The Prince of Wales's 70th Birthday: November 14, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The reports are coming originally from The Sun, and then have been copied by other "agencies". But the event in Rotherham is in the daytime, and the party we assume is in the evening so there's plenty of time. I will be very very surprised if they miss it.

Has aguest list been released for the Prince Birthday Gala at the Palace?

Hopefully recent Brexit news won't overshadow the party tomorrow.

Sure William and Kate will attend the party in the evening, daytime engagements mean nothing. Look at how the Queen's younger children were all in London on Remembrance Sunday morning for the Cenotaph service but all had travelled to Cardiff, Belfast or Glasgow by late afternoon.

Continuation of post 109. - More articles from The Telegraph:

Gordon Rayner's awkward encounter with Prince Charles: 'He looked at me warily. I panicked and broke royal protocol'
As introductions go, it was on the awkward side. I was in a tiny souvenir shop in Morocco when I unintentionally found myself face-to-face with the Prince of Wales for the first time.

Shadowing him as The Telegraph’s recently appointed royal correspondent, I was trying to keep a respectful distance, my job being to observe not to participate, but the few square feet of available floor space made it impossible to avoid each other.

He turned. He looked at me. A wary look, unsmiling. I panicked, and broke royal protocol by speaking first. ‘Good morning, Your Royal Highness,’ I said, nervously. ‘Morning,’ he returned, flatly, before asking me where I was from. I had a distinct feeling of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I entirely understand any wariness on the Prince’s part. He has, after all, had a rough ride from the media. Ribbed over his talking to plants; vilified for cheating on Diana, Princess of Wales; accused of meddling because of his ‘black spider’ memos to ministers.
Although he took against the BBC’s Nick Witchell (‘that awful man’ as he famously called him), he takes a personal interest in those he regards as fair, asking after children and spouses, and taking great delight in ribbing us about any misfortunes we suffer on tours.

--------------------

Thrifty Prince Charles keeps bag of scrap material to repair suits 30 years on.
Anderson & Sheppard, which has been supplying the Prince with tailor-made suits for more than 30 years, keeps a special box of leftover material from every garment ever made for him, on the off-chance it is ever needed again.

It is believed to include material from the grey morning suit the Prince wore to the wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, first tailored in 1984 and worn many times since.

In a special issue of Country Life magazine, which the Prince has guest edited on the occasion of his 70th birthday, he invites readers behind the scenes at his two best-known tailors, Ede & Ravenscroft and Anderson & Sheppard.

Last edited:
I think these are the embargoed pictures that are due to be released tomorrow. They are lovely though! :flowers:

I think we have to remember that this is Charles' birthday first and foremost, considering how private the RF is, it's lucky we're getting this at all.

I don't think there's a lot to understand, it's quite clear that due to age the Queen might not be so comfortable wearing tiaras or heavy jewellery, and then it's not proper to wear one if The Queen isn't. To suggest that they sell them for money to give to charity is rather silly, some of their pieces are family heirlooms which have been passed down for generations. That would be like me selling my great grandmothers pearl earrings because i've only worn them on my wedding day.

The Swedish RF also have a lot more annual events where tiaras can be seen, events that simply don't happen in the UK.

I was just expressing my frustration in that statement. I really don't want them to sell them. I didn't even think about the weight of the jewelry regarding her age. I'm sorry. I just wish there were more tiara events.

The Luxembourg Grand Ducal Court has just confirmed the attendance of the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess at tomorrow's party..

The BRF have cut back on tiara events, for a number of reasons.

1. The Queen's doens't like wearing them due to their weight.

2. They don't want to rub their wealth into the noses of the British public.

3. Many of the aristocracy have had to sell their tiaras to pay death duties while the BRF have been able to protect their jewels by doing two things - i) putting them in the Royal Collection (so can't be sold and actually belong to the nation) and ii) sovereign to sovereign inheritance being death tax free - again giving the BRF a right that isn't held by other members of the British public so let's not publicise too often that we have a right that the rest of the nation doesn't have.

Who will be at the birthday party? We may find out on the night itself.

If William and Kate don't attend (and I do expect them to do so) that means they will have missed every event to celebrate Charles' birthday - there have been three and they have been to none. Harry and Meghan delayed their honeymoon to attend the first one and were overseas for the second while William and Kate didn't attend either the Garden Party or the event organised by Camilla. As this one is organised by The Queen I would expect William to be there. He wouldn't insult the Queen by refusing her invitation.

Last edited:
Absolutely adorable pictures! I'm sorry if they were released without the approval of Calrence House. I feel bad about it.

I finally got around to watch the BBC documentary Charles at 70. I was honestly disappointed. It seemed very superficial and not very informative or cohesive. They could have included some interviews with his siblings as well. The Duchess of Cornwall could have gotten a bit more time. Prince Harry was the one to speak the most but in an overconfident tone which I really didn't like. William was not well portrayed and was even out of focus and on a the background most of the time. I was expecting more.

Last edited:
Not that I know of. It’s just obvious. The family will be there.

Whilst it might be obvious, it’s not fact. We won’t know who’s attending until we potentially see them tomorrow. We all assume we’ll have arrivals pictures of some description.

Whilst it might be obvious, it’s not fact. We won’t know who’s attending until we potentially see them tomorrow. We all assume we’ll have arrivals pictures of some description.

As Anne, Andrew and Edward all have apartments in BP it is possible that we won't see any of them arriving dressed for an evening event as they could simply arrive and then change there.

We may see the Cambridges and Sussexes arrive.

We may get some sort of images - like the Christmas lunch and diplomatic reception of heads of people in cars arriving as they drive through the gates but otherwise I am not expecting much.

It is a private event and not an official engagement for any of them. The British royals tend to keep private events exactly that - private.

I saw that the Luxes are coming too...what a nice group it's turning into!

LaRae

Really surprised to see Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia present together,Sofia is normally left to go alone to these events.

Really surprised to see Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia present together,Sofia is normally left to go alone to these events.

But Juan Carlos accompanied her to the 80th birthday celebrations in Norway and the 70th birthday of King Carl Gustaf.

But Juan Carlos accompanied her to the 80th birthday celebrations in Norway and the 70th birthday of King Carl Gustaf.

Yes the first time they'd been seen together in over 6 months .

I am disappointed too. Why is there a tiara event for King Harald and Queen Sonja 80th birthday and King Carl Gustaf's 70th but we don't get one for Prince Charles's 70th? I know he is not King yet but there wasn't one for Queen Elizabeth's 90th. I just don't understand. Why don't the BRF show wear all their jewels and tiaras like they used to but the Scandinavian Royals show theirs off at every opportunity (which I think is a good thing). I don't get it. I want to see the jewels!!! It seems a waste of money and if they are not going to wear them, just sell them to make money for charity. It is so disappointing.

Is there a possibility that the invitations, while indicating black tie, might also say that Tiaras May Be Worn?

Really like these pictures. They should do more like this. Louis is so cute and chubby.

Fantastic to hear that Juan Carlos and Sofia are attending - I wasn't sure if they would given that there wasn't any British representation at their birthday celebrations (I now know that their relations aren't as close as I thought). I'm looking forward into seeing photos of the celebrations, they're going to be great for us royal watchers.
I also watched the comedy line ups in honour of Charles's birthday - it was very entertaining like the usual entertainment programmes honouring royal milestones are, and Charles and Camilla both seemed to enjoy themselves. There was a good line up on stage (or from my point of view, at least, haha).

The official family portraits are fantastic! I agree, ACO, they should do more pictures like this. Charles’s branch of the family isn’t growing so beautifully. It should be captured whenever possible.

It looks like there will be a good turn out of foreign royalty for the event, which is nice to see.

I thought the family pictures were lovely. Louis and his cheeks!!

The BRF have cut back on tiara events, for a number of reasons.

1. The Queen's doens't like wearing them due to their weight.

2. They don't want to rub their wealth into the noses of the British public.

3. Many of the aristocracy have had to sell their tiaras to pay death duties while the BRF have been able to protect their jewels by doing two things - i) putting them in the Royal Collection (so can't be sold and actually belong to the nation) and ii) sovereign to sovereign inheritance being death tax free - again giving the BRF a right that isn't held by other members of the British public so let's not publicise too often that we have a right that the rest of the nation doesn't have.

Who will be at the birthday party? We may find out on the night itself.

If William and Kate don't attend (and I do expect them to do so) that means they will have missed every event to celebrate Charles' birthday - there have been three and they have been to none. Harry and Meghan delayed their honeymoon to attend the first one and were overseas for the second while William and Kate didn't attend either the Garden Party or the event organised by Camilla. As this one is organised by The Queen I would expect William to be there. He wouldn't insult the Queen by refusing her invitation.

Bertie, while I think that you are way more informed on Royal matters than I am, I wonder about the BRF's rare tiara events compared to the other Royal Families. I don't think it's about rubbing wealth into noses, as tiara-wearing is the least of BRF wealth-displaying. A single well-attended grouse shoot weekend at Balmoral costs as much as a tiara.

Also, smarter aristos, like the Westminsters, took steps to protect their assets, like the BRF. Other families may have done the same. Besides, pointing to the peers and others who have sold tiaras, like the Kents, will not exactly resonate with British wage earners. Selling off a tiara is not indicative of poverty.

Love the new family photos to mark the Prince's birthday and I share the sentiments that we should see more photos like this in the future!

Back
Top Bottom