The Prince of Wales's 70th Birthday: November 14, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sigh, the BRF is completely unreasonably stingy with pics. They used to share so much more pic wise than they do now.

But happy birthday Charles!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hardly call it a "speech". More like a quick toast.

I thought it was very sweet--humorous (Duchy Original indeed!), affectionate, and it made clear how proud she is of him. It didn't need to be long, because she hit all the important points in a brief and meaningful way.

It was a dear toast to Prince Charles on his birthday.
Great pictures and super jewels.
Camilla looked ravishing.

The pictures from the Spencer House Tea were delightfully happy.
Does anyone please know? Who were the other sixty-nine inspirational seventy year olds at the Age UK Tea at Spencer House? It would have been fun.

Yes, I can see no good reason why they would resist releasing several official group photos. There has been good coverage if Charles’ important milestone across all media and there is a genuine fondness and warmth towards him. This is the main event to mark the occasion, yes it is a private party, but there’s nothing intrusive about such photos and I would argue in the public interest.

I agree. Just like I don’t understand why more photos like the ones they released yesterday aren’t released more often. I don’t think they are intrusive, but certainly gives enough of a look into the closeness between the royal family members.

I thought it was very sweet--humorous (Duchy Original indeed!), affectionate, and it made clear how proud she is of him. It didn't need to be long, because she hit all the important points in a brief and meaningful way.

It was the most personal and touching speech, or toast, I have ever heard from HM. It was just wonderful. I think she was very intent on making it a happy night for her son.

It’s so good to see HRH The Duchess of Kent there and Zara & Mike attended as well.
http://worldofwindsor.tumblr.com/post/180122733403/drubles-bestgum1-princess-eugenie-of-york-with

Pictures:
The King and Queen of Norway, The Crown Prince and Princess of Denmark, Prince Albert of Monaco, and Zara Tindall leaving the party-

Catherine, The King and Queen of Belgium, Prince Nicholas and Tatiana of Greece and Queen Sofia and Princess Irene leave the party-

Last edited:
I agree. Just like I don’t understand why more photos like the ones they released yesterday aren’t released more often. I don’t think they are intrusive, but certainly gives enough of a look into the closeness between the royal family members.
I quite agree: there was a wonderful family photograph of The Queen and Duke on their 60th Wedding Anniversary, but NOTHING like it for their 70th. I thought that was a shame.

The first time of Meghan meeting so many of our royal counterparts tonight. I’m surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

That's right Dman and I'm sure it was a great experience for Meghan. Of course most of the other younger members of the BRF wouldn't have an intimate knowledge of some of the European royals either.

Should be a wonderful night for Meghan meeting all the other Royals. Ten years ago they released more photos from Charles's 60 th but it was a few days afterwards.
The press managed good photos of Maxima and Mary leaving their hotels 10 yrs ago. So perhaps we just have to be patient and wait for photos to be released.

I love the photos we did get celebrating Charles' 70th. I'm sure that all who attended this party had a wonderful time. Its such a rarity that a person that turns 70 years old has both his parents there to celebrate with him and looking around the room, Charles had a lot to be happy about seeing family and friends all gathered together for a happy occasion.

That's right Dman and I'm sure it was a great experience for Meghan. Of course most of the other younger members of the BRF wouldn't have an intimate knowledge of some of the European royals either.

I think so, too. And I love how she and Kate obviously coordinated their appearances. I doubt Meghan would have worn such large, glitzy earrings if Kate didn't, so I bet these two planned these outfits together. I just hope they are not as stupid as Diana and Sarah were who alled the media to create rifts between them which the media then could publish and enjoy. I love eg how Maghan shows so much deverence to William and Catherine as well as to Charles, Camilla, Philip and the queen.

If anything, both Kate and Meghan would work in tandem to assure that the media is kept on right side of the red line in the sand when it comes to their privacy. They're family and not about to become media circus clowns for our entertainment. Those days are long gone.

As far as deference, both ladies know how the royal family works and are comfortable enough in their own skins to be a part of a team rather than a solo act. :D

Queen Sofia was there with her sister Princess Irene but I didn't see King Juan Carlos?

Sigh, the BRF is completely unreasonably stingy with pics. They used to share so much more pic wise than they do now.

But happy birthday Charles!

There is no difference with -for an example- the 50th birthday of King Willem-Alexander, last year. Also that event was completely shielded. So it is not exclusively the British royal family being frugal with pictures.

Nice to see Lady Gabriella and her fiance there but a pity that Albert of Monaco attended another royal gathering alone. Princess Charlene just won't mix with other royals anymore. Strange.

Wonder which necklace the Queen of the Belgians is wearing. Pity that there is no good pic of her.

I was going to post exactly the same question when I saw your message. It doesn't look like the Wolfers necklace, but it is hard to see.

I was going to post exactly the same question when I saw your message. It doesn't look like the Wolfers necklace, but it is hard to see.
I think it is the Wolfers.

Why oh why does Princess Charlene not want to turn up to parties for foreign royals. Perhaps she's shy, but it's a bit unfair IMO for Prince Albert to be always turning up to these affairs alone. After all, it's a jolly get-together not an execution :whistling: and she need only be away for a day and a night. Her absences just seems very strange to me, and I'm sure other royals notice.

Why oh why does Princess Charlene not want to turn up to parties for foreign royals. Perhaps she's shy, but it's a bit unfair IMO for Prince Albert to be always turning up to these affairs alone. After all, it's a jolly get-together not an execution :whistling: and she need only be away for a day and a night. Her absences just seems very strange to me, and I'm sure other royals notice.

Yes, it's increasingly odd, and does make one wonder what's going on.

Her life is with those babies. I never believed she was happy until the twins arrived. I think that’s where she prefers to be, with them. It was good to see Albert though.

Last edited:
By my count pretty much every monarchy in Europe was represented along with several non reigning houses. Great turnout.

she prefers to be, with them.

All very sweet. etc. etc. But NOT GOOD ENOUGH. When she undertook to become Princess of Monaco, she undertook to represent the Monegasques, along side her husband. Her failure to do so is a disappointment , and something of a dereliction of that DUTY..
It is only 15 hours absence from the children MAX !

I think it is the Wolfers.

It is not the Wolfers. It looks similar to the necklace she wore in 2007 for the then Prince of Orrange's 40th birthday. I think that one has only be seen one that occasion.

The Kensington Palace residents should have carpooled for the BD party of this eco prince [emoji6]

It is the Wolfers necklace. See the jewels thread for a more clear picture.

Last Sunday we saw Charlène in Paris, with the King of Spain, the Grand-Duke and - Duchess of Luxembourg, with the King and Crown Prince of Morocco, so she does attend gatherings so now and then.

Back
Top Bottom