The Prince of Wales's 70th Birthday: November 14, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lady Louise

i wonder if LLouise was invited?

Also is there a medal for attending? Seriously asked.:whistling:

I wish I wish there were pictures

Last Sunday we saw Charlène in Paris, with the King of Spain, the Grand-Duke and - Duchess of Luxembourg, with the King and Crown Prince of Morocco, so she does attend gatherings so now and then.

That event had some royals at it but I'm talking about events hosted by royals like weddings, special birthdays, enthronements etc. The last such occasion Charlene attended was Madeleine of Sweden's wedding, Albert has went to everything else since then alone. The Emperor of Japan will be enthroned next year and I bet Albert will attend that by himself too. It's a ridiculous situation.

Last edited:
There was a great royal turn out for the Prince 70th birthday last night at the Palace!

By my count pretty much every monarchy in Europe was represented along with several non reigning houses. Great turnout.

I read the Swedish king, queen, crown princess and prince Daniel couldn't come. Was someone else representing Sweden or is tgat the 'pretty much' but not every single one?!

Queen Sofia was there with her sister Princess Irene but I didn't see King Juan Carlos?

He was also attending; see one of the pictures is this helpful overview by Hello (although still no pictures of princess Beatrix it seems and of the royal houses I'm also still looking for Liechtenstrein - assuming Sweden didn't attend).

Last edited by a moderator:
Were Elena of Romania, the Liechtensteins, or any Baden or other German cousins there? Any more of the Greek Rf? Thanks

Exactly :flowers:, that's why I wrote that I had read that the 4 of them couldn't come and asked whether someone else attended given that Rudolph concluded that pretty much all reigning houses attended...

Maybe the invitation was only extended to the key royals (former heads of state, current heads of state and future heads of state)? Otherwise, Carl Philip and Sofia could have represented the king.

Last edited:
I noticed that William wasn’t wearing glasses while driving last night- he usually does. Perhaps he’s wearing contacts now?

Exactly :flowers:, that's why I wrote that I had read that the 4 of them couldn't come and asked whether someone else attended given that Rudolph concluded that pretty much all reigning houses attended...

Maybe the invitation was only extended to the key royals (former heads of state, current heads of state and future heads of state)? Otherwise, Carl Philip and Sofia could have represented the king.

But Carl Philip and Sofia also were participating in the State visit, which is why I said the family was busy...

Last edited:
But Carl Philip and Sofia also were participating in the State visit, which is why I said the family was busy...

It was the second day of the state visit, so not the state banquet. I'd say as the more minor royals they could have skipped the afternoon and evening activities of the second day.

Were any of the Middletons invited?

My view is that pictures or videos from inside BP were not released the evening of the party because of political events of the evening.

It was the afternoon the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement was being discussed at Cabinet, and the marathon session lasted from 2pm till past 7pm, with the PM addressing the media shortly before 8pm. That clashed with the c8pm arrival time of the guests at BP. To avoid ending up with potential negative commentary of the royals partying with other royals at a time when the government was potentially teetering on the edge of collapse, I think the decision was taken to restrict media coverage.

IMO, this is precisely why photographers were not allowed to gather outside BP, as they usually do, to photograph arrivals. However, as an acknowledgement of the media interest, they released a picture of C&C at Clarence House, and tipped off some photographers to head to KP to get pictures of the Cambridge and Sussex couples as they left KP. When attending formal events, the Cambridge and Sussex couples are usually driven to BP. In this case, with a view to letting the photographers get better pictures, William and Harry drove themselves, with their wives seated in the front alongside them.

Andy T, I also wondered if any of Prince Philip's German relatives attended.
I like how regal looking Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary of Denmark are.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqMqbFkgtlp

The Palace always plays down visits from the German side of the family. I can understand that in the past this was necessary to respect sensibilities and avoid the press baying about the Saxe-Coburg, Hesse and Baden connections. But surely now it is time to move on. The British Royals are part of a wider European Royal family which, in these dreadful times, could be a powerful example of the links that connect the people of the continent together, and representative of so many other families which cross borders, as a result of increased mobility and emigration.

On a more general note, I so wish the palace would release a full guest list, even after the fact. It's irritating not to be sure who attended and who didn't.

Frederik and Mary certainly do look regal, yet not in the least aloof. Denmark is very fortunate. ?

The Palace always plays down visits from the German side of the family. I can understand that in the past this was necessary to respect sensibilities and avoid the press baying about the Saxe-Coburg, Hesse and Baden connections. But surely now it is time to move on. The British Royals are part of a wider European Royal family which, in these dreadful times, could be a powerful example of the links that connect the people of the continent together, and representative of so many other families which cross borders, as a result of increased mobility and emigration.

On a more general note, I so wish the palace would release a full guest list, even after the fact. It's irritating not to be sure who attended and who didn't.

Frederik and Mary certainly do look regal, yet not in the least aloof. Denmark is very fortunate. [emoji2]
I don't see why the guest list needs to be released for a private event. It was not an official engagement.

Vestry's outfit was out there and for the wrong venue but she may have dressed this way to get press. Her competition for attention are royal duchesses, crown princesses and queens - women who wear beautiful gowns and dazzling jewels and who have the media's primary attention. By comparison Vestry is low in the pecking order and a shocking outfit will get her press.

Last edited:
Marie Chantal, really, with the selfie? Why did she feel the need to pull a Kardashian move like that? I know Greece's monarchy is no more, but still. And she has given interviews about Meghan. I would have love to have been a fly on the wall for conversations between these two.

I imagine Prince Pavlos is welcome at Buckingham Palace, due to his, and his family's long connection and intimate ties with the BRF..

Marie Chantal [markedly] LESS SO...

Back
Top Bottom