The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-02-2018, 03:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Charles and Camilla were set to attend the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling in 2110, but had to cancel since he hurt his foot. Swedish media reported at the time that William, Harry and Catherine were also invited, but that they chose to attend the World Cup in South Africa instead.

I am surprised Kate would be invited as she was not yet engaged to William at that time (June 2010 ?).

Old 11-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

Yeah, I remember reading that girlfriend Catherine had been invited. No way the BRF would ever approve of sending a girlfriend as official representation. It was an odd story, though a nice gesture from the more informal Swedes (if the story had real merit).

Old 11-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But I do think it's a bit insulting to keep deploying the Wessexes, as if all the more important royals have better things to do!
I find this very insulting towards the Wessexes. They have attended many events in Europe and seem to get on really well with everyone.
Just keep sending them even if they are not considered "important".
Old 11-02-2018, 03:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Friendships have been formed ,quite close ones too, [as the interaction between Queen Maxima with the Countess of Wessex during the recent State visit proved].
I've no doubt the various royals would rather see a friend show up, than a virtual stranger [who may be 'higher ranking'] but who is unfamiliar!
I believe Edward and Sophie were seen sailing with WA and Máxima aboard Princess Beatrix' yacht De Groene Draeck.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Prince Charles actually attended the weddings of the Duke of Brabant, the Prince of Orange, and the Prince of Asturias. He was also present at the funeral service for Prince Claus of the Netherlands. In fact, it was only recently (mostly post-2004) that the Prince of Wales stopped representing the Queen in royal events in the continent.
he also attended the wedding of Haakon and Mette-Marit .
Old 11-02-2018, 04:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by akina21 View Post
he also attended the wedding of Haakon and Mette-Marit .

True. I forgot that one as I don't follow the Norwegian royals very closely.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Why can't the Cambridges and the Sussexes attend once in a while?
Actually as both the Cambridges and the Sussexes are now full time "working" royals for the "Firm", I wouldn't be surprised if they do get sent to foreign occasions instead of Edward and Sophie more often.

If my memory is working today, I think I can safely say that Charles can and does attend occasions where his presence is called for. I think HM sends representatives from the House of Windsor that mesh best with the occasion.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 PM

People seem very quick to suggest that the Wessexes are unimportant. It's hardly like HM has been sending the Harewoods as her representatives at foreign Royal events recently and has desperately been waiting for one of her closer family members to marry/become full time working royals so she can send someone more senior instead! Let's not forget that despite now being tenth in the order of succession, from the time of their marriage until the second wedding of the Prince of Wales, the Wessexes were actually the second highest couple in the order of seniority after HM and the DoE. Even after the weddings of Charles, William and Harry over the last decade or so, the Wessexes are still the fifth most senior couple in the BRF.

I'd say that HM perhaps divides foreign Royal events into ones where she is invited as British Head of State and those where she is invited as distant cousin Elizabeth. The PoW it seems is usually deployed as her representative at the former, whilst the Wessexes have attended when it's the latter. As Charles takes on more of HMs role I'd say we might see the Cambridges taking on some of the former events but that Edward and Sophie are likely to retain the latter ones as being represented at a family event by one of your children is more personal than being represented by one of your grandchildren.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Let's not get too off-topic with the relationship between Charles, the BRF and the continental European royals - that can be discussed in the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...rope-2060.html thread.

Keep this thread for Charles's birthday.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:56 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Several posts have been moved in accordance with the above moderator notice.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Courtier

Any word on the guestlist yet? Anyone from Monaco (hopefully)?
Old 11-06-2018, 04:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post
Any word on the guestlist yet? Anyone from Monaco (hopefully)?
I'd love to see Albert and Charlene attend too but I don't know if the timing will be right as there will be a lot of events on in Monaco next week in the lead up to National Day.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Margareta Thorgren, the Director of the Press department of the Swedish Royal Court, said to Expressen:
- The royal couple received an invitation, but because of the state visit in 13-15 November they have declined. No one else from the royal house will go. The Crown Princess and Prince Daniel will also take part when the Italian president comes here.
Thorgren said also that the king and queen are sorry they can't attend, but the planning for the state visit has been very long, it started already in the spring and therefore, this state visit is a priority.
Kungaparet tvingas säga nej till prins Charles 70-årsfest
Old 11-08-2018, 02:04 AM
Commoner

For the Brits there is a documentary on Charles tonight to commemorate his upcoming birthday. Prince,Son and Heir: Charles at 70 on BBC1 at 9pm
Old 11-08-2018, 02:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Yeah, I remember reading that girlfriend Catherine had been invited. No way the BRF would ever approve of sending a girlfriend as official representation. It was an odd story, though a nice gesture from the more informal Swedes (if the story had real merit).
i think they meant catherine being invited to charles' birthday, not to send her as official representation to the wedding of victoria and daniel.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

On Wednesday November 14th the President of Austria, Mr Alexander van der Bellen and his partner Mrs Doris Schmidauer will bring an official visit to the Netherlands. At Noon, the royal couple will offer a lunch to the presidential couple.

In the evening there will be a banquet but this will be organized by the Prime Minister, Mr Mark Rutte. It will not be in one of the royal palaces, but in the Prime Minister's residence, the Catshuis. It is unusual that a Prime Minister offers a formal banquet for a visiting head of state.

I think this special arrangement was done to enable the King and Queen (and Princess Beatrix) to go to London.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
i think they meant catherine being invited to charles' birthday, not to send her as official representation to the wedding of victoria and daniel.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums....php?p=2167403

As I replied here it was reported that Catherine were invited to Victoria's and Daniel's wedding.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums....php?p=2167403

As I replied here it was reported that Catherine were invited to Victoria's and Daniel's wedding.
But that could just be, to use a topical phrase, "fake news" or just tabloid trash, IMO. Pefsinally, I think it highly unlikely that the then girlfriend of Prince William be invited to the Swedish wedding, unless the couple were close to the SRF.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
But that could just be, to use a topical phrase, "fake news" or just tabloid trash, IMO. Pefsinally, I think it highly unlikely that the then girlfriend of Prince William be invited to the Swedish wedding, unless the couple were close to the SRF.
Which is why I wrote "the media reported". Though that said Charlene Wittstock was there and like Catherine she wasn't engaged to her future husband yet.
As we've already been told off this is something not to be discussed in this thread.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Which is why I wrote "the media reported". Though that said Charlene Wittstock was there and like Catherine she wasn't engaged to her future husband yet.
As we've already been told off this is something not to be discussed in this thread.
Charlene was there, but Charlene and Albert's engagement was announced in the week following the wedding.