The Prince of Wales's 60th Birthday Celebrations: November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you are all right about Marie Chantal.I'm gonna use an expression we have in Greece:"She looks as if someone has killed her mother" ;)
Was she accompanied by Nikolaos?Because I haven't seen Pavlos yet.

There are links to pictures of Princess Letizia in this very thread, garbo, if you read back through the pages.

I guess you are all right about Marie Chantal.I'm gonna use an expression we have in Greece:"She looks as if someone has killed her mother" ;)
Was she accompanied by Nikolaos?Because I haven't seen Pavlos yet.

MC and Pavlos were seated in the back. Nikolaos sat in front of MC. You can see a hint of Pavlos next to MC in this photo gallery from Belga:
BelgaPicture - Category details

or this from Zimbio:
Guests Arriving For Prince Charles's 60th Birthday Party (USA AN - Pictures - Zimbio

I think they have confused Lord Nicholas with his brother . I think there was the Earl of Saint Andrews in the car with Lady Paola and maybe also in the photo with Lady Taylor..

I have followed this discussion and I think you are right. In other pictures I have been going through tonight, you can see clearly that the Countess of St. Andrew's is seated in the car to the left of Paola and behind her husband, the Earl of St. Andrew's. Although the two brothers are looking more and more alike with age, I do believe the man in that photo is the Earl and not his younger brother.

I have a quick question was a group photo from the party supposed to be released or was that merely speculation?

I think they have confused Lord Nicholas with his brother . I think there was the Earl of Saint Andrews in the car with Lady Paola and maybe also in the photo with Lady Taylor..

It does make more sense for the Earl to attend with his wife on such an occasion.

All right here's my take on the fashion and what nots:

Marie-Chantal: She didn't look too happy to be there. And what's up with that hair? Maybe she forgot to comb.

Mary: She looked like she was going to a Halloween party. She looked really nice in the car until I saw the whole dress.

Maxima: There were photos where her hair was a disaster. Didn't care much about the dress either, too much frou frou.

Mathilde: Oh sweet Mathilde. Am I the only one who didn't like her dress? I thought it was too flat and not for her age. It was something better suited for someone like Camilla. Nevertheless she was beautiful.

Letizia: I haven't seen her dress to have an opinion. Some said it was blue? Well, maybe we'll see it again next gala event.

Cristina: She dressed like a grandma and someone said in another forum that she looked "poor". No jewels and her dress was boring and matronly. How come I've never heard/read any comments on her at this event?

Victoria: Didn't care much for this dress. Of all her dresses that she had to recycle why this one? Nice hair though.

Rania: Too bad we don't have a better view of her dress and only car shots. I bet she was marvelous or better yet the best dressed there.

I wished Elena would've gone and no doubt she would've been the best dressed.

were kate and chelsy the other day at buckingham palace? i remember hearing they were attending the party - but maybe they meant the private one tonight.

We had a chance to watch 'We are most amused' this morning and I can see why Charles thought it was so funny. John Cleese was great, although he did go on a little too much playing the doddery old fool. It was great when he said 'Happy Birthday Prince', made out he had forgotten who, looked to his assistants and then said 'Charles you old fool'. So many really funny remarks by him. Andrew Sachs was made very welcome in the second half. Omid Djalili is a comic genius, as were most of the turns:D:D

Bill Bailey hilarious, as was Robin Williams, Eric Idle, the Royal Ballet, Kings Troop too many to mention really. Probably an evening enjoyed best by the older generation or those with the typically British sense of Goon Show/Life of Brian/Fawlty Towers humour!:D:D

Great pics of the guests arriving at last night's party on Rex Features. It was good to see Zara, Helen Taylor and Freddie and Ella Windsor at this one as they didn't seem to have attended the Concert at Buckingham Palace. Perhaps they thought this one looked more fun! Both Zara and Ella were looking very glamorous and Sophie's dress was very pretty also.

Thanks for the clarification,Ayvee!Although I still can't see Pavlos in the car.To be honest,it clicked my mind that Pavlos and MC might have had a fight during that day,that's why I thought she looked like that and was accompanied by Nikolaos.But nothing like that has happened.Anyway,about Mary's and MC's dresses,I would like to comment that black lace is the ultimate trend this winter,but unfortunately,they didn't make the best choices...
Oh,and something else:Has Queen Rania attended?I thought she hasn't.

Hey guys where Kate e Chelsy? They go to the party?

There are no pics of Kate or Chelsey arriving at the concert at BP or last night's party so they don't appear to have attended these events.

Great pics of the guests arriving at last night's party on Rex Features. It was good to see Zara, Helen Taylor and Freddie and Ella Windsor at this one as they didn't seem to have attended the Concert at Buckingham Palace. Perhaps they thought this one looked more fun! Both Zara and Ella were looking very glamorous and Sophie's dress was very pretty also.

And here is a link Rex Features - Photographic press agency and picture library

Interesting to see also Laura Parker-Bowles, Andrew Parker & wife.

I'm surprised Beatrice was there but not Eugenie. Perhaps, Eugenie has school?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some people wondering that some royals went to one party and another lot went to another. The first party was given by the Queen and she invited the people she wanted at her son´s birthday celebration, the second was given by the Duchess of Cornwall for her husband and she invited the people she wanted to some went to both because they were invited to both. That´s the way it goes.

What can I say about royals on the gala event?

I expect much more and better photos specially from this event...
Even group photo wasn't released.
I expect wonderful fashion but maybe with the exception of few ladies or not I don't saw nothing good.
Only jewels looks fantastic.

Mathilde maybe other colour of her gown.
Victoria again.
Mary idea was good but in practice it doesn't work.
Letizia - hard to say. The same about Silvia, Sonja...
Maxima should do better hairdo.

Photos from Nov 15 looks better.

I honestly don't know what sort of "look" Mary was going for. She looked like she had been done up by hair-and-make-up people for a 30's movie. And the outfit was almost goth. It's strange, because she usually looks really wonderful. :ermm:

Agree! Dresswise Mary as well as Marie Chantell were out of
character, IMHO. I'm not really into the fashion side of CP Mary,
but I've never seen anything like it. Wonder if they did this goth-stunt
on purpose? :cool:

Another thing: There's very little in the public domain about the event
at BP on Thursday evening. There's no guest list, in fact we don't even know the number of guests!
The BBC said that there were about 400 "European royalty,
friends and members of his chariable organisations. Other reports
mentioned something in the neighbourhood of 170 guests.

How this party given by HM can be perceived as "private" is a riddle
to me! It seems to have all the ingredients of an official "we're-obliged-to-invite-these-people-and-now-there-is-an-opportunity" event.

This is probably none of my Danish business, but I just don't get it:)!

what will be the next big gala like this one?

RE: the whole Monaco absence -
QE II always seemed to welcome Princess Grace and Rainier when both were still alive.
Albert - I don't know, but I do remember an event of not too many years ago when Caroline and Ernst were invited - maybe a Jubilee or royal birthday - and everyone remarked on the extremely low curtsey which Caroline gave to the Queen.
And seeing how Ernst once figured in the list of succession to the British throne, I do not understand why they were not there -
As for other German royalty, I feel that the House of Windsor has always kept a long-standing distance (since World War II) away from German royalty.

It's only according to a stupid photographer. Total hearsay! Especially hard to believe W-A was so unwilling since he is the only royal photographed with a photographer. Not to mention the fact that him and his wife are likely the most photographed of the royal guests when leaving their hotel.

Besides this was a private event having photographers pacing out in front of the hotel or wherever these royals were when the photos were captured is a little irritating possibly. Back when W-A had his private 40th bash I don't remember these types of photos being taken of guests leaving to go to the party. Maybe W-A was expecting more privacy for such an event. Who knows! I'm just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.
In the pic he looked friendly enough :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom