutely gutting themselves over something - looks like it was taken at BP
  • a candid pic of Charles, William and Harry taken during the photo shoot for the RAF centenary celebrations that they used for his birthday stamp

Somehow I managed to luck into that "become a registered user and get access to two articles a week" arrangement that the Times had; it doesn't appear that they have it any more.

It’s possible to read the article simply by registering & doesn’t require payment.

It is a lovely article & some great photos. I enjoyed the pied piper pic of Charles with his chickens following him & all the family photos are wonderful.

I have to pay. I have tried to register in the past and always get told that I have to pay and I am not going to do that - that there is no 'free' number of articles per week/month/year as happens on other sites.

hel, thank you for the descriptions. Some of those photos sound as though they were taken at the same time as some of the footage for the recent documentary for Charles's 70 birthday. I remember the scene of Charles and Anne laughing uproariously right before the Commonwealth meeting at BP, and the feeding the chickens sounds familiar, too.

Love the photo of Louis grabbing on to Charles--that's the one I've wanted to see ever since Camilla mentioned it existed. Thank you so much for linking that!

The extra photos are a special treat! Thank you.
It's generous of The family to publish the private shots of a relaxed and happy family, a giggly Grandpa and a very self assured little Charlotte.
After a great birthday celebration, hopefully good health remains with them all.

Louis looks like such a happy baby, as do all of W & K children. ?

see one of the pictures is this helpful overview by Hello (although still no pictures of princess Beatrix it seems and of the royal houses I'm also still looking for Liechtenstrein - assuming Sweden didn't attend).
Could "Hello" possibly have chosen worse pictures of most of some of the royals to print? The one of the Duke of Kent was absolutely ghastly...and of course poor Princess Beatrice was shown wide-eyed. I'm sure better pictures of both of them were available (I know there were better ones of Beatrice!)

Thanks for posting the links, great pics, particularly love the ones with the grandchildren and the one of P.Charles and P.Anne

A little snippet from the article for those who can't see it:

On a sunny September afternoon, the nickname (Grandpa Wales) rang out around the gardens at Clarence House, his London home. Grandpa Wales beamed as he savoured cuddles with a five-month-old Prince Louis, while a cheeky George vied for the prime spot, clambering onto Charles’s lap for a family photo to mark his milestone (see image above).

Charles was in his element as Charlotte swung off his arms, while the Duke of Sussex larked about, pinching his father’s pocket square, and his newest grandchild tweaked his nose. It was, says Jackson, “the happiest I have seen him”.

“It was lovely chaos with the children,” he adds. “He is a very hands-on grandfather. He was holding hands with George and Charlotte, and bouncing Louis up and down for a long time. George was very happy on the prince’s knee. They have a great relationship that’s a little more established, as George is a bit older.”

You can see the pictures on this Tumblr, if you don't have a Times-subscription:

Princess Marie of Denmark & Family

Great photos. Charles seems very down to earth and approachable. My favourite is this photo of him and who I presume is Louis. Love the photos of Charles with the children swimming and of him feeding the chickens, too.
I think he'd be a really interesting person to have a conversation with!

Thanks for the additional photos. I can't tell which is my favorite...Charles holding Louis or looking smashing driving the Aston with his shades on!

:previous: They are both wonderful. I was thinking every gentleman should sport drool as an essential accessory! That photo was so endearing but for me, it would be him in his elderly Aston Marton complete with the EJECT button. And people say he has no sense of humour. :lol: ?

My favorite photos of Charles are the ones that show him "at home". Then again, that'd be just about every photo taken for his 70th. He's "at home" with himself, his family and his passions. I think he's thoroughly enjoying his role as "Grandpa Wales" and I have to think he's finally gotten the little girl he's always wanted in Charlotte.

These are indeed very lovely pictures. The garden setting looked really nice and the family photos very sweet. Great momentos of Charles's 70th year. Thanks for posting them.

Chris not only did a great job with taking these pictures, but he took pictures of a man I really admire. If I’m blessed to live long enough, I hope I have the energy, passion and the zest for life just like The Prince of Wales.

Charles is very admirable, I wish he was king already.

I, too, think Charles is going to do a wonderful job as King. Like everything else he's done, he's going to pour his heart and soul into it. I don't believe though that he's in any particular rush to wear the crown. He's defined his role as the Prince of Wales and with his mother slowing down a bit, he's probably got a lot on his plate right now that he'll want to see through to completion and also wants his mother around for as long as he can have her.

He may not be king quite yet but we get a good idea of the kind of king he's going to be.

Back
Top Bottom