The Prince of Wales's 70th Birthday: November 14, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking like this 70th Birthday bash is going to be a major royal �� I hope some official pictures are released.
IMO, at best you will see the following:

1) A picture of the core family at the party
2) Pictures of arrivals

2) Pictures of arrivals

That’s would be great! I hope it’s not too bad to wish for a big group picture too.

2) Pictures of arrivals

Fingers crossed that we see at least that much!

Will not any members of the Spanish Royal Family be at the party?

Sofia has no event on the agenda, strange if she is not going. I am sure the invitation has been extended to her, with the Kings being in Peru, since another of the retired Queens is going (Beatrix).

I'm sure Sophia must be going and some of the Greek royal family. Perhaps they've just not made an announcement.

Besides the Cambridges and the Sussexes who else in the family is coming and is this a tiara event?

Besides the Cambridges and the Sussexes who else in the family is coming and is this a tiara event?
I suspect they all are: Andrew, the Wessex', Anne & Tim, Gloucesters, all the Kents of that generation, Margaret 's children and their spouses. ..

I have this crazy thought that Charles knows this will be his last major birthday where he is not HM. And that, knowing that, he chose congeniality over statesmanship for his party. And I am OK with it.

And I think it is black tie - so no tiaras.

I am pleasantly surprised that the Queen decided to extend official invitations to the other European royal houses to attend the PoW’s 70th birthday celebration. Hopefully , that will signal the end of the Windsors’ “ splendid isolation” .

I am disappointed that it won’t be a white-tie event, but I suppose a lavish, white-tie dinner would be “ politically incorrect” given the current public opinion mood in the UK.

I am pleasantly surprised that the Queen decided to extend official invitations to the other European royal houses to attend the PoW’s 70th birthday celebration. Hopefully , that will signal the end of the Windsors’ “ splendid isolation” .

I am disappointed that it won’t be a white-tie event, but I suppose a lavish, white-tie dinner would be “ politically incorrect” given the current public opinion mood in the UK.
Most European royal houses were represented at Charles' 60th

I have this crazy thought that Charles knows this will be his last major birthday where he is not HM.

I don't know about that. In 5 years his mother may very likely still be Queen and Charles will turn 75--a bigger milestone than 70.

Confirmation from Norway: The King, Queen , Crown Prince, Crown Princess

"14.11.2018 Jubileum Deres Majesteter Kongen og Dronningen er til stede på mottakelse og middag i anledning 70-årsdagen til H.K.H. Prinsen av Wales. DD.KK.HH. Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessen vil også være til stede."

https://www.kongehuset.no/program.html?tid=27511&sek=26946&person=
Thanks eya! :flowers:

I was pretty sure about the Queen (since she's already in London, where she had an engagement on Nowember 8th) and CP Haakon & CP MM (if she was up to it). - But more surprised about the King, who is a bit frail these days.
Also, remember that the Regent-Couple didn't even attend the 50th Birthday Celebrations of CP Frederik back in May (a heir of a neighboring country and the son of their closest royal friend QMII), despite not having other engagements at the time.

---------------------

Prince Charles at 70: Touching tributes from Duchess of Cornwall, Theresa May and Cheryl Cole - Telegraph.
Philanthropist, eco-warrier, author, artist, gardener, father - and heir to the throne of Great Britain. In his many, many roles, the Prince of Wales has touched the lives of our whole nation.

Here, those who know him best pay tribute.
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall

He’s incredibly kind. I don’t think people see his incredible kindness and the things he does behind the scenes. People who worked for him years ago will write to him and if they’ve fallen on hard times he’ll do everything he can to help them. Put them on to the right doctors. I don’t think people see that and it’s not something he shouts about.

The other thing, which probably doesn’t come over as well as it should, is that he has got a very good sense of humour. He’s very funny. He’s also a very good mimic. He rather likes acting. He rather enjoys speeches, unlike some of us. He can mimic most people. He’s very good at any accent. When he’s doing speeches anywhere around the world, somebody will give him three lines [of the local language] and he comes out with the accent.

And, of course, he’s wonderful with children. He doesn’t mind crawling about on the floor for hours with them. We had a picture the other day with Louis pulling on his hair, and he’s not one of those people who says ‘take your hand away’. He loves it. He’s exceptionally good with very small children and babies. He loves to really make them laugh. Getting them out in the garden and showing them things. My grandchildren adore him and they can’t wait to see him. He knows exactly what they’re into.

He never gives up. He will just go on and on until he achieves what he wants. I wish he wouldn’t sometimes! It’s very hard to get him to relax and drag him away from his letters and boxes. He gets completely blinkered, rather like the children watching a favourite television programme. You can’t drag him away.

I don’t think he thinks he’s 70, I think it’s just a number to him. There’s no way that he will slow down. You must be joking. I keep saying 70 is getting on a bit. It’s not very old but it is old. You have to slow down a bit.
Theresa May
Prime Minister

The 70th birthday of the Prince of Wales gives us a chance to reflect on the exemplary service that he has given to the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth for his whole adult life.

As heir to the throne, he has been a tremendous support to Her Majesty the Queen. The Prince’s Trust has helped hundreds of thousands of young people to achieve their dreams. Prince Charles’s commitment to our environment was ahead of his time. His contribution to so many aspects of our national life – from architecture and the built environment, to the arts, culture and the countryside –has been outstanding.

The ancient motto of the Princes of Wales is ‘Ich Dien’ – I serve. We are fortunate indeed to have had the benefit of Prince Charles’s tireless service over five decades. I wish His Royal Highness a wonderful 70th birthday and many happy returns of the day.
David Cameron
Former Prime Minister

One of the privileges of my time as Prime Minister was working with His Royal Highness. During all the engagements, events and meetings we shared, I saw up close his sheer dedication to public service. In any spare moment, the Prince is rarely without a pen in his hand and his paperwork in front of him. His work ethic is remarkable.

I saw as well his passion – and his prescience. Tackling climate change. Protecting wildlife. Creating a built environment that helps communities thrive. Giving young people the opportunities they deserve. These are some of the biggest challenges of our times, and they’re the things Prince Charles has been championing for decades.

I also saw what a fun, kind and family-focused couple the Prince and the Duchess of Cornwall are. Samantha and I enjoyed spending time with them immensely.

Everything Prince Charles does demonstrates his enduring commitment to our country, Commonwealth and planet. I will be joining people from across those realms on 14 November to wish him a very happy 70th birthday.
Tony Blair
Former Prime Minister

Prince Charles has been and remains a remarkable figure in British public life. The innovative and impactful work of The Prince’s Trust, his long-standing interest and foresight on the impact of climate change on our environment and his obvious warmth and respect for the people of the Commonwealth reflect a man of incredible energy and passion.

I had many discussions and quite regular correspondence with the Prince when I was prime minister. I always found these exchanges immensely helpful and his contributions both thoughtful and constructive. I mention this only as a microcosm of the vast contribution he makes to our country – in many cases, behind the scenes. I therefore join with the countless people today who will be congratulating Prince Charles on his 70th birthday this week.
Read the article to see 20 other tributes.

I think George looks a little awkward on Charles' lap. He's too big. It would of looked better if George was sitting to Charles' right with Camilla staying on her husband's left, then maybe have Charlotte on grandpa's lap.

I am disappointed too. Why is there a tiara event for King Harald and Queen Sonja 80th birthday and King Carl Gustaf's 70th but we don't get one for Prince Charles's 70th? I know he is not King yet but there wasn't one for Queen Elizabeth's 90th. I just don't understand. Why don't the BRF show wear all their jewels and tiaras like they used to but the Scandinavian Royals show theirs off at every opportunity (which I think is a good thing). I don't get it. I want to see the jewels!!! It seems a waste of money and if they are not going to wear them, just sell them to make money for charity. It is so disappointing.

I think these are the embargoed pictures that are due to be released tomorrow. They are lovely though! :flowers:

I am disappointed too. Why is there a tiara event for King Harald and Queen Sonja 80th birthday and King Carl Gustaf's 70th but we don't get one for Prince Charles's 70th? I know he is not King yet but there wasn't one for Queen Elizabeth's 90th. I just don't understand. Why don't the BRF show wear all their jewels and tiaras like they used to but the Scandinavian Royals show theirs off at every opportunity (which I think is a good thing). I don't get it. I want to see the jewels!!! It seems a waste of money and if they are not going to wear them, just sell them to make money for charity. It is so disappointing.

I think we have to remember that this is Charles' birthday first and foremost, considering how private the RF is, it's lucky we're getting this at all.

I don't think there's a lot to understand, it's quite clear that due to age the Queen might not be so comfortable wearing tiaras or heavy jewellery, and then it's not proper to wear one if The Queen isn't. To suggest that they sell them for money to give to charity is rather silly, some of their pieces are family heirlooms which have been passed down for generations. That would be like me selling my great grandmothers pearl earrings because i've only worn them on my wedding day.

The Swedish RF also have a lot more annual events where tiaras can be seen, events that simply don't happen in the UK.

Last edited:
Im glad we got two family pictures. Charles with wife, sons &daughter-in-laws, and grandchildren.

Gosh! Those photos are all over the Internet, including other forums. I thought they were just birthday family photos.

Tiara events don't happen in the UK, any more that is. I used to enjoy theatre and ballet premieres where Diana and others would wear tiaras and I hope the next reign brings them back. It's almost as if the BRF are ashamed to wear family jewels any more.

Agree what Lumutqueen said about jewellery.

Every house works differently. I think we all know that compared to the others (British, Dutch, Belgian and Spaniard), the Scandinavian never hesitate to throw out a big jewellery party when it is needed. Didn't W-A have a tiaraless birthday party too?

Oh these are lovely! I don't think George looks awkward at all, it looks as though he and his grandfather have an excellent understanding ? And I love seeing Charlotte and Camilla interacting--it's a little window into the real life of this very private family.

And it's also obvious when the photo of Louis grabbing Charles's hair happened ;)

Last edited:
Regarding the absence of Tiara's -

It is well known that the Prince and his wife enjoy a whirl around the Dance floor, so there is likely to be dancing at the party , and Tiara's can ONLY be a hindrance [and worry] when jigging about..
Just a thought...

So lovely pictures they all.looks happy and have great time toghter,love Louis chubby cheeks :D

Agree what Lumutqueen said about jewellery.

Every house works differently. I think we all know that compared to the others (British, Dutch, Belgian and Spaniard), the Scandinavian never hesitate to throw out a big jewellery party when it is needed. Didn't W-A have a tiaraless birthday party too?

There was a big diadem event on the eve of his kingship. But on his 50th birthday WA organised a sea-side sports day amongst the royal and other guests and in the evening there was a dance party in the Royal Mews. It was no event and no venue for formal white tie, uniforms, orders and diadems. It is is not for shaming about jewels but often simply also what a birthday boy would like to organize.

Last edited:
Their event is in the daytime. They can still attend his party and I fully expect them to.

Great pictures. I love the candid one of them laughing. I wonder if there will be others released tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom