The Press and Charles and Camilla

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AgnesK

Aristocracy
City
Wroclaw
Country
Poland
What do you think? Were/Are they fairly treated? Will Camilla be the star of the show at some stage ? What about Charles' work? Is it reported? And what do you think about royal "correspondents"? Is it a proper job ;) ?

AgnesK said:
What do you think? Were/Are they fairly treated? Will Camilla be the star of the show at some stage ? What about Charles' work? Is it reported? And what do you think about royal "correspondents"? Is it a proper job ;) ?

I think They are being more than fairly treated. Few correspondents attack them. Charles is happy with his new wife and old love. The very thing that undid ( if there is such a word) his great uncle, King Edward VIII, being with the woman he loves is now his strength. People are willing to forgive and foget. What is the difference to them. They love the glitz and the glamour. Is Camilla stealing or will steal the stage, it is only because of jewelry and clothes. Women's attire is far more interesting than a man suit and tie. Tiara's and gowns are what draws attention. It is neither good nor bad, it just is. Charles tries to be relevant, but work is not exactly what he does. He has a staff that plans, writes and places him in the right spot. He is a patron not a director. Directors work, Charles dabbles, but that is his job. He waves to crowds and give speeches. Royals don't work per se. What the "hard working" ones do is exhausting none the less. It is hard to be onstage all the time. As for royal correspondents, it is a proper job, because people are interested in the gossip and hype. If not there would be no such job. Some do it better than others. And each, according to their own point of view, sees them in a good or bad light. It is an interesting subject, so thank you for opening the thread.

They are treated better then ever before, I suppose but I would like more focuse on the immense work Prince Charles does.

I think a lot of the so called 'royal reporters' have ended up with egg on their faces.
They try to pass it off as reporting but, of course, it is based on rumour and innuendo, nameless sources, close un-named friends, facts rarely play a major part in their stories. All of them seem to bring their own 'luggage' to the telling of a story. Facts do not sell a paper as well as a half naked woman or a pretty face. The 'actually we were both at fault', is not going to sell as many papers as a poor little me story.
Even the photo's are selected to go with the image they want to portray, which is why so many unflattering photo's were published (still are by some papers) of Camilla.
The public were manipulated by the press into hating Camilla and Charles but, those that wern't so easily led are now leading the support for Charles and Camilla.

Very little is said about the wonderful work Charles does and has done over the years, the millions he has raised, the money he has personally donated. Charles has worked hard at picking the right people to help him to run his charity and of course he still has to make executive decisions pertaining to it.

I wonder if the papers would have ignored all his charity work if he hadn't been married to such a diverting wife and then had all the marital problems. I mean, charities that assist underprivileged young people don't really have that much media appeal, unfortunately.

Ignoring the reporters who are prejudiced due to Diana, I think they are being fairly treated finally. Unfortunately the press has focused on Charles private life since Diana, and IMO not many people really understand or appreciate Charles' work. You know there is a problem when some people on this board and other royalty boards also obviously have little understanding for Charles' work.
I sometimes question that Royal reporters like Whitaker have a real job when I or any people on this board could have written a more accurate article on what's going on in Royal circles. :)

The problem with both Windsor and Grimaldi is that their lifes are soap-opera material and (unfortunately) people tend to focus more on that and not in all the work they do:cool: so it's kinda unfair.

Elspeth said:
I mean, charities that assist underprivileged young people don't really have that much media appeal, unfortunately.

That is very true and it is the charities that don't have media appeal that really need the help. Thank goodness Charles and now Camilla are able to offer their patronage and publicity to the less glamourous ones. :)

Today at supermarket I saw the newest papers of yellow press. Almost all held the title story with the anniversary of Charles and Camilla. And everywhere you can read: "the marriage doesn`t work...Camilla wants to divorce...Charles is/was cheating on her..she is spending too much money...the Queen, Anne, Sophie are hating her" and so on. I`m coming from Germany and the yellow press is very anti-Camilla here. That worries me a lot. And most people believe the lies and fictionally stories there. May be a visit from C+C here will bring better opinions. I would wish it for them.

hornsen said:
Today at supermarket I saw the newest papers of yellow press. Almost all held the title story with the anniversary of Charles and Camilla. And everywhere you can read: "the marriage doesn`t work...Camilla wants to divorce...Charles is/was cheating on her..she is spending too much money...the Queen, Anne, Sophie are hating her" and so on. I`m coming from Germany and the yellow press is very anti-Camilla here. That worries me a lot. And most people believe the lies and fictionally stories there. May be a visit from C+C here will bring better opinions. I would wish it for them.

Sounds like one of the papers here (the Express) that the anti Charles and Camilla mob love to quote.

Are the press trying to force charles to abdicate?

I was thinking about this for ages - every single press news seems to always depict charles in a negative light pretty much most of the time 24/7.Each comment is either being ridiculed or laughed at and he is constantly the butt of not very nice jokes both him and camilla.

I know that he is a public figure and that is all fair game but when will this nonstop harassment end? It seems to be getting worse and worse and more and more personal as time goes by and sadly there is little charles can really do about it.

I understand that people dislike charles and camilla and even despise them but for goodness sake he is not going anywhere so why can't they just leave him alone?:mad:

I don't think the press is trying to make Charles abdicate. I think they just want him to know that some people are not happy with him and just simply want him to know that. Unfortunately, that is the essence of the press and want to influence the public to have a certain opinion of him. The press know they ar powerful and can make or break someone quite easily. I don't think they are trying to make him give up the throne, they just like making fun of him and giving him bad publicity.

It makes you wonder just what 'the press' want in a Prince of Wales. If they are trying to negatively influence opinion about him, on the whole they are failing. Most people here have a very low opinion of the press, having seen how others manipulated them in the past.

The media would like everyone to believe they are all powerful but, I don't think ordinary people are as gullible nowadays. With the internet, people can get a broader picture of what Charles and Camilla do. You will always get those sorry souls who delight in a negative story about them, because of a mistake he made a few years ago but, most people, in reality, have moved on.

I sincerely hope so skydragon because I keep wondering about this hatred or dislike of charles and camilla and everywhere I read or see pictures everything looks pretty normal - people seem to enjoy meeting them etc and they both look happy and doing whatever they are doing so it really irritates me when the tabloids like the sun and the daily mail etc always enjoy putting them both down.Honestly how much more????

shaan said:
I sincerely hope so skydragon because I keep wondering about this hatred or dislike of charles and camilla and everywhere I read or see pictures everything looks pretty normal - people seem to enjoy meeting them etc and they both look happy and doing whatever they are doing so it really irritates me when the tabloids like the sun and the daily mail etc always enjoy putting them both down.Honestly how much more????

The silly thing about it is that when reading through the articles posted, on this site and others, since the wedding, the 'good' articles outweigh the 'bad'. If the press can find something bad to put, they keep using it, with IMO the belief that if they print it often enough, it will be seen as 'fact'.
When I post articles, I post the bad as well as the good (sometimes they have already been posted :D ), I may ridicule the article or put what I believe are the facts.

It all boils down to what people want to believe about them but, as you say, everything looks normal and they are well received wherever they go. Charles and Camilla will outlast the majority of tabloid editors! :D

i have noticed they print the most unflattering photos of camilla. We see groups of photos here and it hardly fails to surprise me the ones they pick to print. for instance the event she looks so pretty in blue, there a several lovely pics of her, but they pick the one with her mouth open, that made her look ugly. they are cruel if you ask me and do it on purpose. i can only assume they are aiming for the "haters" not the "lovers" of the royal couple for selling their papers. i'm glad they are so in love and happy, hopefully it's easier to laugh and ignore the negative press.

hornsen said:

Hi hornsen,

I don't want to criticize your country unfairly as I lived there and enjoyed it immensely but doesn't the German tabloid press have one of the worst reputations in the international media?

I'm under the impression that they don't report on anyone favorably. If so, picking on Charles and Camilla should be par for the course with the way that they treat everybody else.

bbb said:
i have noticed they print the most unflattering photos of camilla. We see groups of photos here and it hardly fails to surprise me the ones they pick to print. for instance the event she looks so pretty in blue, there a several lovely pics of her, but they pick the one with her mouth open, that made her look ugly. they are cruel if you ask me and do it on purpose. i can only assume they are aiming for the "haters" not the "lovers" of the royal couple for selling their papers. i'm glad they are so in love and happy, hopefully it's easier to laugh and ignore the negative press.

There's only one tabloid publication I see in the supermarkets that always has a Camilla-Charles breakup story on the cover so I don't think that is excessive negative press. They also love to print stories of Camilla trying to break up Wills and Kate. :rolleyes: But among all the tabloids on the shelf, its the only one and its not a very famous one. Some of the others stoop pretty low but they don't carry Charles/Camilla stories. They'd rather go on about Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. :)

Camilla and the Press

Has anybody noticed that Camilla seems to be getting quite good press recently in general, and the Daily Mail in particular? Is this a result of Camilla potentially being positioned as "a good egg", the nations grandmother, and a supporter of British values?

I think it's probably more to do with the fact that even the Daily Mail has to admit that she is not the devil incarnate and has been quietly serving the country for the last 5 years in an exemplary fashion.

Plus, when you see the way William and Harry have welcomed her into their family and are so evidently comfortable with her position there, it's incredibly infantile for anyone else to take issue with her position.

If the tabloids like it or not: Charles is going to be king and Camilla is his wife.Whatever she is called then, she will be the wife of the king and thus becomes as untouchable as Charles as long as she does not create faux pas of her own.

The tabloids know that and have to work in advance to get a better rapport with Charles and Camilla, because once Charles ascends, he will be sacrosanct as the souverain and all know that. And they are all getting ready: from the Di-Express ähh, Daily Express who run a story that Camilla prefers to be known as Princess Consort rather than be Queen to the Daily Mail who now tries to get better access to Camilla through reporting on her patronages.

It's sad to see but a lot of institutions including the media are readying themselves for Charles' ascent. Because you never know....

I hope this is the correct place to put this.

Camilla Tominey, a columnist for the Daily Express who was invited to the Palace reception for the media last week, was evidently so impressed when she met Camilla that she now believes that she should be allowed to call herself 'Queen' when the time comes, not this silly Princess Consort nonsense.

Dutchess Fit For Role of Queen

It may only be me, but I sense that the argument generally, such as it is, is slowly moving in this direction.

The press did a horrible thing when they published what turned into "Camillagate". I cannot imagine a more brutal intrusion into privacy and a more embarrassing situation for people living in unwanted publicity, especially for Camilla, who was not raised to deal with suchsurveillance. Absolutely noone deserves to be humillated like this and I honestly believe that Camilla has been a very brave woman when she started making public appearances, she must have been scared, people know to much about her. It speaks for her and the strength of the relationship between her and Charles that she went through this.

Here in Germany the articles are so-so, alot of "Charles cheats on Camilla, she deserves it", or "Camilla wants a divorce", but it seems to get a little better in with time.

From this board, I know that Camilla is a rather attractive person with humour and heart, I wouldn't know that from the german press, comparatively the english press is friendly.

Since Camilla will not be "my" Queen Consort, or Queen, my opinion is based on theorie, but for me it makes no sense to style her different than the wifes of former Kings before her. She is the wife of the King then, period.

Last edited:
This is probably one of the most glowing articles about the Duchess that I have had the chance to come across. I agree; she will be a great Queen Consort when her time comes. She has done a great deal during the past six and a half years as the member of the Royal Family and Prince Charles's wife. She's someone who would make others feel at ease, and that's one of the key things a royal should be able to do (it can be intimidating meeting a new person, but when that person is royal, it's even more so). She's passionate about her causes, and yes, the most important thing is; she makes Charles happy and gives him support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure Charles will wish for Camilla to be made Queen Consort & I agree that she would carry out this role well, but in this matter I think he should put his private wishes second to what may be the wishes of the country/commonwealth. If there is a strong mood against her being crowned, imo he should accept this rather than cause any potential rift.

I'm sure Charles will wish for Camilla to be made Queen Consort & I agree that she would carry out this role well, but in this matter I think he should put his private wishes second to what may be the wishes of the country/commonwealth. If there is a strong mood against her being crowned, imo he should accept this rather than cause any potential rift.

And how is the "mood" or "wishes" of the country/commonwealth supposed to be determined?

A public vote IMO.

So an election/public vote should be held to determine if Camilla should be called Princess Consort or Queen Consort? Public votes are not cheap and to conduct one for someone who isn't even the actual Head of State seems very odd to me.

Is this something that would actually happen in the UK and/or the Commonwealth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom